Titans Collide: A Nintendo x Sega TL

Video Game timelines are meh to me, probably because I don't play as much as I use to. That being said, this certainly is a good one and pretty interesting ideas right off the bat. Will be watching for sure.

Well, Video game timelines are a part of cultural timelines and that could have fascinating effects across the landscape.

Feel like this is appropriate

mario-and-sonic.png

Well now I know why your Altendo timeline's seemingly gone by the way side... This idea seems great so far though, I look forward to reading more in the future. :)

Chapter Two - Space World (1 of 4)
Our latest update in this saga skips forwards a few months to one of the most memorable moments in gaming history, Nintendo Space World 2001. The public had been eager for updates on Nintendo’s situation since the January acquisition of Sega, which led to a delay in the release of the promising GameBoy Advance. Meanwhile, as the PlayStation 2 continued its widespread success, rumors swirled that Nintendo and Rare may be parting ways. Nintendo had spent a lot of money in the past year, and owed answers to its shareholders.

Therefore, Nintendo felt transparency might be the best path forward for this year. Shigeru Miyamoto pitch Hiroshi Yamauchi an expanded Space World. He envisioned a massive conference in America where Nintendo would show off the projects currently in development, announce the changes to the GameBoy, unveil the GameCube, and show off third party software. What Yamauchi liked the most, however, was the idea for a Q&A with important figures in the company. He figured this was the chance to regain shareholder and consumer confidence, and so plans began.

In mid-March, Nintendo announced they would not attend May’s E3 Conference, but instead would be hosting Nintendo Space World 2001 just two weeks after the conference, on May 26th and 27th. The first day would be open only to gaming press, and the second day open to the public. Hosted at Bayside Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts, this conference signaled Nintendo’s shift towards the American market, which had solely held up the Nintendo 64 in its later years.

Conference Itinerary
May 26th
Welcoming Remarks (8a-9a)
Connectivity: The Future of Nintendo (9a-10a)
Nintendo Squared (10a-12p)
GameBoy Advance (1p-2p)
Nintendo Software, Nintendo Handheld Spotlight (2p-3p)
Sega Software, Sega America (3p-4p)
Press Q&A (4p-5p)
Pokemon Spotlight (5p-6p)
Rare: Into the Future (6p-7p)
Future of the Arcade (7p-8p)

May 27th
Public Walkthrough (8a-11a)
Public Q&A (11a-12p)
Sonic Team & Subsidiaries (1p-3p)
HAL Laboratory & Partners (3p-5p)
Key Third Party titles (5p-7p)

In our next update, we will take a trip into the conference center and watch Space World unfold.

A great harbinger of things to come, Suzon. Very curious segment titles. Considering you've mentioned Sega employees are bringing valuable online infrastructure knowledge with them that certainly means Yamauchi's ideas for an online GameCube will come to fruition ITTL.

One question I do have is if the means that Nintendo will continue partnering with AT&T in North America for 'NintendoNet' (it could be called anything of course but I like the alliteration).

Aside from Rare, what's Silicon Knights up to at this point in time?

A great harbinger of things to come, Suzon. Very curious segment titles. Considering you've mentioned Sega employees are bringing valuable online infrastructure knowledge with them that certainly means Yamauchi's ideas for an online GameCube will come to fruition ITTL.

One question I do have is if the means that Nintendo will continue partnering with AT&T in North America for 'NintendoNet' (it could be called anything of course but I like the alliteration).

Aside from Rare, what's Silicon Knights up to at this point in time?
Same situation as OTL, four year exclusivity deal with Nintendo. They will be touched upon in one of the next two Space World chapters

EDIT: As for online service, wait for next update :)

EDIT: As for online service, wait for next update
First of all amazing update, pretty well done and packed and leave us waiting to see what Will unfold.

Well nintendo have now the people make seganet..that is vital know how for the Gamecube...

Chapter Three - Space World (2 of 4)
Welcoming Remarks
As the press trickled into the Bayside Convention Center in Dorchester, Massachusetts they were greeted by a stage seating a few Nintendo icons, and some newer faces at Nintendo, who were increasingly learning the ropes. The stage sat Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, legendary game designers Shigeru Miyamoto, Takashi Iizuka and Satoru Iwata, Nintendo of America president, Minoru Arakawa, and Nintendo treehouse translator Bill Trinen.

After the crowd had trickled in and settled down, Hiroshi Yamauchi (translated by Bill Trinen) opened, “Thank you for being here, last year was a crucial year in our company’s fruitful history. I cannot say in good faith that the Nintendo 64 was the success we hoped it to be, though ahead of its time in many ways. I will say, however, that our depth of exclusive, in house, and contracted games sets us apart from the competition in many ways. Developers like Rareware are the keystones of our business. In fact, while I have you all here, let me say this with one hundred percent certainty, Rare is not going anywhere. In fact, we are going forth with a full acquisition, and a deal with the Stampers is already in place.”

Hiroshi Yamauchi’s change of heart as of late was evident, and brought on by the failure of SEGA, and his company’s absorption of their rival. He did not want to go the way of SEGA, in fact, he’d rather die than let Nintendo fall in the hands of a rival. And so, he began one of the most memorable parts of the speech.

“The minds of SEGA have provided us with so much insight to developing both machines and games, and we’ve noticed some common critiques. ‘Nintendo doesn’t care about graphics’ they say. Ahh, but you’ll forget that the Nintendo 64 brought better graphics than both competitors, and that we pioneered graphical fidelity with great games like Donkey Kong Country. ‘Nintendo is a kid’s toy, not a mans machine’ they say, but they forget Goldeneye, Super Metroid, even Zelda, as well as the brand-new Conker. ‘Nintendo doesn’t have as many games’ they say. While there is some truth to this, we’ve consistently delivered some of the greatest games the industry has seen, year on year.

One studio that consistently has crossed our mind in these regards is Rareware, a company so ingrained in our culture, they ought to be a part of us. And so they will be! Obviously, we’ve also brought in the talented minds from SEGA who will help us produce a dearth of new releases for our next console. What did you think, Nintendo would have our own conference and not mention our new console? *chuckles* Of course, in just a little bit you are going to see more of both our brand-new console and our refined GameBoy. You’ll also see more of some games previously shown, and a whole bunch of new titles too. We also have some surprises in store for you. I’d like to let some of our most important people offer you some welcomes as well, now.”

Yamauchi handed the microphone to Miyamoto, “Welcome everybody! I’m excited to show you our newest games we have prepared for you.”

Next, Iizuka, “Hello, welcome to you all, I’m very excited to bring to you our games to our new home at Nintendo, thank you!”

Next, Iwata, “Hello, and welcome. We are very excited to show you the future.”
Lastly, Arakawa. “Welcome everybody! I’m so excited to show you everything we’ve been working on.”

The conference opened without a hitch, and everyone was antsy for the next part.

Connectivity: The Future of Nintendo

The next conference, Connectivity: The Future of Nintendo, was given by Nintendo of America president, Minoru Arakawa. Minoru opened up with a presentation on internet services offered in the past by both Nintendo and Sega. Next, the iconic Starman flashed on screen, and faded into text: StarNet coming soon.

“StarNet is our next adventure into internet connectivity. Launching with our next console later this year, it will cost $49.99 a year, or $4.99 a month if you prefer monthly. This service will allow you to have online connectivity with your friends, connect to your GameBoy Advance, and even download certain titles. In fact, we’ve decided our next console will come with a 56k modem built-in for online fun, but you’ll hear more about that later.”

More details were unveiled about StarNet: A new wireless technology would allow owners of their new console to connect to the GameBoy, a 20gb hard drive would be available for separate purchase allowing new updates to titles, as well as downloads of their favorite past games.

Owners of the Sega Dreamcast would receive a free year of StarNet, and buying Nintendo’s new console would also give adopters a free six month trial. Arakawa went on to explain internet gameplay, and interactions between the Gameboy and Nintendo’s new console.

The conference went well, with reactions all positive for the new StarNet.

Nintendo Squared

Hiroshi Yamauchi took the stage, on the screen behind him flashed images of past consoles, before the GameCube prototype, unveiled at Space World last August, popped onto the screen. It morphed from purple to silver, then faded out. Mario and Link flashed around the screen, and then it faded to black. A dolphin appeared on screen, swimming in an ocean before jumping in between what appeared to be an N and a 2, the dolphin formed the shape of a caret.

“This, is the Nintendo Squared (stylized N^2).” The crowd looked shocked at the elevation the design had taken since last year’s “purple lunchbox”. This machine looked like the future, with a sleek silver shell, blue LED lights, and what appeared to be a DVD player. The audience roared with applause. It looked like a whole new machine. *

“Last August, we previewed to you the Nintendo GameCube. Well, in the past few months, we’ve worked, with Sega engineers, to refine this next generation gaming experience. We present you the Nintendo Squared, the ultimate next generation machine. From cutting edge technology, to multimedia and internet support, we’ve given you the very best with this console.”

Press flyers were distributed with the details of the new Nintendo Squared:
• 737 MHz PowerPC “Gekko FX”**
• 243 MHz ATI “Flipper”***
• 32MB Main 1T-SRAM, 24MB Main DRAM, 4MB embedded video 1T-SRAM, 2MB Sound RAM
• 56k Modem, Broadband Ethernet port as well
• Wi-fi technology for connecting the GameBoy Advance
• Accepts DVD-ROM and CD-ROM
• WaveBird wireless controllers (up to 4)****

Yamauchi went on to explain, “While these changes are very nice, they unfortunately have increased our expected launch price. We will be launching the GameCube at ¥34,999; $299.99; £299.99, in line with competitors. We’ve decided to launch worldwide in November of this year. November 18 in Japan and North America, and November 23 in other regions.”

“We hope you enjoy this new console we’ve created for you. We’ll be showcasing some of its software later in the event.”

*The Nintendo Squared looks a lot like the Panasonic Q without the arches on top
**A custom version of the Gekko coming from the 750FX rather than the 750CXe
***Flipper with 50% higher clocks, much like the ATI Hollywood chip
****Nintendo decided to have one pack in WaveBird as the default controller.

See more of Space World come part three, as we dive into the refined GameBoy Advance, Nintendo’s software line up, and third party offerings, thanks!

Damn StarNet sounds great, and Nintendo Squared sounds a lot like the Wii spec-wise 5 years early albeit without the motion controls witch would Great in 2001.

Nintendo’s software line up
We Will see Sega new output here? I think early games Will be ports with surprise, Sega Will love GBA more as a second coming of génesis.

The squared looks si sleek and is an early Wii one still pretty good.

We Will see Sega new output here? I think early games Will be ports with surprise, Sega Will love GBA more as a second coming of génesis.

The squared looks si sleek and is an early Wii one still pretty good.
yes we will see Sega's output in this update!

Hmm I wonder what ttl's GBA will be like? The otl GBA had three big weakness's it's unlit 240x160 res screen, it's audio witch was weaker the SNES and Mega Drive and the fact it only had 4 buttons aside from start and select. Fix those three flaws and the ttl GBA would much better then it's otl counterpart imo.

Hmm I wonder what ttl's GBA will be like? The otl GBA had three big weakness's it's unlit 240x160 res screen, it's audio witch was weaker the SNES and Mega Drive and the fact it only had 4 buttons aside from start and select. Fix those three flaws and the ttl GBA would much better then it's otl counterpart imo.

The question is, can they do it without compromising on battery life?

Of course, the N^2 is kinda pushing it with an earlier variant of the 750FX, given it was only revealed OTL October 2001. So I'm not really expecting whether or not any GBA boosts are realistically feasible.