Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Revised version, according to marcpasquin's suggestions. Material taken from Commons.
Changes: gold to silver; from closed collar insignia to open collar ones; embroidry effect on collar insignia and chromatic effect on shoulder boards.

good choice. The crossed sword, baton and key does give the idea of a the Stadtherr as both a civic and military commander.

Just a small suggestion, I'd use the same black outline from the sword for the key and baton too on the shoulder board to make them stand out better and move the baton to the top. That way it makes it clear visually that the baton stands for command with the sword and key representing equal functions exercised by said command

SS were also a bit medieval, imho.

yes. They view themselves as a modern "knightly order" and there are a few known example of "SS Heraldry" which combine traditional heraldry with modern elements such as a black stahlhelm in profile being used as a shield's crest.

Deleted member 108228

yes. They view themselves as a modern "knightly order" and there are a few known example of "SS Heraldry" which combine traditional heraldry with modern elements such as a black stahlhelm in profile being used as a shield's crest.

Well wouldn't the SS be anti-Christian and so would attempt to use pagan symbols? They were paganist, and used MANY runes

Deleted member 108228

Thank you for the map. :)

28 SS-Stadte:
  1. Wewelsburg
  2. Bad Tölz
  3. Braunschweig
  4. Wannsee
  5. Sachsenhausen
  6. Wawel
  7. Jaroslau
  8. Himmlerstadt
  9. Stanislau
  10. Reichshof
  11. Busko
  12. Reichenberg
  13. Wenden
  14. Danzig
  15. Marienburg
  16. Wolfsburg Castle
  17. Tannenberg
  18. Hohenstaufen Castle
  19. Schytomyr
  20. Reval
  21. Arensburg
  22. Dünaburg
  23. Wolmar
  24. Baranowitsche
  25. SS Quarter of Riga
  26. Barisau
  27. Petschur
  28. Lida

Do you want the territories to extend past the Urals in some WW2 victory maps?

Well wouldn't the SS be anti-Christian and so would attempt to use pagan symbols? They were paganist, and used MANY runes

they did use runes but they had no issues cherry picking what they liked from german history including the Teutonic Knights. What passed for religious belief for them was not a research for pure paganism but a form of religious syncretism used as a way of justifying and reinforcing Nazism.

Crossed baton sword and key: it was considered the arrangement suggested by Marc Pasquin but I chose the present arrangement in order to emphasise the warrior character of SSK.
Do you want the territories to extend past the Urals in some WW2 victory maps?
SS-Stadte are almost enclaves within the Reich: they have a sort of imperial immediacy and are gathered under the Reichsfuhrer. There are many villages and outposts manned by SS, under the Gebietshoheit of the relevant NSDAP Gauleiter. A political map of the Reich is coming.

On the other hand, keys, command batons and swords have a traditional symbolism not directly connected with Christianity.

Deleted member 108228

Crossed baton sword and key: it was considered the arrangement suggested by Marc Pasquin but I chose the present arrangement in order to emphasise the warrior character of SSK.

SS-Stadte are almost enclaves within the Reich: they have a sort of imperial immediacy and are gathered under the Reichsfuhrer. There are many villages and outposts manned by SS, under the Gebietshoheit of the relevant NSDAP Gauleiter. A political map of the Reich is coming.

No the reich in general

Guys, is this the proper forum for all of this? I think that timeline planning should be done somewhere else. When you finish designing insignia and uniforms for your glorious Nazi empire (eye roll emoji here) go ahead and post them.

Guys, is this the proper forum for all of this? I think that timeline planning should be done somewhere else. When you finish designing insignia and uniforms for your glorious Nazi empire (eye roll emoji here) go ahead and post them.
You're right, I think it stemmed out from discussing rank insignia.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see activity on this board but the precedent seems to be posting pics, then discussing said pics. Planning TL's and maps should be in different threads, imo.

I found an image of SS-type heraldry I mentioned in a previous post:

ss-shield.png

The wood carving used to decorate Himmler's castle and as you can see it mixes together pre-christian runes, medieval heraldry and a modern german helmet as crest.

It serves to illustrate something to keep in mind when designing the visual identity of nationalistic groups, in that the image they which to project is quite often an hodge-podge, but also by extension the identity of long defunct countries surviving to the present in an ATL. What I'm refering to is the fact that the steel helmet is not used as a decorative alternative to the medieval knight's helm in an effort to reject older aesthetic but rather to reinforce the idea that it is its *equivalent* and thus, so are their respective wearers.

Where this becomes relevant to designing ranks and insignias is that it can often be tempting to look at the most distinctive elements of defunct polities and simply add them to modern day uniforms. A good example of this would be to take the plume from a centurion helmet and put it on top of a modern day combat helmet to indicate its wearer's rank. While, visually, this makes the message easy to understand by the viewer ("Roman Empire surviving to this day"), it causes problem in terms of the logic behind using it. combat has changed and it's doubtful that something like this would be retained at a time when combat involves a certain amount of stealth and freedom of movement.

A better way perhaps to come up with how to use it would be think of the plume in the most basic way: "something on the helmet visible from all side". Thinking about it this way, the mark of a 21st century centurion could have evolved to be a simple band worn around the headgear with the simple soldiers having unadorned ones. The band could be bright red when worn on parade but low visibility in combat such as brown on a tan helmet. Add to this other elements to the uniforms such as short sleeves, a scarf, patches with roman shield pattern to indicate legion, plain kilt instead of pants and kevlar armours and you end up with something that would be fairly easy to identify as a modern day legionary without looking anachronistic or made up.

funny story. I noticed an uptick on my deviantart account. Try and guess why the image might have suddenly proved popular:

https://marcpasquin.deviantart.com/art/US-Space-force-table-big-572891155

Funnily enough, 2 different threads on Reddit have picked it up and based on the comments, some people appear to think they are actual design for future insignias.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirForce/comments/6lfaf1/space_force_ranks/
https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/8s34jh/space_force_rank_structure_its_happening_next/

Not sure if I should tell them they're fictional. Upsetting people seems cruel.

umm....
i dunno if that's current politics or not, but...

uhhh....

"The imperium of man" is a space faring empire in the game warhammer 40k.

the face of trump has been photoshoped unto the body of the Emperor during his battle days.

pretty sure its just a joke considering we're talking about space corps insignias.

I will attempt to do a template illustration depicting members of the Melzan City Watch and so on from my fantasy setting.

Not that many uniformed guards or officers in my setting, at least not in the modern sense, but those that are could use some visualisation.

charge_bayonets__by_colorcopycenter-dcfg49v.png

All Texacoran Marines in this depiction are issued with Model '38 forage-kepis of modern manufacture and M12 combat helmets of pre-Collapse vintage, complete with radio receiver headphones and combat goggles. The standard issue combat goggles offer complete protection against the disorienting optical effects of the combat flares, ranging lasers, and ancient phased energy beam arrays that a Texacoran Marine might expect to encounter on the battlefield, especially in fleet action. However, only company grade officers and higher are issued with the throat-microphone, transmitter module, dual camera/display suite, and power pack attachments for the M12 helmet, owing to the scarcity of surviving communications gear. The relative abundance of ancient comms equipment among Texacoran Marine formations gives them a distinct advantage in command and coordination compared to Red imperial armies and even Kommersant field forces. On the battlefield, the execution of maneuvers and control of fire by Texacoran officers is often strikingly crisp and precise in comparison to that of their foes.

All ranks are also issued with Model '43 all-weather cloaks of modern manufacture, woven from salvaged synthetic fabric. These waterproofed over-garments are impervious to the thermal imaging often used by reconnaissance scouts to pinpoint concealed infantry entrenchments in low visibility conditions. Two cloaks can be combined as shelter-halves to form a serviceable field tent, and their non-flammability offers satisfactory protection against the combustible effects of incendiary shrapnel. Only higher grade field officers like the major depicted here are able to afford or inherit an intact example of the M35 battle dress uniform of the ancient ICA Marines, though even here, the major's shirt, necktie, armored tunic, boots, gloves, and waist pouches are of modern manufacture. The major's battle cloak bears both the traditional ICA Aerospace Marine Corps insignia sported by all Old Breed officers of the Texacoran aristocracy, and underneath the regimental unit badge is displayed. The shoulder tabs and gold braid on the interior sleeve of the battle cloak are non-regulation embellishments but increasingly common among less traditionalist Texacoran officers. The intact sections of the major's M35 battle uniform are armored with integral ballistic fiber and heavily augmented with modern ceramsteel front-to-back tunic plates and waist plate segments. Enlisted ranks are issued with a single front-facing ceramsteel tunic plate, while noncoms are issued with front-to-back tunic plates. Modern ceramsteel armor plates are capable of protecting wearers against smoothbore ball projectiles at all ranges and rifled ball projectiles up to point-blank range. However, ceramsteel armor is vulnerable to modern armor-piercing hypervelocity musketry at ranges of roughly less than one hundred meters, depending on angle and incidence of impact. Stacked against the levies of the Djong-Kok, Red Empire, Kommersant, and the Freeporters, the Texacoran Marines undoubtedly represent the most individually well armored infantry element on Shindai, with every Marine being issued at the minimum the basic ceramsteel tunic plate. In comparison to the infantry-oriented Texacor, all other nations of Shindai reserve prized ceramsteel for fleet construction, leaving only enough surplus for supplying combat armor to officers and elite warriors.