The Crumble of America: A European influenced America TL

The Crumble of America

IOTL, the 1860’s saw many conflicts on the Western Hemisphere, as the American Civil War (1861-1865), the Chincha Islands War (1865-1866), the French Intervention in Mexico (1861-1867) and the Dominican Restoration War (1863-1865). This four wars, IOTL were terribly awful for the European nations, as the Mexicans defeated the French puppet Second Mexican Empire, the Union won the Civil War, the Spanish were ousted of the Hispaniola and failed to obtain the Chincha Islands from Peru.

But what if, the British and Spanish forces don’t withdraw from Mexico in 1862, further improving their alliance to achieve and secure their imperialist ends in the New World, halting the US' way into becoming a superpower, and maintaining European influence in the New World?

I will try to start uploading soon, but for now, tell me what you think about this.

Introduction: A nation that failed

After gaining their independence from Spain in 1821, Mexico became an unstable country. It faced constant inner conflicts between the liberal and conservative factions. The liberals favoured the ideas of the Enlightenment, while the conservatives wanted a strong centralized government, keeping the power of the church and some of them wanted an European-style monarchy. Also, Mexico faced separatist insurgencies in Texas, Yucatán and Coahuila-Nuevo León, and to make things worse, the United States annexed half of Mexico’s territory in 1848, after Mexico lost the Mexican-American War. As a result from this political, economical and social instability, Mexico had 50 governments from 1821 to 1857.

0pBeL5hZzxmOy3Ody091TUg2xMof_M_-ktGjOTeEXRCaX8kCDYA5B5Iju-WEfA-DlRQyASz6H-nuJQpYJT71ATID-un3NnyjYFGyDNBjUvQrWzYnikOEYD7YqvW9PXkdx-mf3pgB

Mexican land lost between 1836 & 1853

The liberals would finally obtain control of Mexico after ousting dictator Antonio López de Santa Ana under the Plan of Ayutla. Juan Álvarez, a high ranking military officer and Governor from the state of Guerrero, was appointed President of Mexico. Many liberals returned from their exile in the US. Some radical liberals, such as Benito Juárez, or Miguel Lerdo de Tejada, were appointed to important posts in the new Liberal government.

The first of the Liberal Reform Laws were passed in 1855. The Juárez Law, named after Benito Juárez, then Minister of Justice, restricted clerical privileges, specifically the authority of Church courts, by subordinating their authority to civil law. It was conceived of as a moderate measure, rather than abolishing church courts altogether.
juan-n-alvarez.jpg

Mexican President Juan Álvarez

The next Reform Law was called the Lerdo law, after Miguel Lerdo de Tejada, Minister of Developement. Under this new law the government began to confiscate Church land. This proved to be considerably more controversial than the Juárez Law. The purpose of the law was to convert lands held by corporate entities such as the Church into private property, favoring those who already lived on it. It was thought that this would encourage development and the government could raise revenue by taxing the process. More laws towards the Church were passed, like the Iglesias Law and the Law for the Nationalization of Ecclesiastical Properties. Each of the Reform Laws met strong resistance from Conservatives, the Church and the military, culminating in military action and war.

Opposition to the Lerdo Law and the 1857 Constitution culminated in a takeover of Mexico City by Conservative forces. This operation was called the Plan of Tacubaya. When the military took control of Mexico City, then president Ignacio Comonfort agreed to the Plan’s terms, but Benito Juárez, then president of the Supreme Court, defended the 1857 Constitution. Juárez was arrested. Comonfort was subsequently forced to resign and Gen. Félix Zuloaga was put in his place. After arriving in Mexico City, Zuloaga’s supporters closed Congress and arrested liberal politicians, preparing to write a new constitution for the country.

The Plan of Tacubaya deeply divided the country, with each state deciding whether to support the Liberals' 1857 Constitution or the Conservatives' takeover of Mexico City. Juárez escaped prison and fled to the city of Querétaro. He was recognized as the Liberals' interim president. As Zuloaga and the army took over more of the central part of Mexico, Juárez and his government were forced to the city of Veracruz. From there the Liberal government had control over the state of Veracruz and a number of allied states in the north and central-west. The Liberal government would be located in Veracruz from 1858-61.
1200px-1858_Mexico_Map_Civil_War_Divisions.svg.png

In blue, the Conservative controled states, in red, the liberal states.

Full hostilities between Liberal and Conservative forces raged from 1858-60. The Conservatives controlled Mexico City, but not Veracruz. Twice in 1860 Conservative forces under Gen. Miguel Miramón tried to take the city but failed. From there Juárez directed the opposition movement, from which the Liberals obtained supplies and money through duties received in the port city.

At the beginning of the war Liberal leaders and armies lacked the military experience of the Conservatives, who were backed by Mexico’s official military. However, as hostilities continued, Liberal forces gained experience and obtained aid from the US that would eventually enable victories for the Liberal side. In the same year Conservative forces were defeated in Oaxaca and Guadalajara. In December 1860 Gen. Miramón surrendered outside of Mexico City. Liberal forces reoccupied the capital on 1 January 1861, with Benito Juárez joining them a week later. Despite the Liberals regaining control of the capital, bands of Conservative guerrillas operated in rural areas. Miramón went into exile to Cuba and Europe. Juárez’s interim presidency was confirmed by his election in March 1861. However, the Liberals' celebrations of 1861 were short-lived. The war had severely damaged Mexico’s infrastructure and crippled its economy. While the Conservatives had been defeated, they would not disappear, the Juárez government had to respond to pressures from these factions and Mexico was in debt to some European nations, who wanted their debts paid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only the introduction of my TL, as it sets the stage of the French Intervention in Mexico. Tell me your first impressions.

Chapter 1: A nation on debt and war.

After the Reform War, Mexico had debts to the the United Kingdom, France and Spain. The Mexican Government, led by Benito Juárez, suspended loan payments to foreign countries on July 17th 1861. In response, the governments of France, the United Kingdom and Spain arranged a meeting in order to address a course of action towards obtaining loan repayments from Mexico.

From September 23rd 1861, diplomats of the three nations began at London, capital of the United Kingdom. Francisco Javier de Istúriz y Montero assisted on behalf of the Kingdom of Spain, while Earl John Russell represented the United Kingdom and comte Charles Joseph was sent by the Second French Empire. The three powers agreed to invade Mexico and replace its government with an European-friendly regime. The issue of the American Civil War was briefly discussed and delayed until the three powers gained a foothold over Mexico. On October 31st 1861, Queen Victoria I of the United Kingdom, Emperor Napoleon III of France and Queen Isabella II of Spain signed the Pact of London, a military alliance between the three powers with the goal of securing their influence on the New World.

Between December 8th and December 17th 1861, Spanish, French and British troops landed at Veracruz, wanting to pressure the Mexicans into paying their debts. On December 17th, the Spanish fleet seized the San Juan de Ulúa and the city of Veracruz. The armies of the Pact of London then went on to seize Orizaba, Cordoba and Tehuacán. The French fleet seized the city of Campeche on February 27th 1862. After the French Army arrived at the American continent on March 5th, the forces of the Pact of London wanted to secure the coastal areas before advancing towards the interior.

As the invading forces were achieving victories over the Mexican Army, the popularity of Juárez’s Government fell. The Mexican Parliament tried to impeach Benito Juárez, but Juárez won by one single vote (52 to 51). Juárez’s Government tried to negotiate with the invading government, as Manuel Doblado, Minister of Foreign Affairs kept in contact with French, British and Spanish diplomats. At the end, negotiations between the Mexican Government and the Western Powers failed, as the Western Powers had other plans for Mexico.

Thus, on May 2nd 1862, French forces under Charles de Lorencez and Spanish troops under command of Juan Prim led an attack on Puebla. The Mexican Army, led by Ignacio de Zaragoza, was harshly defeated. The Mexican defeat at Puebla let the invading forces at 100 kilometers from the capital, Mexico City. The French leadership wanted to attack Mexico City next, but the British and Spanish decided to wait and secure their territory. Between May and September of 1862, the forces of the Pact of London took Southern Mexico and most of Central Mexico. It was at this time that the Second London Convention took place.

The Pact of London had the intention of installing a Mexican regime friendly to Europe, and considered installing a constitutional monarchy. Queen Isabella II of Spain wanted one of her daughters as Empress of Mexico, but the French refused. The British considered Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, who had previously been King Consort and Regent of Portugal, but the Spanish and French refused it. The chosen was the Archduke Maximilian of Austria. Maximilian, like the Mexican people, was catholic, was young, his brother was Emperor of Austria and had children, was rather liberal and him as Emperor of Mexico could reconcile France and Austria and bring Austria’s support in the war. Maximilian, along with his brother Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, agreed to the plan.

Having the perfect candidate for the Mexican throne, the armies of the Pact of London headed from Puebla to Mexico City on September 15th 1862, marching through the Mexican capital on September 20th 1862. The night before the takeover of Mexico City, Benito Juárez fled the capital and went to Chihuahua, along with his cabinet. Archduke Maximilian, along with 5,000 men, arrived to Veracruz on December 12. Maximilian laid down all his claims to the Austrian throne and was crowned Maximilian I, Emperor of Mexico, the night of December 25 1862. The Mexican conservatives, along with the Church, recognized him as Emperor, while the liberals continued fighting.

After a year of fighting, the Pact of London had achieved the proposed goals of the Convention celebrated months prior to the war. But the war still raged on. But France, Spain and Britain wanted to make sure Maximilian I remained on his throne, they knew they had to finish off Juárez’s Government, that had fled to Chihuahua after the fall of Mexico City, but most importantly, the Pact of London really needed was to make sure the United States wouldn’t intervene in the conflict, as the Invasion of Mexico was a clear violation of the Monroe Doctrine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the first chapter of my TL “Crumble of America”. The POD, which is in this chapter, is that Britain and Spain agree to make Mexico into a puppet state. Thus, the French Intervention of Mexico (I need another name for this conflict ITTL, if anyone could give my one) is far more successful. Please tell me your impressions on this. I want to continue, but first I want to see if anyone is actually reading (and liking) it.

Last edited:
I've been contemplating (and working) a TL with a surviving Mexican Empire for a while now, shame you beat me to the punch. In all seriousness good luck, so far looks very good!

Subscribed!

Not to nitpick the title to much, but I think crumble as a noun only refers to desserts. I'll still read this, though.

Well I must say I do not like Maximilian's chances for a stable reign. I think Mexico is past the point where the population would be resigned to a regime such as this. And once the CSA is brought back into the American fold "Throwing the rascals out" will become a priority officially or unofficially.

And did you say Maximilian has children? I was under the oppression he had no offspring but did adopt two of Iturbide's descendants.

Well I must say I do not like Maximilian's chances for a stable reign. I think Mexico is past the point where the population would be resigned to a regime such as this. And once the CSA is brought back into the American fold "Throwing the rascals out" will become a priority officially or unofficially.

That is assuming that the CSA is brought back into the American fold. Given the name of the TL. ;)

RIP the monroe doctrine. In this world it'd be treated as seriously as an SNL skit.

The question is why, though. I got the sense that the French concealed their intentions IOTL, and the alliance failed when they became known. That raises the question of what the British and Spanish find attractive about this proposal.

That is assuming that the CSA is brought back into the American fold. Given the name of the TL. ;)

Well it was always an uphill battle for the South OTL. And I would think being invested in Mexico would make the Alliance less likely to throw valuable resources to the CSA. Upholding slavery was not a popular sell at home with the masses or even many elites.

Hmm, the most I could possibly see would be propping up an independent Texas on the condition it abolished slavery; smaller scale and buffer state. And I don't see such a move being accepted by the Americans would see a republic of Texas as no different a treason from the CSA; or the Texans being willing to concede in time.

The question is why, though. I got the sense that the French concealed their intentions IOTL, and the alliance failed when they became known. That raises the question of what the British and Spanish find attractive about this proposal.
I think it would be because people would not take the US' claim seriously. It was a lofty claim, after all, and you need to be able to at least look like you could back it up. No one would believe the US at all here.