WI An Ancient Bloodline Is Discovered

Okay wasn't sure what to call this without risking one of the Mods hastily sending this to another forum section but to the point at hand. What if a direct line of descent is discovered from the believed murdered Caesarion and therefore the great Julius himself? Now the reason I put this here is I won't to emphasise the point that this hypothetical bloodline is discovered in otl on the assumption (though beyond wishful thinking) that there is such an imperial ancestry.

I think for one thing, Novo Roma might have an new Emperor. Italian nationalists might gain a new symbol but who knows (hence why I'm asking you lot).

Okay wasn't sure what to call this without risking one of the Mods hastily sending this to another forum section but to the point at hand. What if a direct line of descent is discovered from the believed murdered Caesarion and therefore the great Julius himself? Now the reason I put this here is I won't to emphasise the point that this hypothetical bloodline is discovered in otl on the assumption (though beyond wishful thinking) that there is such an imperial ancestry.

I think for one thing, Novo Roma might have an new Emperor. Italian nationalists might gain a new symbol but who knows (hence why I'm asking you lot).
I mean, the Queen is supposed to be descended from both King David and Woden (which essentially means that any British person can claim the same), and Haile Selassie's family also claimed descent from David. So you're really looking at no huge difference, or maybe a Rastafarian-style religious thing at a push.

It would be very difficult prove some ancient ancestry. But even if such is found, it would be just historic curiosity. It hasn't any political effects. Probably even that desecndant doesn't care any shit.

If Caesarion had children and those children continued on his blood for 2000 years, then all of Europe could claim descent from Caesarion.

It'll just be like one of those "everyone in Europe is related to Charlemagne" or "16 million men are direct descendants of Genghis Khan". Cool stuff, but pointless.

This would be amazing. Imagine most of Europe, the Americas, Oceania and the Mediterranean basin's men getting regular visitation from Venus, our line's founder, urging us on to marital glory

Wimble Toot

Banned
Every human being now alive is part of an 'ancient bloodline'

It makes absolutely no difference IOTL, so why should it in another?

They make a semi interesting show about it on the history channel hosted by Tony Robinson, it gets mixed to positive review on IMDB.

Maybe monarchs claiming to be Jesus's offspring.

SsgtC

Banned
It'll just be like one of those "everyone in Europe is related to Charlemagne" or "16 million men are direct descendants of Genghis Khan". Cool stuff, but pointless.
Hey now! As one of those descendants of Charlemagne, I would like to point out that it is in no way...

You know what? Nevermind. It is pointless. Lol. There isn't exactly a French or Holy Roman throne to claim. Lol

Archeologists would need to unearth Jesus' grave and extract DNA, say from bone marrow. Then multiple different scientists would need to confirm that the skeleton is genuinely Jesus'.
After they sequenced the DNA they would start searching DNA archives to find a match. Thousands of people could claim to be from Jesus' family, but most would only contain a tiny percentage of Jesus' DNA.
Most would not care. A few people would deny any lineage. Finally, a handful of Jesus' descendants would earn a comfortable living as preachers.

Riain

Banned
Bloodlines became important when private property was tied closely to political/military power, so whomever inherited the lands from the father also inherited the family fortification, the means to buy soldiers and power over tenants. Bloodline itself doesn't mean much.

SsgtC

Banned
Not with that attitude! :p
Lol! Yeah, well, I don't think declaring myself King of the French and Holy Roman Emperor would go over too well with most of Europe. OTOH, there are an AWFUL lot of pretenders to the various vacant thrones...

Bloodlines became important when ... inherited the lands from the father also inherited the family fortification...Bloodline itself doesn't mean much.
This so much, lines only work if you only count the male to male line once you start thinking simply of past down DNA and having two equal parents then everybody will end up mixed over long time frames....

I mean, the Queen is supposed to be descended from both King David and Woden (which essentially means that any British person can claim the same),

As a fellow descendant of Wodan, I am if favor of my distant kinswoman Elizabeth sharing her bank account with me.

Quite a lot of Arabs are descendants of Mohammed including the ex-Kings of Tunis. It didn't stop them being deposed back in the fifties.
The whole "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" thing always struck me as illogical. Either (i) Jesus Christ was Divine exactly according to the Christian Scriptures -in which case "Priest after the order of Melchezidek" etc. and no descendants; (ii) Jesus Christ was Divine or Divinely inspired though not exactly according to the Christian Scriptures as we know them today - in which case any descendants would be purely human as God is not inspiring or indwelling -illustrious ancestry but nothing special in themselves; (iii) Jesus Christ was not divine and left no descendants; or (iv) Jesus Christ was not divine and left descendants- again,illustrious ancestry but nothing special. If He had left descendants who could also raise the dead and walk on water we would have noticed I imagine.

The Tolomei family of Rome claim descent from the Ptolomeys, so I understand.

Something like that would be of limited relevance to the general public, but for figures involved would be a great way to get reality shows, take advantage of it with religion (although Muhammad's descendents don't seem to have gained much through this, probably since there's so many of them), or just makes tons of appearances on the History Channel and shit.

Descent from Antiquity is a major subject in historical geneology, but few lines have been found. For instance, look at Confucius's descendents who are still very important in modern China and at one point had a faction attempting to appoint them Emperor of China.

Maybe monarchs claiming to be Jesus's offspring.

You'd need Catharism or a Gnostic doctrine which holds Jesus to have married and have had descendents. If you deny the doctrine of Mary's perpetual virginity (as some Protestants do, and something you can introduce), you can get descendents of Jesus's brothers (half-brothers if you believe Jesus's true father isn't Joseph but God himself) which would also be descendents of King David.

They all claim descent from Adam and Eve, and thereby God.

So how is this any different?

There's none of Jesus's DNA around as a comparator, anyway!

Not true, Adam and Eve are not descendents of God. Adam is just dirt God breathed "life" into and Eve is just Adam's rib formed into a human being.

Quite a lot of Arabs are descendants of Mohammed including the ex-Kings of Tunis. It didn't stop them being deposed back in the fifties.
The whole "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" thing always struck me as illogical. Either (i) Jesus Christ was Divine exactly according to the Christian Scriptures -in which case "Priest after the order of Melchezidek" etc. and no descendants; (ii) Jesus Christ was Divine or Divinely inspired though not exactly according to the Christian Scriptures as we know them today - in which case any descendants would be purely human as God is not inspiring or indwelling -illustrious ancestry but nothing special in themselves; (iii) Jesus Christ was not divine and left no descendants; or (iv) Jesus Christ was not divine and left descendants- again,illustrious ancestry but nothing special. If He had left descendants who could also raise the dead and walk on water we would have noticed I imagine.

The Tolomei family of Rome claim descent from the Ptolomeys, so I understand.

That's where you get the Arian controversy and the idea where Jesus can be both Divine and a mortal man. The idea of Jesus and his wife (Mary Magdalene, Martha?) producing demigods is thus unfounded, since their father would be Jesus the mortal man instead of Jesus the Son of God. I don't think it's too unlikely the historical Jesus (who isn't the Biblical Jesus) married (IIRC a Jewish teacher would not be taken seriously if he weren't 30 years old--Jesus was 30 when he began his ministry--and if he weren't married), but he likely left no descendents or else they would have been far more important in the early church. Maybe a son of Jesus is one of the Seventy Apostles? In any case, there's no evidence for this. Prominent descendents of Jesus would decisively shift Christological disputes toward Arianism and similar beliefs where Jesus has two natures, since none of Jesus's descendents are demigods (or are they, considering the amount of miracles attributed to various saints?)