Automotive WI - 1966 RWD GM V Platform eventually replaces other large RWD GM Platforms in US

What if the 1966 RWD GM V Platform (with lengths ranging from around 180-200 inches) became a global platform like the much smaller 1973 GM T Platform in OTL, eventually replacing other large RWD GM Platforms in the US domestic market for the likes of Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick and Cadillac from the mid/late-1960s onwards (along with possibly others such as Isuzu)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_V_platform_(1966)

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
What if the 1966 RWD GM V Platform (with lengths ranging from around 180-200 inches) became a global platform like the much smaller 1973 GM T Platform in OTL, eventually replacing other large RWD GM Platforms in the US domestic market for the likes of Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick and Cadillac from the mid/late-1960s onwards (along with possibly others such as Isuzu)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_V_platform_(1966)

Too small for the North American intermediate and full size in '66, the Opels were a lot smaller, 20 odd inches in wheelbase less than the B Body fullsize, and even 5 inches smaller than the 'Compact' X-Body like the Chevy II and Nova, though a bit bigger than the later Vega sub-compact.

GM won't think of downsized everything till the 2nd OilShock

In OTL various versions of the V Platform was able to feature various engines from 6-cylinders such as Holden Straight-6, Opel CiH 6-cylinder, Chevrolet Straight-6, Buick V6, GM 60-degree V6 and GM 54-degree V6 units to 8-cylinders such as the Holden V8, Chevrolet Small-Block V8 and LS-based GM small-block V8 units (along with entry-level 4-cylinder units).

The idea being for GM's US domestic market model to share the same basic platform including Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Cadillac variants yet featuring unique exterior bodies and largely carrying over their respective engines for a bit longer (albeit thoroughly developed) compared to OTL prior to GM also deciding to rationalize its engines.

Too small for the North American intermediate and full size in '66, the Opels were a lot smaller, 20 odd inches in wheelbase less than the B Body fullsize, and even 5 inches smaller than the 'Compact' X-Body like the Chevy II and Nova, though a bit bigger than the later Vega sub-compact.

GM won't think of downsized everything till the 2nd OilShock

The later V platform Holdens featured a wheelbase of 110-116 inches and length of 192-200 inches, though similar sized or larger versions of the V platform would have likely been developed from the outset in the same way regional versions of the much smaller OTL 1973 GM T platform drifted and differed from each other.

marathag

Banned
The later V platform Holdens featured a wheelbase of 110-116 inches and length of 192-200 inches, though similar sized or larger versions of the V platform would have likely been developed from the outset in the same way regional versions of the much smaller OTL 1973 GM T platform drifted and differed from each other.

So how are you going to sell that to Fred Donner, GM Chairman, in 1966 when GM was at its zenith of production and profit?

' Hey, we want to replace all the GM A,B, G, W and X Bodies with the tiny Opel V, because it could be scaled up over a decade, while limiting what Fisher Body could do'

You would get demoted. It had been only 5 years since the debacle of Mopar downsizing ahead of customer desire, and Nader had just beat the hell out of GM over their first small unibody Z car, the Corvair, smaller than the X body Chevy II.

GM lost its sense of adventure, and with the new Assembly Division, Chevy or Pontiac could no longer run projects like the Corvair or Tempest under the radar, everything had to be approved by the Board.

And the V would not be approved as the sole chassis. I think you would have a hard time replacing the failing Z body with the V in 1966

Another platform to consider would be what formed the basis for the Opel Diplomat A and B models in OTL, being expended as part of an earlier VOH / TASC to replace many of GM's US domestic market large platforms.

If the Diplomat A/B platform has the same degree of stretch as the smaller V platform over the latter's production life, it would potentially equate to a maximum wheelbase / length of 125 inches / 220 inches respectively with a a potential production life of around 30-40 years.

The following article explores an ATL scenario where the Opel Diplomat formed the basis for an earlier 1965 Cadillac Seville, though my scenario envisions the Diplomat platform eventually being adopted by Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac and Oldsmobile as well as throughout the GM Empire such as Vauxhall, Holden and Isuzu / etc. - http://www.curbsideclassic.com/alte...ack-mercedes-and-became-a-global-best-seller/

The Diplomat platform was also capable of forming the basis for a Sports / GT car as was the case with the Bitter CD in OTL. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Cars#CD

Additionally early involvement by Vauxhall in sharing the basic platform of the Opel Diplomat A for its ATL Vauxhall Cresta / Viscount PC would have also allowed Vauxhall to develop their own Sports / GT car via a Diplomat-based production version of the Vauxhall Vettura concept. - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-vettura-concept

Last edited:
One scenario might be to have GM "consolidate" its non-USA makes/models to common platforms earlier and dovetail that into the domestic line-up, so this platform becomes the focus of offshore development and one of the mid-size/compact platforms, either imported or produced domestically and for export, or both (as Camry/Lexus ES was "shared"). You get GM running the import/export balancing that keeps ships full and trains loaded both directions. Thus I think you need some earlier movement to dedicated automobile transport in both rail and shipping to encourage things. You need GM to have a vision of holding or gaining global market share with platforms geared to local markets but produced anywhere in its global factory complex. Here Opel might become an actual USA brand to offer "European/German" excellence once German cars like BMW go luxury. "Partner" this Opel to Buick at that level just below Cadillac by the late-1980s? Making Buick the export oriented "luxury" brand in the process, smaller and sportier than big Caddys. Perhaps you need to butterfly the Corvair theory of taking on the Volkswagen and have GM see this platform as its preferred "compact" import fighter by being an import itself.

They already did that somewhat in OTL with the Vauxhall Viva HA and Opel Kadett A, while the Holden Torana was derived from the Vauxhall Viva HB. Interestingly there was a parallel transverse-engined FWD project by Vauxhall known as XP-714 (the original article at Vauxpedia is currently being updated) that was to use a 998cc Opel OHV and spawn a Chevrolet variant called the Sprint or Heron (one of many mockups below) as well as an Opel variant with a 700cc version of the Opel OHV engine.
xp-71415.02-horz.jpg

Despite the problems of XP-714, it did not stop Vauxhall from investigating a Viva HB-based conventional Mini challenger project called the S-Car that would eventually be merged to become part of the global T-Car project and form the basis of the Vauxhall Chevette and Opel Kadett C "City" 3-door hatchback though they could have theoretically developed a 3-door hatchback Viva / Kadett much earlier.

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-s-car-programme

Both the Vauxhall Viva HB and Opel Kadett B via the Viva HB-based Holden Torana and Kadett B-based Opel Olympia A demonstrate the platforms were capable of taking larger engines for locally built US market variants of the Viva / Kadett, while the Viva HA proved the platform was capable of spinning off a small sportscar to take on the MG Midget and Triumph Spitfire that also could have been built alongside locally produced US market Viva / Kadett variants.

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-ha-roadster-concept

Vauxhall and Holden could have probably shared the 1964 Opel Diplomat A instead of the 1969 Opel Diplomat as proposed in OTL, along with sharing the V platform-based Opel Rekord C / Commodore A though would have other US GM marques follow suit in adopting both large platforms prior to the 70s fuel crises.

Although I understand the impetus behind Vauxhall building small cars in the UK market, appealing to both an economy and size conscious urban buyer, I do not follow why Opel moved effectively down market as Germany itself moved upward towards luxury and performance. it is as if the GM managers were building towards the impoverished post-war era rather than follow the consumer or that they could never accept that Germany had design, engineering and status beyond the Volkswagen Beetle. Perhaps we need something to get corporate to see Opel as one of its technology and performance centers, focusing on the smaller sized but no less quality models as an Oldsmobile or Buick, adding performance in handling especially rather than straight line power. This would give GM the needed expertise and models to respond to the oil shock with something other than the sub-compact. This is not to say the Vega or Chevette is junk, but GM had to rush to market rather than draw from another division already there. So I do like your idea I think it opens better doors for GM to continue its dominance and become a better global company. GM needs to see its foreign holdings as another part of the overall company rather than step-children.

In my own thinking on a different Germany I have pondered Opel a lot (Ford too). As an aside I have Opel build the Korvette as its sports coupe, fitting the naval theme for names. I feared I might have butterflied the Corvette itself and I felt sad. I have Opel filling better the middle range in Germany, leaning upwards, so it better compares to Audi or BMW, Horch and Mercedes being top, the lower rungs held by DKW and Wanderer, Borgward in there somewhere longer too. Here I have Ford stay with lower end cars to sell across Europe and into the colonial holdings as I think Ford was more oriented to the UK and liked to be able to move between its factories to circumvent labor unrest or avoid tariffs. This might mean Vauxhall leans to larger and more sporty cars too, following the Opel lead. It is hard to get economies of scale like Detroit in Europe so I play to the smaller European market slices, something I think pays off beginning in the 1980s or 1970s for me as I sort of shift things ahead a decade.

AFAIK it appears Opel had little to no desire in developing its own V8 engine project above the CiH 6-cylinder, so would likely either continue using the Chevrolet Small Block V8 or later share the Vauxhall Slant-Four derived Vauxhall V8 as its own in the same way the smaller Vauxhall Viva engines were directly related or essentially the same as the Opel OHV engines.

Not sure what you mean on Opel moving downmarket as they planned to develop the Kadett A from the outset as part of a $250 million expansion plan by GM for Opel in 1960 and ended up being the first model to be jointly developed with Vauxhall. Opel apparently had their own 1960s FWD project though little seems to be available, both they and Vauxhall adopted the 3-door Kadett "City" and Chevette hatchbacks as early challengers to the supermini class prior to the Vauxhall Nova / Opel Corsa A (though Vauxhall looked at their own FWD supermini project called the Vauxhall Scamp). - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-ha---viva

One question that comes to mind is how to butterfly away the Vega in place of another platform above the T-car yet below the V platform. GM Europe had the U-Car that formed the basis for the Opel Ascona B and mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier, yet unlike the Vega it is doubtful whether a V8 could have been able to fit without ruining the balance of the U-Car platform short of the V8 being all-alloy. A 6-cylinder should be little issue though if the Opel Manta B is anything to go by. - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-u-car---cavalier-mk1

Vauxhall had plans to develop their own equivalent of the Opel GT called the Vauxhall GT aka XP-867 though it never reached production. - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-xp-867-concept

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
One question that comes to mind is how to butterfly away the Vega in place of another platform above the T-car yet below the V platform.

Other than build quality from self-inflicted labor trouble and a terrible engine, the Vega was pretty sound. Looked good, priced right.

That's one car that would have shined with the 215 V8 or the old Buick 225 V6 that GM foolishly sold off to Kaiser in '67, that AMC decided not to use after 1970 when they got bought for the Jeep line.

From the wiki
One quick idea was tried by Buick engineers — taking an old Fireball V6 picked up at a junkyard and installing it into a 1974 Buick Apollo. The solution worked so well that GM wanted AMC to put the engine back into production. However, AMC's cost per unit was deemed as too high. Instead of buying completed engines, GM made an offer to buy back the tooling and manufacturing line from AMC in April, 1974, and began building the engines on August 12.[1] With production back within GM, Buick re-introduced the V6 that fall in certain 1975 models — a move made possible by the fact that foundations for the old V6 machinery were still intact at Buick's engine assembly plant in Flint, Michigan, so it was easy to put the old tooling back in place and begin production at least two years ahead of the normal schedule that would have been required to create new tooling. The bore was enlarged to 3.8 in (96.5 mm), identical to the Buick 350 and Olds 307 V8s, yielding 231 cu in (3.8 L) displacement. 78,349 231s were installed in Buicks for 1975

Other than build quality from self-inflicted labor trouble and a terrible engine, the Vega was pretty sound. Looked good, priced right.

That's one car that would have shined with the 215 V8 or the old Buick 225 V6 that GM foolishly sold off to Kaiser in '67, that AMC decided not to use after 1970 when they got bought for the Jeep line.

From the wiki
One quick idea was tried by Buick engineers — taking an old Fireball V6 picked up at a junkyard and installing it into a 1974 Buick Apollo. The solution worked so well that GM wanted AMC to put the engine back into production. However, AMC's cost per unit was deemed as too high. Instead of buying completed engines, GM made an offer to buy back the tooling and manufacturing line from AMC in April, 1974, and began building the engines on August 12.[1] With production back within GM, Buick re-introduced the V6 that fall in certain 1975 models — a move made possible by the fact that foundations for the old V6 machinery were still intact at Buick's engine assembly plant in Flint, Michigan, so it was easy to put the old tooling back in place and begin production at least two years ahead of the normal schedule that would have been required to create new tooling. The bore was enlarged to 3.8 in (96.5 mm), identical to the Buick 350 and Olds 307 V8s, yielding 231 cu in (3.8 L) displacement. 78,349 231s were installed in Buicks for 1975

The Vega platform could have benefited from a bit more stretch to allow for 4/5-door variants, it is strange as the smaller Chevrolet Chevette T-Car was available with a 5-door hatchback while the similarly-sized Opel Ascona B / mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier U-Cars were also available as 4-door saloons.

If only GM offered to buy back the tooling of the Buick V6 from AMC much earlier in 1970 instead of 1974.

As for the 215 Buick / Rover V8 it is said Rover bought the rights to build it along with all of the tooling (though some claim Rover merely acquired a manufacturing license and tooling rather than sole rights), with GM latter attempting to buy back the rights / tooling of the Rover V8 from BL during the 1970s. Perhaps GM should have come to a deal with Rover allowing them to build a variant of the 215 Buick V8 that is different enough in a similar manner to the 215 Oldsmobile V8 or develop a version of the 215 Buick V8 derived from the 300 Buick V8 that featured an iron-block engine of very similar architecture.

Last edited:
AFAIK it appears Opel had little to no desire in developing its own V8 engine project above the CiH 6-cylinder, so would likely either continue using the Chevrolet Small Block V8 or later share the Vauxhall Slant-Four derived Vauxhall V8 as its own in the same way the smaller Vauxhall Viva engines were directly related or essentially the same as the Opel OHV engines.

Not sure what you mean on Opel moving downmarket as they planned to develop the Kadett A from the outset as part of a $250 million expansion plan by GM for Opel in 1960 and ended up being the first model to be jointly developed with Vauxhall. Opel apparently had their own 1960s FWD project though little seems to be available, both they and Vauxhall adopted the 3-door Kadett "City" and Chevette hatchbacks as early challengers to the supermini class prior to the Vauxhall Nova / Opel Corsa A (though Vauxhall looked at their own FWD supermini project called the Vauxhall Scamp). - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-ha---viva

One question that comes to mind is how to butterfly away the Vega in place of another platform above the T-car yet below the V platform. GM Europe had the U-Car that formed the basis for the Opel Ascona B and mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier, yet unlike the Vega it is doubtful whether a V8 could have been able to fit without ruining the balance of the U-Car platform short of the V8 being all-alloy. A 6-cylinder should be little issue though if the Opel Manta B is anything to go by. - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-u-car---cavalier-mk1

Vauxhall had plans to develop their own equivalent of the Opel GT called the Vauxhall GT aka XP-867 though it never reached production. - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-xp-867-concept

I would imagine that moving forward Opel needs a V8 to provide the sort of performance increasingly desired in Europe in general and Germany in particular, aside from the likes of France who are pushing for lower displacement, a V8 strikes me as a strong option that is necessary in the offerings. Here is where GM might have shifted the aluminum Buick 215 to be refined and slotted as a performance motor, rather than shunting it to Rover.

I am spanning the history to date, it appears to me that over time Opel has abandoned the move towards bigger cars and opted small, look at how VW has increased size and even luxury as Germany has gotten wealthier since the 1950s. Today Opel seems to be a small/economy car maker without a place in the middle to upper reaches. Here I suggest it hold that middle better and stretch into the upper rungs. It appears that Opel was building cars equivalent to the Chevy II in size, not as "small" in Europe, but GM might have leveraged that back into the domestic line for either luxury or performance or both? My thought is that GM still makes a Chevy II with less sophisticated suspension and can use more cubic inches to get power but Opel can provide better solutions as the optionally equipped/"European" quality trim packages. Chevrolet might get more backdoor performance and even styling on its otherwise "base" make position in GM.

This might allow GM to better cross polinate and give a model like Vega access to components not "needed" for US models but certainly worth it in better equipped versions, but I do like that U-car material. This ios exactly what I was thinking Europe could be for GM, a source of "different" in the economy segment domestically, this could have been the Cavalier in America, perhaps water down the underpinnings since we rarely go more than 70 mph and such but it stands out versus the usual "cheap" car. Here GM lets Europe develop the small and compact models as it focuses on mid- and large models, with bleed over in between. At bottom a more integrated GM?

I would imagine that moving forward Opel needs a V8 to provide the sort of performance increasingly desired in Europe in general and Germany in particular, aside from the likes of France who are pushing for lower displacement, a V8 strikes me as a strong option that is necessary in the offerings. Here is where GM might have shifted the aluminum Buick 215 to be refined and slotted as a performance motor, rather than shunting it to Rover.

I am spanning the history to date, it appears to me that over time Opel has abandoned the move towards bigger cars and opted small, look at how VW has increased size and even luxury as Germany has gotten wealthier since the 1950s. Today Opel seems to be a small/economy car maker without a place in the middle to upper reaches. Here I suggest it hold that middle better and stretch into the upper rungs. It appears that Opel was building cars equivalent to the Chevy II in size, not as "small" in Europe, but GM might have leveraged that back into the domestic line for either luxury or performance or both? My thought is that GM still makes a Chevy II with less sophisticated suspension and can use more cubic inches to get power but Opel can provide better solutions as the optionally equipped/"European" quality trim packages. Chevrolet might get more backdoor performance and even styling on its otherwise "base" make position in GM.

This might allow GM to better cross polinate and give a model like Vega access to components not "needed" for US models but certainly worth it in better equipped versions, but I do like that U-car material. This ios exactly what I was thinking Europe could be for GM, a source of "different" in the economy segment domestically, this could have been the Cavalier in America, perhaps water down the underpinnings since we rarely go more than 70 mph and such but it stands out versus the usual "cheap" car. Here GM lets Europe develop the small and compact models as it focuses on mid- and large models, with bleed over in between. At bottom a more integrated GM?

Opel were making use of the Chevrolet Small Block V8 though it seems no one within the GM division nor other carmaker other then Rover was interested in the 215 Buick V8 in the OTL. The Chevrolet Small Block V8's displacement and American origins would have not made it popular in Europe, whereas the 3.2-4.8-litre Vauxhall V8 could have easily been adapted into an Opel V8 (capable if necessary of further enlargement to 5.0-5.2-litres and potentially displacements below 3.2-litres) and was designed to spawn dieselized V8 variants.

Perhaps one way of moving Opel upmarket would be a successful Opel Diplomat A/B whose replacement used either an updated version of the platform instead of an enlarged version of the V platform with the Opel Senator. Styling though is another matter as North America, UK, Germany and Europe all had different tastes in styling with a compromised please everyone approach putting potential consumers off as was the case with using Transatlantic styling language in Europe, which is why the various GM divisions should be able to differentiate their common platforms with their own localized style.

The best approach for GM would be to reduce the number of global basic platforms for passenger cars from the 1960s onwards down to around 3-4 via an earlier VOH/TASC, beginning with the T-Car (or Viva HA/Kadett A-based model later replaced by former) and some integrated H/U-Car platform (allowing for a 4-door Vega) up to the V and Diplomat platforms. The T-Car and H/U-Car would have likely been replaced by the FWD T-Car and J-Car platforms as the trend towards FWD is difficult to ignore with the smaller GM4200 platform or a version of the Vauxhall Scamp prototype slotting below, the RWD V and Diplomat platforms though could potentially have a long production life with the former spawning a RWD Cadillac Cimarron (instead of the OTL J-Car based model).

61.theopelkadett2doorcoupeproposalintheviewingauditorium.d-s712gmarchive.jpg

65.thefinished4doorkadettproposalontheviewingterrace.d-s722gmarchive.jpg

Looking at these, I can't help think GM blew a great opportunity. These could easily have filled the Vega/Astre niche, & could well have been offered the way the X-bodies were, with Buick & Olds versions, too. If they could be built cheaply enough, could a SB V8 model have been offered? Something maybe with styling akin to the Mustang II, & with actual high performance?

Maybe something like this?
28959-5_1.jpg

(Tho it really wants 240Z-style headlight buckets.)

And they might well have replaced both the Vega & Chevtte (& clones), since they would be on the same platform. (Start with FWD, better still.)

As for the OP, I can't picture even big (in Germany) Opel being big enough in the U.S. to supplant much beyond the Nova, if that, never mind the A-bodies.

Last edited:
Looking at these, I can't help think GM blew a great opportunity. These could easily have filled the Vega/Astre niche, & could well have been offered the way the X-bodies were, with Buick & Olds versions, too. If they could be built cheaply enough, could a SB V8 model have been offered? Something maybe with styling akin to the Mustang II, & with actual high performance?

And they might well have replaced both the Vega & Chevtte (& clones), since they would be on the same platform. (Start with FWD, better still.)

As for the OP, I can't picture even big (in Germany) Opel being big enough in the U.S. to supplant much beyond the Nova, if that, never mind the A-bodies.

Indeed I think these could have been an earlier start to globalizing GM and its platforms. I think the theory is that Opel either becomes a niche import brand for GM offering models in sub-, compact and maybe mid-size with emphasis on handling, improved luxury and performance versus the usual GM offerings, obviously at a higher price point, likely parallel to Pontiac-Oldsmobile-Buick. It might allow for more balanced shipping if domestic USA built can be sent into Europe with the more demanding brakes, suspension, etc. Or it might spread further development monies over both USA and Europe, benefitting GM in exports to Asia, Africa and South America where European styling, features and sizes fit better? In a world with a surviving Sterling zone the Vauxhall plant or ability to access Commonwealth/Empire markets from Germany might be advantageous. Indeed having more skill in building RHD versions of GM models might be a bigger part of the global impact too. I think this thread gives some interesting ideas for anyone populating the roads of various alternative 1960s. Think if Tatra or Adler or DKW had built the only "cheap" cars in Germany akin to the Beetle, no VW, no export success for VW to Germany's balance of trade, instead it is more German built Opel badged or even other badged models like the Chevette. Could link the USA and Germany decades earlier in ways we see the USA and Japanese automakers. Maybe this puts GM into a more dominant place in Japan where there is no war and no post-war rebuilding, closing of the market and stagnation of domestic makers. Here GM exports the sub-compacts and compacts to Japan, either Vauxhall or Opel built or even West Coast USA built, a reversal of fortunes? I like these very technical and niche changes to something that is not as sexy as a fighter or tank or battleship but can spur some fascinating roads to take.

It is possible a Chevrolet Small Block V8 model could have been offered though a V8 model only appeared in the early-1970s with the Holden Torana that featured its own V8 engine, however based on Chevette conversions using the Chevrolet Small Block V8 it seems it would not be without a number of issues (perhaps the Holden V8 is smaller / lighter in comparison or the Torana was simply designed around the Holden V8 as well as the Holden Straight-6 from the outset).

At best could probably envision an early North American built Kadett A / Viva HA / Torana from the 1960s-1970s initially being powered by large 4-cylinders (e.g. Chevrolet 153, Pontiac inline-4, Chevrolet 2300 / Cosworth Vega, etc) as well as 6-cylinder engines (e.g. Buick V6, possibly 3rd gen Chevrolet Sraight-6 and Pontiac OHC-6 - albeit based on the Straight-6 powered Torana, GM 90-degree V6, GM 60-degree V6, etc).

A remote possibility is GM collaborating with and striking a deal with Rover / BL to produce the 215 Oldsmobile V8 (unlikely given they considered the engine obsolete and were surprised when Rover expressed interest in the engine) or independently developing another similar V8 using the 300 Buick V8 as a basis.

It is possible a Chevrolet Small Block V8 model could have been offered
That'd be good.:cool:

Better still if GM hadn't sold off the 215. By the '70s, it's conceivable GM would have figured out how to stretch it, much the same as Rover did, so there'd be a 305 version in the *Vegadette by 1972-3, just in time for the oil crisis.:cool: (Maybe even an improved Turbofire?:cool:)

That'd be good.:cool:

Better still if GM hadn't sold off the 215. By the '70s, it's conceivable GM would have figured out how to stretch it, much the same as Rover did, so there'd be a 305 version in the *Vegadette by 1972-3, just in time for the oil crisis.:cool: (Maybe even an improved Turbofire?:cool:)

GM would be best using the 215 Oldsmobile V8 as was used by Repco in OTL since it is different enough from the 215 Buick V8 used by Rover to serve as a basis for GM's plans, though it depends how far they are willing to go.

GM could possibly develop a 90-degree V6 from it after buying back tooling of the Buick V6 from AMC or develop a slant-4 from 4-litre+ versions of the 215 Oldsmobile V8 in the event they rationalized platforms down to 3-4 rather than engines, however they might follow a similar path to Rover in OTL who considered developing a 2.8-litre V8 via Project Redcap (possibly displacing around 2771cc via a bore of 78.7mm / 3.1 inches) in place of the 90-degree V6.

Not sure whether GM would be willing to develop dieselized versions of the 215 Oldsmobile V8 like BL did with the 215 Buick / Rover V8 via Project Iceberg together with Perkins (100 hp NA diesel / 125-150 hp turbodiesel), though given what GM did with the larger Oldsmobile V8 diesel (and related V6 diesel plus stillborn V5) it seems they would need help with someone like Isuzu to not screw it up and fit the diesels with turbochargers from the beginning.

As for a properly developed turbocharged petrol variant, perhaps it is possible alongside the development of the Pontiac V8 Turbo and Buick V6 Turbo though wonder how the 215 Oldsmobile V8 would have taken to being fitted with a supercharger as on the related Buick V6.

Last edited: