Bahia de Todos los Santos: Spanish Colonization of the Mid-Atlantic

I've been away from this thread for a bit: refresh my memory (or point me to a post) - how did Carolina get all that pelf west of Texas while remaining buddies with the Mexicans?

Seems a bit of a coincidence that they get the same border west of Lake Michigan as the OTL US. Also, Hispano-wank. :biggrin:

New Mexico/North Mexico was separated earlier in the 18th Century following a revolt against the Wittelsbachs by officials within the Viceroyalty of Mexico, the Captaincy-General of Nueva Extramadura continued to pull away from Mexico's orbit considering its remoteness to Mexico City and increasing ties by Carolino traders from Nuevo Cadiz/New Orleans and those crossing the Great Plains.

One COULD go the opposite route and just have them remain independent from both Mexico and Carolina.

That's what I was saying beforehand. It's ludicrous historical parallelism to have a country that arose in completely different circumstances get at least a portion of their border that's way too close to OTL's. I'd be fine with the OTL border with Mexico surviving because of the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo, but the 49th Parralel is an invisible line created by cartographers. It's absurd that it'd still be used as a border. Then again it may be partially because of the lousy quality of the blank map used.

As with the 49th Parallel I figured there was enough reasoning in OTL for it to continue to this ATL. What with Carolina annexing the southern shores of the Great Lakes from Virginia. THough, I was thinking of eventually giving Carolina British Columbia as well...

Last edited:
Hmmm, if there are problems with Carolina's current representation how about alternatives?

Here we have Carolina Currently.

XJvM2JB.png
An Alternate Carolina and Mexico: The borders are along the Texan Colorado River-Rio Grande, and Colorado River.
FV6ECvm.jpg

An Alternate Carolina, Mexico, and an independent Nueva Extramadura: Again border along the Texan Colorado River for Carolina-NE, but with NE-Mexico it is more centered around Northern Mexico going its own way.

WKScQBi.jpg

The Borders are fine as they are. Nueva Extramadura has a frontier culture, which would be incompatible to the Hacienda system prevalent in Mexico. It's inevitable that Carolina will eventually expend North into British Columbia because there's no way the British could populate the area and might just sell it. Britain might take Alaska though, as a war with Russia is bound to occur.

Last edited:
Hmmm, if there are problems with Carolina's current representation how about alternatives?

An Alternate Carolina, Mexico, and an independent Nueva Extremadura: Again border along the Texan Colorado River for Carolina-NE, but with NE-Mexico it is more centered around Northern Mexico going its own way.

WKScQBi.jpg

I do not have problems with your choices, but the above option (third) sees me more interesting and those that would offer more possibilities for the TL.

Another option guess that could be a mix of the second and third options.

Last edited:
It's inevitable that Carolina will eventually expend North into British Columbia because there's no way the British could populate the area and might just sell it.

The way they failed to populate British Columbia OTL? :)

EDIT: ah, I was confused: Virginians =/= British. So, it's going to be a bit of race to the west coast between Virginia and the Carolinans. (Although really, is British Columbia much harder to get to from England than Australia?)

I have some doubts about Carolina growing its population and spreading as far and fast as the OTL US. [1]

I have no trouble with the first map as the eventual future of Carolina, if that what it's supposed to be: [2] I raised a query because I was unsure whether it was supposed to be at independence, at which time communications from Carolina to California are going to be even more tenuous than between California and Central Mexico, and the Comaches are going to make it difficult for Carolinan settlers to push into west Texas probably until the 1850s.

[1] The Spanish simply weren't that good at building their colonial populations before independence: after three centuries of colonialism, all of Spanish south America had a population of a bit over 7 million people in 1800, barely ahead of 6 million in the US at the time, and native Americans still represented a large portion of that at the time.

[2] Although I'm a bit dubious about the border being drawn so far north in the west: the border is being drawn way north west of the lakes compared to what it is east of the lakes: the OTL US already reached almost as far north in Maine. Not sure why the Carolinans, folks of the sunnier south, are so keen on getting the frozen Indian hell of the north plains. :biggrin: I suppose they might lay claims that far north on the basis of French Louisiana, but I'd expect Virginia to hold onto the Red River valley at least.

Last edited:

EDIT: ah, I was confused: Virginians =/= British. So, it's going to be a bit of race to the west coast between Virginia and the Carolinans. (Although really, is British Columbia much harder to get to from England than Australia?)

I have some doubts about Carolina growing its population and spreading as far and fast as the OTL US. [1]

I have no trouble with the first map as the eventual future of Carolina, if that what it's supposed to be: [2] I raised a query because I was unsure whether it was supposed to be at independence, at which time communications from Carolina to California are going to be even more tenuous than between California and Central Mexico, and the Comaches are going to make it difficult for Carolinan settlers to push into west Texas probably until the 1850s.

[1] The Spanish simply weren't that good at building their colonial populations before independence: after three centuries of colonialism, all of Spanish south America had a population of a bit over 7 million people in 1800, barely ahead of 6 million in the US at the time, and native Americans still represented a large portion of that at the time.

[2] Although I'm a bit dubious about the border being drawn so far north in the west: the border is being drawn way north west of the lakes compared to what it is east of the lakes: the OTL US already reached almost as far north in Maine. Not sure why the Carolinans, folks of the sunnier south, are so keen on getting the frozen Indian hell of the north plains. :biggrin: I suppose they might lay claims that far north on the basis of French Louisiana, but I'd expect Virginia to hold onto the Red River valley at least.
It would be a hassle to try to give you a summary so I think you should probably revisit older chapters...

This TL does depart from the colonial policies of the OTL Spanish America in several aspects, while places like Mexico and Peru (the money makers and largest source of Post/Pre Contact native populations) had restrictive settler policies much like OTL there were exceptions in this ATL for the areas that correspond to Carolina of this TL. Given the under population of Native population and also de las Casas settler experiment had success.

Specifically in regards to OTL New Mexico/North Mexico they were considered different from Central Mexicans because even OTL practices for settling North Mexico were different from Central Mexican. Central Mexico fell more along the lines of transplanted feudal class systems which we know as the encomeida and the class system that came after it. For Northern Mexico settlement was much more directly government sponsored and one could say militarized due to the geography of the entire region.

It would be a hassle to try to give you a summary so I think you should probably revisit older chapters...

I will admit though when considering California and Nueva Extradamura joining Carolina I was conflicted if it was overstretching. Same with Post-Misisipi War and the 49th parallel since I don't want Virginia to have Oregon.

How about moving the Carolina-Virginia border more toward the Upper Mississippi and having Nueva Extremadura join Mexico?

I personally like the option with an independent Nueva Extradamura the best. Mostly because the cultural differences between the northern and central Mexicans could plausibly give rise to an independent nation. If the various Latin American nations can form despite ostensibly having few differences I don't see why it can't happen here. I'd imagine that Nueva Extradamura would be a Hispanic version of Texas. Rugged frontier pioneers who don't feel like taking orders from the cosmopolitan politicians in Mexico City. Even after they discover the oil in Texas and the precious metals in the west.

Plus having Nueva Extradamura be independent gives Carolina a reason to stretch so far to the north.

This TL does depart from the colonial policies of the OTL Spanish America in several aspects, while places like Mexico and Peru (the money makers and largest source of Post/Pre Contact native populations) had restrictive settler policies much like OTL there were exceptions in this ATL for the areas that correspond to Carolina of this TL. Given the under population of Native population and also de las Casas settler experiment had success.

Were Spanish settlement policies restrictive for all parts of America OTL? Broader question: were the British OTL unique in their willingness to take what they could get? Was settlement in Brazil and French America comparably restricted?

(I'm just wondering now if the relative British success in settlement of their colonies wasn't so much a matter of Unique British Pioneering Spirit [1] as it was a case of the competition kneecapping themselves)

[1] Although I will admit the Scots-Irish were something of a American Secret Weapon. If you want some people to put down stakes in an unsettled wilderness and murderify anything in the way, the Scots-Irish are your go-to people. :biggrin:

Were Spanish settlement policies restrictive for all parts of America OTL? Broader question: were the British OTL unique in their willingness to take what they could get? Was settlement in Brazil and French America comparably restricted?

(I'm just wondering now if the relative British success in settlement of their colonies wasn't so much a matter of Unique British Pioneering Spirit [1] as it was a case of the competition kneecapping themselves)

[1] Although I will admit the Scots-Irish were something of a American Secret Weapon. If you want some people to put down stakes in an unsettled wilderness and murderify anything in the way, the Scots-Irish are your go-to people. :biggrin:

Oh yes, you could certainly describe it as competitive knee capping. The policy was uniform throughout the majority of the Spanish colonial empire but it wasn't until well into the 18th century that it began to shift and by then it was too late. It was mostly about preserving the transplanted class system, and definitely the religious make up. You had to get a government permit to just travel to the Spanish Americas let alone settle there. I believe the loosest may have been Argentina, the geography and native population levels are comparable to North America to an extent.

Last edited:
Oh yes, you could certainly describe it as competitive knee capping. The policy was uniform throughout the majority of the Spanish colonial empire but it wasn't until well into the 18th century that it began to shift and by then it was too late. It was mostly about preserving the transplanted class system, and definitely the religious make up. You had to get a government permit to just travel to the Spanish Americas let alone settle there. I believe the loosest may have been Argentina, the geography and native population levels are comparable to North America to an extent.

...OTOH, Argentina didn't attract many settlers before the 19th century.

Perhaps I'm being unduly negative. I have a possibly unfair impression that Carolina is turning into "US 2.0: The Hispanicizing" and, given the generally difficult history of all of Latin America, it leaves me with a certain unease.

...OTOH, Argentina didn't attract many settlers before the 19th century.

Perhaps I'm being unduly negative. I have a possibly unfair impression that Carolina is turning into "US 2.0: The Hispanicizing" and, given the generally difficult history of all of Latin America, it leaves me with a certain unease.

I can understand the concern, I have studied the reasons why Latin America had such a difficult history and it wasn't as inevitable as it appears to be. Mexico being invaded by Spain and having a civil war not just once but three times in the space of a century will actually be a boon for Mexico. Ultimately, they have helped to break the back of the Landed Elite, this will open opportunities for Mexico to break from its OTL course.

Though all in all Carolina is different from the rest of Latin America not at a political level but a socio-economic level. Most importantly because I got them to conk out the Casta Class system.

EDIT: Immigration wise Carolina has three factors that have helped with immigration increase over time and why it is different than New Spain or Peru:

1. Geography, mostly out of the tropical disease zone that affects much of the Caribbean not to mention more diverse crop planting and other trades. It also does not have the gold, silver and other precious mineral resources famous in Mexico and Peru that would have made Spanish officials restrictive of immigrants.

2. Bartolome de las Casas' Peasent Settlement policy worked, after the first attempt. Why it was more accepted was because of reason 3...

3. European vs Native Population, is much differently balanced. The Native population is much smaller in Carolina. This lead to a greater need of importing labor toward cash crops and other intensive labor as well as seeing Mestizos as more "European" which helped undo the Casta System in Carolina. This does also lead to the larger scale importation of slave labor in Carolina later with the African Slave Trade boom of the 18th century.

Last edited:
Alt-Part 36: The Collapse at Roble

With the Spanish peace secured in 1808 the Comuneros of Carolina, Joseana, Mexico and Nueva Extramadura had achieved the sought after goal of complete independence from the cruel, taskmaster that was Spain! Celebrations were held from the Atlantic to the Pacific as news spread westward of the victory for the Comuneros in North America. This initial period following the peace treaty was well received by all throughout the continent and many looked forward to what new cooperation could be had between the now independent peoples of the Americas. Not all good things last forever, and various factors would act against what could have been a united nation, a Gran Columbia.

While these factors would come to a head at the 1810 2nd Convention of Roble one must understand that the strands had begun to unravel well before 1810. Right, out of the gate of independence a great debate began across North America about what kind of entity would be formed, what kind of rights would be had by its peoples, and how it would govern, but the first major concern was the rights of the freed former slaves in Joseana, whose freedom had been complicated by first Anti-Wittelsbachs and again by Anti-Comunero forces. Cooperation between the majority Africano and Zambo forces from Joseana and the majority Criollo and Mestizo forces from Carolina and Nueva Extramadura had been friendly at the higher levels, especially between de Rivilla and Alcaldo during the Ohio Campaign. However, there were distinct racial tensions between the various Comunero forces as they mixed together which caused a few but highly volatile instances of violence. It was a clash of slaves so recently freed who wished to guard that freedom and the egotism (and perhaps some may say opportunism) of Crillo and Mestizos who had cultural and social dominance further east. One incident was caused by a Carolino soldier claiming land and making several comments about hiring out the locals for work, commenting he would be a strong taskmaster. One thing lead to another and a fight ensued which lead three dead and several more wounded. While rare these cases did spread and would tinge public opinion. Further west in Nueva Extramadura concerns of a "host" of African foreigners taking land arose but more substantially actors among the Nueva Extramaduran elite who had played a key part in independence (namely Pancho Naravez) were concerned about losing their power as patrons in the community. What they considered radical ideas of wide enfranchisement of their peons were seen as a threat to their power base. In particular, Joseana was in a precarious position, it had been formerly directly apart of Carolina and then removed, some officials in Bahia still thought that it MUST be directly integrated into Carolina despite the fact that the demographics had changed drastically over the course of a century.

In the two years after the fight for Independence had ended and the 2nd Convention of Roble different notions had time to bubble in the public and come forth at the Convention. Joseana and Nueva Extramadura resented what they saw as the return to power to Bahia, and proposals by the Carolinos did not satisfy their concerns over local sovereignty. Especially for Nueva Extramadura which was barely connected to the majority population centers of Joseana and Carolina. The Regional system as proposed by the delegates was considered too unwieldy, and the fact that the board for the regions was defined by the Cortes General threatened that it could be redesigned by a majority vote, say Carolina decided to split Joseana into two parts with Nueva Extramadura taking another part. There were also other disputes such as the make up of provincial boundaries and the power of the Presidente. In the end the representatives from Carolina, Joseana, and Nueva Extramadura refused to come to an agreement and left the 2nd Convention of Roble not as a united nation but as three new states.

Haiti, in particular, was delighted by this turn of events. Now they had a fellow majority Black nation on their border. Mexico was not so thrilled by the break-up of their allies further north. On one hand there were some politicians who called for the reintegration of "El Norte" but on the other this could very well lead to instability on the northern border of Mexico.

-------------------
I need a new blank map, but you kind of get the idea of the size of these states and their territorial claims in the Continental US
BjFw5E2.png

Last edited:
Alt-Chapter 37: "Rise o' Freemen!"

Prior to the failure of the Convention of Roble, the leaders of Joseana we're prepared to go it alone should attempts to form an perfect union with Carolina at the very least failed. They received support and example in more than one way from their immediate neighbor, the black republic of Haiti. To the Joseano the Haitians sent material support, already a wash in Spanish arms, the Haitians sent over critical artillery and military advisors who had faced practically every major European power invading their homeland. The Emperor Pierre the I even promised to invade Santo Domingo, which still aligned with Carolina, should Carolina attempt to re-take Joseana.

The Joseano leaders, especially the famous general Alcaldo, were under no illusions about the precariousness of the situation. North America threatened to become a powder box, but they also learned that the Haitian way was more than likely not the best way. Since declaring Independence the Republic of Haiti had become the Empire of Haiti, with at least two Emperors overthrowing one another. Alcaldo, elected as Commander-in-Chief and Presidente-Interim of the Joseana Cortes General, kept relations with the Haitians friendly but also kept them at arms length.

Following the failure of the Convention of Roble he made a public speech in the Interim-Capital of Joseana in Libertad (Vicksburg). In the speech he extolled the brothership between the Joseano people and the freedoms they had fought for which would be extended to not only themselves and but their descendants. In this Alcaldo warned that it would be a struggle for generations to maintain this freedom and the rights that came with it. He said "Rise o' Freemen, rise to the occasion, rise to the defense of your liberty and your neighbor's liberty, now and always!"

A month following the 2nd Convention, Joseana declared itself the United Republic of Joseana, asking for political recognition from Carolina it sent ambassadors to Bahia. While war hawks in Carolina called for invasion and re-conquest of Joseana the public response was much less muted. Parts of the country we're still rebuilding from the push for independence. Further, while Joseana had a smaller population than Carolina the two did have significant enclaves of African and Mestizo who did. It wish for war. As time went on these two ethnic enclaves would shrink, especially as many Africans moved to Joseana.

In the end Carolina recognized Joseana but the two sides still cited conflicting boundary concerns that would not be settled immediately. In particular Carolina saw territory north of Mabila as its territory, and both sides overlapped further north. Surprisingly, the Virginians would provide a solution to the last dispute. The Virginians, over confident in their belief they could defeat both of their neighbors declared war and sought to push their way into the Ohio Valley and Mississippi. While at the time, Virginia did have more population than Joseana and Carolina combined they did not have the military example of La Legion. The professional corps of Carolina and Joseana defeated the Virginian invasion and pushed north giving both Carolina and Joseana ample room across the Great Plains. This United struggle boosted relations between both Carolina and Joseana, however Joseana's relationship with Nueva Extremadura's successor state would be much more bloody.

Alt-Chapter 38: Liberal or Conservative for North America?

In terms of the New World Republics that sprouted across the Americas in the wake of the Age of Revolution one could characterize these into several categories, many of which over bled, but in simple terms it would be Conservative vs Liberal. To define Conservative, one would have to be a supporter of the Pre-Independence social status quo, seeking to adapt it and many of the political and social achievements of Spain to the new nation. They also would support a strong centralized state. To define, Liberal they would have to be in favor of decentralized power (at least in theory), removing the old hierarchies, and much more supportive of free trade. The view of the Catholic Church could be an example, Conservatives saw it as a stabilizing source while Liberals tended to be wary of its interference and support of old hierarchies. Uniform in all of these states (with the exception of Nouvelle Rochelle) would be the rise of Claudillos (Little Chiefs) who rose to power through a combination of military machoism and whose charisma could influence the lower classes despite being of elite origin. Despite their differences they would all have different consequences across Latin America, by 1870 many so called "Liberal" regimes would be involved in the same repression used by "Conservative" regimes.

If we were to start with Virginia, they would be classified as a Conservative government following their independence. While they would buck the monarchical trend of Britain and have support for a decentralized system of government they were still extremely supportive of the old hierarchy that had been established since their foundation. While bordering on the theocratic at times it still largely emphasized the continued influence of old power.

Nouvelle Rochelle following their independence from the United Provinces could be considered a conservative power, despite their tendency toward decentralization the lay of the land was still influenced by a social hierarchy from prior to independence-despite the fact that it was perhaps the most flexible in the Americas. More a legacy as a nation of refuge and Dutch business tolerance than anything else.

Carolina skirts the line very close between Conservative and Liberal because of the history of their lead up to the War of Independence. The old Peninsulares power had been broken and tossed out of the country, but they still maintained the Criollo and Mestizo dominance prior to their revolution. However they did seek to decentralize government authority with their first constitution landing them in the Liberal camp.

Where Carolina in some respects toed the line Joseana and Mexico were well deep into the Liberal camp. Mexico in the wake of the utter uprooting of the landed elite and Joseana being built on the backs of revolting slaves they would hit the trifecta. Mexico had to smash their social hierarchy much longer and much harder than Joseana had (a process started with the first Anti-Wittelsbach revolts) but at the same time Joseana had to build from the ground up.

Haiti despite its more liberal origins very quickly descended into the Conservative camp following their push for independence, the declaration of an Empire being a notable sign.

Nueva Extremadura in ways is comparable to Virginia in how it has maintained a Conservative position. The Naravez family and the other elites of the region did not want to give up the social hierarchy in the region following independence. In some ways they just rejected the authority of the Mother country and continued as normal.

Last edited:
After recently digging back into Bahia de Todos los Santos, I've got inspiration to make some additional maps for it! Here's my rendition of the first map posted by @Malta all the way back on page 1!
cBqKcR0.jpg

I've decided that Nueva Extramadura will go independent but Carolina and Joseana will stay together. Otherwise it just becomes a British wank.

The Vaquero Republics: Republic of Alta America and the Republic of California
The Vaquero Republics: Republic of Alta America and the Republic of California

As representatives from Carolina and Joseana convened for discussion on how to reform and organize their republic to better address the needs of the people the representatives from further west came to Roble with different designs. In Carolina and Joseana the War of Independence had disrupted and wiped away the old order of social hierarchy in both regions. Likewise, in Mexico the revolutionary politics were mirrored, ousting the land owning class in favor of the lower and middle classes of Central Mexico. The Spanish land holders and their allies suffered the greatest during the conflict and most saw themselves forced to migrate to Spanish Cuba or Puerto Rico. However, the war along the Rio Medio did less to break the old social hierarchy that had thrived prior to Independence, Pancho Naravez himself was a major Hacendado and in the aftermath of the war he and his allies consolidated their holdings throughout Nueva Extradamura. Similarly, further west in California the Vaquero descended ranch owners seized power in the political vacuum after the War of Independence, the distance to Roble allowed for the Californians to act very much on their own, taking San Miguel and the other coastal cities.

In war against Spain the "Nortenos", Carolinos, and Mexicanos had been united by a common enemy but with that enemy removed personal politics began to take the field. Naravez became increasingly wary of the political changes his eastern comrades hoped to foster in united republic of Carolina. Especially, as the considered "radical" politics of the Carolino leaders favored reforms which would continue to put large land owners at a disinterest of middle class which were seeking better enfranchisement. Naravez did not want this, his actions leading up to the Convention of Roble mirrored this as he and his allies railroaded provincial legislation which kept Naravez in charge of Nueva Extramadura as governor. He also entered in special talks with the Mexico over border disputes without consulting the Cortes General. Negotiations with Mexico would eventually result in most of the territory south of the Rio Medio being returned to Mexico City's rule, except for territory north of the Rio Salado. Likewise, the Californians would reach similar agreements ceding territory south of the Central Valley to Mexico in return for recognizing their independence.

When the Nueva Extramaduran and Californian representatives were called for review on their proposals for the territorial administration of the western regions the assembly was shocked by the declaration. The representatives declared that as per the original Convention of Roble if the representatives did not accept the terms for the current convention then they were of no obligation to ratify and accept the proposed constitutional union. Through this the western territories legally claimed their right of sovereignty and dissolved their union with the other territories of the provisional republic of the original convention of Roble.

Tensions flared in Carolina, some argued for taking the territory by force while others wanted them to go on their own. The Unionista factions in particular wanted to bring the western territories back into a united republic. Ultimately, war weariness and a willingess by Great Britain to recognize both republics forced Carolina War Hawks to give up or at least delay their plans. Especially, as tensions with Indios and Virginia flared up in the North-West border regions. However it was not as clean cut, especially in the Trinidad river region between Joseana and Nueva Extremadura's region of Alta Coahuila (Texas). Fighting erupted between primarily Zambo and African settlers from Joseana against Nortenos moving east from Santa Fe (and of course Comanche raiders in between) over the area. Talks between Roble and Santa Fe bogged down for over a year before ultimately the region was granted to Carolina in exchange for dropping claims further north. Tension between the two governments would erupt later on over the Missouri watershed.

Following independence the Californians declared themselves a full republic. Likewise, Nueva Extremadura with Pancho as Presidente, declared themselves to be free from their colonial past. They declared themselves as the Republic of Alta America or North America. To put on a personal view, notably Felipe Naravez the brother of Pancho who lead his Vaquero riders eastward during the revolution refused to return to Santa Fe despite being offered a position as Commander of Alta America's forces. He would remain in his position as Colonel of the Republican Riders, made up of his vaquero riders from the war, the elite unit of La Legion and protectors of government grounds. When he did die he would have his body interned at the Capitol cemetary in Carolina.