Victoria II

Two questions. I figured a number of things but two things are driving me up the wall as I try to take the US and turn her into the great power. First off is how to I increase the number of regiments I can field? This is something that is making me go nuts as I want Yankee units not Dixie ones. The second is how to I keep the British from jumping on my neck when I attack Mexico in the mid to late 1840s?
For the regiments, set the focus on a couple of Northern States to soldiers. For the British, go to their diplomacy screen (right click on some of their territory for a shortcut) and increase influence with them.

I hope this helps. :)

Two questions. I figured a number of things but two things are driving me up the wall as I try to take the US and turn her into the great power. First off is how to I increase the number of regiments I can field? This is something that is making me go nuts as I want Yankee units not Dixie ones. The second is how to I keep the British from jumping on my neck when I attack Mexico in the mid to late 1840s?

1.) YOu increase the number of regiements by increasing the number of soldier pops. This can be done by increasing military spending and using national focuses.

2.) In order to pacify Britain, I'd encourage you to aim for very positive relations with them. ONce you're over ~150 relations then they should never go to war with you, unless Mexico is in their sphere or has an alliance with them.

So bring up a few of the colonies up to state level doesn't do anything? Because I was trying to kill the Civil War before it got going and was working on bring up Bureaucrats in Northern States to make these states and not colonies.

1. To increase regiments u need to increase / mantain your soldier pops. There are a couple of ways to do this:
a) Use your national foci to promote soldiers in your populous northern states
b) Increase you military spending to 100%. This gives your pops a higher chance to promote to soldiers.
In addition, be sure to get the medicine tech. The inventions associated with it make it so that your soldier pops are much less likely to die during a war, which allows a more stable soldier pop size over time.

2. The trick to avoid being double teamed is to destroy Britains relations with Mexico. They can only intervene in your war if their influence with Mexico is friendly. What I do is pour influence into Mexico, and then decrease Mexico's opinion of Britian until it is at hostile. Worst case scenerio, Britain spends the next couple of years restoring said influence, during which you have already had your war.What usually happens however is that the UK just gives up, or even better declares their own war on a now unfriendly mexico (though the latter rarely happens)

To expand on 1) however, you really cannot do a whole lot in the short term to drastically change the number of regiments you are fielding. The mentioned suggestions will help a bit, but in the long term getting alot more soldiers is a waiting game. Once the world starts industrializing, large segments of your pops (labourers,farmers, and artisans) are going to start moving from their original pops into either soldiers or craftsmen, and you military base is going to explode by an order of magnitude.

So bring up a few of the colonies up to state level doesn't do anything? Because I was trying to kill the Civil War before it got going and was working on bring up Bureaucrats in Northern States to make these states and not colonies.

It is very hard to kill the civil war before it happens. There is an event called the slavery debate that should fire sometime between 1836-1840, which prevents you from outlawing slavery until 1870. Outlawing slavery is the ONLY way to avoid the civil war. Once the slavery debate fires, you almost always are going to fight the civil war, as the game has too many events firing in the 1850's and 1860's for you to make it to 1870 without the south seceding. Getting more northern states admitted does nothing to prevent the civil war, and by raising southern consciousness/ militancy by admitting free states, you technically made it more likely for the civil war to fire.

The conditions for the civil war to fire are the following
1. Slavery is not outlawed.
2. John Browns Raid has occurred
3. Dred Scott has occurred
4. You have > 40% liberals in your upper house.

The civil war should fire between 6 months and 2 years after those conditions are met, depending on how close you are to 1860

For John browns raid to fire, a free state has to sustain an average consciousness of over 6.00,
while for Dred Scott to occur, a slave state has to sustain an average consciousness of over 5.00.

However, these thing will occur. If you think the event spam is bad now, the frequency of standard civil war events doubles in 1845, doubles again in 1855, and increases by a factor of FIVE in 1860. Simply put, you are NOT making it to 1870 and outlawing slavery before the civil war fires

Last edited:
If you do get lucky and manage to outlaw slavery before the Slavery Debate event fires, there's some amusing results though. I managed to do it once, and it resulted in all the freed african-american pops being rapidly assimilated into the yankee and dixie cultures. If you also refrain from using decisions like the Trail of Tears, you'll end up with a fairly homogeneous duo-culture in the late game, as even the cherokee end up getting assimilated.

It does, however, make for a very boring game unless you start acting out of character and being world police way ahead of time.

I have to ask is there a cheat that can force AI into agreeing to a White Peace without ending the war with other nations? Or outlaw slavery in the US.

I growing tired of trying to play as the US and getting jumped on by the British even when I put the time in having plus 200 relations and making damn sure Mexico hasn't allied with them or been collected into their SOI. Then once game I did saved and gave up on the Mexican Cession for the time being only to get into a nasty civil war in which saw the CSA get in army to Detroit somehow? After I saw that I gave up on the US.

Tried France next only to get jumped on by Prussia in the 1840 after I had just knocked off Sardinia-Pidmont and made gains in Europe and had knocked out that one uncivilized nation just south of French Algeria in 1836. The first one was a war of aggression the second I was called to defend the Papal States from Sardinia-Pidmont who was trying to create Italy early. I had my ass handed to me by Prussia and fell into revolution soon there after.

Then I tried my luck as Japan. I couldn't turn it into a civilized nation by the 1860s even through I had Literacy rate up to 50% and had most of the second R&D tier unlocked and finished. I tried to invade Hawaii only to get jumped on by the British and Americans.

Less said about my efforts as Prussia the better.

Then finally I tried the British as they had caused by so many headaches. Only I was jumped by the Spanish and Russians in 1837! By 1840 I was getting the upper hand even after Sardinia-Pidmont joined in. Then I got jumped by an odd alliance of Prussia and France!

What the fuck an I doing wrong in this game?

It honestly sounds like you're playing a completely different game from the Victoria 2 I know. I've never seen the AI act half as aggressively as you describe, except when I go over the infamy cap.

About Britain; did they intervene in the Mexican-American War, or did they declare a separate war on you? Since you said you had 200 relations with them, I'm assuming the former. A country can intervene in a war if the defending country has a Friendly or above opinion of the country in question, so you've got to reduce it to at least Cordial.

You can also just let Mexico win for a while. They'll probably eventually add a war goal, like Acquire American Texas, and at that point nobody can intervene in the war anymore since it's no longer a defensive war.

About the CSA army in Detroit; if any part of your army was hired from provinces that go to the CSA, those parts of the army will also join the CSA once it forms. Maybe you had a dixie army up around Detroit before the civil war, and that army seceded along with the provinces they came from.

As to the British and the Mexican-American War I'm not sure. One minute I was kicking Mexico's ass the next thing I noticed the British were at war with me demanding a status quo peace with the Mexicans.

As to why the AI is being that aggressive is beyond me but I don't have the first fucking idea. But I been getting my ass handed to me by the AI.

As to why the AI is being that aggressive is beyond me but I don't have the first fucking idea. But I been getting my ass handed to me by the AI.

America: I'm supposed to playing Victoria 2, but this one player keeps kicking my ass

France: Who is it?

Britain: Did anyone say anything about kicking American ass? ;)

I have to ask is there a cheat that can force AI into agreeing to a White Peace without ending the war with other nations? Or outlaw slavery in the US.
http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Console_commands
The tldr version:
Type (debug?) yesmen into the console and the AI will agree to your white peace request. As long as they are not the war leader everyone else fights on.
Type yesmen again to disable the cheat.
There is no easy way to outlaw slavery once the slavery debate has fired. Before then you can just type militancy 10
to increase your nations militancy (at which point the conservatives in your upper house will agree to the reform). Then just type militancy -10 to decrease your militancy to previous level
I growing tired of trying to play as the US and getting jumped on by the British even when I put the time in having plus 200 relations and making damn sure Mexico hasn't allied with them or been collected into their SOI.
The UK does not need to have sphered mexico to intervene. All they need to do is have friendly (influence) relations. Have you tried decrease their influence relations down to hostile? Because it is literally impossible for them to intervene in the war if they are not in an alliance and dont have friendly+ relations, (though they can fight a separate war, especially if you lose enough military units that they think they can win it).

EDIT:
As to the British and the Mexican-American War I'm not sure. One minute I was kicking Mexico's ass the next thing I noticed the British were at war with me demanding a status quo peace with the Mexicans.

If they demanding the status quo this means they are at friendly (influence) with Mexico. As mentioned above, this can easily be avoid be destroying their influence with mexico before hand. What likely happened was when you started the war they were cordial with mexico, and then they increased their influence to friendly.

Then once game I did saved and gave up on the Mexican Cession for the time being only to get into a nasty civil war in which saw the CSA get in army to Detroit somehow? After I saw that I gave up on the US.

Tried France next only to get jumped on by Prussia in the 1840 after I had just knocked off Sardinia-Pidmont and made gains in Europe and had knocked out that one uncivilized nation just south of French Algeria in 1836. The first one was a war of aggression the second I was called to defend the Papal States from Sardinia-Pidmont who was trying to create Italy early. I had my ass handed to me by Prussia and fell into revolution soon there after.

Then I tried my luck as Japan. I couldn't turn it into a civilized nation by the 1860s even through I had Literacy rate up to 50% and had most of the second R&D tier unlocked and finished. I tried to invade Hawaii only to get jumped on by the British and Americans.

Less said about my efforts as Prussia the better.

Then finally I tried the British as they had caused by so many headaches. Only I was jumped by the Spanish and Russians in 1837! By 1840 I was getting the upper hand even after Sardinia-Pidmont joined in. Then I got jumped by an odd alliance of Prussia and France!

What the fuck an I doing wrong in this game?

It sounds like you need to work on your control of your military. The CSA for example should always be a fairly easy push over unless you are fighting a foreign war at the same time.

Several tips in regards to that
1. As far are techs are concerned army leadership tech tree is really really good. (The morale and tactics bonuses it gives greatly decrease the damage your units are taking). Medicine is also a must have tech, as its inventions stops your soldiers pops from being completely obliterated.

2. Click on some of the battles and see:
a) What bonuses both armies have. Are you troops taking a negative bonus because you are attacking across a river? Or because they have no leader or a crappy one? Etc. Not attacking in the wrong place could ease many of your military difficulties
b) How is your army composition forming up vis a vis the opponent. Do you have artillery (if the answer is no, get some)? Is your artillery in the backline (if the answer is not yes you need to add more infantry to your army comps)?

3. How bad is your army suffering attrition in enemy territory? You generally want your troops in smaller stacks to avoid attriting down to nothing over time
4. Check and see how much of your supplies your units are getting. If your military is not getting their proper supplies, they are going to reinforce much more slowly
5. On a related note, how big are your army stacks. I generally find that a 30K stack works well in that they are big enough to not be destroyed, but not so big as to horribly suffer attrition. Moreover, the smaller size ensures you can more easily cover your entire border and get the AI to attack you, at which point you just reinforce your army.

Moreover, the AI usually only jump you when you are near the end of a protracted war that has non trivially diminished your military strength. The fact that you are getting jumped by Spain, Russia, France, and Prussia in one game suggests
a) You have somehow managed to weaken your army to the point that the great powers feel perfectly confident in attacking you
b) You have accidentally (or deliberately) started a war with the great powers by warring on their ally on someone they have friendly+ influence on, or by joining in on your allies war despite the fact it might not be in your best interest.
c) you manage to go over 25 infamy.

For c), DONT DO THIS unless you are prepared to fight anyone and everyone

For b) be perfectly willing to dump your ally if they are a liability. When you go up against someone like prussia/germany, you want to start the war on your terms, preferably with calling all your (great power) allies, and not because you were called in by an Italian minor. Also be careful on who you declare war on. If a great power has friendly+ influence on a nation, they can and will go to war to defend it.

Also be very very carefuly before you fuck with prussia. Most games where your not actively involved with europe will see Germany rise and kick the crap out of everyone else, and there is a reason for that. They have the pop, industry and tech to destroy several of their great power neighbors simultaneously. The only times they dont do so is when some combination of Austria,France, and Russia manages to strangle them in the cradle, and I have seen games where they manage to beat all three at once.

For a) I would thus suggest spacing out your wars a bit more to give your army time to rebuild. You don't need to fight 2-3 wars before 1840 to not have a global powerhouse by the endgame.
Even against uncivs, you will quickly find yourself attritioning your army to an early grave. Doing well in victoria 2 is just as much as figuring out what wars you should avoid fighting, as it is figuring out the exact right moment to shiv your geopolitical rival.

A word of advice, dont try play an unciv until you figure out how to play a civilized nation. Uncivilize are for the most part alot hard to manage.

--The two front scenerio: every game I have played as the US has involved a DOW by the UK when I attack Mexico, unless I have specifically destroyed relations between the two via influence. While this is not hard to do, it is not something a newbie would think of.

That just gives you room for revenge on the War of 1812 and the ability to conquer Canada as is the American Dream!

I've generally found the wiki guides to be mostly useless (when not outright out of date/wrong).

This lp is fairly good at explaining different parts of the game, but is a bit detailed due to how complicated the game actually is
https://lparchive.org/Victoria-II/

USA is a fairly good starting country does have its own issues, namely
--Being a democracy sucks. You literally have no control over your own government
--Event spam: The slave debate gives you a ridiculous amount of events to click through
--The two front scenerio: every game I have played as the US has involved a DOW by the UK when I attack Mexico, unless I have specifically destroyed relations between the two via influence. While this is not hard to do, it is not something a newbie would think of.
yeah I did the whole influence thing this time and I was able to have my war with Mexico without the U.K. Jumping me

Ok now that I got the whole influence thing figured out and was able to go to war with Mexico with out the British jumping down my neck and defeating the CSA in about four years I have done fairly well. I when off an invaded Hawaii in the 1870s brought Alaska in the 1880s and colonized the Yukon in the 1890s with the rest of Alaska. Yet I seem to have a nasty habit of having different rebellions pop up across the US for various reasons. Its getting old to. It seems to happen every year or two. No matter how many social laws I change these fucking rebellions keep happening. Its cost me a shot for taking Cuba in the 1870s and forced me to set out the first Great War in 1899-1900 when I was planning on sticking a knife in the British and take Canada from them.

Any tips?

Ok now that I got the whole influence thing figured out and was able to go to war with Mexico with out the British jumping down my neck and defeating the CSA in about four years I have done fairly well. I when off an invaded Hawaii in the 1870s brought Alaska in the 1880s and colonized the Yukon in the 1890s with the rest of Alaska. Yet I seem to have a nasty habit of having different rebellions pop up across the US for various reasons. Its getting old to. It seems to happen every year or two. No matter how many social laws I change these fucking rebellions keep happening. Its cost me a shot for taking Cuba in the 1870s and forced me to set out the first Great War in 1899-1900 when I was planning on sticking a knife in the British and take Canada from them.

Any tips?

1870s? Sounds like your war exhaustion was too high from the Civil War. How much of Mexico did you conquer? And, either way, rebellions usually aren't too bad that early in the game. As long as you have enough armies to cover it on auto hunt and the populace has good employment, it's not usually too bad. It gets worse into the 1910s and later.

One gamey way that you can play the Civil war is to disband all of the units that originate from the south. If you do that, you can occupy a large portion by the time they raise troops to fight. Makes it a lot easier.

Also, there's no need to invade Hawai'i. There is an event to annex it once it is in your sphere.

I don't know what kind of rebels you're dealing with, but if you have taxes and tolls set too high, a lot of pops won't be able to have their life needs met, which increases their militancy, and makes them join rebel groups.

Any tips?

As has been mentioned earlier, Hawaii actually has an event to annex it if it is in your SOI and you have Nationalism & Imperialism. For some reason this event is hidden until Hawaii is actually in your SOI.

Rebels are always a pain in the butt, but early game you really should only be getting small to medium rebellions that should be able to be easily handled by a few armies set to auto hunt rebels. The massive nationwide anarcho liberal (and later commie) rebellions should only happen very irregularly, and assuming you set most of your army to auto hunt rebels should be taken care of within the space of 1-2 months.

To making these massive rebellions manageable, the main thing you have to ensure is that your soldiers pops are not radicalized. You can put down these rebellions fairly easily so long as you are not losing significant chunks of your army to infighting. If you start seeing more than 1-2 unreliable brigades per military stack, you are going to start to have a bad time when the rebellion kicks off.

As far as keeping you pops happy, there are only a handful of things you can do.
a) Ensure you are passing the right political and social reforms. Not all reforms are created equally. The population is usually very supportive of only one or two reforms. Since the pops that want a specific reform become more militant if you pass a different reform, picking the wrong reform actually makes it more likely for a rebellion to occur. I would suggest viewing the tooltip over each possible reform. The tooltip displays what percentage of population is supportive of the reform. While you want the education/healthcare reforms sooner rather than later (since the former increases your literary gain rate, and the later improves your pop growth), you should also be sure to select reforms that are liked by large chunks of the population, otherwise you are going to get many rebellions in short order

b) If you are getting alot of rebellions due to high militancy, I would suggest viewing the population panel. You can order your population by militancy. From there, it is simply a matter of scrolling past the many small pop groups that are pissed off to the few pops that are high militancy but also have a decent number of people. Hovering over the militancy number will display what is causing said pop to become more militant. If it is due to a lack of a political reform, you probably should pass it. If it is because they are not getting all of their needs, you should hover over their needs to see what they are missing. Usually it is not an issue of taxation (as the effective tax rate early to mid game is actually fairly small, even if you are taxing your pops 100%), but rather that your pops cannot get certain goods off the world market. The answer to this problem is to find a country producing these goods and sphere it.

As a side note, in addition to finding your high militancy pops in general, it is key that you do this procedure on your soldier base as well (to only see soldiers, deselect all of the pop types except soldiers at the top of the user interface). I have generally found that so long as I keep my soldiers happy I can put down even large size rebellions fairly easily, so long as they are not happening every year (the only exception is this is if you are playing as china. There the rebels can and will crush you military).

As a final note, can you go into a little bit more detail about why your rebels are causing such problems? Is your military not having an easy time putting down these rebels, or is the problem that your army is joining them?

As a final note, can you go into a little bit more detail about why your rebels are causing such problems? Is your military not having an easy time putting down these rebels, or is the problem that your army is joining them?
The problem I'm having with them is how often they are happening. The longest I when since the 1870s without some kind of rebellion is two years. Before that out side a CSA rebellion months before the start of the civil war I really didn't have any issues with them. The only one that I really had an issue with was the one in 1899 that happen right before I was planning to jump on the British to grab Canada. Part of my army mutiny on me. It took me about five months to clean up the mess then a few more months to rebuild my army. By the point I was ready again the war was over.

The problem I'm having with them is how often they are happening. The longest I when since the 1870s without some kind of rebellion is two years. Before that out side a CSA rebellion months before the start of the civil war I really didn't have any issues with them. The only one that I really had an issue with was the one in 1899 that happen right before I was planning to jump on the British to grab Canada. Part of my army mutiny on me. It took me about five months to clean up the mess then a few more months to rebuild my army. By the point I was ready again the war was over.
Yeah small to medium sized rebellions are not out of the ordinary mid to late game, that is why the hunt rebels button is so dam useful. So long as you are able to maintain control of your military stacks though, even one of the larger rebellions are fairly easy to mop up, as you as simply wipe out all the rebels and then continue going about your day (#DemocracyInVictoria). The best advice I can give you is what I have already said above, which is specifically mind your soldier pops that have a higher militancy and try to defuse their issues either through passing the specific reforms they want, or sphering nations that have the resources they want. You are always going to have a couple brigades go over, but so long as the core of your military stacks say loyal, the few traitors are fairly easy to replace.

On a semi-unrelated note, be very glad you are not playing as China. The rebellion there have a nasty tendency of spawning multiple rebel armies in the 200,000-500,000 range, and while a 60,000 troop stack can for the most part handle fighting rebels that are 4x times their size, afterwards they are not in any shape to do anything, which makes it a tad inconvenient when they are hit by another massive rebel stack and wiped out .

A couple of random tips about the game
-I would highly suggest playing Sardinia Piedmont after the USA. There are a couple of gamey ways you can form Italy in under 10 years, and once you do you can hit the "I win all future wars" button (By which I mean allying with Prussia). Prussia will occasionally struggle early game, but not when they have an ally that can hold down Austria and French divisions. After they form Germany, the Italy/Germany alliance suffers a very minor case of being more powerful than any combination of non-human players on the continent. Indeed, in the one game I played as Italy, Germany and I managed to deprive France of its northern and southern coasts, which was kinda funny.

-You should be getting philosophy techs the second they are available. They increase your research points dramatically
-Get Military Directionism the second it unlocks. If you have gas and the enemy does not, you are going to crush them if the military size is in remotely the same ball park

-Grab a couple of provinces from china when you get the chance. They have ridiculous resources that are near game breaking, and also allow you to greatly expand you army size
1. Provinces with silk/ tropical wood allow you to massively increase your industrial score because they enable you to build alot of luxury clothing/furniture
2. The one province they have with rare metals basically ensures your budget will never be negative again
3. Their coal/steel provinces have enormous yields, which will allow you to greatly expand your industrial base

It's also possible to form Germany within 10 years in very gamey ways. Heck, it's possible to form Greater Germany including Austria in maybe 15 years, and you'll be powerful enough to take on every single great power in the world at once and win with ease. It's not what I'd call balanced, though it might not be the best idea or plan for one of your first games of Victoria.