Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
e11f4db717ae04c9ac01e21db4437ff0-dcej70i.jpg

And the full map!

Beautiful!

So what exactly was ISOTed and from what year? Just the places listed? I'm a little confused about the reference to the British Empire.
The places ISOTed were Gibraltar, Sardinia and Corsica, Macedonia, and Crete, all from 2017. The reference to the British Empire is simply, as Crying said:
Well, y'know, Gibraltar is owned by Britain. Has been for a long time.
There isn't a current year for the map because I am terrible at judging expansion of a nation over a period of time.

Mediterranean ISOT
Py5MNXa.png

From left to right:
Gibraltar: What is left of the British Empire. Some of their ships have discovered that there are other people out in the world, but they haven't mapped that part of the world... yet.
Latin Union: Sardinia and Corsica united when the event occurred. The biggest trade empire in this Brave New World.
Macedonia: The only nation to be completely be taken during the event. Has spread out and one day hopes to restore Александар's Empire.
Crete: In a constant struggle with Macedonia on who is the true heir to Αλέξανδρος's legacy. Allied with the Latin Union in the hopes that they can defeat Macedonia one day.
I feel like the level of expansion are a bit uneven. Gibraltar has a population of 30,000 while the Latin union has around 2 million and yet it looks like they have expanded to about the same amount of land.

I feel like the level of expansion are a bit uneven. Gibraltar has a population of 30,000 while the Latin union has around 2 million and yet it looks like they have expanded to about the same amount of land.
I am terrible at judging expansion of a nation over a period of time.
I'd rather just make the map nicer to look than a few dots on the coasts or islands as a more factually correct expansion. If I was doing something like Beedok's Alphabet ISOT series, then I would be doing more research into regions and populations, but I mostly do these things at night and on a whim.

88fj5Ii.png

The United States of America is a nation of many tongues. English is the majority language and lingua franca (85% of the population reported speaking it "very well" on the 2010 Census form) of the country, but over a dozen languages are spoken in vast swathes of the country. This map shows the distribution of these languages. The areas in pink signify areas where no single language is spoken by more than 10% of the population, which means the proportion of English speakers may be under 90% but no one language forms a significant enough proportion. Areas where multiple languages are spoken by over 10% of the population are colored by the most dominant language. Note that there are several other languages spoken in significant numbers, but they are concentrated in municipality and neighborhood-sized areas that would not be geographically significant on this map.

CZECH - Czech Americans are small in their numbers, but are very concentrated in a few counties in Texas and the Great Plains. Several have retained their ancestral language. The town of Praha, Texas is considered to be the center of Czech culture in the United States.

ERSE - Nova Scotia is rather aptly named due to its large Scottish population. The 18th and 19th century saw large-scale immigration from the Highlands, which had a large Scottish Gaelic speaking population, to the state. Over a third of the state's population is of Scottish extraction, and many in the northern regions still speak their ancestral language. The state's Scottish heritage can be seen in many town names, such as New Glasgow, Caledonia, and Dingwall. A community of Erse speakers can also be found on the eastern end of St. John's Island. The language is officially classified as Erse to avoid confusion with its cousin language from Ireland, but Nova Scotians use both Erse and Gaelic to refer to the language.

FRENCH - Of all the secondary languages spoken in the U.S., French is the most spoken, has the longest history within the country, and the widest geographic distribution. American French is comprised of several dialects: Acadian French (spoken in Nova Scotia, New Ireland, Maine, St. John's Island, the Madeline Islands, and the Gaspesian Peninsula), Canadian French (spoken in most of Quebec, northern New Hampshire/Vermont/New York, eastern Canada, and eastern Keewatin), Terreneuvian French (spoken by a small number of French in Newfoundland) Muskrat French (spoken in parts of Michigan and Erie), Louisiana French (spoken in Louisiana, southern Mississippi, Arkansas, and southwestern Missouri), Missouri French (spoken in central and southeastern Missouri, southern Illinois, and southwestern Indiana), Metis French (spoken by the Metis people), Lake French (spoken by French settlers in the Prairie States) Rocheuse French (spoken by French settlers in Idaho, Absaroka, Lincoln, and Montana), California French (spoken in the San Joaquin Valley), and Dominican French (spoken in western St. Dominica). French first found itself a major part of the United States when the country bought Louisiana in 1803, and the capture of Quebec in the War of 1812 further increased its numbers. Throughout the 19th century, immigrants from France steadily moved to Quebec, Louisiana, and in smaller numbers, the Boston/Portland belt and California. The other dialects of French largely stem from American-born pioneers settling westward. Louisianans mostly moved to California and the Rockies, while Canadians mostly moved to the Prairies and the Rockies. Three presidents had French as a mother tongue, and six states release bills in both English and French.

GAELIC - The vast majority of Gaelic speakers in the U.S. live in the state of Newfoundland, in addition to a community in St. John, New Ireland. In other concentrated areas of American Irish settlement, like New England and New York, very few people retained their mother tongue- largely the result of anti-Irish sentiment, which discouraged the speaking of Gaelic and very few parents passed the language on to their children. In Newfoundland and New Ireland there was a much smaller existing population, which allowed the language to thrive. Southern and southeastern Newfoundland is popularly nicknamed the "Irish Shore," and the state is commonly referred to as "the most Irish place outside Ireland."

GERMAN - Germans have had a notable presence in America since the 17th century, when they began to settle in Pennsylvania. Many groups of German settlers have largely dropped their tongue, but others have not, especially the old colonial groups (primarily in Pennsylvania, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, and New Bern, North Carolina), German settlers in the Upper Plains, the Amish, and Mennonites. German dialects in the U.S. are influenced by many German regions, such as Switzerland, Alsace, and the Palatinate. German was once much more widespread in the Midwest and was commonly used in public schools in German-speaking regions, but anti-German sentiment in the 20th century during conflicts with Germany discouraged Germans from passing the language on to their children, and many areas no longer have significant numbers of speakers. However, since the 1990s there has been attempts at reviving German in the school system, and many states now offer German as a language course in their public schools.

GULLAH - Gullah (also known as Geechee) is an English creole language spoken by the Gullah, a subgroup of African Americans who inhabit the Lowcountry and Sea Islands of South Carolina and Georgia. It is heavily influenced by African languages and the Gullah culture is significantly influenced by African culture. It was once more widespread, being spoken from Cape Fear in North Carolina to Jacksonville, Florida. Gullah became endangered in the 20th century with increasing development in the area, but efforts to preserve the language have allowed it to live on.

HAWAIIAN - The native language of the Hawaiian people, the Hawaiian language became severely endangered with widespread European and Asian settlement of the islands. There have been efforts since the mid-20th century to preserve the language, which was made co-official with English. Most native Hawaiians can speak the language, as well as smaller numbers of Asians and Europeans.

INUIT - A family of languages (which linguists classify as Eskimo-Aleut) rather than one single tongue, the predecessors to these languages have been spoken in the northern part of the country for thousands of years. Like the Native Americans, the Inuits were decimated by Eurasian diseases, but unlike the Native Americans, the Inuits were left with much of their native land rather intact due to a low desire by Europeans to settle in them. Languages of this group are official in Alaska and the territories of Borealia, Greenland, and Vesperia.

ITALIAN - Italian speakers in America are primarily concentrated in two areas: metro New York and a stretch of coastal California. Italian speakers in the New York area are remnants of immigration to the area in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Italian speakers in Alta California are primarily the descendants of immigrants to Montreal and Boston who moved out west in search of work.

NATIVE AMERICAN - Like the Inuit languages, these are a group of languages rather than a single tongue. Among the original inhabitants of the modern United States, Native Americans were wiped out by European settlement and disease. They survived somewhat longer out west, but still faced the disdain of whites who wanted to use their land for building railroads. Native Americans were placed on ever-shrinking reservations. Fortunately for the natives, attitudes towards them changed in the 20th century, and they have received significant contributions in their efforts to preserve their ancient culture and language. Reservations have significant autonomy within the territory they are made of.

NORWEGIAN - Immigrants from Norway came in large numbers to America in the 19th century. Their story is very similar to the Germans, with many moving to rural regions (especially the Upper Midwest and Prairie States) and conducting life in their native language. Most urban Norwegians eventually dropped their language, but rural Norwegians have kept it living.

PORTUGUESE - Most Portuguese Americans live in the Providence/New Bedford area of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Alta and Baja California, and Florida. Unlike many European groups, Portuguese are still immigrating to the United States in significant numbers, which has led to a high proportion of language retention among Portuguese Americans.

RUSSIAN - Russian immigration to America is primarily concentrated in Alaska, Alta California, and Jefferson, with other sects of Russians immigrating to Boston and New York. It is the former group that retained Russian language the most. Fur traders brought their families to Alaska in the 19th century, most concentrated in the northwest, nearest to their motherland. Most of them stayed when the U.S. bought the area, and although Russian is less widespread in Alaska than it was 150 years ago, western Alaska has significant numbers of speakers and even the monolingual English areas have many Russian-descended people. The West Coast settlements stem from Fort Ross, a Russian military establishment and colony used to supply Alaska with food.

SCOTCH - Also known as Scots or Lallans, the Scotch language was brought to the New World by settlers from the Lowlands of Scotland. Their concentration is highest in New Albion (especially on some of the New Hebrides), which was heavily influenced by Lowlands culture much like Highlands culture influenced Nova Scotia. Small numbers also exist in the Berkshires of Massachusetts and Connecticut, including the town of New Glasgow, Massachusetts.

SPANISH - Spanish has a long history on the American continents, but did not really have a presence in the United States until the 19th century. The cession of Florida by Spain and the conquest of over half of Mexico added significant numbers of Spanish speakers to the United States. The conquest of the independent Dominican Republic and the conquest of Cuba and Puerto Rico from Spain added more Spanish speakers. In the Southwest, Spanish is spoken most in the areas that were already somewhat settled when they were conquered by the United States. Smaller numbers exist in large urban areas, largely the result of international Latin migration (domestic Latin Americans tend to move to other areas that already speak Spanish).

SWEDISH - Swedish speakers have an origin story virtually identical to the Norwegians, largely coming to America in the 19th century and moving to rural areas where their language has lived on.

UKRAINIAN - The majority of Ukrainian Americans live in the states of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Most of these Ukrainians are descended from people who lived in Austrian-ruled Galicia, which was one of Europe's poorest regions at the end of the 19th century. The Prairie States were advertised as an ideal location for impoverished Ukrainian emigres. Their population is heavily concentrated, since early settlers wanted to be with family and people from nearby villages.

So for a few posts over in the Miscellaneous Fallout thread @Historyman 14 and I bantered back and forth about the idea of Steampunk version of Fallout where an Imperial Federation of Britain, and Imperial Russia (which take the place of the United States* and China respectively) are duking it out over some of the last scraps of coal on earth. Out of boredom I start playing around trying to map pre-war North America with the scant details we came up with and ended up with this.....
upload_2018-6-17_15-7-18.png

....suffice to say, it still won't be ending well.

*As for the USA of TTL, it was never settled, but I was leaning it turned its border into things that would make the Maginot Line look like a white picket fence, and basically daring the Imperial Federation and the Golden Circle Confederacy to try something, and that's what I ended up mapping. And props to whoever came up with the insane Hudson Bay territory idea. I know I stole that from someone.

So for a few posts over in the Miscellaneous Fallout thread @Historyman 14 and I bantered back and forth about the idea of Steampunk version of Fallout where an Imperial Federation of Britain, and Imperial Russia (which take the place of the United States* and China respectively) are duking it out over some of the last scraps of coal on earth. Out of boredom I start playing around trying to map pre-war North America with the scant details we came up with and ended up with this.....
View attachment 392547

....suffice to say, it still won't be ending well.

*As for the USA of TTL, it was never settled, but I was leaning it turned its border into things that would make the Maginot Line look like a white picket fence, and basically daring the Imperial Federation and the Golden Circle Confederacy to try something, and that's what I ended up mapping. And props to whoever came up with the insane Hudson Bay territory idea. I know I stole that from someone.

This looks great!

Poor Mexico. Now that I think about it, I would think an Maximilian Mexico could be fun to work with, a counter to the CSA, and in fact one of the few stable places left in the world. (Fill with a few of Freach and Austrians, and fighting an proxy war with the Golden Circle over Central America.)

Meanwhile, the Brazilians have taken Portugal Colonial Empire off their dead hands while eyeing all powerful Paraguay.

The United States of America is a nation of many tongues.
Strange how there aren't any Asian languages, given the high immigration rates from Asia in American history. You'd think there'd at least be some Chinese and Japanese majority-areas in California or something, given its otl history.

Cross-post from MotF 178:

motf_178_preview_by_reagentah-dce3mqm.png

Due to imagehost / server issues, full sized map can be found here: https://reagentah.deviantart.com/art/The-Fourth-Shore-749278333

Administrative Divisions of the Kingdom of Greece, Published by the Hellenic Cartographic Society in 2018:

greece_map_preview_by_reagentah-dcepfmc.png

Due to Imagehost / Server issues, the full size map can be found here:
https://reagentah.deviantart.com/art/Greece-is-Not-a-Small-Country-750281033

----

Following the death of King Alexander and the ultimate dissolution of the Hellenic regime in 1986, a gradual process of reform with a side-focus on decentralisation swept over the Kingdom, the ultimate result of which was the Kapodistrias Plan; named after the first Governor and Prime Minister of the modern Hellenic Kingdom and implemented in stages throughout the 1990s, it saw a top-down total reform of the nation's administrative divisions into regional units whose borders were purposefully drawn to coincide with the historical regions of Hellas as closely as possible.

Each region is overseen by a crown-appointed governor, which oversees the duties undertaken by the elected prefect from each prefecture, whose duties are, in turn, shared with the elected municipal governments throughout their respective prefectures; there are also two city-prefectures, comprising the dual capitals of Athens and Constantinople, whose prefects are elected separately from the regional ones and who operate exclusively within their respective designated boundaries in conjunction with the elected mayors and city councils. However, even following the reforms, the regional government's powers continue to be limited only to those specific fields required by them for their everyday local functions, leaving the Athenian Ministries in direct control of most of the actual state through the governors in what continues to be one of the most centralised states in modern-day Europe.

With that being said, select prefectures in Epirus, the Korysta Prefecture in north-western Macedonia, the region of Cyrenaica and the Autonomous Monastic State of the Holy Community of Mount Athos reserve for themselves certain unique rights; in the case of Epirus and Macedonia, under the new reforms, the prefectures are now permitted to operate jointly in both Greek and Albanian, in recognition of the historic Albanian communities permeating the areas in question, whereas the lingual rights legally attributed to Cyrenaica under the Hellenic state's standing legislation are the subject of a long-standing dispute between the locals and the regional government, which has so far steadfastly refused to actually implement bilingualism in any official capacity. Finally, in the case of Mount Athos, historic legislation ingrained into the Hellenic Constitution has permitted it theocratic self-rule since Macedonia's liberation from the Ottomans in 1912.

---

The full timeline behind this map can be found here.

Last edited:
Awesome resource. I imagine it's taken awhile to research all of the borders involved in this.

Thanks - not to long. I've put much more time in other maps. It took equal time searching for the correct spelling in english for the ancient city names.

Deleted member 108228

Strange how there aren't any Asian languages, given the high immigration rates from Asia in American history. You'd think there'd at least be some Chinese and Japanese majority-areas in California or something, given its otl history.

I'm assuming only 'civilized' tongues are allowed i.e. European.

I think they wont allow some 'barbaric language'. This was the era of Imperialism

Status
Not open for further replies.