Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a New England version of Hollywood? What are some popular New England movies? And does NECN produce any shows beyond the news and such? What about tv imports?

If I had to guess, those David E. Kelley Boston shows (The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal) would be native New England productions ITTL.

Ronald Reagan was a famous movie actor who was active during the 1930s and the 1950s. He was known for his outspoken, aggressive, defence of Hollywood against political attacks by both Social Labor and National politicians, who accused actors of harbouring feelings of Communism and Fascism. Reagan, himself a strong supporter of Social Labor, denounced both political parties and became one of the most famous trade union leaders in the United States, using his position as President of the Screen Actors Guild to tour the country defending Hollywood and actors everywhere. His acting career faded during the late 1950s and the early 1960s, where he went into sports commentating, a long-held passion of his. While he is still known in Hollywood as the defender of Actors' rights, he is better know among the American population as the "Voice of Los Angeles," as he worked with ABC and NBC to provide play-by-play commentary and live analysis for games held in the Los Angeles area, notably the Los Angeles Rams and the Los Angeles Kings. He retired from sports commentating at the age of 87 in 1998, and he lived in his Los Angeles home until his death in 2004.

Uh... tf is going on? Social Labor?

Is there a New England version of Hollywood? What are some popular New England movies? And does NECN produce any shows beyond the news and such? What about tv imports?

If I had to guess, those David E. Kelley Boston shows (The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal) would be native New England productions ITTL.

This is correct, they are New England productions. As for a New England version of Hollywood, "Kinda." Brooklyn and Centre County, Long Island are known for producing movies and television shows, although they have a symbiotic relationship with the New York City movie scene. Given the stipulation for "New England content" in both film and television, New England movies will mostly be shot in Long Island, Connecticut, or Adirondack (There is a Brooklyn-Albany Ferry that runs daily, which film crews will use to travel north to Albany and back south to Brooklyn - and you think you had a terrible commute!).

NECN is sort of an "all around" channel. Think of the BBC, except with less soap operas, comedy shows, ect. They do news, documentaries, they run foreign-imported television shows, but also have a few serials that are funded by taxpayers (NECN, despite its origins as 'Cable News' was nationalised in 1993). As for popular movies, much to the chagrin of many arts fans in New England, the most popular movies are from the United States or Britain.

While not related per say, the current Lieutenant Governor of New Hampshire, Kenneth Burns, was a highly accomplished historian and documentary maker. His most notable series being "New England," which detailed the history of the Commonwealth from the First Nations inhabitants to 1990, when it was released. While one may believe it to be boring, it also acts as a wider history of the British Empire, giving New Englander's a true sense of their place in the world, by detailing such things as Admiral Perry's daring assault on Sevastopol to break the Russian resistance, Clara Barton's tireless work caring for wounded British soldiers during the Maori wars, Admiral George Dewey's ascension from the New England Navy to the commander of the entire British South Atlantic Fleet, General Charles Doyen's daring Semois Offensive during The Great War, as well as many more.

Why did all of the Oregon Territory go to the British Empire/Canada ITTL?

The United States never contested it. They were more focused on land for slavery (i/e warm), so expansionism was to the south (see all the OTL Mexican territory the US captured), instead of seriously contesting Columbia, the pro-South, pro-Slavery government was having none of this "free land" nonsense, so really liked the idea of places where slaves could work, not the dingy, foggy, northwest which only had some beavers.

@Kanan How has New England done in the Olympics?

It's done modestly well. It's no powerhouse, and it will field a fair number of athletes per sport (both winter and summer), but New England is much better in the Winter Olympics. During the Summer New England will occasionally break into the top 10 for medal count, but during the winter Olympics they always place within the top 5, their main rivals being Norway, Canada, and Germany.

Can we see some of New Zealand and the Pacific Islands? This is a bloody amazing TL btw

I'll do New Zealand next!

I had an article for this, but I fell asleep last night before I could finish it :'(

The Boston Globe is running a poll for their readers to see who they want to win today's leadership election.

Deleted member 92121

If I may make a request: A news updtate talking about something happening in Brazil would make my day. We know it's still a Empire and Bolsonaro is President of the Chamber of Ministers(may God have mercy on all brazilians), the equivalent to PM.
Maybe a political scandal, a state visit, something about the monarch, political parties, anything really.

Ps: Glad to offer info on Brazilian politics if you wish.

VT45

Banned
That brings up another question. What’s cross-border travel like? Would I need a visa to visit the US or Quebec or Canada? What about New Englanders commuting to New York?

ESWTryF.gif

Never was much of a fan of Regan. IOTL he's an overrated Speaker of the House at best, and one who's content with the current status of the HoC at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.