Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Here's a horrible educational flag edition. This infographic from a think tank is using the U.S. flag from 1812:

decertificationinfographicthumbnail-639x405.jpg

Canada has annexed the Great Lakes by the looks of it.
Das means krieg, meine herren!

What irks me about this map for potential plague focus areas is:

While the red areas elsewhere are somewhat detailed (for example how the risky area zig-zags through Mongolia and god knows why there is also a tiny safe spot at their westernmost tip) the entire west of the US was deemed by the map creator to be a potential danger zone which additionally doesn't even spill over to neither Canada nor Mexico (though I concede that there are a few other examples like the Turkmenistan-Iran border which also seems to spot the plague risk for whatever reason)

t3_6lke9n.png
admit

Can't help but get the impression that the map creator wanted to make the US look more dangerous than what it actually should be.

While the red areas elsewhere are somewhat detailed (for example how the risky area zig-zags through Mongolia and god knows why there is also a tiny safe spot at their westernmost tip) the entire west of the US was deemed by the map creator to be a potential danger zone which additionally doesn't even spill over to neither Canada nor Mexico (though I concede that there are a few other examples like the Turkmenistan-Iran border which also seems to spot the plague risk for whatever reason)

View attachment 358744 admit

Can't help but get the impression that the map creator wanted to make the US look more dangerous than what it actually should be.

Madagascar didn’t SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING soon enough, apparently.

Look at fimpnland pretty sure they lost Vyborg/viipuri in WW2

Oh that's easy enough to explain.

It's using 1st level subdivisions. Presumably all the Western US states have a declared risk in the source, but Sühbaatar Aimaq in Mongolia doesn't.

Bangladesh doesn't border Burma, AND THEY KILLED NAKCHAVIN! THOSE BASTARDS KILLED NAKCHAVIN!

Since the main point of that map are the trade flows the map is probably not horrible educational but I still find it amusing how they distorted especially the European countries (and come to think of it, New Zealand northeast of Australia, yep...)

horribleedWelthandel_KNAUR1934.jpg

Admittedly they had to have enough room for all those darts pointing in an out, but couldn't they have chosen a less disproportional display?
Well, of course it was important to get DEUTSCHES REICH in fat bold letters into the center of the map in case someone might mistake it for something else :rolleyes:
As special bonus, while most of Germany is a fat swollen blob East Prussia has kinda withered away.

Found in a medical study on people who don't develop wisdom teeth. The percentages on the right are the rates of not developing wisdom teeth in each country.
It's not just the quality of the map itself, but also the apparent randomness of the colors when they could have put them on the scale that would actually indicate the information.

Found in a medical study on people who don't develop wisdom teeth. The percentages on the right are the rates of not developing wisdom teeth in each country.
It's not just the quality of the map itself, but also the apparent randomness of the colors when they could have put them on the scale that would actually indicate the information.

"America"
"New-Zeland"
"England" (and Scotland, Wales, Ireland...)
And of all the countries brutalized by this map, I think Chile had it worst. Unless you count the Jordanian Diaspora or the Czech-Polish Conflagration.

Besides that, this is a fascinating map! I had no idea that people in different countries had more or less chance to develop wisdom teeth!

You had no idea that people were genetically different?
Exactly! I assumed we were all exact clones of each other.

But isn't it interesting that different people have different numbers of teeth? And those numbers depend in part on national origin (or 'phenotype', I suppose)? That's cool!

Rahxephon

Banned
But isn't it interesting that different people have different numbers of teeth? And those numbers depend in part on national origin (or 'phenotype', I suppose)? That's cool!

It’s super cool, honestly. I wish there were more studies like this publicized, even if it meant us having to sit through maps that are… guh… THAT bad.

United Korea and Anscluss 2.0? I like.