The VT-BAM project

VT45

Banned
It’s all set. I’ll start working on it when I get home. I’m thinking we have a table of contents based on continent, with it then broken down by region and country. Then national regions in the case of really big countries like Russia, Canada, the US, etc.

Update: I have no idea if Hyderabad city is even really legible.

TN-VT.png

Thanks! I’ll take a look. :)

And @Kanan I have the overlays for the municipalities for all of North America and I can add them in for sure. I’m just working on the second level divisions right now and then I can go back and add those in. I can send you the overlays though if you want in the meantime.

I'd be interested in seeing the overlays.

VT45

Banned
The wiki page is live! I've added categories for all continents, UN geoscheme regions, and all countries over 250,000 square kilometers. Those of you with access to the wiki I'll ask to stop working on the BAM for now and compile the maps you've created so far and add them into the page. And for larger countries, feel free to add in categories for smaller subnational regions. Thanks for all your help!

The wiki page is live! I've added categories for all continents, UN geoscheme regions, and all countries over 250,000 square kilometers. Those of you with access to the wiki I'll ask to stop working on the BAM for now and compile the maps you've created so far and add them into the page. And for larger countries, feel free to add in categories for smaller subnational regions. Thanks for all your help!

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying you're done with the VT-BAM project?

VT45

Banned
No, just shifting priorities from creating maps for a minute to post what we have already on the wiki page so we don't have to go back through the 50+ pages of this thread in order to find something. Once I post my maps onto the wiki, it's back to updating. We still have a long way to go.

Redcoat

Banned
No, just shifting priorities from creating maps for a minute to post what we have already on the wiki page so we don't have to go back through the 50+ pages of this thread in order to find something. Once I post my maps onto the wiki, it's back to updating. We still have a long way to go.
Yay. I'll do some during lunch.

VT45

Banned
Nothing yet. I've been busy with other things recently, so I haven't been able to upload anything myself.

I'm curious. Are you stopping with the administrative divisions, or will you be adding in other lines, like roads, topographical boundaries or rivers?

I'm curious. Are you stopping with the administrative divisions, or will you be adding in other lines, like roads, topographical boundaries or rivers?
Roads and rivers require an appropriately detailed(but not too detailed) dataset, which is surprisingly difficult to find. I have tried several times for rivers and have not had much success. I imagine roads would be at least as difficult.
What sort of topographic boundaries are you asking about?

Don't know how to say it right, but the outlines that separate one color from another, like what you'd see in the basic maps thread, only whitewashed.

Contours, they would probably add a bit too much clutter to the map (at least for the base), what do you want them for? If it's for border drawing you'd probably want drainage basins more than contours. That said, someone with experience with image editing could probably generate some fairly quickly, the mountains would still be problematic though.
If you just want a way to represent height you can overlay the borders and lakes onto the topographical maps then recolor the topographical maps as needed(make sure to fill in the ocean in areas where the coastline has been changed).

Ld2A8TY.png

I have to quit with 109. Otherwise I'll become mad. Although I added like 60% of what is needed to finnish this. I am gonna finnish the picture to the left. The Stan part.

I'm not making any claims, but I have found a few that might help you guys in the future. Note that I am not 100% certain that any one of them have the four levels of administrative detail that the project requires.

1200px-Brazil_Municipalities.png
Brazil

600px-Mapa_de_Colombia_%28municipios%29.svg.png
Columbia

2000px-Mapa_de_Uruguay_%28subdivisiones%29.svg.png
Uruguay

400px-Peru_districts.png
Peru

1200px-Mapa_del_Ecuador_%28cantones%29.png
Ecuador

230px-Chile_provinces.png
Chile

political-simple-map-of-argentina.jpg
Argentina (Plus a better detailed portion of Chile)

South_Africa_municipalities_by_language_2001.png
South Africa

744px-Arusha-Region.svg.png
Arusha, Tanzania

524px-Dodoma-Region.svg.png
Dodoma, Tanzania

744px-Geita-Region.svg.png
Geita, Tanzania

524px-Kagera-Region.svg.png
Kagera, Tanzania

524px-Kigoma-Region.svg.png
Kigoma, Tanzania