AHC/WI: Belgium/Leopold II sells the Congo

Pretty much what the title says. I understand that this is highly unlikely because of how profitable the colony was for Leopold, but could it be possible for Belgium to sell their Congo territories to another country? What conditions might lead to the sale? Who might some potential buyers be (other than the obvious African colonial powers)?

Note: I’ve posted this here because even though the sale could plausibly happen after 1900, the POD would probably have to be before.

Pretty much what the title says. I understand that this is highly unlikely because of how profitable the colony was for Leopold, but could it be possible for Belgium to sell their Congo territories to another country? What conditions might lead to the sale? Who might some potential buyers be (other than the obvious African colonial powers)?

Note: I’ve posted this here because even though the sale could plausibly happen after 1900, the POD would probably have to be before.

I don't see any reason why Belgium couldn't
sell the Congo(indeed such a move might
well have been welcomed as a way to get
rid of what had become a very hot potato!)
I would have to say that the most likely
buyer was Germany- IOTL they viewed, in
the immediate pre- WWI period- the colonies
they did have as inadequate, & would have
welcomed a chance to get more. They also
had plenty of $ & I'm sure could have paid
just about whatever sum Belgium would
have asked for.

I don't see any reason why Belgium couldn't
sell the Congo(indeed such a move might
well have been welcomed as a way to get
rid of what had become a very hot potato!)
I would have to say that the most likely
buyer was Germany- IOTL they viewed, in
the immediate pre- WWI period- the colonies
they did have as inadequate, & would have
welcomed a chance to get more. They also
had plenty of $ & I'm sure could have paid
just about whatever sum Belgium would
have asked for.

The reason Belgium can't sell the Congo is because, prior to 1908, they don't own it. The Congo Free State was the personal property of King Leopold, not government property.

Germany won't buy it pre-1890: not with "My map of Africa is France is on our Western border, Russia is to our East" von Bismark in charge. Personally, I think the UK is a more likely buyer; they'd use the claim on the Congo to soldify their claims to the interior of Africa over the Portuguese and allow for the Cape-to-Cairo Railway

The reason Belgium can't sell the Congo is because, prior to 1908, they don't own it. The Congo Free State was the personal property of King Leopold, not government property.

Germany won't buy it pre-1890: not with "My map of Africa is France is on our Western border, Russia is to our East" von Bismark in charge. Personally, I think the UK is a more likely buyer; they'd use the claim on the Congo to soldify their claims to the interior of Africa over the Portuguese and allow for the Cape-to-Cairo Railway

Understood FillyofDelphi. But AFTER 1908
couldn't Belgium then sell it? And after 1908
couldn't Germany buy it? (Indeed, want to)

Last edited:
Understood FillyofDelphi. But AFTER 1908
couldn't Belgium then sell it? And after 1908
couldn't Germany buy it? (Indeed, want to)

Should myself have read the question more closely. OK, the question would then be-
prior to 1908, would Leopold be willing
to sell? If yes, then for about how much?
And of course, to who? (I still say that after
1890 IOTL Germany is the best candidate)

Deleted member 67076

Throw in another major revolt in the late 1890s very early 1900s. Leopold II was almost bankrupt by then and rubber plantations hadn't paid the bills yet. If another major shook up occurred the losses wouldn't be able to be recouped, forcing him either to sell or to go to Parliament for funds (which they vehemently refused to even after the Belgian Congo was established).

Aphrodite

Banned
He can't just sell it. The treaties recognizing the Congo Free State required it to be neutral. Neutrals were expected to defend their neutrality. In the early 1890s, Roseberry tried to lease a strip of the Congo for a planned railroad through central Africa. France and Germany went ballistic. They saw the agreement as a breach of the International Law regarding Africa and, more importantly, against their interests. In the end the Congo and Britain back down.

If a lease sets off such a furor, then to sell the whole thing is going to cause real mayhem. Belgium is never going to stand up to France and Germany aand even if Leopold has title to the Congo, Belgium is going to pay the price for his behavior.

You might get a partition after some long negotiations

I don't believe that the Congo would become an international pariah until perhaps a later period. The majority of condemnation came from Britain and the British press and to a lesser extent the American Press. The Congo hosted various Christian missionaries from an array of countries, many of whom complained to their respective governments before 1906 (the year Leopold agreed to surrender the Congo). The response of the government of Sweden-Norway that the state of the Congo was unremarkable as such conditions were typical of colonies as reported in Les relations entre l'État indépendant du Congo et l'Italie by Liane Ranieri (1959) was typical of the prewar international order.

Apparently the governments of Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain and Portugal paid scant attention to the atrocities in the Congo when missionaries complained. The problems were brought to the attention of the Kaiser, but did not bring up the issues upon meeting with Leopold, with these issues being considered a low priority. The most likely outcome would have been a partition with funds being given to compensate Leopold.

There seems to have been talk of a partition, but then great power rivalry falls into play with Germany, Britain and France failing to agree over the partition. France would not want neither France nor Germany to control the mouth of the Congo, though all the powers might to Portuguese control over the region around the mouth of the river to Portugal (perhaps all territory south of the Kasai River) provided that Portugal agree to free navigation and commerce. Portugal had at one time claimed the Lulua River as the Eastern frontier of Portuguese West Africa, and they might get that too. These slivers of territory would have buoyed the popularity of the monarchy at least temporarily as it would be seen as a diplomatic triumph on the part of King Carlos I whose reign was marked by a flurry of diplomatic activity, having successively hosted State visits from Edward VII of Britain, President Émile François Loubet of France and Kaiser Wilhelm between 1903 and 1905. Acquiring even a lesser valuable portion of territory could have been perceived as a result of the King's activities and given the monarchy a repressive from republican opposition. In return for British support in this endeavour, British companies would have been granted preferential access to this region.

With rubber being the most valuable commodity at the time and most of it being present in the northern half of the territory along the Congo River, France might claim the lion's share as France was generally regarded by the other powers of the time as an excellent colonial administrator. On the other hand, it might have to make concessions to Germany in exchange for Morocco. This period coincides with the First Moroccan Crisis in 1906 and therefore ceding a large portion of the territory to Germany might be a way to satisfy Germany's colonial ambitions. The British government seemed little interested in much of the territory, but I imagine that at the very least Southern Katanga and a Northeastern region around Uganda would be annexed into the British Central African Protectorate and Uganda respectively. By obtaining the most valuable portion of Katanga Britain would have secured among the world's largest copper deposits, and by graciously allowing Germany the lion's share of the Eastern Congo, it would have perhaps put Germany closer to achieving its colonial aims. However, German ambitions will have remained unsatisfied.

I suggest everyone read up on the Berlin Conferefence on Wikiepedia then do a Wiki Walk. I am finding so many fun things. Don't know if it is because I am using my old iPad, but I can't seem to paste links here. Look up stuff like Msiri and the Stairs Expedition to Katanga. And we should Maybe look over the actual texts of the treaties and see if we can find maps from the time period. Just think of the Treaty of Paris TNT ended the American War for Independence, and how they got the wrong area as the source of the Mississippi. I'm checking around and seeing if I can find confirmation for the thing I often say in these threads, in that Leopold told the French that if the Congo Society couldn't things running (for financial reasons, I think) then they would sell it to France. Not sure if it was a binding agreement or not. The British wouldn't be left out of it if the French did buy it, of course. They already had an interest in Katanga and would have liked to reach Uganda by land without a doubt. Probably a lot harder in eastern Congo than it ended up being in Tanzania, though. Portugal will want a bit of Congo and will be given it. They weren't able to manage everything in the area in the past, but they had no real reason to go to far at the mouth of the river anyways. May be that Britain wants the Portuguese to get the Congolese coast. Maybe the French are fine within. After all, there is some waterfall near the mouth of the river, so not as if they could have a fleet of riverboats heading to harbor. Depending on what year all this takes place... Hmmm, now I am imagining it after the Morocco Crisis, with Germany maybe trying to expand Kamerun a bit. All very akward of course.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
France had a pre-emption right IIRC... so if Leopold sells the colony, he'll sell it to France which will use its preemption to prevent Germany from getting it.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
France had a pre-emption right IIRC... so if Leopold sells the colony, he'll sell it to France which will use its preemption to prevent Germany from getting it.

Did the Belgian parliament pay off Leopold's company or seize it via eminent domain?

Could France be persuaded to exercise it's purchase right, and make it attractive to Leopold before the Belgian parliament decides what to do, if he starts hinting he's looking for a buyer? (which would in turn make Paris fear the Germans might get it).