Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet: T.E Lawrence's proposed map for post-war Arabia.

Lawrence_of_Arabia's_map,_presented_to_the_Eastern_Committee_of_the_War_Cabinet_in_November_1918.jpg

...Is that a modern-day Cilician Armenia?

I believe it is. A rather ambitious take on total Ottoman collapse. Combining this with the more ambitious French and Russian plans in Europe and the Treaty of Sevres may make for a good "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy"-style total Entente victory.

I've been doing some reading on the 1898 Fashoda Incident. There isn't much details on competing claims. The OTL settlement of the Anglo-French agreements of 1898 and 1899 appear to meet the British aims of control over the Nile River basin and the Upper Nile area. The French objectives were to have a foothold on the Nile, and that the French claim appears to comprise the Bahr-el-Ghazal region of Sudan. Particularly the Northern and Eastern boundaries being the Bahr-el-Arab river, the Bahr-el-Ghazal river and the left bank of the Nile River and the Southern boundary OTL's boundary between South Sudan and Congo-Kinsasha with the Lado Enclave, per the 1894 French-Congo Boundary Agreement.

Such a proposal - with a mega-Armeniawank - happens in the game in my siggy. However, currently, the state is being invaded (though, it was Nazi-level genocidal towards Muslims, esp. Turks, for decades).

The most people of Turk ethnicity by now live in über-Cascadia...

The "Afrikanerland" proposal seems comparable in total area (IIRC the proponents of the plan explicitly set the proportion of land area equal to the proportion of the White population of South Africa), but yeah.
Well Stellaland is their more "realistic" proposal, nothing like what is shown on that first map, but I'm not sure how it compares to the former Bantustans.

A propaganda poster created in 1917/1918. The text at the top reads approx. "War Goals of the Entente after the Secret Treaties".
(crossposted from the Map Thread)
I'll try to make a QBAM/Worlda version of this ~~soon~~ some day.

00000001.jpg

Last edited:
Was just reminded of this thread and had just found this pick while looking some stuff on the Assyrians. Thought it might be worth a gander.

The Assyrian delegations' request at the Paris Peace Conference:

Map_of_Assyria_Paris_Peace_Conference_1919.jpg

I didnt know this :hushedface::hushedface::hushedface::hushedface::hushedface::hushedface::hushedface:

They were summarily ignored by the British. I think the British actively blocked the Assyrian delegation from attending (though I don't know if it's the Paris Peace Conference or a different one). A lovely way to treat the group that you promised a homeland if they just fought for your side.

But, well, the British were allied to the Arabs wanted Mosul, and Mosul had sweet, sweet oil.

To be fair, I think even in 1918 that area would be about 5% Assyrian.

Well, all of the homeland proposals were huge. It doesn't excuse the British from completely preventing them from attending the conference.

Also, it's doubtful that there are 12 million people in that small region (the population of the Ottoman Empire (the main portion roughly corresponding to modern day Turkey and northeastern Syria, not the Arab sections, was 18.5 million in 1914, roughly). There were 600,000 Assyrians, Chaldeans, and other Syriac-speaking people in the Ottoman Empire

Granted, by 1918, it might be 5% Assyrian, if only because the Turks and the Kurds wiped out about half of them and drove many of them out (they even invaded Persia and destroyed many Assyrian villages in the west of Lake Urmia.

Yeah, it looks more like a Kurdistan to me.

Already addressed part of this in the post before. See:

Well, all of the homeland proposals were huge. It doesn't excuse the British from completely preventing them from attending the conference.

Also, it's doubtful that there are 12 million people in that small region (the population of the Ottoman Empire (the main portion roughly corresponding to modern day Turkey and northeastern Syria, not the Arab sections, was 18.5 million in 1914, roughly). There were 600,000 Assyrians, Chaldeans, and other Syriac-speaking people in the Ottoman Empire

Granted, by 1918, it might be 5% Assyrian, if only because the Turks and the Kurds wiped out about half of them and drove many of them out (they even invaded Persia and destroyed many Assyrian villages in the west of Lake Urmia.

Also, EVERY nation showed their maximum claims where, at that point, they negotiated down to their actual borders. Compare the proposed borders for Armenia by their delegation vs the Wilsonian Armenia borders.

Armenia_in_Paris_Peace_Conference_1919.jpg

Yes, that entire region wasn't Armenian, but those were their claims. They received less than half of that region. It's the same as in any negotiation. you start from your highest/largest bids and then negotiate down from there. (Also, note the Hakkiari on the map. This is in reference to the proposed Assyrian state).

I took a swing at making an M-BAM victorious Nazi Germany. Just an early WIP, I plan to add administrative subdivisions at some point:
nazi germany.png

Already addressed part of this in the post before. See:

Also, EVERY nation showed their maximum claims where, at that point, they negotiated down to their actual borders. Compare the proposed borders for Armenia by their delegation vs the Wilsonian Armenia borders.

Armenia_in_Paris_Peace_Conference_1919.jpg

Yes, that entire region wasn't Armenian, but those were their claims. They received less than half of that region. It's the same as in any negotiation. you start from your highest/largest bids and then negotiate down from there. (Also, note the Hakkiari on the map. This is in reference to the proposed Assyrian state).

Clearly someone should have tried to build a combination Armenian-Kurdish state to fill the area, and keep them united by making sure the Turks hated them and wanted to invade... that's a good plan for long term stability.

Imagine if post-Ottoman, a Kurd-Armenia-Chaldea-state had been assembled (kind of like how Pakistan was an amalgam of three regions that didn't really have all that much in common beyond religion).

Kurtchalstan, anyone?

Clearly someone should have tried to build a combination Armenian-Kurdish state to fill the area, and keep them united by making sure the Turks hated them and wanted to invade... that's a good plan for long term stability.

Heh. Definitely. But I definitely could see it bandied about.

Imagine if post-Ottoman, a Kurd-Armenia-Chaldea-state had been assembled (kind of like how Pakistan was an amalgam of three regions that didn't really have all that much in common beyond religion).

Kurtchalstan, anyone?

That sounds lovely; pairing two ethnic groups with another one that spent most of the war working with the Turks to exterminate them. At least Pakistan has the religious similarities going on.

Granted, an Armeno-Chaldean state does sound possible, at least in theory, but runs into the problems of Armenian domination (a minor problem) and Russian sponsorship/leanings (a larger one for the British).