Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

Warner-Amex announce the All-Music Network (1980)
September 13th, 1980: "Upside Down" - Diana Ross
September 20th, 1980: "Time" - Alan Parsons Project

Event: Warner-Amex Satellite Entertainment have announced their upcoming cable music channel All-Music Network (AMN), scheduled to launch in May 1981. Carol Burnett Show producer Bob Banner will be head of programming for the network. Through an agreement with Dick Clark Productions, AMN will be the exclusive home for American Bandstand reruns (ABC retains first-run rights at the moment), and a new variety series from the company will premiere on AMN during the summer.

High Voltage release Ride On (1980)
It is quite odd that "Another Brick in the Wall Part II" was #1 in January 1980 and then again in August. Not implausible, just odd.

That would be implausible. It might not be what happened though, the one in January might have been Part I. Part I hitting number one is kind of weird though.

September 27th, 1980: "Start!" - The Jam
October 4th, 1980: "Start!" - The Jam

Event: High Voltage release their first album since the death of singer Bon Scott on October 2nd. The album features a re-write and re-recording of one of the band's earlier songs Ride On, which the album is named for. The band has not hired a new singer to replace Bon Scott, and instead longtime bassist and secondary songwriter Lemmy Kilmister has become the band's lead vocalist in addition to playing bass. The album is a double album, and in addition to new tracks written primarily by Kilmister, the album features many tracks written by Scott before his death including the standouts Highway to Hell and Touch Too Much. Overall the album is intended to be a tribute to Scott, and features a picture of Scott on his motorcycle on the cover. The album was a massive commercial success and was even well received by critics who appear to have finally warmed up to the band. The album briefly tops the Billboard 200, would ultimately be certified 20x Platinum (or 2x Diamond) in the U.S. alone, and would remain on the Billboard 200 for a non-consecutive total of 391 weeks, over seven years. This makes Ride On one of the best selling albums of all time, and by far the best-selling album of the band's career.

-------------------------

uhW0gnQ.png

High Voltage - Ride On

All songs sung by Kilmister.

Side A

Have a Drink On Me (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
The Chase is Better Than the Catch (Kilmister/Young)
Fast and Loose (Kilmister/Young)
Stay Clean (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) (Scott/Young/Kilmister)

Side B

Jailbait (Kilmister/Young)
Girls Got Rhythm (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
Touch Too Much (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
Poison (Kilmister/Young)
Over the Top (Kilmister/Young)
Fire Fire (Kilmister/Young)

Side C

Dead Men Tell No Tales (Kilmister/Young)
Like a Nightmare (Kilmister/Young)
Shot Down in Flames (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
No Class (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
Love Me Like a Reptile (Kilmister/Young)

Side D

Highway to Hell (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
Ace of Spades (Kilmister/Young)
Bomber (Kilmister/Young)
Beating Around the Bush (Scott/Young/Kilmister)
Ride On (Scott/Young/Kilmister) (New lyrics and re-recorded)

The album briefly tops the Billboard 200, would ultimately be certified 20x Platinum (or 2x Diamond) in the U.S. alone, and would remain on the Billboard 200 for a non-consecutive total of 391 weeks, over seven years. This makes Ride On one of the best selling albums of all time, and by far the best-selling album of the band's career.

Holy moly. That is phenomenal.

Only nine albums have even done that IOTL.

"Another Brick in the Wall (Part. II)"

Confession: I really hate that song. While some claim that "Looking for freedom" made The Wall come down, I believe this made the Wall stay up for another 10 years.

;-)

Holy moly. That is phenomenal.

Only nine albums have even done that IOTL.

Yeah and Back in Black was one of them. I basically just made a blatant parallel of Back in Black but with mostly Motorhead songs XD

EDIT: I had it do a lot better in terms of the Billboard 200 though. Back in Black never hit number one and has no where near as many weeks on the chart.

Last edited:
Mo Udall wins re-election in the 1980 Presidential Election (1980)
October 25th, 1980: "Ashes to Ashes"- The Diamond Dogs
November 1st, 1980: "Ashes to Ashes"- The Diamond Dogs

Event: November 4th, 1980: President Mo Udall, riding on good economic conditions and a series of foreign policy successes with Secretary of State Robert Kennedy (including leveling sanctions on South Africa and pressuring reforms in Iran) and Vice President Lawton Chiles win re-election over Republican nominee former Texas Governor John Connally and Connecticut Senator Lowell Weicker.

The Jam sued by George Harrison, dropped by Reckless (1980)
November 15th, 1980: "Breaking the Law" - Judas Priest
November 22nd, 1980: "Yearning for Your Love" - The Gap Band

Event: George Harrison has come out of seclusion for the first time since the death of Eric Clapton. His sudden return is not a pleasant one however, Harrison has returned to the spotlight in order to sue punk band The Jam for alleged plagiarism of the hit Budgies song Taxman. Harrison alleges that the main bass and guitar riffs of The Jam's song Start! are near identical copies of the bass and guitar riffs from Taxman.

Reckless Records artist and ad exec Cherry Vanilla, speaking on behalf of the label has said "The day I first heard that song something was wrong about it, but I couldn't place it. I definitely think I can hear Taxman now that I think about it. The Jam directly copied it, it's a bad vibe, it's like if Frank Sinatra came back as a ghost. I mean sure he's back, but he doesn't have the same charisma you know. It's hard to be close and emotional when you're green and transparent. Anyway, Iggy won't stand for it and I agree with him. A lot of the board wanted to keep The Jam, but they are getting dropped from the label. I guess The Jam is on toast." Her bizarre interview is published just about everywhere, making Vanilla somewhat of a celebrity.

November 29th, 1980: "Do That to Me One More Time" - Barbra Streisand [1]

[1] Streisand scores her first number one hit with a song written by session keyboard player Toni Tennile.

January 31st, 1981: "Whip It" - Sextet Devo
February 7th, 1981: "One Hundred Ways" - Quincy Jones ft. Morris Day

I think Giorgio's mega-success a few years back might lead to more producer-fronted albums sooner than OTL.

Judas Priest release Troubleshooter (1981)
I know you guys probably think Judas Priest being so popular is ASB. Can you please listen to this song if you hold that opinion? Also Take On the World and United and Living After Midnight and Before the Dawn, etc.

February 28th, 1981: "One Hundred Ways" - Quincy Jones ft. Morris Day
March 7th, 1981: "Heading Out to the Highway" - Judas Priest

Event: Judas Priest release Troubleshooter on February 20th. The album is a large commercial success, and is eventually certified 6x Platinum. The album receives mixed reactions from critics, many of whom are finally beginning to warm up to the heavy metal style and are disappointed at Judas Priest's consistently more melodic and pop-oriented direction. The album features Queen's Brian May as a guest guitarist on two tracks: We Will Rock You and All the Way. The album also features a song originally written by May for Queen that was shelved, We Will Rock You, continuing Priest's close association with Queen.

Spotify

oN00Z5i.png

Judas Priest - Troubleshooter

Side A

Troubleshooter
We Will Rock You (Queen Cover)
All the Way
Desert Plains
Heading Out to the Highway
Running Wild

Side B

Rapid Fire
Saints in Hell
Killing Machine
You Say Yes
Turning Circles

I know you guys probably think Judas Priest being so popular is ASB. Can you please listen to this song if you hold that opinion? Also Take On the World and United and Living After Midnight and Before the Dawn, etc.

It's not ASB in this TL where hard rock in general is SO much more popular on the singles charts than IOTL.