Titans Collide: A Nintendo x Sega TL

Of course, the N^2 is kinda pushing it with an earlier variant of the 750FX, given it was only revealed OTL October 2001. So I'm not really expecting whether or not any GBA boosts are realistically feasible.
The Gekko FX is unveiled only five months early and is significantly downlocked. Plus, like your article states, the Sahara was getting sent to OEMs starting in November, given notice (changes started being planned in January with the Sega acquisition), a downclocked version for Nintendo with eleven months advanced notice is entirely feasible. The chips are in early production phases right now, which is why Japan launch got pushed back to November. The GBA will be different in a few ways, but its not just gonna be unrealistically buffed.

The GBA will be different in a few ways, but its not just gonna be unrealistically buffed.

I figured as much, I liked the graphical capabilities of the GBA they were more then good enough IMO. I just was always dissapointed with with the audio and lack of six buttons, especially when playing RPG's or fighting games.

I figured as much, I liked the graphical capabilities of the GBA they were more then good enough IMO. I just was always dissapointed with with the audio and lack of six buttons, especially when playing RPG's or fighting games.
The GBA issue...just release the SP from day one, a massive upgrade, the rest the console was perfect...maybe ask Yamaha a sound chip as we can not use the Sony based one like snes.

So the Squared is the Panasonic Q essentially? An interesting and bold move on Yamauchi's part to include DVD- and CD-playing capabilities for it though it makes me wonder if Nintendo would opt for HD DVD or bite the bullet and go with Blu Ray once the Wii equivalent rolls around. I do like the fact it's going with a silver color scheme as well.

The inclusion of an optional hard drive was perhaps the most standout thing of this post, I think. That effectively means that they're going toe to toe with Microsoft in this regard (aside from StarNet going against Xbox Live). A part of me wonders if there OTL problems still won't come back to bite them even with Sega's help (i.e., treating third parties/indies like crap up until recently, their obsessive need to control audio chat, etc.). The fact it is also essentially a Wii from a horsepower perspective is quite neat - but is it still using its own proprietary discs like OTL? That'll hurt them regardless of how much is under the hood for developers to play around with if it's true.

It also occurs to me that ITTL Smash Bros. is going to be incredibly crowded with all the Sega (and Rareware - huzzah!) characters tossed into the mix. Perhaps Nintendo might eventually opt to do some sort of crossover RPG with all their new properties ala Project X Zone by way of The Subspace Emissary?

Not six buttons, but it was revealed not too long ago that this was the prototype for the GBA back in the day (c. 1995, anyway, when it was known as Project Atlantis).

gba.atlantis.032509-580px.jpg

Probably a bit late to change things, but given the dramatic overhaul of the Nintendo Squared, you never know.

Was the Wii that much of a technical leap from the Gamecube? I'd always been led to believe that the two consoles used pretty much the same specs aside from the Wii's motion control stuff. But I do wonder if TTL's GBA will have internet capability. Seems like something they might have finagled, but maybe not. TTL's DS-equivalent will definitely have internet, I expect.

Was the Wii that much of a technical leap from the Gamecube? I'd always been led to believe that the two consoles used pretty much the same specs aside from the Wii's motion control stuff.

Not a tech guy by any means, but I've heard the Wii described as "two GameCubes duct taped together," for what it's worth. :p

I was more speaking from the perspective that the Squared will have a slight edge techwise over the Xbox ITTL (two machines are actually quite close, unless I'm mistaken, though the OTL Xbox edges out).

Not a tech guy by any means, but I've heard the Wii described as "two GameCubes duct taped together," for what it's worth.
That's not too far off. They used a bunch of the same hardware, they just upgraded some outdated components of it and added the motion and pointer controls.

So the Squared is the Panasonic Q essentially? An interesting and bold move on Yamauchi's part to include DVD- and CD-playing capabilities for it though it makes me wonder if Nintendo would opt for HD DVD or bite the bullet and go with Blu Ray once the Wii equivalent rolls around. I do like the fact it's going with a silver color scheme as well.

The inclusion of an optional hard drive was perhaps the most standout thing of this post, I think. That effectively means that they're going toe to toe with Microsoft in this regard (aside from StarNet going against Xbox Live). A part of me wonders if there OTL problems still won't come back to bite them even with Sega's help (i.e., treating third parties/indies like crap up until recently, their obsessive need to control audio chat, etc.). The fact it is also essentially a Wii from a horsepower perspective is quite neat - but is it still using its own proprietary discs like OTL? That'll hurt them regardless of how much is under the hood for developers to play around with if it's true.

It also occurs to me that ITTL Smash Bros. is going to be incredibly crowded with all the Sega (and Rareware - huzzah!) characters tossed into the mix. Perhaps Nintendo might eventually opt to do some sort of crossover RPG with all their new properties ala Project X Zone by way of The Subspace Emissary?

Not six buttons, but it was revealed not too long ago that this was the prototype for the GBA back in the day (c. 1995, anyway, when it was known as Project Atlantis).

gba.atlantis.032509-580px.jpg

Probably a bit late to change things, but given the dramatic overhaul of the Nintendo Squared, you never know.
The squared looks a lot like Panasonic Q but is more square shaped (for obvious reasons). Most of the changes made here are a result of "oh shit our long time biggest competitor fell to us, but now we are in danger of falling, lets not make those mistakes" so they looked at things like the DC-PS2 power gap, early launch, and took those as examples of what not to do, and then the online stuff was what they took as good examples from the DC.

They are definitely worried about the Xbox right now more than the PlayStation. If you look at the last generation, there are some eery similarities. A newcomer tech giant looking to sweep the vg industry (Microsoft//Sony) vs. winner of the last generation (Nintendo//Sony) vs third place (Sega//???). They don't want to be pushed into the Sega spot from last gen.

It will be using standard DVD-ROMs, since they saw the failure of the GD-Rom. Their hope is they can use the StarNet to catch potential pirates.

I could definitely see some big crossover games in the future.

Was the Wii that much of a technical leap from the Gamecube? I'd always been led to believe that the two consoles used pretty much the same specs aside from the Wii's motion control stuff. But I do wonder if TTL's GBA will have internet capability. Seems like something they might have finagled, but maybe not. TTL's DS-equivalent will definitely have internet, I expect.

Not a tech guy by any means, but I've heard the Wii described as "two GameCubes duct taped together," for what it's worth. :p

I was more speaking from the perspective that the Squared will have a slight edge techwise over the Xbox ITTL (two machines are actually quite close, unless I'm mistaken, though the OTL Xbox edges out).

That's not too far off. They used a bunch of the same hardware, they just upgraded some outdated components of it and added the motion and pointer controls.

The Wii was basically an overclocked gamecube with slightly newer chips. The Squared is slightly more powerful than the Wii, just with slightly less RAM. The Xbox edges them both out, but also with less ram.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1181334
https://www.edn.com/electronics-news/4023374/NeoMagic-is-back-with-SoC-for-handheld-IAs
http://www.ic72.com/pdf_file/n/261003.pdf
On the topic of upgrading the Gameboy Advance I would like to bring up Neomagic little known soc available back in fall of 2001.
This is the same Neomagic that gave multiple laptops in the late 90s including the legendary Toshiba libretto line including the 110ct their incredible performance in such a small package.
Other than that grate work on the time line, hope my suggesting helps add some validation on what you writing. :)

Very interesting TL. I was actually going to create a thread that would be revolving around a Sega-Nintendo Alliance in the 90s, but this kinda stopped me in my tracks. Also I think it would be hard to visualise (my idea).
Maybe I'll make it at some other point.
I think you should b/c it looks like this TL is dead

Very interesting TL. I was actually going to create a thread that would be revolving around a Sega-Nintendo Alliance in the 90s, but this kinda stopped me in my tracks. Also I think it would be hard to visualise (my idea).
Maybe I'll make it at some other point.
Interesting idea. What did you have on mind? Write it would be interesting to read it