AHC: North Korea-esque rogue state in Eastern Europe

Not in our timeline no... but they were nationalistic enough that, given two decades worth of butterflies, I can see them going over the tipping point. Especially if Milosevic takes some moves that alienate him from the West during the critical juncture of the early 90's.

In terms of attacking Russia, I don't see it that way: rather, they'd be attacking break-away parts of the Soviet Union in Belarus, Ukraine, and Lithuania (The former two possible in conjunction with the Russians, if Yeltsin's government falls early enough. Perhaps in response to a more spectacular Russian economic collapse in the early years of the new Republic. If not, you might end up with a rump Belarus and Ukraine that are either absorbed back into Russia or fall unavoidably into the Polish-Russian sphere). In Kaliningrad's case, I meant Crimea-esque in the sense that the Soviet government transfers the territory peacefully for the sake of good-will (or for whatever other reason: maybe its a symbolic concession to the West above moving back official Soviet military bases by just changing the flag to that of their client state). That's more to insure Poland dosen't have a reason to be alienated from Russia and so can have an understanding with them, thereby allowing the batshit hyper-nationalist government to hide under Moscow's nuclear umbrella.
In that case, anything's possible! Even an all out war between the former communist nations, in that case. It would be quite interesting to see what would happen if Russian-backed Poland starts invading minor countries. It could lead to restoration of Greater Poland and annexation of numerous territories (which would lead to insane sanctions, possibly NATO invasion), maybe even a European War.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you could really get a North Korea anywhere else in the world.

In Europe, you'd have humongous borders where everyone can escape if it gets too crazy. North Korea has only one way out, the Chinese border, which has a river and an army in the way. I don't think that you can replicate those conditions anywhere else, not to mention having a superpower backing it up for its own reason.

The Iron Curtain worked well enough for Eastern Europe until 1990. It wasn't perfect it but it kept most people in.

Interesting idea. And plausible. But Poland was not that nationalistic in the 90's as the West believes.
FRY would not survive the first decade of the new century, but it's the closest a single European regime ever got to North Korean style rule. Especially in the time of sanctions. That's when Milosevic could have swayed the voters with propaganda, and cut the civil liberties, practically establishing a regime which is in its core evil and totalitarian.
Poland was close to far right.
But I am sure they wouldn't dare to attack Russia, as it would be a horrible move.

For one thing it has to worry about the Russians coming back . Poland knows damn well it can't protect itself from Russia.

For one thing it has to worry about the Russians coming back . Poland knows damn well it can't protect itself from Russia.
Well yeah. That's why I think they would be careful, like North Korea. They would provoke literally everyone around them, but once NATO or Russia decide to get involved, the ultranationalist Poles would probably back off. Maybe try to please the Russians (like Belarus).
But that regime doesn't stand a chance of existing for more than a decade. It would lack stability, plus it's locked between superpowers (compared to them). I imagine Poland having, like, a million soldiers, and several nukes, but that's about it. Without nukes, and Russian support, it would be quite risky even to try to attack any of its neighbours.
Russia was systematically working on expanding it's influence on Poland for centuries. Once Poland breaks away, they could be isolationist and "independent", but they will end up becoming a Russian satellite, and serve as their barking dog. Russia will (especially under Putin) use Poland to test the West.
But if that doesn't happen, then the Polish regime would be doomed.
There is a small chance they would become something like Ukraine IRL. Essentially they would be a tampon zone between superpowers, and serve the West, while warmongering with the Russians. They would blame Russia and depend on foreign support until their regime collapses internally.

Well yeah. That's why I think they would be careful, like North Korea. They would provoke literally everyone around them, but once NATO or Russia decide to get involved, the ultranationalist Poles would probably back off. Maybe try to please the Russians (like Belarus).
But that regime doesn't stand a chance of existing for more than a decade. It would lack stability, plus it's locked between superpowers (compared to them). I imagine Poland having, like, a million soldiers, and several nukes, but that's about it. Without nukes, and Russian support, it would be quite risky even to try to attack any of its neighbours.
Russia was systematically working on expanding it's influence on Poland for centuries. Once Poland breaks away, they could be isolationist and "independent", but they will end up becoming a Russian satellite, and serve as their barking dog. Russia will (especially under Putin) use Poland to test the West.
But if that doesn't happen, then the Polish regime would be doomed.
There is a small chance they would become something like Ukraine IRL. Essentially they would be a tampon zone between superpowers, and serve the West, while warmongering with the Russians. They would blame Russia and depend on foreign support until their regime collapses internally.

I don't see that happening. The Poles really don't want to end up being recolonized by Russia. They piss off the West too much and that is what will happen and they know it.

I don't see that happening. The Poles really don't want to end up being recolonized by Russia. They piss off the West too much and that is what will happen and they know it.
Then the second scenario it is. Still less plausible then dictatorial Yugoslavia in its darkest days (90's) becoming totalitarian.

Made a thread on a "Juche Romania" a few weeks ago. Romania is definitely the most plausible, although keeping the regime in power past the fall of the Soviet Union is definitely a challenge. There's also the possibility of a major war with Moldova and whatever allies Moldova can find in the 90s. If war is somehow averted, they'll be yelling threats of war at all their neighbours every week, and probably eventually get nukes too since Romania had a nuclear program.

Consider that Ceausescu was inspired by Kim Il-Sung in OTL. A post-Soviet communist Romania might as well go the same route as North Korea and become even more ultranationalist than it already was.

The best help is getting Yeltsin out of there and getting either the Communist Party or the LDPR in power.

I know the POD is 1970, but what if we go further back, and a different Treaty of Sevres/Turkish War of Independence ends with an independent 'Byzantium Successor' state in East Thrace? The state could be driven by 'Byzantium' reunification, making enemies of both Greece and Turkey. Being surrounded by enemies would force them to become heavily militarized- then in the 50's Greece or Turkey (maybe both) find a casus belli to declare war- and East Thrace fights a vicious campaign- perhaps aided by Russia? Some hero of the war become the Supreme Leader- setting up a cult of personality (The Marble Emperor returned!) The government is able to use the heavily fortified borders to keep people from leaving, the delicate balance of power in the area- East Thrace serving as a buffer state for Greece and Turkey, and ensuring no one state controls both sides of the Bosporus, meanwhile the state hates everyone near them, and puts huge %'s of its GDP towards the military.

This way you have almost all the things N. Korea that makes it what is is... except an extremely homogeneous population, but maybe some population tranfers before they became too crazy would help?

The issue here is that te DPRK has a sponsor and a reason to exist -- China and to be a buffer state against the US allies of SK and Japan, respectively.
For a former Warsaw Pact dictatorship to survive would require both of these justifications.
Well, a more belligerant Russian Federation (like one led by Vladimir Zhrinovsky) could fulfill the PRC's role.

Well, Belarus also inherited a few nukes from the former USSR IIRC, so if they didn't hand over said nukes, they could have become a NK-esque rogue state.
For 1. Belarus didn't want the nukes, 2 Belarusians are generally pretty peaceful people, they have had their share of bullshit poured upon them. 3. The greatest enemies of Belarus are 1. Belarus and 2. its largest neighbor. who it just happened to become independent from.
4. it was a requirement to give up the nukes or at least asked nicely < cough cough> . it was bad enough the soviet union was falling apart, but a whole crap ton of newly independent nuclear powered nations with an axe to grind wasn't a great idea.

Honestly, you would need a revanchist Poland and Lithuania and in which case others would tell both Poland and Lithuania where to go screw themselves. Belarus prides its claims on being greater Lithuania, because well. it was the largest territorial part of old Lithuania.

Belarus is a lot of things, North Korea its not. ( even after decades of sanctions ) if it was so bad it would just be reabsorbed into Russia. Belarus may not be exactly the model of western life ( and that may not always be a bad thing) , but it is quite far removed from being a tin pot crap hole that north korea is.

if they had to have nukes, then I guess you would need to choose an ex SSR.. otherwise you need population and resources to actually be a threat. if you just want to be a shit hole.. go to transnitra
Have Romania survive under communism.

Its just if it was that bad in Belarus.. they would have been absorbed. the difference is that the north Koreans fear the Chinese as well.. hence why they are the hermit kingdom. they don't like china, they don't like Russians, they don't like the west..

the ex SSR's Russia included learned a valuable lesson from the collapse of the USSR. bread and circus and provide western goods. keep the population distracted. ( same thing used in the west )

Belarus would have collapsed in the late 90's if it pulled a north kroea

Last edited: