Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an enjoyable Easter holiday in the Low Countries, I felt inspired to make another map.
The PoD is Spinola's continued command of the Army of Flanders which results in a stronger Habsburg Netherlands. In the truce agreed on between the Dutch and Spaniards, all of Brabant, Limburg and Flanders remain in Catholic hands. Shortly thereafter, the Bishopric of Liege is placed under direct rule from Brussels by the newly appointed vice-roy Ambrosio Spinola.

the_ambrosian_netherlands_by_milites_atterdag-db72v2l.jpg

I'm going to make a 2016 presidential election map for the 124 states. Here's New England, New York, and New Jersey: (by the way, do you guys want Atlas colors or traditional colors?)
pt04Ae8.png

The splitting up of many Northeastern states definitely helps out the Republicans. They go from winning zero among these states to five (versus twelve for Democrats) even though the region maintains a Democratic lean.
Here's what the partisan leanings of each state are:

Lean Republican
New Hampshire - despite getting Winhall and Killington from heavily Democratic Vermont, the tiny size of the two towns and removal of Grafton County gives the Republicans a small but decisive lead, and NH would probably go from tossup to lean R overall without the most Democratic part of the state.
Empire (upstate NY) - Trump did decently here, and has a lead of over 100K (though not quite over 50%) and is able to win without the city hampering it down.
Long Island - similar story to Empire- no city gives the area a Republican lean.

Moderately Republican
(none yet)

Strong Republican
Maine (north-central ME, might be Moderately Republican) - composed of the best area for Trump in the state.
Aroostook - Trump had a 17 point margin of victory in this county.

Lean Democratic
North Massachusetts (coastal Maine) - although it has Portland, it still has many areas where Trump did well.
Rhode Island (southern RI) - surprisingly close.
South Jersey - the margin is only a few thousand votes D, so this would probably be a tossup overall.

Moderately Democratic
Connecticut - only state unchanged in the area.

Strong Democratic
North Jersey - 500K Democratic margin.
New York City - unsurprisingly, has a huge Democratic margin.
Providence - voted 57-36 Clinton-Trump.
Massachusetts - even without the islands and Boston, this state is still strongly Democratic (Clinton only does a few percentage points worse)
Boston - a city that is almost as D as Washington, D.C.
Essex - Not as D as Boston, but still too Democratic for a Republican to win.
Vermont - not a big surprise here.

You forgot Indian Stream, at the northern tip of NH. I don't think it's even its own precinct, but it's safe to say that it voted for Trump by a huge margin.

How did you learn how to make such amazing maps? :O This is amazing!
Thank you! I mean, I think most of it is just learning as you go along - experimenting with the different options vector programs have. This map didn't really use anything more sophisticated than layers, transparency, colours, and the 'difference' function on inkscape. My map making process is sort of based on this tutorial here from LSCatilina - it was a huge help, and you build your personal style by just trying things out. IMO colour choice and font choice also tends to have a big impact on making the map look good.

Great map! Only one nitpick, shouldn't the Anglicized plural of Lingua Franca be Linguas Franca?
Jeez, I didn't even think about that, ha ha! I just treated it like an English word and pluralised it - wiktionary says it's okay. I appreciate the eye for detail though, since I posted the map I swear I've made about 5 sneaky corrections to some little things I noticed...
Great map @Camelopardalim ! Impressive considering tjis is ONLY your second map on here! You are already among the top map makers on tjis site.
You're too kind - I really just have too much free time right now, ha ha. There are so many great mapmakers here that I look up to - I need to learn people's secrets about map textures and patterns!

The map shows up on the screen. It writhes and almost seems sentient, to the point that a low "reeeee" can be heard eminating from it. Suddenly, the camera goes out, though the sound remains.

oYiZoYq.png

Do you have a GIF?

Also one of those wormholes/black holes/whatever the hell it is above Asia looks like a polar bear with large sunglasses on.

Patriotic music plays in the background. A logo comes up: United Timelines Defense Force. A burly man walks on stage,boots clopping on the floor of the studio hard, as if he could not turn off his military march.

"As many of you know, at 1:19pm on April 24th, Timeline Irt1Nap1Hun1Col1Guf1FPW1EWO1TOV0::QQK5113 was attacked by a large and malevolent force. Our reports so far state that they have control of all of the world, though we have gotten very few reports so far. A large number of civilians have been evacuated to the Hub, but so far the military force we sent into this world has come up missing.

We are aware that some have stated rumors that this was some kind of ASB "hiveworld," and that we are about to be attacked again. I assure you that this is false. The ASB menace has been confined to their home triad, and we have had no reports of any other incursions by the ASB menace since then. However, we have recalled our exploration fleets in case there has been a breech.

In the meantime, we urge you to stay calm, and to stop spreading these rumors. Even if the ASB have returned, we have far updated our technology to the point in which we could defeat them handedly. We still are at a heightened state of alert, ju-"

Suddenly, a man in all black whispers into the general's ear.

"We have just gotten a report that a drone has radioed in a map. We expect to see that nothing has changed, and that we will be able to reestablish contact with this world. Okay, the map is coming up now."

The map shows up on the screen. It writhes and almost seems sentient, to the point that a low "reeeee" can be heard eminating from it. Suddenly, the camera goes out, though the sound remains.

"Kill this planet now! It's too late for the! Summon- My God!"

oYiZoYq.png

Dogscape?

Patriotic music plays in the background. A logo comes up: United Timelines Defense Force. A burly man walks on stage,boots clopping on the floor of the studio hard, as if he could not turn off his military march.

"As many of you know, at 1:19pm on April 24th, Timeline Irt1Nap1Hun1Col1Guf1FPW1EWO1TOV0::QQK5113 was attacked by a large and malevolent force. Our reports so far state that they have control of all of the world, though we have gotten very few reports so far. A large number of civilians have been evacuated to the Hub, but so far the military force we sent into this world has come up missing.

We are aware that some have stated rumors that this was some kind of ASB "hiveworld," and that we are about to be attacked again. I assure you that this is false. The ASB menace has been confined to their home triad, and we have had no reports of any other incursions by the ASB menace since then. However, we have recalled our exploration fleets in case there has been a breech.

In the meantime, we urge you to stay calm, and to stop spreading these rumors. Even if the ASB have returned, we have far updated our technology to the point in which we could defeat them handedly. We still are at a heightened state of alert, ju-"

Suddenly, a man in all black whispers into the general's ear.

"We have just gotten a report that a drone has radioed in a map. We expect to see that nothing has changed, and that we will be able to reestablish contact with this world. Okay, the map is coming up now."

"Kill this planet now! It's too late for the! Summon- My God!"

oYiZoYq.png

What the hell? Super Spain and Super Japan and Okay Turkey glitches out the planet!

Status
Not open for further replies.