Let The Eagle Scream!

Does America enter WWI?

• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extra! War Fear Grows as German-American Split Widens, Russian Tensions Escalate
It's not a chapter (sorry!) but here's a preview of things to come after the war to hold y'all over. Basically, see America's first "Shadow War" freak out about nuclear Armageddon

The New York Times

Extra! War Fear Grows as German-American Split Widens, Russian Tensions Escalate

September 3rd, 1953

(Washington)-Paranoia has seized the nation and its capital today, as the anti-American rhetoric of the German Empire intensifies in the wake of Washington's condemnation of continued German Occupation in India. President Rockefeller stated yesterday that "The continued oppression of the authoritarian German Raj is unacceptable in this day and age. The United States can not just sit idly by and watch as the nation most heavily victimized by Orwell's insane "End Plan" is now being brutally exploited and bombarded by another European power. It is time for the Germans to admit defeat and head home." Chancellor Ulbricht fired back "Now that the war is over, the United States should do what it has always done; cower behind the oceans and let the world solve its own problems, without Yankee intervention." Around the world, leaders aligned with both superpowers are fortifying in the event of a possibly catastrophic conflict. Shared colonial borders between the US and Germany have become increasingly tense as well. Italy has so far stood fast with their German patrons, which is believed to be the cause of Washington's cancellation of trade talks. Liberia has stood fast beside our Union, which has resulted in several border skirmishes with Italian and German troops. President Rockefeller has declared that any substantial attack on Liberia by Italo-German forces "Will be treated as if it were an attack on Vermont."

All the while, the Russian double headed eagle prowls the world, looking for weaknesses to exploit. Indeed, the German-American split might be their biggest opportunity to gain ground in this new global age of "superpower rivalry." Having secured parts of the Middle East, Manchuria, Northern Korea, and Serbia for their "Christian-Islamic Bloc," the Ruskie menace now turns towards the rest of Asia and Eastern Europe. Supreme Director Stalin declared "The Union of Orthodox Christian States will soon spread the light of true Christendom across the world! No more shall the papists, Protestants, Hindoos, or primitive ancestor worshipers prevent the coming of Christ!" As tensions in Korea and India reach a boiling point, the world is on edge as war appears inevitable.

Around the Union, citizens have been spotted buying food and supplies, as the Civil Defense Agency's warnings about a possible "Atom War" seem to have been taken seriously by the public. The most we can do at this point is pray....

videoblocks-united-states-1960s-empty-shelves-full-trolleys-people-panic-buy-food-for-fallout-shelters-lorries-in-car-park_bdflduv1og_thumbnail-small01.jpg

Shoppers clear out the canned food aisle at a Des Moines area grocery store in preparation for what the CDA calls "Absolute Atomic Annihilation."

Last edited:

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Ooh, a German-American split and a three-way cold shadow war? This will be most interesting indeed. And, of course, the Shadow War (or in German: Schattenkrieg; or in Russian: Теневая война (tenevaya voyna)) is going to be a great read once things heat up, I can already forsee. I may have to steal this terminology for one of my projects because I love it so much, if you don't mind.

As for India... Well, I talked with Murica on this a few months back, and while it's the world's only [REDACTED] that I'm aware of, one must remember that you will have a government that, at this point, is incredibly anti-British (and naturally with the Deutsches Kaiserreich joining in the fun, anti-colonialist overall) after TTL's Holocaust analogue. How it aligns in this postwar tripolar world is anyone's guess, but that really depends on America's comfort levels dealing with them.

As someone who has worked at grocery stores for a hurricane I don't want even think what it would be like in the event of WWIII

I couldn't even imagine. I almost feel like employees would have to carry pepper spray or something for their own protection.

Well shit.

I promise, nothing too bad happens. It's more of a scare/shock to the system.

Ooh, a German-American split and a three-way cold shadow war? This will be most interesting indeed. And, of course, the Shadow War (or in German: Schattenkrieg; or in Russian: Теневая война (tenevaya voyna)) is going to be a great read once things heat up, I can already forsee. I may have to steal this terminology for one of my projects because I love it so much, if you don't mind.

As for India... Well, I talked with Murica on this a few months back, and while it's the world's only [REDACTED] that I'm aware of, one must remember that you will have a government that, at this point, is incredibly anti-British (and naturally with the Deutsches Kaiserreich joining in the fun, anti-colonialist overall) after TTL's Holocaust analogue. How it aligns in this postwar tripolar world is anyone's guess, but that really depends on America's comfort levels dealing with them.

Go for it! I believe I saw Shadow War somewhere else and used it (don't remember where tho).

TTL's Shadow War is going to be pretty intense. Lots of twists and turns I'm still trying to figure out.

India is going to be an interesting player in world affairs. However, I could see them and the Americans getting on pretty well ITTL, and seeing each other as "Brothers and Sisters in Liberty." India is going to be somewhat hypocritical about the anti-colonialism aspect of their ideology, in that they will turn a blind eye to America's colonialism. But hey, when Uncle Sam footed the bill for your independence, you can give the old man some slack.

I couldn't even imagine. I almost feel like employees would have to carry pepper spray or something for their own protection.
They had me, another six foot tall plus employee plus a pair of mangers who were also over six foot tall handing out water during Irma. Each of use was around 180 to 220 weight range and all have been through some shit. That should tell you how things are

Chapter 29: The Middle Eastern and Balkan Fronts
Here you get to see the Germans and Russians really butt heads while America sneaks in and influences certain countries..

Chapter 29: The Middle Eastern and Balkan Fronts

The Balkan and Middle Eastern fronts of WWII were among the most consequential ones for humanity's future, as they helped set the stage for the three-way "Shadow War" that would pit the world's superpowers against each other. Here, world straddling empires would marry their wartime necessities to native animosities and feuds...

In the Balkans, the Russo-German-Italian Alliance backed Hungary and Yugoslavia against Anglo-French supported Serbia. Bulgaria played both sides, which would eventually lead to its downfall. When the war had started, Serbia took the opportunity to invade Yugoslavia's Bosnia region, with the intention to force the local Bosnian Muslims out and colonize the territory. This predictably caused massive bloodshed, as Serbian troops waged a concentrated campaign of ethnic cleansing against their ethnic rivals. Particularly notorious was Milan Nedic, the so-called "Butcher of Sarajevo," who led his troops in a razing of half of the Bosnian city. However, by 1942 the tide of war turned against the Serbians and their allies. The Russians switching to the Allies in 40, combined with the wearing down of Serbia's reserves saw the nation occupied by the UOCS in 1943, after brutal fighting and so called "human wave charges." The nation was turned into a puppet state that essentially recycled the Unitist's old propaganda, minus the territorial ambitions. Shortly after Occupation was established in August, the UOCS crashed into Bulgaria after accusing the nation of harboring Serbian war criminals. This was completely false, but no one was willing to jeopardize the newly regained peace in the Balkans on account of the "perfidious Bulgarians." By 1945 Bulgaria was Russia's newest Balkan puppet, and began eyeing Greece up for annexation....

Meanwhile in Greece, the US began funding anti-Unitist rebels to eventually replace the regime. The Greek government knew what was happening but failed to take action against America, correctly assuming that such an action would be used to justify invasion. However, as the war wound down and the Russians pushed their sphere of influence to Greece's borders, Washington took a different tune. The Greeks agreed to gradually liberalize their nation, and in return the Americans would protect them from Turkish reprisals and Russian aggression.

The Middle East was a complicated mess of ethnic and religious rivalries, that the war only exacerbated. Once the shock of Britain's massive impromptu invasion of Iran wore off, the Russians and their allies gave the Brits a walloping. Russo-Iranian forces wound up pushing the Brits out of Afghanistan, and began bumping up against India. The UOCS actually did invade part of Northern India, only to get violently rebuked by the British who not only pushed them back, but nearly retook Afghanistan from the over-extended Russian forces. Meanwhile in the rest of the Middle East, German allied Kurds and Russian backed Turks invaded British holdings in Syria, Iraq, and the Arabian Peninsula. Increasing anti-British sentiment among native populations aided this cause immensely. However, pushing the British back in many ways just opened up a can of worms no one was expecting. Formerly cooperative tribal leaders turned on one another and their patrons, jockeying for power. Religious violence exploded in Palestine as a direct result of Germany's encouragement of Jewish settlement, prompting a massive wave of reinforcements to back the already 100,000 strong occupying army.

As the Middle East exploded in flames, President Roosevelt and his staff saw an opening for American influence. The Iranians were increasingly upset by Russian concessions to Sunni Arabs in an attempt to woo them from the Germans. The US smoothly came in at the rift's worst point right before the end of the war in '45 and promised that "the United States of America will always guarantee Shi'ite religious liberty and Persian dignity." Combined with a promise of protection and a substantial cash gift, this was enough to make Iran the only staunchly pro-American nation in the region. Battle lines were being drawn....

dd7e12d4d5a5fca40e6120ac5cc0db05.jpg

Sarajevo after being devastated by Serbian forces

1021478479.jpg

Members of the Red Star Brigade marching through Bulgaria in the winter

Vickers-MG-Eight-Army-px800.jpg

British soldiers repel a Russian attack on the border between India and Afghanistan

4F7CE8F9-D2E6-41F7-BDBB-EEB7F2F7BF2A_cx0_cy7_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Ambassador Eisenhower with the Iranian shah, circa 1950

Chapter 30: The Pacific Front
Chapter 30: The Pacific Front

Many have argued that the Pacific front of WWII was the most hellish war in human history. The Balkans and Middle East might have had more ethnic rivalries, but in the infested jungles of the Pacific islands, mankind seemed to show his worst. Whether it was American troops cutting gold teeth out of Japanese soldiers or Japanese civilians engaging in suicide bombings against American forces, the Pacific front was uniquely vicious...

Following the surprise attack on Manila, the Japanese quickly overwhelmed the Philippines. Fearing an invasion of Indochina, the colonial government there quickly conscripted thousands of native Vietnamese and Cambodians, galling them to fight by telling them stories of Japanese brutality in China and Korea. These men would form the 1st Indochina Division, and would be the first all-Asian division of the US military to also be led by Asian officers. Convinced they had to fight twice as hard as their comrades to impress their colonizers (who could grant them more rights) the 1st fought like hell in Thailand, the Philippines, Burma, the various Pacific islands, and in beating back a large but unprepared Japanese invasion force. Thanks to their bravery, several more divisions were raised from Indochina, and the American press began calling the Vietnamese in particular "our Ghurkas."

For the first year and a half of the war in Asia, Japan seemed to have the US Navy on the run. However, the fateful Battle of Midway on June 8th, 1941 changed that. The bulk of Japan's aircraft carriers were sunk, many never to be replaced. At home, cheering crowds surged in the streets as the IJN seemed to be crumbling like poorly made concrete. From there on out, the US Navy had the run of the Pacific, especially as Japan began to face resource shortages at home. However, while the Navy might have had Japan on the run, the Marines and Army had a much tougher job....

Okinawa. Iwo Jima. These islands, among others are the insignificant little dots on the map that the Americans and Japanese would soak in blood. The Americans needed these key islands to get closer to the Japanese Home Islands, and thus, to ending the war. The Japanese, motivated by truly outlandish anti-American propaganda (for instance, US troops were accused of being vampires) and the power of the Imperial Cult, were determined to fight to the bitter end. Combined with tropical heat, disease, and as time went on, a mutual hatred that bordered on the genocidal, and the result was something like Hell on Earth. Thousands of men lost their lives in brutal ways as the American war machine slowly ground its way to Japan and the Philippines. Slowly but surely however, the Union marched within striking distance of Japan, and began bombing the home islands.

Before reaching Japan, the US liberated the Philippines in a relatively short campaign in 1943-1944. Japanese rule was always weak, and the locals resisted their occupiers with everything they had. The quick win in the Philippines was a massive boost to public enthusiasm back in the Homeland. Even more importantly, a single moment caught on film rallied the whole country, including the territories, closer to the Stars and Stripes than ever. Right after the Japanese fled Manila (and the Philippines) a hodgepodge force of different divisions marched in. They included Southerners, Northerners, African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Asian-Americans from all corners of the Union. Every single one of them was "hollering Yankee Doodle so loud, the Jap Emperor could have heard them in Tokyo." This single moment was the spark for a new ideology called "Pan-Americanism," one that would unite all of America's states and territories.

By August 1945, the War was all but over. The Brits had bowed out (but not before America took Burma). All that was left was Japan. Despite Japan being at this point, a starving, bombed out wreck, the Japanese were determined to fight on. Plans were made for an invasion of the Home Islands, which was anticipated to be nearly genocidal in brutality on both sides. However, after seeing the Russians take Manchuria from Japan and get ready to annex Korea, Washington authorized the use of two atomic bombs. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were targeted, and destroyed by atomic bombs, on August 8th and August 10th respectively. The Japanese sued for peace, and the bloodiest war in human history was finally over....

7b6327629f52cc05b20680a12e4e73a0.jpg

An example of Pan-American propaganda

IwoJimaHeader.jpg

The American flag is raised on Iwo Jima

american-and-filipino-civilians-cheer-from-the-santo-tomas-university-picture-id51511584

Filipinos gather to celebrate their liberation. They were also filmed singing Yankee Doodle in a further propaganda boost to the American Empire

220px-Nagasakibomb.jpg

The nuking of Hiroshima

Last edited:
What the bloody hell were the Japanese doing at Guadalcanal? That was a British Territory at the start of WWII OTL. Why go there and not take Indochina?

What the bloody hell were the Japanese doing at Guadalcanal? That was a British Territory at the start of WWII OTL. Why go there and not take Indochina?

Oops! Forgot that about Gudacanal. Did I not have the Germans take it after WWI? As for Indochina, ITTL they were a bit too bogged down by a more organized China

Edit: Just to be clear, China was still divided, but the lack of a clear ideological rivalry between nationalists and Communists made things better.

Second Edit: I think I'll have the Germans take the Solomon Islands in WWI. They already took Pacific islands originally, so it's just a few extra

Last edited: