Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

If I may, I need to vent about the combat in this game, because it sucks.

I just had an army of 45,000 men go up against an army of 16,000 and lose. Horribly. As in we lost nearly 30,000 and they lost about 5,000. Our generals were almost equal, and I could find no reason that terrain would be that much of a differential. This is fairly standard in my attempts to play this game. In that same attempt to play it I also had an army of 16,000 with a solid general go up against an AI army of 5,000 with no general. We lost 14,000. They lost 1,000. This is completely fucking ridiculous. I now remember why I unistalled it a long time ago, and will be doing so again, probably permanently.

I just had an army of 45,000 men go up against an army of 16,000 and lose. Horribly. As in we lost nearly 30,000 and they lost about 5,000. Our generals were almost equal, and I could find no reason that terrain would be that much of a differential. This is fairly standard in my attempts to play this game. In that same attempt to play it I also had an army of 16,000 with a solid general go up against an AI army of 5,000 with no general. We lost 14,000. They lost 1,000. This is completely fucking ridiculous. I now remember why I unistalled it a long time ago, and will be doing so again, probably permanently.

There are lots of other variables than what you listed.

Numbers? That tells us nothing. How many infantry, cavalry, and artillery in each army?
How about the discipline of your forces? The enemies? How about the combat ability of both sides too?
How about technology level? As your military tech goes up so too does your tactics, which can make or break many battles between otherwise equal armies.

There are lots of other variables than what you listed.

Numbers? That tells us nothing. How many infantry, cavalry, and artillery in each army?
How about the discipline of your forces? The enemies? How about the combat ability of both sides too?
How about technology level? As your military tech goes up so too does your tactics, which can make or break many battles between otherwise equal armies.
It was fairly close to the beginning. The infantry and cavalry were split about 2:1. No artillery because it hadn't been invented yet. The enemies were rebels both times.

It was fairly close to the beginning. The infantry and cavalry were split about 2:1. No artillery because it hadn't been invented yet. The enemies were rebels both times.
That's really odd then, you should have wiped the floor with them as they would have similar military tech to you as well as discipline and combat strength. Your troops should have been getting flanking bonuses due to their larger size and unless you were fighting across a river or into a mountain you should win an engagement like that.

That's really odd then, you should have wiped the floor with them as they would have similar military tech to you as well as discipline and combat strength. Your troops should have been getting flanking bonuses due to their larger size and unless you were fighting across a river or into a mountain you should win an engagement like that.
National Ideas?

Combat width, check in your military screen. It controls how many units actually fight. Extras just wait as reserves, they don't take damage but they do lose morale.
Early game it's like 12 or so, so only a part of your force was actually engaged the rest were just waiting and taking morale damage.

That's for the big one. The little one I don't get unless you were way behind on tech or had too much cav or something.

No, like I said it was earlyish in-game, before artillery was invented. The main enemy were rebels. Can’t check because I uninstalled the game again to go back to CKII.
You lost that bad against rebels?

The only thing I can think of is, where you drilling your troops? Did you remember to turn off drill and let your morale tick back up?
Otherwise, yeah something screwy went on there.

First game of EUIV, and I choose a hard one. Brandenburg-Prussia begining at December 24, 1619, with the ascension of George William to the throne. I played one test game about five years to get a rough handle on the interface and then started over.

Despite the Commonwealth winning a war with Austria to enforce a personal union over Sweden in 1620, I managed to win my freedom almost immediately afterward by getting the backing of Russia, France and Brunswick. I then conquered Pomerania and crowned myself the King in Prussia.

Austria made me release Stettin, but I got to keep the other four provinces, so I was still happy.

Laid low for a little while and then conquered Rostock from Holstein. Austria complained but this time I told them to pound sand and they haven't done anything about it.

Commonwealth attacked Denmark over Gottland for their Swedish territory (Personal Union). I honored the alliance and fought hard for several years before I peaced out with a three province gain that connected my territory. Would have fought to the end, but I ran out of manpower and didn't want to risk further battles. Denmark managed to win the war.

Not a good screen shot, but it shows most of my territory. Ominously, the Commonwealth and Sweden have been inherited by a Hapsburg branch! They were completely wrecked by the Ottomans soon after, and lost half a dozen southern provinces.

MF3vCZ3.jpg

I launched the Protestant League War of Liberation and wow, you know, bad as the Thirty Year's War was, I don't think it was quite this bad.

Md139115

Banned
My advice?

Take your armies, abandon Prussia, retreat to Denmark, death stack with them and kill the Swedes, while the Ottomans and Russians kill the Commonwealth and most of the South Germans.

Alternatively... you could surrender unconditionally, convert (back) to Catholicism, and simultaneously set yourself up to be the main challenger to the HRE throne and pull off the most epic mindf**k of European history. :p

My advice?

Take your armies, abandon Prussia, retreat to Denmark, death stack with them and kill the Swedes, while the Ottomans and Russians kill the Commonwealth and most of the South Germans.

First time playing EU4 so I was a bit thrown off as what to do with a war this big. Unlike with HOI4 there are no front lines, just dozens and dozens of independent armies caroming like billiard balls across the map like crazy. Had to restart a few times because I was getting crushed.

Strategy I settled on was focus on beating Austrian and Commonwealth invasions to build warscore from battles. WS is up to 9%, so it's going okay. Will try to see if I can force some minors out today.

Really need some advice for a Golden Horde run. I started as Kazan.

Which should be my first target? Who should I ally with? When should I strike Muscovy?

I haven't played much as a horde but brief advice

1. Gold Mines are going to be a major part of your income. Add Development to the one you have as Kazen, since I think yours is the main horde that has it. I think the other ones are much further east. DON'T give it to a estate which for you is just tribes because of autonomy. Don't worry about inflation too much, since as a horde you will likely take economic to reform out of a horde.
  2. The Great Horde fall apart a lot. Take the provinces that border Muscovy, as doing so prevents Muscovy getting a mission that gives permanent claims on most of your land. You may have to wait for them to get into a fight, you can hope they don't maintain their southern fort and rush for it or just try take them in a straight fight. I've done all three in various games.
  3. Ottomans are a great ally, but most of the time ally Crimea. If you can get a border with Crimea and see what happens with a event that happens when their starting ruler dies. It has a chance to make them a march of the Ottomans or they reject it and get some rebels and maybe lose the alliance with Ottomans.
  4. Timurid are great for a few years. Then their starting monarch dies and their vassals kick the shit out of them. Don't ally them, but if they do come into a war against you with all their vassals that can be bad. Unless nobody gives them access which happened in a game of Muscovy for me.
  5. Razing gives you monarch points. Try do it in areas that you aren't going to make states, are other culture and religion.
  6. Cavalry armies and High shock help with stake wipes. Stick to flat land, open battles, since you get a shock bonus. Get Muscovy to fight in your turf.
  7. Muscovy has a vassal swarm. This means no allies for them without giving over the diplo limit, but it means a lot of troops. You can try to snipe off the stacks where possible which can help. Muscovy should be beaten before they eat up the rest of Russia, by which point they become very powerful. Strike while they are fighting Novgorod. However that doesn't make it a slam dunk. I have won as Muscovy a two front war against Novgorod and Kazan, with a few loans.
  8. Some of the Muslim nation schools and the piety bonuses can be very strong. The school bonuses can be obtained by good relations and a alliance / vassalisation of some other Muslims. Heathen schools require mysticism thought, the shia ones have more military stuff.

Last edited: