The M-BAM Main Thread

Glad to see people are still working on this. I was worried this was being abandoned for all the bigger map projects (that'll take even longer) that kept popping up. People need to realize that bigger doesnt always mean better.

ST15RM

Banned
I have more of Chile done!
moar chile.png

Glad to see people are still working on this. I was worried this was being abandoned for all the bigger map projects (that'll take even longer) that kept popping up. People need to realize that bigger doesnt always mean better.
Perhaps somebody should start a life-sized map thread.
Gah, you Americans really like your straight lines! *hides map of Australia*
What's wrong with straight lines? Now if you complained of our excessive use of river borders, I'd understand, but the straight lines work out nicely.

River borders tend to split cities, and they wind around so much that a state's border essentially consists of a thousand tiny round panhandles. I know how unpopular pandhandles are on this site, and I understand why. A more practical natural border would be along the high points of mountain ranges, where those exist, because you're much less likely to split a city along those borders. There are places where river borders make the most sense, especially on rivers that are difficult to cross at times, but when half of the borders are rivers, it's not ideal. In the areas where there are no mountains and the rivers are easy to cross, and you can draw a straight line without splitting a city, then a straight line is a fine border. Australia and Canada are blessed with the opportunities to draw straightforward lines. I see the borders the way I see borders of electoral districts. I see a problem when I see a map full of the curves and panhandles, with districts that look like salamanders, octopuses, and bird claws talons, splitting one city up into 9 different districts that stretch off into all different directions. I see signs of good horse sense when I see a map made of compactly-shaped districts that don't split up cities, and avoid arbitrary pandhandles and wavy lines. Box-shapes districts may not be as pretty as octopus-shaped ones, but I'd feel safer putting my valuables in a box rather than in an octopus.

River borders tend to split cities, and they wind around so much that a state's border essentially consists of a thousand tiny round panhandles. I know how unpopular pandhandles are on this site, and I understand why. A more practical natural border would be along the high points of mountain ranges, where those exist, because you're much less likely to split a city along those borders. There are places where river borders make the most sense, especially on rivers that are difficult to cross at times, but when half of the borders are rivers, it's not ideal. In the areas where there are no mountains and the rivers are easy to cross, and you can draw a straight line without splitting a city, then a straight line is a fine border. Australia and Canada are blessed with the opportunities to draw straightforward lines. I see the borders the way I see borders of electoral districts. I see a problem when I see a map full of the curves and panhandles, with districts that look like salamanders, octopuses, and bird claws talons, splitting one city up into 9 different districts that stretch off into all different directions. I see signs of good horse sense when I see a map made of compactly-shaped districts that don't split up cities, and avoid arbitrary pandhandles and wavy lines. Box-shapes districts may not be as pretty as octopus-shaped ones, but I'd feel safer putting my valuables in a box rather than in an octopus.
It's not the small divisions I like curvy and full of panhandles, it's the bigger ones, ie. first and second level divisions. Smaller ones should have straight lines, but not be boxes.

Yeah? Why's that?
Yes, I like that idea. 1 pixel to 1 cm, right? If we get it big enough, people won't notice it's distorted.
1 pixel to 1 cm? I think my monitor has about 50 pixels to 1 cm. I haven't seen a 1cm pixel since I was a kid. But perhaps this weekend, we can start a bigger-than-life map.

It's not the small divisions I like curvy and full of panhandles, it's the bigger ones, ie. first and second level divisions. Smaller ones should have straight lines, but not be boxes.

British parishes do often have straight lines from field boundaries, but not usually very long ones.