The M-BAM Main Thread

What language do they speak? English and Tswana or something like that AFAIK? So why not try to contact such a government for once?

An English language request would probably be appropriate.

I'd suggest the High Commission in London would be better than the Government directly however.

Or possibly the Botswanan Embassy in Berlin.

These are the sub-districrs according to Wikipedia BTW

View attachment 375697

The map is not entirely correct. Charles Hill, located in Ghanzi District, is administered separately from the rest of the district. To quote Wikipedia,

"Charles Hill is the seat of the Charles Hill sub-District, established separately from Ghanzi District administratively in 2004. Although the limits of the sub-district have as yet to be clearly defined it generally is bordered to the north by the Trans-Kalahari Highway, the west by Namibia, to the east by Botswana Highway A2 and to the south by Kgalagadi District."

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hill,_Botswana

Last edited:
So as all of you have heard I am working on a book about the Cold War. I am using the M bam for map illustrations. Mostly I am showing the regions of the world on a year to year basis. Right now I am almost done with 1945 Europe. But I need the maps for the other regions (East/Southeast Asia/Oceania,Africa, North America, South America, Middle East/Central Asia/South Asia)
1945 europe m bam.png

So as all of you have heard I am working on a book about the Cold War. I am using the M bam for map illustrations. Mostly I am showing the regions of the world on a year to year basis. Right now I am almost done with 1945 Europe. But I need the maps for the other regions (East/Southeast Asia/Oceania,Africa, North America, South America, Middle East/Central Asia/South Asia)View attachment 376129
A couple of things. In 1945, Austria and Germany were occupied, while Hungary, Romania, etc. where satellites. You might want to distinguish them.
I now know you're working on a book about the Cold War :)
Here are the Americas for you. I tried Africa and the Atlantic too, but they're too big :p
North America.png
..........South America.png

So this map shows Europe by the end of 1945. The light red distinguishes the U.S.S.R. occupied areas of Europe. The reason Czechoslovakia is not red is because the Soviets left by December 1945 and the communists have not taken over fully yet. Also thanks for the America maps

So as all of you have heard I am working on a book about the Cold War. I am using the M bam for map illustrations. Mostly I am showing the regions of the world on a year to year basis. Right now I am almost done with 1945 Europe. But I need the maps for the other regions (East/Southeast Asia/Oceania,Africa, North America, South America, Middle East/Central Asia/South Asia)View attachment 376129

Immediately following the Second World War the Dodecanese were under British military occupation and not transferred to Greece by Italy until 15th September 1947. Bornholm stayed under Soviet occupation until 5th April 1946. You've given Llivia its independence from Spain.

Interesting, but a few things:

1. Firstly, when in 1945 is it? Because things changed quite a bit throughout 1945. I'm assuming it's around July/August 1945.

2. Poland was not occupied in 1945. I know it's not the popular thing to say, but it wasn't. Soviet armies were in Poland, but Poland was by then a puppet and still a member of the Allies (unless it's after August/September 1945 when the war was over at which point it was just a puppet since the war was over). This matters because while the Soviet Union exerted massive control over Poland, it was not in the same way as it did over the occupied territories and countries of eastern Germany, eastern Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria (the last three were occupied as defeated powers and were formally governed through Allied Control Commissions or Allied Commissions which in their case was completely dominated by the Soviet Union with minor input from the other allies in a nearly exact mirror of how Japan was governed by the United States after the war - the chairmen of the control commissions was in most cases in 1945 the same Soviet general that lead the armies that conquered those countries). Poland on the other hand, not only had no formal government structure that the USSR was involved in, but actually provisionally administered parts of the official Soviet zone in Germany pending formal transfer by a peace treaty (though those areas were to be later annexed towards the end of December 1945). It was only in 1947 when the Allied occupations of Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria ended that those 3 and Poland should be shown as being the same.

3. The zonal boundaries in Germany contain errors. You've used the modern borders of Hamburg as the zonal boundaries in 1945, but the Americans had occupied a much wider and contiguous area around Hamburg. I did research on the zonal borders in Germany and Austria (starting from proposals in 1943, through to the formally agreed boundaries and de facto boundaries between 1944 and 1952) back in 2014. You can check out the latter link for not just the zonal boundaries but specific sectoral boundaries by the Canadians, Poles, Danes, Norwegians, Belgians and Luxembourg for given years.

4. The Netherlands, Denmark and Norway were in whole or in part still occupied by Allied forces in 1945. This seems to have been pending the return (or extension) of civil government. It was all a bit messy. The Soviets occupied northern Norway (Kirkenes and other parts of Finnmark) in 1944 and would hand over control by April 1945 but fully demobilized from the area in September 1945. The rest of Norway saw the British peacefully occupy the area (along with Norwegian contingents under their command) following the German surrender in order to effect the German surrender and prepare for the full restoration of the Norwegian government. But it was the British in basically nearly full control from May 1945 through to June 1945 with the full end to Allied structures ending in October 1945. Denmark saw something similar with the main part of the country occupied by British forces to effect the liberation and the German surrender from basically May 1945 until August 1945. The Faroe Islands were transferred to Danish control following the end of the war (no need to remain there as there were no German troops and a local government already in existence and with the end of the war, no possibility of Germany occupying the islands), but Bornholm had been taken by Soviet forces and was not transferred to Danish control until April 1946. The Netherlands saw the Canadians, British and Americans arriving during the war with liberated areas falling under Allied occupation until civil control could be established. At the end of the war the Dutch government in exile had control vested in an Allied Military Authority until the government in exile could return and reestablish itself. This authority was headed by a Dutchman but effected through the Canadian/British troops then in the country. The military authority wasn't ended until March 1946.

5. In Italy the provinces of Udine and Venezia Giulia (what is now Gorizia and Trieste provinces which were attached to the the Friuli region after the war to form Friuli-Venezia Giulia when the majority of Venezia Giulia was annexed by Yugoslavia) remained occupied by the Allies (mainly the British but also some Americans I believe) after December 31, 1945. I'm not sure if all of Udine province was occupied or just the section noted as being coloured as "Zone A" in this map (which would have been the majority of the province anyway).

6. Flevoland and the Afsluitdijk didn't exist yet in 1945.

Here's a patch with most of the suggested fixes (Flevoland, Afsluitdijk, Italy, Poland, zonal boundaries). The other suggestions I couldn't map since I'm not sure when in 1945 the maps is supposed to be. Also note that the Saar protectorate was not split off from the French zone until 1946 (that's in the patch as well). The colour scheme you can revert to the one you were previously using of course.:

MBAM 1945 germany netherlands italy poland patch.png

Mistakes in M-Bam Russia:
1. There is no Matochkin Strait between the Islands Severny and Yushny in a Novaya Zemlya
2. Karachay-Cherkessia (ALL WRONG)
3. Kabardino-Balkaria (All the same)
4. Border between North Ossetia and Ingushetia
5. Borders between Chechnya and Ingushetia shouldn't be in connection with the law "On formation of the Ingush Republic as a part of the Russian Federation" of June 4, 1992
6. Border between Chechnya and Dagestan
7. Penza oblast (F*cked up)
8. Border between Bryansk oblast and Ukraine
9. Too little lakes all over Russia
10. ASSR of Volga Germans in 2k18? Seriously?
On this, like, all And pardon for my English, I know only Russian language, alas.
6fXdHvFIy34.jpg