Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
BnedGAt.png

An opening/teaser to my current WIP timeline involving a new Chinese dynasty, various breakaway states and a different East Asia.

Now this IS interesting. And I would love to see more.

Gian

Banned
This is going to be rather unconventional, since this is an ASB map based in some of my own fears regarding the 2026 World Cup bidding process, in particular the final vote in Moscow. That said, I am certain that this won't happen, hence the ASB part of it (so I think it isn't "advocating conspiracies" or that sort of thing :confounded:)

----------------------------------------------

I'm not going to provide a highly complex description, but the basic story is that some Russophile troll ASB decides to give both Putin and RFU President (and Deputy Prime Minister) Viltaly Mutko a few "creative ideas" on how to spite the West again. When the 68th FIFA Congress meets in Moscow, everyone is surprised to see members of the Russian military and police infiltrate the congress and literally point a gun to their heads so as to not only vote for Morocco gaining the 2026 World Cup, but to permanently expel the countries behind the United 2026 bid (that is Canada, the United States, and Mexico) from FIFA entirely. When Infantino protests however, he is gunned down by said military who then force the congress to vote Mutko in as new FIFA President.

This ultimately triggers an immediate boycott by several Western nations, and even countries like Brazil and Argentina over Putin's apparently dictating to FIFA at the (literal) barrel of a gun, who then proceed to create a new organization separate from FIFA's, with the World Championship being organized around June 2022.

tyy302a.png

The original three countries permanently expelled in dark-red, the initial boycotting countries in red, and those which eventually joined the WFF prior to the 2022 World Championship (in light-red)

Honestly, it's a hot mess. Hopefully, the map I'm making would be much better than this.

This is going to be rather unconventional, since this is an ASB map based in some of my own fears regarding the 2026 World Cup bidding process, in particular the final vote in Moscow. That said, I am certain that this won't happen, hence the ASB part of it (so I think it isn't "advocating conspiracies" or that sort of thing :confounded:)

I'm not going to provide a highly complex description, but the basic story is that some Russophile troll ASB decides to give both Putin and RFU President (and Deputy Prime Minister) Viltaly Mutko a few "creative ideas" on how to spite the West again. When the 68th FIFA Congress meets in Moscow, everyone is surprised to see members of the Russian military and police infiltrate the congress and literally point a gun to their heads so as to not only vote for Morocco gaining the 2026 World Cup, but to permanently expel the countries behind the United 2026 bid (that is Canada, the United States, and Mexico) from FIFA entirely. When Infantino protests however, he is gunned down by said military who then force the congress to vote Mutko in as new FIFA President.

This ultimately triggers an immediate boycott by several Western nations, and even countries like Brazil and Argentina over Putin's apparently dictating to FIFA at the (literal) barrel of a gun, who then proceed to create a new organization separate from FIFA's, with the World Championship being organized around June 2022.

tyy302a.png

The original three countries permanently expelled in dark-red, the initial boycotting countries in red, and those which eventually joined the WFF prior to the 2022 World Championship (in light-red)

Honestly, it's a hot mess. Hopefully, the map I'm making would be much better than this.
I think that more EU countries, like Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece and probably Turkey (given that the Turks are pretty hostile to the Russians anyway) would boycott FIFA as well. Just my opinion though.

An opening/teaser to my current WIP timeline involving a new Chinese dynasty, various breakaway states and a different East Asia.
Well, most interesting, but 3 points.

First, an empress? Awesomeness aside, traditional Chinese rules of sucession do prevent that, and even in the modern age, East Asia's remaining monarchy, Japan has also seen a push back against a female monarch. How did this come to pass?

Second, names of Chinese Dynasties are typically single syllabeled, often named after the name of the Emperor's base of power during the Spring and Autumn period. So the Hongxian Dynasty probably needs a name change.

Finally, I'd really doubt the plausibility of a resurgent Manchu language. Assuming a POD in the late 19th century (given how it doesn't butterfly Puyi), Manchurian demographics would really be too Han dominated to allow a Manchu resurgence at all. But, if Manchu were in more of a "Creole" form, adopting a great many Chinese loanwords and whatnot, then it'd might be a more plausible initiative.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had to go out on a bit of a limb. Puyi wasn't very good with the ladies and didn't really enjoy getting intimate (he himself said he didn't feel "the need" for it). Wikipedia mentions some adopted son that I couldn't find anything about. I decided it would be a fun twist to have a female monarch, and decided to butterfly it a tad and say that he could only get around to having one kid, who happened to be female. I'm still iffy on this though and might change it later.

Yeah, the Dynasty is where I find the issue. Spoilers for the timeline aside I chose the name for the Hongxian Emperor (aka Yuan Shikai), who was a general/prime minister who briefly declared himself emperor of a new Empire of China. He was a bit of a dunce IOT and sort of ruined what perhaps could have worked out, but his son was notably a bit more driven. Timeline depends on him dying and perhaps the Dynasty being named after him? Not sure honestly. Leaning more and more towards a new name (maybe the Liang Dynasty, ie. 'Bright').

The Manchu language is a bit of a hodgepodge of Manchu with Chinese, Mongolian and a few Russian loanwords. Butterfly depends on a stronger Manchu or Jurchen identity in the 19th century, but thanks to some nasty disputes with the new Chinese Dynasty over succession and a claim to Southern Jehol province, the autocratic government's 'Campaign Against Han Barbarians' was essentially a widespread pogrom and forced tons of Han across the border, not even considering the Han Chinese already leaving thanks to a Han-dominated dynasty to the South.

I appreciate the feedback, I've made maps before but I've never really tried to develop a sort of timeline like this. If you've got any advice for a dynasty name and the like, feel free to let me know or PM.

ow.png
View attachment 379495 after borderline physically destroying my neck i present what i believe to be my most time-consuming map of one nation: the levantine empire and the various houses and republics that rule it

i'll do a legend later but for now just enjoy the pretty colours i guess.

update: now is suez

Last edited:
I always find that I have random ideas in my head from like two to three weeks before I see someone else post a very similar idea in this or another thread and that makes me kind of happy when I do see it.

europe_according_to_historia_regum_britanniae_by_procrastinating2much-dc7mmpv.png

Based on the Historia Regum Britanniae, a pseudohistorical book written in the Middle Ages telling a story about how Britain was founded by Trojans. Obviously not historically accurate, but interesting! The names are all based on archaic descriptions and are also pretty wrong and anachronistic in parts. The dates don't match what they are OTL either, I tried to base it on the supposed date for the Fall of Troy in 1184BCE. The book would then go on to write about King Arthur's conquests of Northern Europe including Iceland.

europe_according_to_historia_regum_britanniae_by_procrastinating2much-dc7mmpv.png

Based on the Historia Regum Britanniae, a pseudohistorical book written in the Middle Ages telling a story about how Britain was founded by Trojans. Obviously not historically accurate, but interesting! The names are all based on archaic descriptions and are also pretty wrong and anachronistic in parts. The dates don't match what they are OTL either, I tried to base it on the supposed date for the Fall of Troy in 1184BCE. The book would then go on to write about King Arthur's conquests of Northern Europe including Iceland.

I never knew this existed, but I am very happy I do now. This would work well even in say a William Shakespeare work.

I never knew this existed, but I am very happy I do now. This would work well even in say a William Shakespeare work.
A lot of Shakespeare’s work was built upon this, mostly because it was accepted as fact until pretty much the 18th century. King Lear for example is based on the 3 sister thing in the 3rd paragraph of my in-map description haha.

cross posting with the one-shot scenario presenting the completed version of my map with some modifications and the long write-up

The Dragon Has Risen.png

The 21st Century was supposed to be the American century an era of unquestioned Western and more prominently American dominance following the fall of the USSR and the emergence of the US as the sole superpower. Only a year into the 21st Century and the United States was subjected to one of the most horrific acts of terrorism in recent memory as planes brought down the Twin Towers and hit the Pentagon. Soon American and allied troops were deployed to Afghanistan to rout out the perpetrators of the attack, and the United States would be drawn in into two decades of conflict in the Middle East and Africa. As costs and body counts rose, and the West declined economically while new crises emerged around the world, they just couldn't keep up, and the US and its allies would slowly withdrew from the region entirely.

As the west declined, China rose despite a few hiccups Chinas economic growth continued unabated. Chinese corporations expanded into the Middle East and Africa and when the West withdrew China moved in taking advantage of entrenched business interests who while the West was fighting its war on terror China businesses were busy making contacts and profits, and soon Chinese troops and bases replaced former American.

The United States burned by the War on Terror and dealing with a declining economy looked inwards in a series of isolationists administrations more focused on domestic issues rather than foreign policy. Defense budgets were slashed, and the US slowly began withdrawing from its overseas deployments. NATO slowly withered on the vine, and US troops withdrew from Japan, Korea, and Austrailia, and for the next two decades retreated for global affairs.

It's now 2048, and the world has a new Commander-in-Chief. China reigns supreme as the worlds premier superpower having surpassed the US economy in the late 2020s, and as the American giant drew inwards, China moved to replace it. From Berlin to Canberra Chinese influence can be seen everywhere. The Yuan is the premier global currency, and the new language of business is Mandarin. The People's Liberation Navy can project power into the seven seas, and Chinese carriers bestow legitimacy on local rulers, having monopolized cross-continental trade. When one walks through the streets of Hong Kong and Shangai one sees a modern country the mix of free-market economics and state capitalism with progressive social programs and the tyranny and backwardness of the 20th century put long behind them.

Yet life in China is far from Idyllic censorship is still heavy, and while the great firewall may be down surveillance remains, and even if the government isn't monitoring things 100% of the time, enough pages are fire-walled, and by this point, many nations have their own internets. In the Chinese interior, many still subsist off of subsistence farming little better than their ancestors of the previous century and who haven't felt the benefits of those on the coast. In Africa Chinese business interests ruthlessly exploit the continent for resources and exotic goods backed by local elites who line their pockets with a cut of Chinese profits, while in Asia the Chinese dominated Asian Union serves to solidify the South China Sea under Chinese dominance. Chinas local enforcer in the region is Indonesia a democracy and a significant economic force whose leadership is increasingly demanding more say in the Chinese system.

China holds allies throughout the world which often serve as local enforcement for Chinese rule, while Japan meanwhile was roped into the Chinese sphere due to the Chinese economic pull and Korea after US troops left, Kim died and the peninsula reunified. Russian is an interesting case and acts independently but cooperates with the PRC and holds its own sphere of influence. The Russian Federation is still under autocratic rule though now it's more of a council and not one shirtless guy on a bear. Iran meanwhile jumped in with China due to economic ties and now is an actual democracy and relatively secular though they do follow sharia law. Germany just decided China paid better following the fall of the EU.

The fall of the European Union in 2032 following the twin withdrawals of Germany and France and sent much of Europe into a short but nasty economic recession whose aftermath would see two Europes form. Chinese Europe consisting of Germany and the Balkans takes advantage of the Chinese financial system and despite a declining population has done very well for itself. The other Europe, the slightly weaker and far more anti-Chinese Europe, consists of the European Commonwealth and is dominated by France and Poland. The EC is split into Eastern and Western Portions dominated by the French-led League of Europe and the Polish-led Międzymorze (Intermarium). The EC hopes to avoid the problems that led to fall of the EU and is a free trade and free movement area similar to Schengen in addition to serving a mutual defense Initiative.

France meanwhile spent the 2020s and 2030s attempting to turn the French world into a real global power, and they have succeeded somewhat forming Françafrique. French investment and economic growth have helped turn the nations of Françafrique into some of the most prosperous in Africa though in many places French-backed local strongman resort to harsh measures to stay in power. France prevents most of its regimes from getting too nasty though with too many extrajudicial killings, and the French Army gets deployed.

The United Kingdom has done relatively well for itself plugging into the Indian Ocean economies and partnering up with India along with the rest of the Anglosphere though they remain pretty close with the European Commonwealth and have turned itself into a pretty potent military power. Italy has finally reformed its government after the crash of 2032 and has seen several years of excellent economic growth Poland meanwhile is doing very well for itself as the new power in Eastern Europe. Romania has absorbed Moldava and split Transnistria with Ukraine once the Russians decided to leave.

The United States having been gone for a generation is now tentatively taking its first steps back onto the global scene. Securing a new power base and grouping of allies for itself. The Chicago Pact is the result initially an alliance formed between the United States and Canada, two states which still espoused democracy and remain doggedly opposed to Chinese dominance. The Chicago Pact has grown into a union of American states seeking to resist Chinese influence and whose recent courting of Brazil one of the most influential economies in the region have made them a force to be reckoned with.

In addition to the pact, the other American alliance system the South-West Pacific Agreement was formed at the behest of Austrailia and New Zealand neither wanting to fall under Chinese dominance and eventually grew to encompass most of the South Pacific who had not yet fallen under Chinese dominance.

In the United States itself, Living standards and income inequality have both gotten significantly better, universal healthcare is finally a thing and Protectionist Capitalism, and huge tariffs have in some ways isolated the U.S. from International corporations and kept local businesses and manufacturing alive. In the political scene, gerrymandering is a thing of the past, and the Republicans have fallen from grace due to a series of party fiascos in the 2030s have been replaced by the Libertarians in the two-party system.

India is the worlds 2nd biggest economy but is surrounded by a China with the upper hand, India however, holds quite a bit of soft power, and Indian foods, music, and movies are seen throughout the World. India is less chaotic than in the early years of the 20th century though only slightly so. Poverty and income inequality have gotten much better, and the Indian military has finally learned to procure equipment correctly, and the recent indigenous Indian combat aircraft isn't an entirely unless so progress. Chinese economic and military might trumps it outright though and to counter India has turned to the US.

The other powers in this world are the East Africa Federation which is a democratic state that is somewhat peeved at Chinese influence and exploitation in Africa. South Africa which has finally overcome the legacy of apartheid race problems and is now a force to be reckoned with and is slowly drawing closer with Britain and India. Saudi Arabia which to everyone's surprise has successfully transitioned from a petrostate into an economy based on services, and Argentina a substantial economic force in its own right yet not powerful enough to contest Brazilian or Chinese influence. Egypt meanwhile is under an autocratic Islamist government albeit a fairly sane and law-abiding one.

Green tech is big and has matured very well. Solar is widespread and is the primary means of generating power, supplemented with nuclear fission and fossil fuels in the developed world. Fusion is now ten years away instead of twenty.

Computer tech is noticeably more advanced but has plateaued since the late 2030s, due to concerns of learning AI and to difficulty getting Moore’s Law to advance without making three-dimensional multi-layered microchips. True AI is in its infancy and technology companies developing it are being closely monitored by their respective governments to prevent a paperclip scenario, no matter how unlikely. Even with a lot of automation, human- level intelligent AI is still in the lab, so there isn't a debate over AI rights. The main issue with AI is that after it is written, learning software needs several years to learn, and it is difficult to copy.

A lot of research has gone into nanomaterials, and nanotech is finding its way into the medical and material field. The exorbitant cost, however, is putting a dampener on its use.

Biotech is huge. Big pharma has a lot more funds to allocate toward research now that recreational drugs make up a significant portion of their sales as the slow legalization of recreational drugs occurred throughout the Western world in the 2020s and 2030s. Drug epidemics have been prevented with the invention of cheap anti-addiction medicine and a much-improved system for treating addicts.

Most organs and limbs can be replaced with augmentations in the event of catastrophic damage as advancements in robotics and medicine have allowed many to recover from what would have been disabling injuries. Recreationally augmentation is a thing, but the limits of technology have meant that they can only improve the human body so far. Augments for the Brain are still in their infancy though some prototypes have come out in recent years that boost your thinking. Augmentation is still controversial throughout the Western world with the regulation and legality being a case currently being debated in the supreme court and across the country. In the East, however, augments aren't given much attention and are mostly legal.

Genetic engineering is advanced, with most babies being screened and edited for diseases in the 1st World. However, designer babies are limited and in most countries that allow them only genes from the mother and father can be used. People are relatively wary about said technology and its a hot-button issue throughout the developed world.

The economy is more automated though the impact is less than as one would think. While self-driving cars and commercial trucks work well on the highway, paranoia about accidents means its law to have a person operating with a vehicle at all time in case of any mechanical difficulties. Some have called laws unnecessary until a car crash or malfunction kills some innocents and gets them to shut up.

Exo-skeletons and military combat suits are now a thing and have seen much employment in logistics, logging, construction, and occasionally sees some use as a heavy weapons platform with the newer military models.

There have been significant advances in geoengineering, reducing the effects of global warming significantly. The tech was innovated and implemented en masse by the developed world. CO2 scrubbers and cloud seeders are used en masse and investment into the field have only increased. Oh, and everyone has finally accepted climate change is a thing save for some holdouts and loggerheads.

On the military side of things not too much has changed. Tanks and armored vehicles are still in use now packing guns in the 130-150mm range mostly with unmanned turrets and armored capsules for crew survivability. Unfortunately, nobody has managed to develop a power source big enough to power a railgun and small enough to fit in an AFV. Point Defence lasers are now a thing though mostly mounted on specialized vehicles though some newer AFVs have them pre-installed. Magnetic weapons are now a thing with railguns and gauss guns are seeing substantial use on ships to serve as air defense and for shore bombardment. Advancements in ABM systems have also been made, and they are now capable enough to do some damage to any first strike and sufficient to take down any missile from a rogue state.

Hypersonic jets and space planes are seeing widespread use. Anti-satellite weapons are a significant thing though the damage they would cause to global communications has somewhat discouraged their use. Low Earth Orbit has been pretty heavily developed and man has landed on the Mars there are a few bases on the Moon two Chinese one American and one Indian with a joint European base under construction. A Mars base in the works but is about a decade or two down the line.

The world has become more prosperous, more populous, and in some ways a better place, but in others worse. Democracy is no longer on the decline; where it remains it is firmly rooted, but the vast majority of states that were in the democratic-autocratic grey area back in the 2000s have moved solidly into the autocracy camp. With systems of government similar to Chinas to family dynasties and everything in between.

Chineses culture increasingly replacing Westernization with Sinification almost everywhere. Globalization though seems to be diminishing in its effect, even as Mandarin is challenging English for the title of Lingua Franca. Still, most strongly in India, Europe, and Africa but also to a lesser degree in the U.S. and Chinese dominated lands like Vietnam, Kongo, and Japan, movements to end Chinese dominance are quietly growing in strength and popularity. Will the era of Chinese dominance last the century?

Last edited:
austro_hungarian_jan_mayen_by_federalrepublic-dc7nqou.png

Both the island of Jan Mayen and the idea of Austrian colonies have fascinated me for ages now. In fact I'm 100 percent certain I already did a WorldA map which featured Jan Mayen as an Austrian colony but thanks to finding a good basemap to work with, I made this yesterday (and gave it its finishing touches this morning). I didn't even have to come up with a lot of placenames, thanks to half of the geographic designators either being super generic or already having an Austrian origin thanks to the 1882/83 Austro-Hungarian arctic expedition (which incidentally helped provide me with most of the names I did come up with, too).

It's a small map and I'm not a big fan of how I did the glacier, but... It was a fun experiment.

Shoutout to the Norwegian Polar Data Centre (data.npolar.no/home/), by the way. It's a great ressource for anyone interested in the Arctic and it provided me with tons of info about the various places of Jan Mayen, including their etymology.

upload_2018-4-2_12-33-11.png

Dialects of Britain:
Orange: Irish
purple in Scotland: Pictish
dark orange: Scotish
(non updated further)

Areas south of the Antonine wall:
green: Celtic element
red: Roman element
blue: Germanic element.

Map depicts situation immediatley after the conquest by William of Normandy.
)What can be seen on the map?
  • Galloway is a bastion of northern Brythonic.
  • Lothian and Northumberland speak a Germanic-Celtic mixed language
  • Cumbric exists; Lancashire is undergoing heavy romanisation.
  • The purest Welsh is spoken in Gwynedd; Deheurbath already has a strong Romance element; while Glamorgan speaks a Romance dialect with ultra heavy Celtic influence.
  • Cornish exists; Devon is partially romanised.
  • Three Germanic areas exist: one in Yorkshire, one in Norfolk and one on the isle of Wight. East Anglia has many Germanic influences.
  • There are three important dialects of British:
    • Eboraqian in Yorkshire
    • Flavian spoken in Mercia
    • And Atrevatian of southern England.

View attachment 379569
Dialects of Britain:
Orange: Irish
purple in Scotland: Pictish
dark orange: Scotish
(non updated further)

Areas south of the Antonine wall:
green: Celtic element
red: Roman element
blue: Germanic element.

Map depicts situation immediatley after the conquest by William of Normandy.
)What can be seen on the map?
  • Galloway is a bastion of northern Brythonic.
  • Lothian and Northumberland speak a Germanic-Celtic mixed language
  • Cumbric exists; Lancashire is undergoing heavy romanisation.
  • The purest Welsh is spoken in Gwynedd; Deheurbath already has a strong Romance element; while Glamorgan speaks a Romance dialect with ultra heavy Celtic influence.
  • Cornish exists; Devon is partially romanised.
  • Three Germanic areas exist: one in Yorkshire, one in Norfolk and one on the isle of Wight. East Anglia has many Germanic influences.
  • There are three important dialects of British:
    • Eboraqian in Yorkshire
    • Flavian spoken in Mercia
    • And Atrevatian of southern England.

why is ireland all just one kind of dialect?

wouldn't munster, ulster, lenister and connacht have some variation?

cool map regardless, but the 'only one' dialect in ireland is a bit confusing to me

One day I shall do a Happy Shiny version of that map. With annotations.

And on that day YOU SHALL BECOME A GOD!

<snip awesome map>

You are awesome, and also fantastic.

Hey, made a TL about more successful communist revolutions in the 1920s. The PoD is a Soviet victory in the Polish- Soviet War. After the war, the Red Army supported Communist revolutionaries and, with their help, established a Communist government in Germany. During the German Civil War as it would be known, the French and Belgians occupied the Rhineland and Baden- Wurttemburg and to use as a buffer between them and the new People's Republic of Germany. After their intervention, the Soviets would turn their attention to aiding the Communist government led by Bela Kun against Czechoslovakia and Romania, which would be occupied and communist governments would be installed in them.Furthermore, communists would rise up in Spain (funded by the Comintern of course) and successfully form a communist government (though a Spanish government in exile would be formed in Rio De Oro and Equatorial Guinea.) The new German government would also fight a war against Denmark after the latter tried to take Schleswig- Holstein. The Danes would loose and a communist government would be installed in Denmark as well (though a government in exile would form in Iceland and Greenland) After the wars, Trotsky, leader of the Red Army, would have a lot more political clout. As such, Stalin would never have been able to gain power and after Lenin's death, Trotsky would come to power. This would have many ramifications, inducing a Soviet Union more actively spreading the Communist revolution during the interwar period. Meanwhile, in the West, many were deeply concerned over the rapid rise of Communism and the Entente would become an anti- Communist alliance to protect against any further Communist incursions. Thus we see the state of things just before the Great Depression in 1929.
maap1925.png

COMINTERN*:
USSR
Poland
Finland
Germany
Denmark
Czechoslovakia
Hungary
Romania
Spain
ENTENTE*:
Denmark (government in exile)
UK (and dominions)
Netherlands
Belgium
Luxembourg
Rhineland
France
Baden- Wurttemburg
Portugal
Spain (government in exile)
Italy
Austria
Yugoslavia
Albania
Greece
Bulgaria
NEUTRALS*:
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Persia
Saudi Arabia
*this lists only includes nations visible in the map or mentioned in the write up, there are probably others.

Status
Not open for further replies.