Kat's reaction, including wiping the knife off on JFK's shirt and being glad she didn't get blood on her nice dress was awesome. I can visualize the smirk quite well.

I wonder what Daddy Joe will make JFK do to help atone for the family's shame, and I'm really curious what the favor he now owes the Germans will end up being.
On an amusing line of thinking, methinks that Jack will become QUITE more respectful of females and a bit less of a playboy after he got the closest to Death through a pissed Kraut Redhead.

On an amusing line of thinking, methinks that Jack will become QUITE more respectful of females and a bit less of a playboy after he got the closest to Death through a pissed Kraut Redhead.

It's possible to be respectful of women and still be a playboy. It's just extremely difficult because you have to let them know you're a playboy and you don't intend on staying with just them.

Part 19, Chapter 205
Chapter Two Hundred five

1st August 1940

Manly, Sydney, New South Wales

Kat was sitting in the guest bedroom trying to plow her way through the books that were required reading ahead of the Winter term. It was a slow slog with books related to dull theory and esoteric subjects. Kat couldn’t help but notice that the authors of the books frequently just happened to be the professors of the classes she was planning on taking. All just a coincidence, Kat was sure that’s what the University would say if Kat asked about it.

The feeling of triumph on Sunday night had swiftly faded into dark depression on Monday morning. Maria and Emil had said nothing, they just gave Kat her space. While nothing had seemed to come of the incident in front of the hotel Kat had noticed that the Australians who normally shadowed her had become afraid to come within a kilometer of her. Kat wondered where they had been when she needed them.

There was a knock on the door. “Someone to see you Kat” Maria said, Maria didn’t sound too thrilled. Odd, Kat didn’t really know anyone outside this house. When she went to the market or down to the beach she frequently came into contact with people but she was finding her inability to communicate to be frustrating. Maria had advised her that Rome wasn’t built in a day, still though Kat found being immersed in an English-speaking environment every day to be exhausting.

Kat put down the book she’d been reading, she’d been making no progress on it anyway, and walked out to the parlor. Colonel Townsend and a man wearing a grey suit who Kat had never seen before were speaking with Emil.

The man looked over and smiled “It’s rare that I meet my counterparts in other nation's services, Dame Katherine” he said, he spoke German with a formal, educated accent. In spite of herself Kat became aware that she was wearing an old, tattered sweater and a pair of trousers that she had cut off at the knees and altered to fit her after Hans had outgrown them. She looked awful, even by her own loose standards.

“I’m not your counterpart” Kat said, “I quit.”

“Those two ruffians who got their just deserts at your hands only attempted such a rash action because you can’t just quit” The man said, “Am I correct in assuming that I’m not the first one to tell you that?”

It felt like the temperature in the room dropped several degrees as the look on Kat’s face hardened. “What do you want?” Kat spat at them.

“I’m just here to extend my apologies for what happened” The man said, “And to let you know that we currently have no interest in seeing you deported.”

“You have to know that I’m going home next week” Kat said.

The man just shrugged “Yes, but the day may come when you wish to come back.”

“And what caused you decide that I would be welcome” Kat said.

“The hope that our respective governments can continue their recent cooperation” The man said, “Have a good day.”

With that Townsend and the man in the grey suit left. Maria closed the front day “That went better than I’d hoped” She said with an attempted smile. Then she noticed that Emil was stone-faced and Kat was unhappy.

“Why can’t people just leave me alone?” Kat asked.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Would you mind telling me what that was about?” Colonel Townsend asked as he got into the car.

“I was getting a measure of the girl” The man in the grey suit said as the driver of the car they were riding in pulled out, “We had determined that she was no threat in spite of her evident ability. I just wanted to make sure she is actually genuine in her resolve to leave her old life behind.”

“And what was your conclusion?”

“Yes and no” The man said, “She wants to be an ordinary University student but she likely wouldn’t have ever made it there if she had stayed in whatever hole they first found her in.”

“Whatever hole” Townsend said, “She’s been identified by her own government as a noblewoman of sorts.”

The man in the grey suit gave a slight smile “I suspect that is artifice, Katherine is likely not even her real name. There are some words she used and an accent slips through that suggests she’s actually from a working-class neighborhood in Central Germany. Berlin if I had to guess” He said.

“Tell why we are pretending that this is no big deal?”

“Because some things are nearly impossible to fake” The man said as he pulled a photograph from a file in his briefcase and handed it to Townsend. It was of the same girl they had talked to moments earlier though it took Townsend a minute to figure out that it was the same person. She was disheveled, covered in dust and clinging to a young soldier who was half a head taller than her. The look on her face was one of shock, bewilderment and fear. Townsend couldn’t tell due to the monochrome nature of the photograph but it looked like there was dried blood in the ear that was visible. “That was taken shortly after the Reichstag was leveled and General Holz said that she was turned out by Abwehr because of that event. This supports that.”

“And we’re going to take his word for that?” Townsend asked, “Do I need to remind you who we are talking about here?”

“Of course not” The man said, “But until we know exactly why a high ranking German officer has an assassin close at hand we play along and keep a close eye.”

“My son is that girl’s age…” Townsend said.

“The same son who was caught flat footed as that girl disabled two trained operatives in seconds” The man said “Katherine, or whatever her name really is, is the sort who men want to protect, someone’s little sister. It’s probably the very reason she was recruited in the first place.”

Last edited:
And enter the misunderstandings...

Sure but from their point of view its a reasonable set of assumptions. Any organization should abide by two maxims, "Never underestimate an opponent" and "Always be prepared for the worst case". So Kat may well be telling the truth and is a retired spy (if there is such a thing which is... open to interpretation) but what if she isn't? Best to be on the safe side and gather what information you can.

Well, it's not like the Secret Services are made of trusting, optimistic people. They've got a girl with advanced training and no hesitation in CQC, who has been taught to act outside of her normal environment, and who definitely worked at one time for another secret service (what would any operative do, admit being on the clock?).
She's too public to be a spying for information and her stay is too short to set up a spy ring, so she's either an agent provocatrice, an assassin, or a distraction from the real Abwehr operation. What, do the Germans think British/Australian Intelligence officers are that naive to believe she's here on vacantion :rolleyes:?

Well whoever this man in the grey suit may be, I think he will later regret not believing the actual truth and this may assist Germany down the road. They have yet again underestimated just who Kat is and where she comes from.

Yes, "mugging" gone wrong. You bet that this little incident will talked over a lot in certain circles. I mean the Aussie Military/Intelligence/Diplomatic had all somebody in the area.
I think the Rep of Kat will go through the roof. As soon as she is showing up in some place, a lot of people will start wondering, what kind of shit is happening in "that" place and how high the body count will be.

If intelligence agencies get that sort if idea, then encouraging Kat to go places where nothing is happening can work to the Abwher's advantage, drawing attention from things elsewhere. It also might stir things up where she goes, as others wonder, "Why is SHE here?"

I think it will even get worse for Kat, The German (Gossip) Press / Movie Directors know about here, she is a beautiful woman, a secret agent, has friends in high places, a connection with "The German Action Hero Jochem Loewe". Who is willing to bet that a female charcter, just like her will be making a debut in a Movie very soon. What happend in Australia will be talked about, if it has any resemblance with the actual event, it will be pure happenstance.

Last edited:
Sure but from their point of view its a reasonable set of assumptions. Any organization should abide by two maxims, "Never underestimate an opponent" and "Always be prepared for the worst case". So Kat may well be telling the truth and is a retired spy (if there is such a thing which is... open to interpretation) but what if she isn't? Best to be on the safe side and gather what information you can.

I was more referring to "The High-Ranking official who keeps a trained assassin at hand". But yes, you are correct, best to be prepared for anything. Though someone as thoroughly exposed as Kat is completely useless for any sort of spy work.

Her name is Mischner, Kat Mischner in service of his Majesty's Secret Service, 007 of WW43B.
I would find it funny if Kat became a German James Bond version.;)

I was more referring to "The High-Ranking official who keeps a trained assassin at hand". But yes, you are correct, best to be prepared for anything. Though someone as thoroughly exposed as Kat is completely useless for any sort of spy work.
Even an exposed one still has it's uses, even if as a red herring. But yes, virtually all spies we hear or read about end with 'he/she was deported/executed/imprisoned/has defected, etc.' We know of few who just retired after the end of their career. That doesn't mean there aren't any - just that the best ones we won't even know about, they will work in anonimity, and retire in the same anonimity as before.

Even an exposed one still has it's uses, even if as a red herring. But yes, virtually all spies we hear or read about end with 'he/she was deported/executed/imprisoned/has defected, etc.' We know of few who just retired after the end of their career. That doesn't mean there aren't any - just that the best ones we won't even know about, they will work in anonimity, and retire in the same anonimity as before.

The old "look at my right hand" while the left hand is doing something nefarious. Good point.

I don't see Kat as wanting to continue with the Abwher, and she has the social rank now, if she uses it, to tell them "NO!" That might even be what gets her to accept her social rank, or at least see it as not a total burden--being able to make the Abwher leave her alone. If the movies based loosely on her actions help other women, simply by showing a successful female action hero, Kat might even (eventually) forgive the film people.

A previously poor Berliner being this exalted might also give a boost to poor everywhere, films or not.

After this scene, a lot of foreign offices/state departments might not want her in their country--but her noble status might make refusing her a visa a bad thing, diplomatically, if Germany wants an excuse to raise tension--or if a journalist wants to create a story on a slow news week

Part 19, Chapter 206
Chapter Two Hundred Six

3rd August 1940

Manly, Sydney, New South Wales

Maria had watched with dismay and disappointment as Kat retreated from the world again. While Maria understood that that Kat would never be an extravert she’d been hopeful that Kat would build on the progress of the last few weeks. It had been Emil who had explained what the problem was. Kat was a lot like Emil’s sisters, growing up imprisoned by expectations of class and gender. Barefoot, pregnant and chained to stove wasn’t a joke in Kat’s world, it was exactly where she was supposed to have ended up by now. She had managed to break free from that only to find herself in a different sort of prison. To spy agencies around the world Kat had become the face of Abwehr. Ironically it was an organization she’d never been a full member of, had repeatedly walked away from and continued to be exploited by.

As the current commander of operations in the Pacific region Emil had been briefed after the fact on a series of recently concluded Abwehr operations. That activity had gone undetected largely because all eyes had been on Kat. It had been effective enough that the personal assistant to the Director of British Naval Intelligence had come all the way from London to see what was going on, the man in the grey suit.

Maria could tell that Emil was repulsed by what had happened and the role they had unknowingly played. Her first instinct was to blow the whole story wide open but then she realized why Emil had told her and why she couldn’t do that. As it stood now Kat was seen as the mysterious heroine, strong, tough and independent. The truth would reveal just how broken she was. It would also reveal her as fit only to play decoy while the real action went on somewhere else. Worse of all it was obvious that the people who had been tricked this way wouldn’t lay the blame on the faceless men who used Kat as a catspaw. And all Kat wanted was to be left alone, either way that would never happen.

“I know you want to sit in darkness all day but we need you to get ready for tonight” Maria said from the hallway.

“Tonight?” Kat asked.

“Yes, tonight” Maria said, “You don’t have to be dressed up because this is totally informal and you won’t need to bother with any weapons this time you’ll be in friendly company, I swear.”

Kat poked her head out the door, “I’m going home in a few days” She said, “Just let me finish being the worst guest ever in peace.”

“I can’t let you do that on your birthday Kat” Maria said.

“What?” Kat said.

“3rd of August every year” Maria said, “You might want to pretend otherwise but other people remember, you can even come out dressed out like that.”

Kat was dressed like how she had for the last few days, old sweater and cut off trousers. At least she had taken the time to brush out her hair today. Maria grabbed Kat by the arm and pulled her along. There was the smell of food coming from the kitchen and there were a few people standing around.

Kat was wondering what was happening? As Kat was lead out the back door, it was just after sunset and she could feel the ground was still warm from the day’s sun under her bare feet. She saw several people standing around a fire on the beach. Who were these people?

“About time you showed your face” A familiar voice said, Kat saw that it was Fritz Schaffer in the fire light.

“What are you doing here?” Kat asked.

“I got tired of skulking in the shadows so I went back to the Paras” Schaffer said “They had me out in the bush teaching the Aussies some new ways to cause trouble, as if they needed help. The other day I hear talk of how this redheaded wisp of a girl cuts her way out of a tight spot. I figured that since you’re in town I’d better visit.”

As it turned out these people were all from the economic and military mission. They were a small community and Kat’s birthday was the perfect excuse to get together. This had come as a surprise to Kat. In spite of her determination to be miserable earlier she found herself having fun. Later when they were having an informal dinner on the back-porch Emil had stopped everything for a toast.

“As you all know it’s Katherine’s birthday today” Emil said, “To congratulate her on now being legal let’s have a drink and she can finally join us and not have it be on the sly.”

A glass of champagne was thrust into Kat’s hand and she took a sip. “This is terrible” she said, this was greeted with a round of laughter.

Later as the party was winding down Schaffer approached Kat. “We got something special for you” He said, “You might want to put shoes on for this.” Shaffer slipped something into her hands. Kat looked and saw that it was a teargas grenade.

“I heard you had a roach problem and figured you’d want the honors” Schaffer said, “Understand that whatever anyone says you’ll always be one of us and by that I don’t mean Schultz’s little club, I mean this outfit.”

Kat noticed that there were a half dozen Paras around them and Emil had disappeared. Generals have a sixth sense as to when the enlisted were up to no good, by making himself scarce Emil was giving his tacit approval. Minutes later they were gliding wrath-like through yards and down the side streets avoiding the pools of light and keeping careful watch in all directions. There was a car parked on the street overlooking Emil and Maria’s house. The windows were rolled down and Kat could hear a radio playing.

“Think you can get close enough to get it through the window?” Schaffer asked.

“In my sleep” Kat said as she started to move forward swiftly but silently. She got to the back bumper of the car without being seen. She couldn’t help but smile as she worked the cotter pin out of the grenade, she kept her thumb on the spoon as she crept along the side of the car keeping watch on the side mirror in case the driver saw her. She threw the grenade through the window and ran. Kat heard a bunch of cussing and the sound of the grenade going off. She didn’t stop running until she rejoined the Paras then turned and watched. There were three of them. The usual two watchers and the same man who’d been wearing the grey suit the other night were staggering out of the car that had gas pouring out of the doors and windows.

Schaffer saw that and chuckled. “You got that prick Fleming as well” Schaffer said slapping Kat on the shoulder, “Well done.”

As they disappeared into the night Kat realized that this was the perfect present she could have had. Taking one back from the bastards.

Last edited:
Oh Yeah, I'll bet he is "Shaken" and being seen by his boss, that a little girl is able to take him out (if she whished to) will have him "Stirred". I think Commander Bond will have a much greater respect for females in this Timeline.

The Director of British Naval Intelligence, will be keeping an Weather Eye on her "activities". She just has given him an personal performance of her skills, this will strenghten his conceptions about her.

Generals have a sixth sense as to when the enlisted were up to no good, by making himself scarce Emil was giving his tacit approval.

Emil, seeing a bunch of Paras with Kat...

"Oh, fuck... The Brit gonna have their hands full. But then, they deserve that. Oh, and Maria wants some juice, may be?"