Any place as capable of supporting large population as india or china?

To be honest, Europe would probably fulfil this if you just avoided the world wars. Without the enormous death toll and fleeing refugees, Europe could probably have a population of a billion or more. Even today, the continent has something like 750 million people, a lot of unused farmland in the East, and is a net food exporter. Some more peace and prosperity, particularly in the former Russian and Austro-Hungarian Empires could lead to a population boom in the Eastern end of the continent as industrialisation shifts eastwards and greater mechanisation of farming and better healthcare allows for urbanisation and lower childhood mortality.

As densely populated? both the Chernozem belt area around Ukrane and western Caucasian Russia and Mesopotamia could do this. As populous? no Those places aren't only fertile and populated since antiquity, they are also huge areas. You can fit six Mesopotamias or three Ukraines inside of the Indian subcontinent.

To be honest, Europe would probably fulfil this if you just avoided the world wars. Without the enormous death toll and fleeing refugees, Europe could probably have a population of a billion or more. Even today, the continent has something like 750 million people, a lot of unused farmland in the East, and is a net food exporter. Some more peace and prosperity, particularly in the former Russian and Austro-Hungarian Empires could lead to a population boom in the Eastern end of the continent as industrialisation shifts eastwards and greater mechanisation of farming and better healthcare allows for urbanisation and lower childhood mortality.

Or if Europeans do not expand overseas. It would be a really crowded continent if all those tens of millions did not emigrate to the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.

Or if Europeans do not expand overseas. It would be a really crowded continent if all those tens of millions did not emigrate to the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.
Higher birth rates would easily compensate that, people tend to underestimate the effects of even small differences in birth rates over decades.

the Amazon basin had a HUGE population pre-contact. It could have developed into a china-esque civ given enough time.

My opinion? Less China, more Egypt. Except that the Nile lacks all the affluents the amazonas has.

The Marajoarans seem to be one of the best places to start, alongside the city-building peoples of the interior. They had trade links that went as far as Mesoamerica.
Maybe their civilization never decays and they beat off the Aruã and Carib attacks. By 1500, there's a early bronze-age civilization there.

If you want modern, modern-day Brazil currently feeds over a billion people.

big_1_091202.gif

Look at that, almost 60% of preserved land, and 9,2% degraded/under-utilized land. Between more technology and more efficient land use, I'm pretty sure Brazil could feed double that, triple that.

The real question is how are you going to make Brazil reach India-level popullations? Even assuming that the brazilian baby boom never stopped, I think you would need like five decades of it, and that's pretty much impossible in modern times. Even increasing immigration is probably not going to do it. You would have to call pretty much everyone and his mother for that.

big_1_091202.gif

Look at that, almost 60% of preserved land, and 9,2% degraded/under-utilized land. Between more technology and more efficient land use, I'm pretty sure Brazil could feed double that, triple that.

The real question is how are you going to make Brazil reach India-level popullations? Even assuming that the brazilian baby boom never stopped, I think you would need like five decades of it, and that's pretty much impossible in modern times. Even increasing immigration is probably not going to do it. You would have to call pretty much everyone and his mother for that.
Does it? Where did you read that?

You are assuming that the remaining land is of the same agricultural quality, which is probably not the case I'd suppose.

Does it? Where did you read that?

You are assuming that the remaining land is of the same agricultural quality, which is probably not the case I'd suppose.

COULD be, but considering that thanks to EMBRAPA's work, a lot of land went from "useless" to "perfect for agriculture", I would say that its still game on.

Reminder that before the 80s, massive farming in the Cerrado and Amazon areas was simply inviable, except in Terra Preta land.

big_1_091202.gif

Have Brazil get colonized a few centuries earlier.