Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. But where is Croatia? In Moldavia? And what is the grey color just east of Perm? Did you miscolor Mordova?

Norway-Scotland is interesting. Did the Vikings conquer Scotland or did they marry the locals?

Yeah. Mordova is Croatia. Mix up on my part.

There's no gray thing East of perm?

And the Vikings conquered most of the Scottish highlands and Jorvik. Scotland was basically their thrall, and the two families slowly intermarried.

@Valdore Javorsky

I only have a couple of suggestions. Maybe the Benelux region and the annexed French lands should be united into a single Reichsbund state, since directly integrating it might make good-looking borders, it seems a bit of a stretch considering they are recent aquisitions and the new lands have severe cultural differences. More importantly, it creates a buffer between France and Germany-proper (and less importantly makes it look balanced by having autonomous entities of both sides :closedeyesmile:).

Second, speaking of severe cultural differences, I can see the non-German entities of Germany wanting to be members of the Reichsbund instead of directly part of Germany. Maybe make former-Congress Poland and Polish Galicia into a Reichsbund state and Ukrainian Galicia to the Ukrainian state. Perhaps even Hungary, Bohemia, and Croatia as well, although it gets a bit more complicated then and I can see those crownlands still tightly-knit with former Austria.

I like the sound of Donau- und- Reichsbund a lot, too.

Nice alt-early-middle ages map. I approve. The Welsh seem to be doing pretty well compared to OTL: but then the Anglo-Saxons were never as well organized as the Normans.

Debating doing a religious map

That would be nice, or at least separate out the still-pagans from the Christianized or mostly christian ones in the key. :) Sweden did convert to Christianity, just late? Or do I misremember your earlier post?

Do you mean the Emirate of Murcia?

There's no gray thing East of perm?

West, my bad. In between the Horde and the Swedes.

By the way, how did the Swedes manage to keep such a large empire together? This seems too large for the time and I feel like it would probably tend to split between children rather than being kept together.

WIP: a commission updating my "Travels of John Mandeville" map to the current day.

mandeville_in_the_21st_century_by_quantumbranching-dbq2872.png

Last edited:

Jcw3

Banned
T8HdHdN.png

This is a 1940 British Empire, minus the dominions, ISOTed to a virgin earth. The year is 2140, and India is the unquestioned superpower of the world. Britain faded from relevance ages ago, and while vestiges of its colonial empire remain (in particular, that stupid pink square I kept forgetting to erase that still exists in the South Atlantic), the world is more likely to tread carefully around India or Bengal or Ghana or Kenya or Jordan-Palestine.

Britain keeps to herself, dominating Europe and maintaining a surprising cooperation with local elites in the Arabian Gulf. The encroaching Lyaran (Lyara is the name given to the Balochi-Sindh pro-independence alliance that grew into a coherent nation state, after the city in which it was founded) colony is worrying to London, but relations are cordial enough that only thriller writers really worry about it. Europe is quiet, Malta and Cyprus are well-behaved and barely noticeable neighbors.

India, on the other hand, is perpetually annoyed. While its population is approaching two billion these days, the population of the nations sprung from it are easily around three hundred million, more than enough to throw their weight around in China. Connecting their discontiguous colonies in Asia was a war that cost tens of thousands of lives, and nearly lost them their relationship with China (Hongkong and Canton weathered the transition to agricultural states surprisingly well, initially with British support, but as the empire faded, that proved untenable). While they are the perpetual superpower, and the likely inheritors of the Americas, they are quickly seeing the problem with being the king of the hill.

Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania are testy rivals, constantly bickering over various bits of territory. The interior of the Congo has long since been mapped by satellites, but Ghana and Tanzania are perpetually sparring over who, in one hundred years or so, will be the ones to hold the resource-rich jungle. Kenya and Ghana have their debate over South Africa, even though the Cape's relevance has largely faded by now. All three are concerned with saber rattling from their Moslem neighbors to the north, both Sokoto and Sudan being basketcases on a good day. The Arab Union normally keeps Sudan in line, but Jerusalem is increasingly tired of picking up after their bothersome southern client.

Finally, Jamaica and West India (the West Indies Federation shortened their name ages ago, didn't quite think of their possible confusion with India) have their own debates over who gets scraps of land in the Caribbean. Newfoundland is content to fish on their own, steadily pushing into the former Maritime provinces and down the St. Lawrence.

EDIT: Oh. Tech is ~20-30 years ahead of us on average, but applied differently.

Last edited:
Nice alt-early-middle ages map. I approve. The Welsh seem to be doing pretty well compared to OTL: but then the Anglo-Saxons were never as well organized as the Normans.

That would be nice, or at least separate out the still-pagans from the Christianized or mostly christian ones in the key. :) Sweden did convert to Christianity, just late? Or do I misremember your earlier post?

Do you mean the Emirate of Murcia?

Sweden is fully pagan in this TL, bit of a pariah among the christianized kingdoms. Unlike most of the pagan kingdoms, the Christian kingdoms usually converse with the swedes, originally because their power demanded they be taken seriously, and later because relations had warmed enough. Sweden also tolerates Catholicism as a syncretic religion, which although frowned upon by most Christians, isn't given the heretical label because it's gotten the swedes to start building churches in their land and many hope it will lead to full christianization.

And I do mean emirate of Murcia my bad.

West, my bad. In between the Horde and the Swedes.

By the way, how did the Swedes manage to keep such a large empire together? This seems too large for the time and I feel like it would probably tend to split between children rather than being kept together.

Do you mean Gothia in Crimea?

And the swedes have been relatively crafty. While the homeland remained divided mainly between tribal chiefs, the empire was for a long time split between Novogorod and Sweden proper. Novogorod was a 1 man king type dealie. When the Jarl of sweden died with a 2 year old on the throne, the Jarl of Novogorod jumped on the chance and United the two kingdoms. Novogorod is a proper Viking domain, and had basically formed as an army with a state. The army merely moved into Sweden later on, and on the internal structure it remains rather decentralized outside of Stockholm and Novogorod proper.

As for the children, most are granted large sums of land in Novogorod, or in recent cases, the new norweign territories to placate them from trying to take over the throne. All sons are eligible for the throne, and often it's either a chosen successor, leaving the most capable to lead, or the brothers will fight each other in hand-to-hand combat for the empire.

What do you think?
Is the new western border idea too wanky? Is it too wanky because the Reichsbund already OP'ed Germany enough, or does it even matter anymore?
What do you think about Switzerland? should it leave, as there were independence riots, or would it be weird to let them just slip away?
Here is my postwar map suggestion:
Greater_Germany_french_territories_concept-6 (dragged).png

I think that in switzerland the italian-swiss areas should be split off, and the rest directly integrated into Germany. If areas like the netherlands, poland, and hungary are a direct part of germany, there is no reason for switzerland, which is primarily german-speaking, not to be directly annexed. Personally I really like the idea of germany annexing those parts of france, and i think the resulting border is very aesthetically pleasing. I disagree with @Terranoso in that it is not too much of a stretch for those areas of france and the low countries to be annexed. My reasoning is similar to what I mentioned before, the fact that a couple million french is not that much when you consider all of the other non-german ethnic groups that are directly part of germany. As always, I really enjoy the work you're doing on the project and can't wait to see the finished version!

Jcw3

Banned
I like this a lot, do you plan to continue it?

It's certainly possible. I have a feeling it would wind up being a fairly boring map, though. India's rough spots are mostly behind it, so the entire world would wind up being purple. I might give it a shot, though, yeah.

It's certainly possible. I have a feeling it would wind up being a fairly boring map, though. India's rough spots are mostly behind it, so the entire world would wind up being purple. I might give it a shot, though, yeah.

I have a question. How do you make the growth of countries after a ISOT seem so realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.