WI: How Can These Monarchies Survive?

All of them will hardly survive the entire 20th century. King Farouk of Egypt reportedly once said: "The whole world is in revolt. Soon there will be only five Kings left – the King of England, the King of Spades, the King of Clubs, the King of Hearts, and the King of Diamonds."

Strange why he thought that the king of England would survive when all the other monarchies go.

althisfan

Banned
If you claim something and someone asks for a source, you as the person who introduced the claim should back it up.
I'm sorry, I missed that rule in AH.com pre-law course. Do your own research is my personal opinion and I will not do normal research for people who have questions. If it's an arcane question and you ask politely, then sure I'll do the research. If it's a matter of "I don't believe you because I have my own personal beliefs, you must hit me over the head", then that is your problem and not mine. Not my job to teach you the Earth is not flat, you should know that or do the research if you don't.

Provided it is true, there is no reason to not cite a source for a claim. Without evidence, a claim can and should be completely disregarded - or would you rather live in a world where all things are taken on faith instead of on evidence?

EDIT

You aren't being asked to do someone's research for them, you're being asked to back up your contribution to the discussion. That is a reasonable request, and I think your refusal to do so is self evidently unreasonable.

Strange why he thought that the king of England would survive when all the other monarchies go.

Well, England was the colonial power in control of Egypt and, being an island, England always was the most stable country in the West ever since the end of medieval times.

Well, England was the colonial power in control of Egypt and, being an island, England always was the most stable country in the West ever since the end of medieval times.

Think the whole period between 1400 and 1660 would suggest otherwise. We have 10 (out of 14/15) monarchs (Richard II, Henry VI (twice), Edward IV (twice), Edward V, Richard III, Lady Jane Grey/Mary Tudor, Mary, queen of Scots and Charles I) who were deposed in 260 years. Hardly what I'd call a stable succession. But I could understand where he's coming from

There is the Ming / Confucius route. During the last days of the Qing, many wanted the restoration of the Ming Emperor or a descendant of Confucius on the throne.

If Ming is restored many of the overseas chinese are going to return.

My two cents on this one.

While there was widespread support for a Ming restoration amongst local and overseas Chinese, there was equally fervent support for supporting or reforming the imperial status quo. Chief among these were the OTL Boxers, whose main motto was "support the Qing, exterminate the foreigners", which got them direct backing from Empress Cixi herself. Besides that, the necessity of hard labour for mines and plantations in places like Southeast Asia would ensure most Chinese emigrates to stay in their new homes. For example: by the early 20th century, regions like British Malaya became one of the world's major suppliers of tin, and such work was done by employing massive chinese labor as the British considered it too much for local Malays to pick up the slack.

In my opinion, a Qing reformation would not be too much out of the question, so long as the imperial court manages to steam through it earlier. As long as the most restrictive measures of differentiation (the queue law, for one) were eased and basic services ensured to the peasantry, then they have a good shot at surviving well into the 20th century.

Prior to Czechoslovakia, Moravia and Bohemia had HUGE German populations, 1/3 of the population is German. It's not like the Slavic population of about 7 million would be a risk if to the rest of Germany (65 million plus the new 3 million Germans in Bohemia/Moravia and 6 million Austrians). The Slavs would be around 8% of the total population, that's a little over HALF the percentage what the Black population is in the US. Moravia and Bohemia were very integrated to German history and culture, especially the urban population. Seriously if it wasn't for Czechoslovakian independence due to WWI and their forced expulsion of Germans, Poles, and Hungarians, we'd see Czech and Slovak today as endangered minority languages in their homelands, and almost certainly as dialects of one language. Languages are dialects with an army to back them up, and a language's ability to survive often depends on a government (of some level of independence) to promote it and allow it to thrive. We see this over and over. In a scenario where Germany can get Moravia and Bohemia, they will take it, and Czechs start to disappear.
The Sorbs in Saxony are still around after almost 400 years of living under Saxon / German rule. In a case where Bohemia and Moravia end up as part of a Greater German Empire they wouldn't be the only Slavic minorities in Germany, there were also the Poles, the Wends and the Silesians next to the aforementioned Sorbs.

1280px-Bautzen_City_Limit.JPG

Sorbisch-deutsches_Stra%C3%9Fenschild_in_Bautzen.JPG

Last edited:
Think the whole period between 1400 and 1660 would suggest otherwise. We have 10 (out of 14/15) monarchs (Richard II, Henry VI (twice), Edward IV (twice), Edward V, Richard III, Lady Jane Grey/Mary Tudor, Mary, queen of Scots and Charles I) who were deposed in 260 years. Hardly what I'd call a stable succession. But I could understand where he's coming from

You're right. English outstanding stability only started at the beginning of the 18th century. Still, for a regular person who lived in the 20th century, the 1700's is pretty much the beginning of modern history.

My two cents on this one.

While there was widespread support for a Ming restoration amongst local and overseas Chinese, there was equally fervent support for supporting or reforming the imperial status quo. Chief among these were the OTL Boxers, whose main motto was "support the Qing, exterminate the foreigners", which got them direct backing from Empress Cixi herself. Besides that, the necessity of hard labour for mines and plantations in places like Southeast Asia would ensure most Chinese emigrates to stay in their new homes. For example: by the early 20th century, regions like British Malaya became one of the world's major suppliers of tin, and such work was done by employing massive chinese labor as the British considered it too much for local Malays to pick up the slack.

In my opinion, a Qing reformation would not be too much out of the question, so long as the imperial court manages to steam through it earlier. As long as the most restrictive measures of differentiation (the queue law, for one) were eased and basic services ensured to the peasantry, then they have a good shot at surviving well into the 20th century.
I at least think Chinese in Taiwan can return.

Was this actually considered OTL? I can't seem to find any mention of it? Then again, I only looked in English sources (which if the Antonovichi chapter of my TL proved anything - where my chief sources were German or Danish (with the help of google translate) - one should probably cast the net as wide as possible).
I don't know one way or the other. It just seemed to follow, like the idea of an Esterhazy Hungary in a scenario in which Napoleon completely abolishes the Austrian Empire.

Emperor Haile Selassie recognizes the need for reform and modernization in Ethiopia following the Allied liberation in 1941, taking advantage of the weakened nobility and Church to institute new reforms as he starts from scratch instead of implementing the system prior to the Italian occupation. The Emperor and Lorenzo Taezaz (Ethiopian Foreign Affairs Minister) have managed to negotiate an acceptable Anglo-Ethiopian Agreement with the assistance of Washington, avoiding OTL's economic clause and allowing Ethiopia to contribute troops to the North African Campaign. London is forced to relinquish its administration and occupational forces in certain Ethiopian territories, withdrawing them into the former Italian colonies which gives the Ethiopians full control of their country as they begin modernization. Haile Selassie is careful not to implement tax reforms too severe on the peasantry, recognizing them as important to the modernization process but continues to expand his influence and bureaucratic administration into the provinces on the periphery of Ethiopia. The Imperial Ethiopian Army is established by 1943, thanks to the efforts of the British Military Mission and expands to roughly 90,000 men by 1945 as the Ethiopian Expeditionary Force participates in the Allied invasion of Italy where the Ethiopians do well in the mountainous terrain. Ethiopia becomes a founding member of the United Nations, receiving the formerly Italian Eritrea which gives it access to a coastline and makes Ethiopia a strategic ally that not only posses much influence over the Horn of Africa but over the Red Sea as well. From here, Haile Selassie continues to focus on reform instead of just on consolidation of power over the Ethiopian state - the nobility has been rebuilt through a system of meritocracy that sees reformists become increasingly powerful as the nobility and Church are restricted to largely nominal positions within the Ethiopian Senate. In the 60s, there is increasing demand for democratic reforms instead of the quasi-democratic 1931 Constitution which leads to the establishment of a democratic constitutional monarchy under Haile Selassie - the Emperor retains considerable influence but much of his power has been shifted to the Prime Minister and lower Chamber of Deputies. Thanks to economic growth and foreign investment, interior Ethiopian infrastructure is quite developed with more being built on the periphery of the Ethiopian Empire which allows for Haile Selassie to gain favor amongst the ethnic groups in the southern and southeastern most provinces. Haile Selassie dies sometime in the mid or late 60s of natural causes, his more liberal son Amha Selassie taking power and continuing his father's efforts at building up Ethiopia to become a great African power. A low-level war over the Ogaden is waged between the Ethiopian Empire and Somali Democratic Republic, ultimately ending in the Somalis being driven back and the insurgency in the Ogaden becoming crippled as the Ethiopians launch a massive counterinsurgency campaign against the armed secessionist elements. Ethiopian democracy prevails despite the wishes of hardcore monarchists and the OPEC oil crisis, seeing Ethiopia become one of the only legitimate Western-style democracies in Africa and a key ally of the West.

Basically, just have Haile Selassie focus more on reforms instead of consolidation of power in the 40s and possibly die earlier with the more liberal Amha Selassie taking power, @JonasResende.