Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding of the situation is that Hawai'i is actually used quite a bit as a spelling in Hawaiian English, and that it's not restricted to purely Hawaiian language texts.

It is, in part because there are a ton of place-names and the like derived from the Hawaiian language that also use apostrophes in place of the 'okina (but no macrons, probably because English doesn't use them), but that's only Hawaii and literally everyone else in the other 49 states, as well as the federal government, uses the spelling "Hawaii".

It's the same reason why "O'ahu" is almost never spelled that way in any English-language texts written outside of Hawaii.

It is, in part because there are a ton of place-names and the like derived from the Hawaiian language that also use apostrophes in place of the 'okina (but no macrons, probably because English doesn't use them), but that's only Hawaii and literally everyone else in the other 49 states uses the spelling "Hawaii".

It's the same reason why "O'ahu" is almost never spelled that way in any English-language texts written outside of Hawaii.
So... What's your problem? What's exactly wrong with using the spelling Hawai'i? It's how they spell it, and it isn't "incorrect" nor "not widely used by the majority of Hawaiians" like you claimed it was...

So... What's your problem? What's exactly wrong with using the spelling Hawai'i? It's how they spell it, and it isn't "incorrect" nor "not widely used by the majority of Hawaiians" like you claimed it was...

My problem is that I find it annoying, because it's essentially the same as me constantly referring to Wales as "Cymru" in discussions about British politics, despite not being Welsh (or having Welsh ancestry, that I know of), never having visited Wales and not speaking a word of Welsh. It would seem weird and out of place.

You're twisting what I said. I said it wasn't spelled that way in the language that the vast majority of Hawaiians use (English) because it's not- they're using the Hawaiian spelling of the word. It's like the O'ahu/Oahu thing I mentioned earlier- in Hawaii, they occasionally use the Hawaiian spelling, but it's solely an affectation and the island's official name is "Oahu".

Guys this is petty it’s just a spelling, it’s not offending anyone

Let’s make some maps

Yes, let's do that.

On a related note, we need a Japhy for this thread to actually encourage more things like the things Utgard96 has been creating instead of low-energy or lazily thought-out maps.

FWIW, I'm always happy for randomers to call my country Aotearoa.

I am also happy to insult anyone who posts a low-effort American presidential thing with one token state going third-party for the lulz.

FWIW, I'm always happy for randomers to call my country Aotearoa.

I am also happy to insult anyone who posts a low-effort American presidential thing with one token state going third-party for the lulz.
genusmap.php

Bad Time?

Better Choice

Second term of Al Gore was good, and he re-elected third time without problems. Economics was stable, approval among americans was high, and so Liberal-WOS coalition won by double digits, controlling both Congress and Senate. Reform Party finally collapsed, however, Angus King founded new Democratic Movement (represented only in senate, for this time). Conservative, Moderate and Progressive parties faced heavy losses in the Congress. Radical parties, Greens and Taxpayers', surpisingly gained few seats. In Senate, Conservatives gained four seats, thanks to charismatic leader George W. Bush. Some talk about him as possible new party leader, who will replace weak Dan Quayle. Bernie Sanders resigned from the Progressive party leadership, and later left it, founding his own political movement, Labor Party. He succesfully ran for the senate seat in 2002.
Gore was a uncrowned king these days - polls showed that he in fourth place in the list of the best Federal Chancellors of the USA ever. But nothing lasts forever... and opposition knew it.

United States general election, 2002

Congress of the States
(at-large, number based on population)
2002_elections.png

436 seats, 219 to get majority

Liberal (Al Gore, WOS-TN) - 217 seats (+68)
Workers of the South (Al Gore, WOS-TN) - 141 seats (-5)
Conservative (Dan Quayle, C-IN) - 21 seats (-4)
Moderate (John McCain, M-AZ) - 19 seats (-32)
Progressives (Ron Wyden, P-OR) - 15 seats (-29)
Taxpayers' (Richard Cheney, T-ND) - 15 seats (+7)
Green (Ralph Nader, G-CT) - 8 seats (+2)
Ruling coalition: L-WOS (358 seats)

Federal Senate
(at-large, two seats per state)
2002_elections_senate.png

102 seats, 52 to get majority
Liberal (Bill Clinton, WOS-AR) - 30 seats (+7)
Workers of the South (Bill Clinton, WOS-AR) - 25 seats (-4)
Conservative (George W. Bush, C-TX) - 20 seats (+4)
Moderate (Lincoln Chafee, M-RI) - 12 seats (+1)
Progressives (Barbara Boxer, P-CA) - 6 seats (-8)
Taxpayers' (Jeff Sessions, T-AL) - 6 seats (-1)
Democratic Movement (Angus King, DM-ME) - 2 seats (+2)
Labor (Bernie Sanders, LAB-VT) - 1 seats (+1)
Ruling coalition: L-WOS (55 seats)

Most important figures in the Government:
Federal Chancellor: Al Gore (WOS-TN)
Speaker of the HoS: Harry Reid (L-NV)
President of the Senate: Bill Clinton (WOS-AR)
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Hillary Clinton (L-NY)
Minister of Finances: Lloyd Bentsen (WOS-TX)
Minister of Defense: Joe Lieberman (L-CT)

Last edited:
Your enthusiasm touches me - you're certainly welcome to make suggestions for states to do, but I can't guarantee with any reliability that I'll actually follow through. That said, I do have New York State and Colorado lined up, so those should be coming out at some nebulous point in the near future.

If you don't end up doing New York state as a messed up, Chilean-style fusion system with crazy broad alliances I'd be mightly disappointed :p

genusmap.php

2016 - A close shave. After recounts in PA, NH, with MI undecided for more than 3 weeks, Hillary Clinton wins the state by just over 800 votes and a narrow electoral college victory. Trump concedes after the Michigan recount, protests break out with Trump supporters calling the Michigan results "rigged"

Earned Electoral College votes
Fmr. Sec of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Sen. Timothy M. Kaine (D-VA) 278 47.5%
Businessman Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Gov. Michael R. Pence (R-IN) 260 43.8%
Fmr Gov. Gary E. Johnson (L-NM)/Fmr. Gov. William F. Weld (L-MA) 0 4.1%
Ms. Jill E. Stein (G-MA)/Mr. Amaju E. Baraka (G-IL) 2.1% 0
Fmr CIA Dir. D. Evan McMullin (I-UT)/Ms. Mindy Finn (I-TX) 1.6% 0
Others 0.9%

The Electoral College vote

Electoral College vote.png

Clinton - 274
Trump - 255
Sanders - 3
Romney - 2
Kasich - 2
Cruz - 1
Spotted Eagle - 1

Last edited:
In a US that has some rather major differences, President Barack Obama (D-HI) has just won re-election against Senator Elliot Sanders (W-VT), by a 53-45 margin, and by a dominating 318-141 margin in the electoral college, the Whig's fourth loss in a row.
QpMzTD6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.