Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tellurus human spread.png
How does this look for spread of humans?

Isaac Beach

Banned
View attachment 362298 How does this look for spread of humans?

Looks great, but why is Malag uninhabited? Just because it's a WIP?
I'm no climatologist and this is rather pedantic, but I'm unsure Serica would be inhabited quite as early as you have it here simply because that is a big icecap to circumnavigate and so I don't see migrations occurring there until between 100'000 and 50'000 BC rather than between 200'000 and 100'000 BC. But again, that's very pedantic and otherwise it seems on point.

Looks great, but why is Malag uninhabited? Just because it's a WIP?
I'm no climatologist and this is rather pedantic, but I'm unsure Serica would be inhabited quite as early as you have it here simply because that is a big icecap to circumnavigate and so I don't see migrations occurring there until between 100'000 and 50'000 BC rather than between 200'000 and 100'000 BC. But again, that's very pedantic and otherwise it seems on point.
I figured Ozara was inhabited before boats got more advanced, so Malag was never discovered.
The deserts of south Serica were mostly savannah as were some deserts in the intergalcial, so humans spread to Serica easily.

Isaac Beach

Banned
I figured Ozara was inhabited before boats got more advanced, so Malag was never discovered.
The deserts of south Serica were mostly savannah as were some deserts in the intergalcial, so humans spread to Serica easily.

Can't argue with that logic, and that's pretty cool. Having such a large uninhabited island has a lot of thematic potential, especially if it's still not inhabited by the time recognisable civilisations start arising.

Oh, btw, I'm not trying to shoulder in on your world building but I noticed you complaining a page or two ago about not really knowing where civilisations would arise given you don't know what might be the natural distribution of domesticable megafauna. So I've started an amateurish attempt at mapping that out, with cute little animal icons too! I'm nowhere near done, I've only just started on the bovine distribution around the Abalon Peninsular, though I'd expect they'd be much more widespread than that.

The three species I have completed are Pachyderms (represented by the elephant), Equidae (represented by the horsie), and for my own amusement the giant Xenarthra (represented by the giant ground sloth in Equatoria, which in our world was native to the Americas and went extinct due to Native Americans hunting them to extinction). I've been following your climate map for guidance, though I've rather ignored the various islets so far. Note I've been trying to map out their natural distribution rather than where they might be introduced, as I imagine all of Ozara could be inhabited by horses with Human introduction rather than the snaking chain displayed here.
I'll include Bovidae subfamilies split in Bovinae (cattle, bison, buffalo, yak), Caprinae (ibex, sheep, goat), Antelope (self-explanatory but I've split them because they're technically more bovinae than caprinae but are superficially similar to the latter), and Cervidae (deer, elk, moose). I'll also include the familes Suidae (pigs, boars, hogs), Camelidae (llamas, alpacas, camels), and possibly Phasianidae (pheasants, chickens, junglefowl) and Anatidae (duck, geese, swans) though I'm not sure those last two are altogether necessary. I may also add Macropodidae (Kangaroos, quokkas, wallabies) who I imagine would be native to Capriornia.

Or I can completely mix up where all the species would originate for maximum historical diversion. Either or. Thoughts, are there any families I'm missing?

Tellurus.png

Can't argue with that logic, and that's pretty cool. Having such a large uninhabited island has a lot of thematic potential, especially if it's still not inhabited by the time recognisable civilisations start arising.

Oh, btw, I'm not trying to shoulder in on your world building but I noticed you complaining a page or two ago about not really knowing where civilisations would arise given you don't know what might be the natural distribution of domesticable megafauna. So I've started an amateurish attempt at mapping that out, with cute little animal icons too! I'm nowhere near done, I've only just started on the bovine distribution around the Abalon Peninsular, though I'd expect they'd be much more widespread than that.

The three species I have completed are Pachyderms (represented by the elephant), Equidae (represented by the horsie), and for my own amusement the giant Xenarthra (represented by the giant ground sloth in Equatoria, which in our world was native to the Americas and went extinct due to Native Americans hunting them to extinction). I've been following your climate map for guidance, though I've rather ignored the various islets so far. Note I've been trying to map out their natural distribution rather than where they might be introduced, as I imagine all of Ozara could be inhabited by horses with Human introduction rather than the snaking chain displayed here.
I'll include Bovidae subfamilies split in Bovinae (cattle, bison, buffalo, yak), Caprinae (ibex, sheep, goat), Antelope (self-explanatory but I've split them because they're technically more bovinae than caprinae but are superficially similar to the latter), and Cervidae (deer, elk, moose). I'll also include the familes Suidae (pigs, boars, hogs), Camelidae (llamas, alpacas, camels), and possibly Phasianidae (pheasants, chickens, junglefowl) and Anatidae (duck, geese, swans) though I'm not sure those last two are altogether necessary. I may also add Macropodidae (Kangaroos, quokkas, wallabies) who I imagine would be native to Capriornia.

Or I can completely mix up where all the species would originate for maximum historical diversion. Either or. Thoughts, are there any families I'm missing?
That's awesome! Can you make a key? Also, I planned on having pre-pleistocene/holocene extinction animals surviving to the present, and Cretaceous-era dinosaurs on Equatoria and Malag.

Isaac Beach

Banned
That's awesome! Can you make a key? Also, I planned on having pre-pleistocene/holocene extinction animals surviving to the present, and Cretaceous-era dinosaurs on Equatoria and Malag.

Of course. In fact I'll make the key ahead of time. Although I'll need to do a bit of research to find out all the species that went extinct during the Holocene Extinction, though the dinosaurs should actually be fairly easy. Although I presume you want there to be some separation between the dinosaurs on Malag and Equatoria right, so you won't get the same set of dinos on both landmasses? And do you think the Equatorian or Malagian dinos can coexist with certain types of mammalian megafauna King Kong-style or do you just want those islands to be totally reptilian?

EDIT: Here's the legend with the more mundane families, with the two avian families separated from the mammalian families. Yes that is supposed to be a camel for the Camelidae family, and yes it looks more like ET than anything else, but it works.

Tellurus Legend.png

Last edited:
Of course. In fact I'll make the key ahead of time. Although I'll need to do a bit of research to find out all the species that went extinct during the Holocene Extinction, though the dinosaurs should actually be fairly easy. Although I presume you want there to be some separation between the dinosaurs on Malag and Equatoria right, so you won't get the same set of dinos on both landmasses? And do you think the Equatorian or Malagian dinos can coexist with certain types of mammalian megafauna King Kong-style or do you just want those islands to be totally reptilian?

EDIT: Here's the legend with the more mundane families, with the two avian families separated from the mammalian families. Yes that is supposed to be a camel for the Camelidae family, and yes it looks more like ET than anything else, but it works.

View attachment 362313
Equatoria should have North Hemisphere dinos, and Malag southern. And coexistence is possible, the food chain doesn't care what species is what. There will, however be a bias favoring Cretaceous mammals over Cenozoic mammals in these areas.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Equatoria should have North Hemisphere dinos, and Malag southern. And coexistence is possible, the food chain doesn't care what species is what. There will, however be a bias favoring Cretaceous mammals over Cenozoic mammals in these areas.

Cool, sounds simple enough. I think I know the sort you mean, it'd be quite interesting if there was a bit of migratory conflict going on, on and around Natecuya where Cretaceous and Cenozoic animals are locked in a bit of an evolutionary duel. But I'll keep Equatoria and Malag proper majority Cretaceous. I'll get on that right away.

Equatoria should have North Hemisphere dinos, and Malag southern. And coexistence is possible, the food chain doesn't care what species is what. There will, however be a bias favoring Cretaceous mammals over Cenozoic mammals in these areas

Cool, I like we're adding extinct species into this world. Although does that mean they coexist along present day animals (including humans)? Or do they go extinct millions of years before like in OTL?

Deleted member 105545

We should probably start doing the continental drift now, either in the normal size or the "tiny tellurus" size. I think the "tiny tellurus" size would be better, It would go by so much faster.

We should probably start doing the continental drift now, either in the normal size or the "tiny tellurus" size. I think the "tiny tellurus" size would be better, It would go by so much faster.
I have the Pangea stage somewhere earlier in this thread, how many intervals in between should i make? 3?