World In Conflict: What happens next and other fronts of the war?

Yea, that means the Soviets are winning.

They were in the winning side initially but that comes with a limit since their supply routes are vastly overextended trying to fight simultaneous wars in Europe, the Middle East, and North America. One cutscene in the game mentioned that the Soviet High Command were actually censoring the news of the war at home and the General Secretary mentioning about "more sacrifices to come" indicating that a quick victory for the USSR did not go as intended.

At the end of the game, the war is on a stalemate.

The Soviets are invading American soil and launching naval assaults in Southern France. This doesn't suggest a US which is holding its own.
The Soviets are crushed in Seattle and soundly defeated in southern France, and I believe the end of Soviet Assault implicitly suggests that there are mutinies in the Soviet Union. Say as you want about the realism of that (the premise of the game is fairly ASB), but game canon is certainly that the Soviets are losing the war. The obvious next step was war in mainland Asia, as China had just joined the war, and indeed I believe there were rumors to that point when the studio still existed.

The Soviets are crushed in Seattle and soundly defeated in southern France, and I believe the end of Soviet Assault implicitly suggests that there are mutinies in the Soviet Union. Say as you want about the realism of that (the premise of the game is fairly ASB), but game canon is certainly that the Soviets are losing the war. The obvious next step was war in mainland Asia, as China had just joined the war, and indeed I believe there were rumors to that point when the studio still existed.

A Soviet mutiny and a coup (maybe led by a Yeltsin-like figure) is likely as the Soviet soldiers know the war is not going on their favor. I can imagine China will also have a Second Chinese Civil War after most of their forces not used to expeditionary warfare will rebel against the communist party.

Faeelin

Banned

The Chinese were able to sail past the Philippines, South Korea, and Taiwan because the Pacific Fleet has been trashed, and you think it's a sign that the US is winning?

There was a time when I had a bunch of notes on the game, but never actually got around to writing the timeline I planned. I'll have to do it again, this thread has piqued my interest.

In disguised cargo ships.
"Disguised".
A Soviet cargo ship with "ИВАН ЛЕНИНГРАД" written in huge white letters on the bow - I'm not sure whether it counts as "disguised".
More importantly, only Soviet troops are traveling in "disguised" cargo ships. Chinese don't bother even with that; their fleet strolls across the Pacific out in the open with adorable little ships and red flags.
Overall, NATO fleets are mysteriously trashed in the game. In the Pacific there "isn't much left of our Pacific fleet" to the point when Chinese ships can move around unimpeded. Even "disguised" Soviet ships are hardly a trick that can work for long, yet they continue on unimpeded as well. In Atlantic, Soviet ships support attacks on US East coast. With vital sea lanes either dominated or completely under Soviet control, any US war effort in Eurasia is doomed.
Even US ground troops are depleted. The general in charge has two options to retake Seattle - either Sawyer's couple of battered battalions, or pulling troops from Europe. Let this sink in: Sawyer or Europe. CONUS is stripped bare of any combat-ready troops. It's Sawyer from the sea to shining sea. No reserves, no National Guard, no troops in training.

With this in mind, Parker's heroics in Southern France and Seattle have bought NATO leadership a (very uncomfortable) place at negotiating table as opposed to unconditional surrender. By the end of the game, NATO needs a miracle to win a war without reserves and control over seas.

Last edited:
"Disguised".
A Soviet cargo ship with "ИВАН ЛЕНИНГРАД" written in huge white letters on the bow - I'm not sure whether it counts as "disguised".
More importantly, only Soviet troops are traveling in "disguised" cargo ships. Chinese don't bother even with that; their fleet strolls across the Pacific out in the open with adorable little ships and red flags.
Overall, NATO fleets are mysteriously trashed in the game. In the Pacific there "isn't much left of our Pacific fleet" to the point when Chinese ships can move around unimpeded. Even "disguised" Soviet ships are hardly a trick that can work for long, yet they continue on unimpeded as well. In Atlantic, Soviet ships support attacks on US East coast. With vital sea lanes either dominated or completely under Soviet control, any US war effort in Eurasia is doomed.
Even US ground troops are depleted. The general in charge has two options to retake Seattle - either Sawyer's couple of battered battalions, or pulling troops from Europe. Let this sink in: Sawyer or Europe. CONUS is stripped bare of any combat-ready troops. It's Sawyer from the sea to shining sea. No reserves, no National Guard, no troops in training.

With this in mind, Parker's heroics in Southern France and Seattle have bought NATO leadership a (very uncomfortable) place at negotiating table as opposed to unconditional surrender. By the end of the game, NATO needs a miracle to win a war without reserves and control over seas.

I wonder why the might of the U.S. and British Navies have been ignored. That's the part I found mysterious about the game how the inferior navies of the USSR and the PRC were able to sail unopposed in both the Atlantic and the Pacific...ASB much

Let's be honesty here, Massive Entertainment gave the USSR and the Chinese a free hand in much of the game from start to finish. (Taking all of West Germany, invading France and Moscow not getting glassed by the Freach, invading the USA and not getting nuked outside that one mission, the Chinese for some reason joins with the USSR and is able to invade Taiwan AND tried to to meet up with the Red Army in Seattle. RIGHT AFTER TIANANMEN SQUARE. The PRC's lowest point was 1989 and the ealry 90s. The last thing they need to do is fighting WORLD WAR 3.)

Real life, the US/NATO Navy would have wipe the floor with the Soviets. The Red Fleet lacked quality and, most importantly of all, proper doctrine. The majority of the Soviet fleet lacked AAW missile defences. Same for the Chinese. (Which the PLAN was largely a brown-water navy till AFTER the USSR collapse in OTL.)

The Chinese were able to sail past the Philippines, South Korea, and Taiwan because the Pacific Fleet has been trashed, and you think it's a sign that the US is winning?

Does not mention how bad the Pacific Fleet is trashed. Perhaps they were overextended spanning from Hawaii to Yokosuka, Japan to Subic Naval Base, Philippines. It would be ASB how the PLA-N East Sea Fleet was able to sail the Pacific in the area of the Sea Line of Communication of the United States. Heck, the Taiwanese and the JMSDF would have eliminated them plus Subic Bay and Clark down south in the Philippines would have wiped the Chinese fleet from that point on. Also forgotten here is the U.S. Navy SSN fleet in Guam alongide the B-52 bombers that would also placed the PLA-N on Davy Jones' locker.

Let's be honesty here, Massive Entertainment gave the USSR and the Chinese a free hand in much of the game from start to finish. (Taking all of West Germany, invading France and Moscow not getting glassed by the Freach, invading the USA and not getting nuked outside that one mission, the Chinese for some reason joins with the USSR and is able to invade Taiwan AND tried to to meet up with the Red Army in Seattle. RIGHT AFTER TIANANMEN SQUARE. The PRC's lowest point was 1989 and the ealry 90s. The last thing they need to do is fighting WORLD WAR 3.)

Real life, the US/NATO Navy would have wipe the floor with the Soviets. The Red Fleet lacked quality and, most importantly of all, proper doctrine. The majority of the Soviet fleet lacked AAW missile defences. Same for the Chinese. (Which the PLAN was largely a brown-water navy till AFTER the USSR collapse in OTL.)

Perhaps the developers wanted to portray the communists as the next Hitler.
Still ASB much. Neither the Soviets or the Chinese had the sealift and airlift capability. That belonged to NATO.
Disguising civilian freighters won't even work. War would have gone nuclear by the time the Soviets landed in France and Washington State.

Perhaps the developers wanted to portray the communists as the next Hitler.
Still ASB much. Neither the Soviets or the Chinese had the sealift and airlift capability. That belonged to NATO.
Disguising civilian freighters won't even work. War would have gone nuclear by the time the Soviets landed in France and Washington State.

Pretty much. I remember in-game, the USSR still think Strategic Defense Initiative is a real thing. (And the reason for America nuking the Soviets at Cascade Falls to stop them from taking Fort Teller, the 'HQ' of the SDI.)

Even in the Soviet Assault, the Soviet Propagandist is fill with more and more dread as the war goes on, and they have been telling the public they had taken almost half of the USA. (And then we nuked Cascade Falls and then we push them out of Seattle.) Heck, the US/NATO attack on Murmansk, in Romanov words 'crack the image of invulnerable motherland' and they 'was shaken to the core'.

The Warsaw Pact will be revolting while the Soviet Union is faced with the Second Russian Revolution, and Chine falls like a house of cards.

Pretty much. I remember in-game, the USSR still think Strategic Defense Initiative is a real thing. (And the reason for America nuking the Soviets at Cascade Falls to stop them from taking Fort Teller, the 'HQ' of the SDI.)

Even in the Soviet Assault, the Soviet Propagandist is fill with more and more dread as the war goes on, and they have been telling the public they had taken almost half of the USA. (And then we nuked Cascade Falls and then we push them out of Seattle.) Heck, the US/NATO attack on Murmansk, in Romanov words 'crack the image of invulnerable motherland' and they 'was shaken to the core'.

The Warsaw Pact will be revolting while the Soviet Union is faced with the Second Russian Revolution, and Chine falls like a house of cards.

A Soviet propahanda video showed them liberating Canada, USA, and Mexico with the population welcoming them fro

Game is good, but plot is ASB. Howww the fucc USSR managed to destroy more than a half of a strongest fleet in Earth? Their own estimations were that Baltic,North,Pacific fleets would survive 48-72 hours from the start of war.

Game is good, but plot is ASB. Howww the fucc USSR managed to destroy more than a half of a strongest fleet in Earth? Their own estimations were that Baltic,North,Pacific fleets would survive 48-72 hours from the start of war.

Amen to that. No way in hell the Soviet Navy could have decimated the 6th Fleet in the Med without escalating into a nuclear war.

If there was a WIC2, do you think they would have done naval combat?

Maybe there would have been two different player characters (Parker for some missions in Europe and some other US character for Pacific missions)?

a video game with an unlikely background? How shocking!! :p

so, what kind of game was WiC? RTS or turn based?

It is RTS similar to Command And Conquer

If there was a WIC2, do you think they would have done naval combat?

Maybe there would have been two different player characters (Parker for some missions in Europe and some other US character for Pacific missions)?

Naval combat would be great like in Wargame RTS series.

If there was naval combat in WIC2, here's the units I think they would have and their function since units in WIC tend to be specialized:

Destroyer (anti-sub primarily with minor ship to ship combat/land bombardment ability)
Cruiser (anti-air primarily with medium ship to ship combat/land bombardment ability)
Battleship (primarily ship to ship combat/land bombardment with limited anti-air combat ability)
Aircraft carrier
Troop transport (would be used in game to move infantry squads around)
Repair ship (similar to repair tank in function)

If there was naval combat in WIC2, here's the units I think they would have and their function since units in WIC tend to be specialized:

Destroyer (anti-sub primarily with minor ship to ship combat/land bombardment ability)
Cruiser (anti-air primarily with medium ship to ship combat/land bombardment ability)
Battleship (primarily ship to ship combat/land bombardment with limited anti-air combat ability)
Aircraft carrier
Troop transport (would be used in game to move infantry squads around)
Repair ship (similar to repair tank in function)

• Destroyers and frigates would be the Oliver Hazard Perry-class destroyers (USA) and the Type 23 Duke-class frigates (NATO). Not so sure about the USSR but I know the Chinese would use the Luda-II class destroyer. Could launch ASW helicopter.
  • Cruiser: USA = Ticonderoga-class cruiser
  • Battleship = With the USS Missouri sunk, the only Iowa-class BBs the USN has would be the Wisconsin, Iowa, and New Jersey.
  • Aircraft carrier = dominated by the USN, probably the Nimitz-class, Midway-class, Enterprise-class, and the Forrestal-class. Has the ability to launch F/A-18 Hornet, F-14 Tomcat, F-4 Phantom in addition to E-3 Sentries and C-2 Greyhounds for AWACS. The Royal Navy would have the HMS Ark Royal and HMS Invisible while NATO's would probably be the Marine Nationale's FS Foch, Clemenceau, and the Charles de Gaulle and the Spanish Navy's Principe de Asturias. The USSR would have the Kirov-class Battle Cruisers.
  • Troop transport. - USA (Tarawa-class AAS and Whidbey Island-class LPD), UK (HMS Argus), China (Yukan-class LST), USSR (assorted)
  • Repair ship - would be in the form of replenishment ships and supply ships