Following the Reagan Route

Deleted member 109224

Clooney is not going to keep the same VP Obama had...

Why not?

The biggest criticism of him would be he's inexperienced. Biden is the most experienced option he could choose and is broadly well-liked.

Why not?

The biggest criticism of him would be he's inexperienced. Biden is the most experienced option he could choose and is broadly well-liked.
Arguable, he'd be ineligible, and definitely would be unprecedented, but more practically, what does it say abut the Democratic Party if it's so devoid of talent that it cannot find a suitable VP candidate?

Deleted member 109224

Arguable, he'd be ineligible, and definitely would be unprecedented, but more practically, what does it say abut the Democratic Party if it's so devoid of talent that it cannot find a suitable VP candidate?

I don't see why it'd be ineligible and Biden would actually be the third person to attempt being two Presidents' Vice-President.

Calhoun was Vice President to John Quincy Adams and Samuel Jackson.
Charles W Fairbanks was Theodore Roosevelt's Vice President and Charles E Hughes's 1916 running mate.

And again, this is a circumstance where the nominee collapsed and withdrew from the ticket and the nominee's running mate - who was partially chosen due to novelty and is still pretty much a novice at domestic politics - needs an Elder Statesman to back him up.

Kerry is the closest equivalent I can think of to Biden as running mate (28 years in the Senate and 4 as Secretary of State), but Biden has better populist appeal.

I don't see why it'd be ineligible and Biden would actually be the third person to attempt being two Presidents' Vice-President.

Calhoun was Vice President to John Quincy Adams and Samuel Jackson.
Charles W Fairbanks was Theodore Roosevelt's Vice President and Charles E Hughes's 1916 running mate.

And again, this is a circumstance where the nominee collapsed and withdrew from the ticket and the nominee's running mate - who was partially chosen due to novelty and is still pretty much a novice at domestic politics - needs an Elder Statesman to back him up.

Kerry is the closest equivalent I can think of to Biden as running mate (28 years in the Senate and 4 as Secretary of State), but Biden has better populist appeal.
None of the other two served two terms as Vice President, and some readings of the Twelfth and Twenty-Second amendments together preclude three vice presidential terms by the same person. A failed nominee for the presidency would not be chosen either.

Deleted member 109224

None of the other two served two terms as Vice President, and some readings of the Twelfth and Twenty-Second amendments together preclude three vice presidential terms by the same person. A failed nominee for the presidency would not be chosen either.

I disagree, but Clooney-Kerry it is!

This has nothing to do with the US, but Amitabh Bachchan, one of the greatest Indian actors ever, was briefly the MP in Allahabad for Congress from 1984 to 1987, forced to resign after allegations that were proven false. It seems to me that, if he had not been implicated in that scandal and instead remained MP, he could have very well become the prime minister immediately after Rajiv Gandhi's assassination in 1991. As a super-popular actor to the extent that he has his own temple, he would have caused Congress to sweep the remaining stages of the 1991 election and the subsequent election as well.

Kanye West, perhaps?

I'm working on a political fanfic in which Matt Stone (the co-creator of South Park) runs for Colorado Governor in 2014 and ousts Hickenlooper. A Democrat (I'm still deciding whether I should keep Hillary as the nominee or not) wins a third White House term in 2016. Stone is re-elected governor in a landslide and rides the Red Wave of 2018. He runs for President in 2020, gets nominated, and selects U.S. Senator Justin Amash from Michigan (who beat Gary Peters in the 2014 red wave) as his running mate.

Still working out the details in an outline before I write the actual story.

Kanye West, perhaps?

I'm working on a political fanfic in which Matt Stone (the co-creator of South Park) runs for Colorado Governor in 2014 and ousts Hickenlooper. A Democrat (I'm still deciding whether I should keep Hillary as the nominee or not) wins a third White House term in 2016. Stone is re-elected governor in a landslide and rides the Red Wave of 2018. He runs for President in 2020, gets nominated, and selects U.S. Senator Justin Amash from Michigan (who beat Gary Peters in the 2014 red wave) as his running mate.

Hopefully President Stone immediately reschedules marijuana and orders the Pentagon to begin reviewing and closing outdated Cold War bases in Germany.

As far as the original subject of the thread, Oprah could be a formidable candidate in 2024. She was born into poverty and became a billionaire. She's very popular personally. She overcame a great deal of personal tragedy in her life. She has favorite daughter status in multiple states including Florida.

Last edited:
Kanye West, perhaps?

Interesting idea. I'll wait when it's on here, or wherever you post it.

Hopefully President Stone immediately reschedules marijuana and orders the Pentagon to begin reviewing and closing outdated Cold War bases in Germany.

As far as the original subject of the thread, Oprah could be a formidable candidate in 2024. She was born into poverty and became a billionaire. She's very popular personally. She overcame a great deal of personal tragedy in her life. She has favorite daughter status in multiple states including Florida.

Interesting idea. I'll wait when it's on here, or wherever you post it.

One aspect of my TL you might find interesting is that his candidacy will be the beginning of the end of the "Southernization" of the GOP...but I need to quit posting spoilers, lol.

Clint Eastwood.

Charlton Heston

There are separate timelines on this board with John Wayne, Walt Disney, and, I think, Elvis Presley as President of the United States.

I have a Chuck Heston as president in my timeline, and he was IOTL an early proponent of civil rights. I think he could have been progressive in the right era.