A Glorious Union or America: the New Sparta

That part gave me a bit of a laugh actually.

I'm happy to see how things have turned out for Hancock! And I'm very amused by the contrast between the dress styles of the British and Americans!

campabyssiniaimages49.jpg
hh1k2.jpg

Yes the British do maintain standards rather better...

I like how the Yanks are taking credit for the approach the British adopted anyway in OTL. An interesting take on alternate history - the same stuff happens but different people claim or get the credit.

"...The cavalry I was to have was also a mixed command, with regiments parceled out in handfuls around the nation, no one regiment could be quickly mustered for service. I was to have one company of the 1st, two of the 7th under the able Major Merritt, and one of the 13th under Captain O.W. Gambell. E Company of the 13th was to prove something of a novelty to our English comrades and a terror to their sepoys. The Delaware, Shawnee and Choctaws would revel in their celebrity...”

This is ideal alternate history. You may not like it, but this is what peak irony looks like. :p

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is Custer's post-Abyssinia career (since it seems he survives until at least 1885). A pity we'll never get to see what President Custer looks like, since I'm morbidly curious about it, but I'm sure that he'll find new and exciting ways to get himself into trouble down the road. Speaking of him, though, I notice that a reference to insurance was snuck in there. Unless I'm mistaken, Kearny himself had made a big deal previously about the treatment soldiers returning from the war who'd suffered injuries were receiving. Makes me wonder if us Yanks could potentially beat the Germans to the punch ITTL for a national health care service. Servicemen only at first, of course...

It seems that since Napier is in charge in this TL as well that the Abyssinian campaign, while nightmarish logistically speaking, is going to be a wrap up for them. Even with the American contribution, I can't see it going much faster than OTL, but I suspect that the more important effect will be a U.S. that is much more outward looking going forward. Makes me wonder if we won't be seeing more Anglo-American condominiums ala Oregon in the future.

Last edited:
So we're learning the value of Butcher and Bolt? That aint gonna be good for the Spanish when we fight them.

That's the first time I've come across that phrase. I love it!

That part gave me a bit of a laugh actually.

I'm happy to see how things have turned out for Hancock! And I'm very amused by the contrast between the dress styles of the British and Americans!

Hancock has quite a role to play in TTL yet...

badge-png.371932

This is ideal alternate history. You may not like it, but this is what peak irony looks like. :p

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is Custer's post-Abyssinia career (since it seems he survives until at least 1885). A pity we'll never get to see what President Custer looks like, since I'm morbidly curious about it, but I'm sure that he'll find new and exciting ways to get himself into trouble down the road. Speaking of him, though, I notice that a reference to insurance was snuck in there. Unless I'm mistaken, Kearny himself had made a big deal previously about the treatment soldiers returning from the war who'd suffered injuries were receiving. Makes me wonder if us Yanks could potentially beat the Germans to the punch ITTL for a national health care service. Servicemen only at first, of course...

It seems that since Napier is in charge in this TL as well that the Abyssinian campaign, while nightmarish logistically speaking, is going to be a wrap up for them. Even with the American contribution, I can't see it going much faster than OTL, but I suspect that the more important effect will be a U.S. that is much more outward looking going forward. Makes me wonder if we won't be seeing more Anglo-American condominiums ala Oregon in the future.

Custer hasn't changed much from OTL as Abyssinia may yet prove...

Some potentially interesting foreshadowing of the next presidency and potential future co-operation between America and Britain. Let's hope nobody does anything stupid...

joseph-fry.jpg

I expect that at least one officer in the Sikh regiments will write a memoir of the expedition entitled "Our Indians and Theirs."

A not unrelated quote for the next chapter is already written down,

I do love the titles of some of these reminiscences...a person favourite from my own collection...

61XbtakA5SL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hancock has quite a role to play in TTL yet...

badge-png.371932

Custer hasn't changed much from OTL as Abyssinia may yet prove...

Some potentially interesting foreshadowing of the next presidency and potential future co-operation between America and Britain. Let's hope nobody does anything stupid...

joseph-fry.jpg

A not unrelated quote for the next chapter is already written down,

I do love the titles of some of these reminiscences...a person favourite from my own collection...

61XbtakA5SL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The foreshadowing! The foreshadowing!

I knew there as a war coming up somewhere in the 70s!!

That's the sort of operation that the British fought during the 19th century against the Africans. They would send a force of 10 to 20,000, and those heavily armed troops would then wipe out the opposition, then leave. The thing that characterized this was rapid arrival and departure, as well as the heavy firepower the assault forces were equipped with.

Perhaps in this time line, Americans will start using a term other than Indians for the Native Americans under their command earlier, to distinguish them from those actually from India. Would make things less confusing in joint military operations.

Perhaps in this time line, Americans will start using a term other than Indians for the Native Americans under their command earlier, to distinguish them from those actually from India. Would make things less confusing in joint military operations.
"Red Indians" versus "Brown Indians," as used by some OTL Europeans?

Good news - I’ve started writing again. I am waiting until I have the next three or four chapters written out before I post them so I’m sure the inspiration is back...hoping to finish the Abyssinian Campaign; the world update at the end of Lincoln’s Presidency; and the election of 1868... It does involve reading everything again to make sure I make good on all the foreshadowing!

Good news - I’ve started writing again. I am waiting until I have the next three or four chapters written out before I post them so I’m sure the inspiration is back...hoping to finish the Abyssinian Campaign; the world update at the end of Lincoln’s Presidency; and the election of 1868... It does involve reading everything again to make sure I make good on all the foreshadowing!

Huzzah!!!! For the Union!!!!!