Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - using items reminiscent of the Austro-Hungarian flag also wouldn't work theoretically for a communist regime, but admittedly the map/flags and scenario are more "semi-plausible rule of cool" material than anything else. I think the red/white/black combination being not welcome has to do more with the Nazi flag's use of the colors rather than the original German Imperial flag - again, which was little more than a combination of the Hanseatic and Prussian colors.

To some degree, yes, but also because the black-red-gold has a long history associated with German liberalism including the 1848 Revolutions.

I'm trying to think of a post-PRC flag for China. The yellow stars orbiting the star of the Communist Party is problematic, but I'm not sure of a good way to get rid of it - a single white star is underwhelming.

VpbyvdB.png
I think maybe make the red flag the same shade as the red stripe, make the big star multi-colored (gold on the outer edge-red at inner core, order of the others at your own preference), then make each of the little stars one (non-red) color each (again order in your preference), keep the stripes on the end.

I think maybe make the red flag the same shade as the red stripe, make the big star multi-colored (gold on the outer edge-red at inner core, order of the others at your own preference), then make each of the little stars one (non-red) color each (again order in your preference), keep the stripes on the end.

It seems to be the same color on my screen - I'll fix

I'm trying to think of a post-PRC flag for China. The yellow stars orbiting the star of the Communist Party is problematic, but I'm not sure of a good way to get rid of it - a single white star is underwhelming.
A lot depends how it went post PRC.
The simple 5 stripes of the early republic seem primely placed for reuse in my opinion.

Centering the cluster of stars with the middle stripe would look better, imo. Overall nice design and colors.
I initially had done it that way for a reason, although right now I can't remember for the life of me. I'll make the change and see how it turns out

I agree with this and maybe make the red stripe a bit bigger.
I don't think I'm going to do this one however, all the colors have an equal area.

Two proposed flags for the Federal Republic of China
Pretty sure I saw these on r/vexillology a couple days ago. Did you post there as well?

Pretty sure I saw these on r/vexillology a couple days ago. Did you post there as well?

That flag did inspire me, but it had the four other colors of the five-stripe flag on diagonals, which frankly kind of looked like a tiny, Chinese-affiliated Pacific Island rather than China (in my mind). I didn’t like it very much - I wanted alternatives, of which I made a few

Last edited:
l0xmyq9.png

Here's my latest idea. Very simple, using traditional colors. Two rivers represented in yellow. Also can be used as kind of a historical progression representation of the one China: the old yellow (the Empire), red (Communist), the new yellow (the democratic China). I think this is a lot more appealing tbh

Alright. Finally had some time to get around to making those changes to the CoGC flag I posted earlier.

GCOa.png

And, additionally, I'd had the idea for this one bouncing around inside my head for a couple months, but had nearly forgotten about it until I saw those China flags here and on r/vexillology. So here is my take on the Republic of China flag.

RoC.png

All these Alt. Republic of China flags has reminded me that I never posted mine here. The setup is that the PRC never came into existence, but a new more reformed Nationalist government adopted this flag.
(I also didn't realize how jaggy the edges of the sun and circle were until just now...I'll have to clean those up later.)
Flag of the Republic of China (WIP).png

A very simple flag design for a recent map of mine which you can see here in the Map Thread.

flag_of_guyane_cayenne_by_federalrepublic-dc5okss.png

The design itself is based on the old colonial ensign of French Guiana, though stripped of its more complex imagery, with four golden stars added. Those four stars stand for the four arrondissements of Guyane-Cayenne.

Here's an idea I had for some form of nationalist or isolationist France:

free_france.png

The hexagon reperesents Metropolitan France, which is sometimes called "l'Hexagone" because of its shape, so it's basically stressing the importance of mainland France over everything else.

Heres my timeline flag of South Africa
Flag of the Union of South Africa.png

The base flag is a variant flag of the Netherlands. The flag on the left is the unofficial flag of the Cape Colony a British region in the empire encompassing a former colony. The flag on the right is the flag of the Netherlands representing the Dutch community. The flag in the centre is the flag of the South African black communities that mimics the Peace symbol.

View attachment 375880
The base flag is a variant flag of the Netherlands. The flag on the left is the unofficial flag of the Cape Colony a British region in the empire encompassing a former colony. The flag on the right is the flag of the Netherlands representing the Dutch community. The flag in the centre is the flag of the South African black communities that mimics the Peace symbol.

Shouldn't the center be an ANC flag instead? The current South African flag is designed such that it interspaces a 'Y' in pan-African colours (used by the ANC) with the Dutch flag (representing the Afrikaners).

View attachment 375880
If it's supposed to be mimicking a peace symbol....I think it's upside-down.

Shouldn't the center be an ANC flag instead? The current South African flag is designed such that it interspaces a 'Y' in pan-African colours (used by the ANC) with the Dutch flag (representing the Afrikaners).
Although that may make more sense in hindsight in this timeline the flag would then be representing the Afrikaans speaking community of Black South Africa as well as the Pan African Colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.