Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Pieman

Banned
BTW, I think that Homo Sapiens should be the only intelligent species on this planet, to keep it a bit more "normal" and also because every single collaborative world thread has elves or Neanderthals and it is a bit boring.
Also, we aren't called Earthans, so the humans on Tellurus wouldn't be called Tellurusians.

BTW, I think that Homo Sapiens should be the only intelligent species on this planet, to keep it a bit more "normal" and also because every single collaborative world thread has elves or Neanderthals and it is a bit boring.
Also, we aren't called Earthans, so the humans on Tellurus wouldn't be called Tellurusians.
Why dont we add lizardmem, hornedmen or even fish people instead of the more recognisable fantasy races?

I'd recommend some flitterasks (wyverns and similar flying reptiles), expand the birds so it includes other feathered dinosaurs, and generally stretch convergent evolution as far as you can in all available groups ;).

I'd recommend some flitterasks (wyverns and similar flying reptiles), expand the birds so it includes other feathered dinosaurs, and generally stretch convergent evolution as far as you can in all available groups ;).

I've read up on some mythological creatures - what are your thoughts on Behemoths, Bunyips and Sasquatches/yeti's?

Bunyips vary too much to categorize

You sure? From what I've read the most common description of a Bunyip is that it resembles an otter or a seal...just with more teeth and claws. They wouldn't make good pets...

As for behemoths they appear as gargantuan pachyderms, woolly mammoths probably. From what I've read they appear to exist mostly within the northern regions of North America and Asia. Which leads me to believe that if they existed on Tellurus, then they'd be hanging out in the northern regions of Serratar and Talamor. That's just my theory.

Okay if anyone is worried about this thread, I got in contact with Frank and he's been busy with real life. So don’t worry, he hasn’t abandoned it.

I have a deep respect for what you are doing here, I worldbuild in my sparetime. Currently I am trying to piece together a High Fantasy concept, so its nice to see a much more realistic and scientific outlook to planet and lore creation.

It may be early, but I have some ideas for counterpart cultures on Tellurus based o the climate and topography of the region.

Avarda = Indian Subcontinent
Eastern Serratar = Europe
Western Serratar = Asia (east Asia mostly)
Sundic Archipelago = South East Asia, maybe some Melanesia
Aiganesia = Polynesia, Micronesia (obviously)
Equatoria = Full of Ancient Central and South American Cultures
Talamor = Native Americans?
Ozara = African Cultures
Capricorna = Australasia and maybe even Melanesia

Anyone else have thoughts on what counterpart cultures could develop in what regions of Tellurus? What do you think of my suggestions?

It may be early, but I have some ideas for counterpart cultures on Tellurus based o the climate and topography of the region.

Anyone else have thoughts on what counterpart cultures could develop in what regions of Tellurus? What do you think of my suggestions?

I don't think we should make counterpart cultures. Yes, I would definitely recommend looking at real world cultures for inspiration, but by copying them, we're depriving this world of its own unique ones. It makes me sad when I see fantasy settings that are basically alt-Europe, because the creators missed out on a perfect opportunity to create new architecture, languages, styles of clothing, etc.

Instead, the cultures in Tellerus could have aspects taken from a wide range of real-life cultures, of course taking climate and topography into account. For instance, imagine the mountains in Ozara having an African ethnicity, an Andean system of agriculture, a Celtic-esque language, Roman architecture, and a Persian art style. And, of course, there's always room for completely original ideas as well.

I don't think we should make counterpart cultures. Yes, I would definitely recommend looking at real world cultures for inspiration, but by copying them, we're depriving this world of its own unique ones. It makes me sad when I see fantasy settings that are basically alt-Europe, because the creators missed out on a perfect opportunity to create new architecture, languages, styles of clothing, etc.

Instead, the cultures in Tellerus could have aspects taken from a wide range of real-life cultures, of course taking climate and topography into account. For instance, imagine the mountains in Ozara having an African ethnicity, an Andean system of agriculture, a Celtic-esque language, Roman architecture, and a Persian art style. And, of course, there's always room for completely original ideas as well.

I didn't mean that we should have these cultures as the end goal. I actually had in mind that cultures would develop on this world different to anything here on Earth. I came up with the counterpart cultures to jumpstart the creativity, that was my intention. And as you have done, I’m all up for mixing up cultures. I thought that Aquilonia would have some Native American Vikings inhabiting it or ancient Egyptian style societies worshipping Australian aboriginal deities in the lands of Capricornia.

I always thought that Malag would have some sort advanced (by advanced I mean enlightenment era) African or Australasian-sequence society exploring the oceans. They could be a descent colonial power.