Bahia de Todos los Santos: Spanish Colonization of the Mid-Atlantic

Nice update and description from colony's struggles to survive the winters and the people differents reactions.
I think they started to hunt alone or alongside the natives to supplement their feeding (getting fur for shelter?).
I guess that apart from these conditions the space for the opposition would be broader, but I believe that whenever it is able, it will punish the leaders of the open attempts to mutiny ...

It is possible that the current friendship evolution towards a more or less formal military alliance will be accelerated or reinforced when(perhaps) undertaken joint offensives (defensive fight) against their common enemies.

Nice update and description from colony's struggles to survive the winters and the people differents reactions.
I think they started to hunt alone or alongside the natives to supplement their feeding (getting fur for shelter?).
I guess that apart from these conditions the space for the opposition would be broader, but I believe that whenever it is able, it will punish the leaders of the open attempts to mutiny ...

It is possible that the current friendship evolution towards a more or less formal military alliance will be accelerated or reinforced when(perhaps) undertaken joint offensives (defensive fight) against their common enemies.

As it was with Cortes having control of the boats at the very edge of the world is a powerful tool. That's why Rivilla scatters the settlers, particularly the rebellious ones. They can't come together in opposition and semi-stranding many of them forces them to stay and adapt.

The settlers are certainly coming to appreciate the furs of the natives and later for economic value. They are spreading out for fishing, hunting, gathering food, and so forth. Certainly not alone though always in groups. Especially with the Powhattan looking their way in the coming year...

Interlude: Fort de la Caroline
What is this madness? A double update from me? Unheard of!

Something I have had rolling around in my head for the last few days.

----------------------
Forward:

November 4th, 1572

Fort de la Caroline

Condé Island [1]

Mouth of the Rivière des Montagnes [2]

“Gaspard is dead?” René Goulaine de Laudonnière asked, hoping that such words he hoped were a lie and not the truth of the world.

“He is. Murdered. An assassin tried to kill him on the 22nd of August but they failed. They just shot off his fingers. A mob hired by Duke of Guise finished him. They shot and stabbed him, before…before…” Jean Ribault swallowed hard as he forced the words out, “…they threw him out of the window of his lodgings. Then cut off his head. Witnesses say he was alive when they did…and that was just the middle of things…”

“The middle of what?” de Laudonnière sat down and braced himself for the news, “What happened?”

“A massacre. It began on the 24th…”

“St. Bartholomew’s day.” de Laudonnière interrupted.

“Yes, some are already starting to call it the St. Bartholomew Massacre. There were hundreds killed in Paris. Thousands more in the countryside by the time I left France. The communities are up in arms. France runs red with blood.”

“And the King? What of Charles?”

“He encourages it. He says it was to prevent a plot to take over the Kingdom. His own guard joined in the blood letting.” Jean Ribault spat out the words, a fit of anger overtook him so quickly that he knocked over an empty wood cup from a nearby table.

“What do you think will happen next?” de Laudonnière asked.

“War. More bloodshed. Already our people are fleeing from France, the communities like La Rochelle, Pau, Guyenne, Sancerre and the rest will resist but I just don’t know for how long…” Jean shook his head and sat down next to de Laudonnière.

Both men were quiet for sometime. After several minutes de Laudonnière got up and walked to the window and looked out. There he could see most of Fort de la Caroline. It had been hard for the settlers when they first arrived. He could see the graves of many, but in time they had struggled and won in someways. They had moved the wall of the settlement at least twice. Ribault had brought with him a fair share of people. De Laudonnière inclined his head northward toward the sky.

“If that is how Charles wants it then so be it. We want nothing of him.” de Laudonnière finally said. “The Dutch are revolting against Philip. We are technically doing so in France. Let us link our arms with our Protestant brothers in the Low Countries.”

“Perhaps. Maybe offer ourselves to Elizabeth for her rule, or maybe we should go without any foreign ruler” de Laudonnière added.

“What? Are you serious? What do you think? We rule ourselves as a Republic of old Rome?” Ribault sounded skeptical but there was an edge of willingness there.

“Perhaps. Though it is just wishful thinking,” de Laudonnière sighed and shrugged, “For now at least let us focus on the now and protect our people.”

“That I can do,” Ribault strode over and shook de Laudonnière’s hand. “I see your people are preparing for something come the next spring.”

“Yes, we were planning to move upriver. We have had word the Spanish have been setting up new settlements all over the coast of Carolina. Like Puerto de la Cruz and Arrecife. It may be safer. There is an island that we bought from the natives. It was incredibly cheap.”

“Oh really? What do you plan to call this new settlement, eh?”

“Well, we were thinking of ‘La Nouvelle Rochelle’…”

[1] Staten Island

[2] Hudson River. Duh.

Last edited:
At this point I highly doubt that the English might even get a foothold in the New World.

At this rate, I don't know if there is anywhere to plant a flag of their own. However, if things roughly follow the same tracks in Europe, I expect that England won't have any problem taking someone else's.

At this point I highly doubt that the English might even get a foothold in the New World.

At this rate, I don't know if there is anywhere to plant a flag of their own. However, if things roughly follow the same tracks in Europe, I expect that England won't have any problem taking someone else's.

Plus there is always Virginia...I mean New England...!

British Mexico or a British Brazil.:p:p:p:p

Portugal is already at Brazil and the Spanish will inevitably reach Mexico.

If England had a colony it would go the way of the Scottish Panama Colony or New Amsterdam.

Or French Brazil conquered by the Portuguese.

Going to put in an update later tonight. It will cover up unto about 1536. So it will cover a lot of ground. Chronologically speaking.

Agree, perhaps will would see... an British Quebec?

On the one hand there wouldn't be a French settlement until the early 1600s. On the other hand they do have a strong fishing and trading presence and have officially claimed the region.

So it's certainly possible for the British to try something but the French might intervene and at this point the British don't have total naval superiority.

Though the Spanish will be in a place to support one side or the other with their new colony.

Part Four: The Four Sons War and a New Beginning
Part Four: The Four Sons War and a New Beginning

With the arrival of de Urruita, the last major partner of the Carolina expedition, (as well as two hundred and fifty additional settlers) the three partners, de Ayllon, de Urruita, and Cavallero had to themselves less a little more than a year before all three would return to Spain for a review of their colonial venture in the latter part of 1528. They would have to make their case to the Emperor, the House of Trade, and the Council of the West Indies as well as their numerous investing partners for why they should be granted their charter for an additional term AND why more money should be invested in the promise of profit all three had supported.

For de Urruita arriving in La Bahia and seeing that there were no mounds of gold stored and ready for export was bittersweet but he had expected as much, waiting in Santo Domingo for over two years for shipments of gold from the first and second expeditions. While his compatriots had done their best to survive he had worked on ways the venture could still make (at least him) less of a profit loss.

De Urruita along with Rivilla took stock of what there was in the Carolina colony that they could sell back in Spain or Santo Domingo. There were the natural resources, not entirely the ones they had been after mind you, but for the most part the land of La Bahia was nearly virginial. Timber was always a good product, especially for the expanding shipyards of Lisbon or Havana. There was also the fur to consider, as many of the expedition had in the course of one or two winters, the pelts of beaver and mink which could be traded to northern markets in Europe. The tobacco brought from the West Indies had through some trial and error taken root in the more northern climes as the settlers adapted to the new seasons and soil. It could fetch a fair place in Europe, places like Italy and England had yet to encounter this New World vice. There also of course the human profit, slaves traded or taken from the Bahian natives were useful and could still be sold in Cuba, Hispaniola, or one of the other islands opened up for settlement. Rice could also be planted and there was some rumors circulating of native indigo on western coasts south of Mexico.

For most of 1528 the Spanish halted their search for gold to a few minor parties as instead they worked on developing the land. Though it would not be far from anyone’s mind. In particular they expanded the small forts that had been established across La Bahia, in particular across the southern peninsulas that bordered the Powhatan, at the mouth of the major rivers they squatted over their new territories and in many cases forced the local natives to pay some form of tax or tribute to use portions of the rivers. In particular, this angered the Powhatan but events had already progressed enough to push them over the edge.

What had angered the Powhatan in particular was the beginning of what would be the spread of dangerous microbes and bacteria that affected the Bahian natives in far more fatal ways than the Spanish who had been used to it. It did not at first start out with a deadly disease such as smallpox, no it began as simple sicknesses such as the flu that weakened the immune systems of many neighbors of the Spanish before hard hitting diseases came with the spread of more Spanish settlers in the second and third years. While the Powhatan did not make the immediate correlation between these new diseases and the Spanish, the growing dire situation of their people as they died and were attacked by neighbors was one factor that forced their Powhatan Confederacies hand. There were also external factors such as increased attacks from their neighbors, the threat of growing power among the Piscataway and Chesepioco, and even internal dissent as tribes such as the Rappahannock refused to stop trading with the Spanish. The tipping point was the death of the former Powhatan chieftain in the Summer of 1528 and the taking of power by his son, Makkapitew.

In the Fall of 1528 de Ayllon, de Urruita, and Cavallero left Santa Maria for Hispaniola taking four caravels stuffed with trade goods they hoped to sell in Santo Domingo and later in Spain once they returned for their review. In the meantime, their positions of governance within the colony was to be taken by each of their sons, Lucas Vasquez de Ayllon the Younger, Santiago Felipe de Urruita, and Felipe Cavallero. All young men, Luis Rivilla and the cabildo or council which includes senior figures of the community such as Antonio de Montesinos who commanded respect among the natives and many settlers. It was in late October that the Powhatan stuck.

Raiders struck at many of the forts and encampments settled by the Spanish on the San Juan, San Leon, and San Martin rivers. Laying siege to the Spanish behind the palisades while they caught any who was outside. Attacks even occurred on the eastern shore of La Bahia where the Accomaico, allies of the Powhatan slaughtered ten Spanish settlers by burning them alive. Luis Rivilla went to take command of the Spanish, but he was stopped by the three sons. Santiago de Urruita made a public speech to Rivilla to bind his actions to the will of all three sons as they were the ones put in charge of the lives of the colony by their fathers and by the Emperor. In this they wished Rivilla a military conquistador to submit to the political authority of the local government. More symbolically than anything he agreed to do so, immediately afterward the three sons charged him with defending their people against the attacks.

Rivilla organized the defenses of the Spanish, spearheading a force of soldiers from Santa Maria along with the caravels to patrol and respond to Powhatan raids. No sooner had they begun they stopped, Makkapitew having made his challenge to the Spanish, “Stay away from what is not yours”, and the Powhatan retired for the winter. It was during the winter when many of the tribes of the Powhatan traveled from their summer tribal homes closer to the shores of La Bahia where they harvesting oysters, fish and local plants for the winter. Rivilla who had observed this for the last two years decided the settlers would take advantage of this. Instead of retiring they struck at tribes loyal to Makkapitew, chasing them from the shore and burning their winter villages and supplies for the winter forcing hundreds of Powhatan into starvation and death.

Eventually, Makkapitew sued for peace with the Spanish, returning the settlers they had captured so that both sides could settle in for the winter. While this ended, what would be called the Four Sons War (Makkapitew, de Ayllon the Younger, Santiago Felipe, and Felipe Caravello) it would not end conflict between the Spanish and Powhatan, but it was a major blow to the native confederacy. In 1531 the Spanish would follow up with the expulsion of the Accomaico from the lower, eastern shore of La Bahia who were forces north along the Delaware bay.

In the Summer of 1529 de Ayllon and his partners returned from Spain triumphant. De Ayllon had convinced many of the investors in Spain to continue to support the Carolina colony in Bahia de Todos los Santos and the Emperor and Audiencia as well as they continued to deal with warfare with the French and Ottomans. The grant was extended for six more years, with de Ayllon and his partners having to return in 1536. Only Diego Caravello would live long enough to do so.

Returning to Santa Maria de Ayllon and his partners were relived at the successful defense of Santa Maria and its smaller colonies throughout La Bahia. Invigorated by their successes all three would embolden the expansion of the colony’s territory in La Bahia in the upcoming years. Primarily at the expense of the Powhattan who were forced to give ground on the peninsula’s but not the interior of Senacoma. The Spanish looked to their allies among the Pazaticans and Chesepioco with thanks but increasingly less dependence which would continue in the coming years. It was leading up to 1533 that the Spanish slowly put together the picture of what the interior of Carolina looked like. Through description of La Bahia natives and finally an expedition up the Rio Santa Maria by Rivilla. It was eventually reasoned by many within the colony and in Hispaniola that the gold of the continent must be undiscovered by the Bahian natives. None of them seemed to have it worked into wondrous treasures like the Mexicans had, and certainly not like the fabled Peru.

This was to an extent proven in 1533 when traveling up the course of the Rio San Martin Spanish traders discovered very small gold flakes in the sands of the upper reaches of the river. Nowhere near large enough to be worth anything, nothing like the nuggets or pounds of gold, this still seemed to prove that there was gold in Carolina! This was for the colony the source of a small surge of new settlers in La Bahia, but it was greatly overshadowed in the next year by word of the conquest of the Inca Empire by Pizzaro where there were rooms filled with gold. Unfortunately, this set off a gold rush that triggered renewed levels of conflict with the Powhattan, in particular the Rappahannock who lived on the Rio San Martin and were attacked by the new arrivals.

By 1534 for the most part, the population growth of the Spanish in La Bahia was characterized in two ways. First, the main population growth of the colony was due to the arrival of settlers attracted by de Ayllon’s agents in Spain and Santo Domingo. Many were men of various ages with women making an extremely small percentage, particularly being the wives of aristocrats and merchants. Second, the main outcome of birth rates among the Spanish was mestizo children born from wives taken from the Bahian natives. As the children grew, some being as old as eight, would eventually come to play an important role in the development of Carolina.

As with life, there is also death. The first of the original investing partners to die was de Urruita who died of an infection from a severe case of gout in 1533 at the age of 58. He was followed a year later by de Ayllon himself in 1534. He was found by the fence of his estate, unconscious with no external signs of bruising or that an attack had occurred. He was carried to his home where he died the next morning. Both de Ayllon and de Urruita were returned to Spain for burial. De Ayllon was buried in his home city of Toledo. Both of their roles in Carolina were taken over by their sons. So were their debts.

While Carolina had slowly become profitable in many different ways it did not come close to paying off the 100,000 ducat expenditure. All three had to sell properties in Hispaniola to make most of their payment. Diego Cavallero along with de Ayllon the Younger and Santiago Felipe de Urruita traveled to Spain in 1536 and this time de Ayllon the Elder was not there to convince the Audiencia and the Emperor of an extension on the grant. Instead, what Charles V declared was an alternative.

Into the meeting, Charles V introduced all three grant holders to a man recently returned from conquests in Peru. Charles V declared that moving forward Carolina was declared an official Viceroyalty of the crown of Castile, that Cavallero and the other grant holders would be members of the first Audiencia of Carolina, and that the man would be the Viceroy.

Viceroy Hernando de Soto.

Random fact, but near where I live in the corner of Tennessee and Mississippi there are multiple places named after de Soto (the town of Hernando in DeSoto County, Mississippi for instance).

Hernando de Soto? Bad news for the local native Americans, if OTL is any guide...

Well, in OTL in 1536 after returning from Peru he was charged with a four year mission by Emperor Charles the V for doing just that. Now, he will be starting off with a developed Spanish base of operations on the Chesapeake...

Interesting development. I wonder if the colony would develop a policy to encourage interracial marriage.

That will be instantly conquered by the French if unlucky enough.

I guessed that in this decades the French, had some very important things to worry that for prioritize them more near, in theirs homeland... Even though, if the Moerae would be 'tempted' by a situation that could be the reverse of OTL.

I think that given the characteristics of the new colony that began and its isolation on the desert border seems to me more appropriate than De Soto were appointed to the King for the functions and position of (OTL) Adelantado*.

The title was originated in the medieval kingdom of Castile-Leon and allowed to keep the current status from the colony, than with the title of Viceroy and for 'upgraded' the colony status for which, I thinks it's could be very premature... for their size in spanish population and more important in the controlled lands size.
Because, it's could be more a nuanced, matter but the Viceroy was a position and a function of colonial government that generally were designed and created for the more organized and stable colonies / Spanish colonies.

The Adelantado also usually had more power and was autonomous of the crown and independent of the closest Spanish colonial authorities and was especially adapted for the current geographic and political conditions but the difference with the viceroy was that the former lacked from judiciary authority and was subject to the regulation from the colonial system sociopolitical "checks and balances''.

"... The Adelantados were granted directly by the Monarch the right to become Governors and magistrates of a specific region, who were entrusted with the conquest, in exchange for the financing and organization of the first explorations, settlements and pacification of the objective area in the name of the Crown of Castile. General outside the jurisdiction of an existing audience or viceroy, and the Adelantado also were authorized to communicate directly with the Council of the Indias...''

But about De Soto in specific I think that aside the obvious advantages from begin his trips and had backed for an full Spaniard's settling/colonia with a friendly/allied native tribes with another at least partially, subjected but most important he would had an safe and continuous 'logistical chain' while explore for find some (land) way for establish regular communications with both Cuba (through Florida) and New Spain.
along their journey they will establish new villages and /or presidios (small and isolated garrisons) and although its interest to find gold is not likely to disappear but I guess it would be attenuated in intensity due to its new responsibilities and mission entrusted by the King; besides it's new and favorable 'perspectives' for his future (economic and political).

* There is no good/exact English meaning equivalent for Soto's (Otl) title of adelantado (in my opinion) but could be translated how the Royal authority deputy which that was sent or that was forward into the most far kingdom borders/possessions for organize the exploring/conquest in behalf of the crown.

Also how were raised some ask/concern about the Spanish pronunciation... I think that this or this another would be useful.

Last edited:
Part 5: Viceroyalty and the First Expeditions of de Soto.
I think that given the characteristics of the new colony that began and its isolation on the desert border seems to me more appropriate than De Soto were appointed to the King for the functions and position of (OTL) Adelantado*.

I get ready to publish the below and then I see your post.

Hmm.

I can see the reasoning. Let me incorporate it into my post...and post it.

Part 5: Viceroyalty and the First Expeditions of de Soto.

Hernando de Soto was born in 1495 in Jerez de los Caballeros and traveled to the New World in 1520 with many other young men eager to conquer the unknown lands. There he first fought in Panama and later Nicaragua where he gained land and a public office, he explored some of the Yucatan before joining the conquest of Peru in 1530. There he served as one of Francisco Pizzaro’s lieutenants and quickly became wealthy from the plunder. He rose high enough to be lieutenant governor of Lima before turned down for a chance to conquer the lands south of Peru he returned to Spain with his wealth. Knighted as a member of the Order of Santiago de Soto was drawn into Emperor Charles’ developing plans for his dominions in the Americas.

The government for the new islands and countries conquered by the Spanish had changed constantly in the decades since the first Spanish settlements. Charles now wanted to instate the territories with greater control by the crown as local conquerors such as Pizzaro and Cortes still acted as local strongmen who threatened the authority of the Imperial government. In 1535 the Viceroyalty of New Spain was created, primarily based in Mexico City it ruled the cast extents of Central America and Mexico as well as the islands of the Caribbean.

There was debate if Carolina should be added to the authority of Mexico City but it was decided due to the distance from the Caribbean and that the land was potentially as large if not larger than Mexico a separate administrative structure needed to be added. Otherwise development would most likely lag as Mexico City focused on Mexico and the Caribbean. So, it was decided that Carolina would consist of a separate Viceroyalty where the crown could support the conquest and colonization of Carolina. There was also additional plans to include La Florida into the Viceroyalty of Carolina, at least the Atlantic facing coast, but once a settlement actually took root in Florida that would be decided.

There had also been in the last decade increasing interest in additional settlements within Carolina as word of the land’s wealth, if untamed wealth, attracted several interested parties. It seemed that for the most part the issue stopping the expansion of Carolina’s current holdings were stubborn native confederacies. Thus the Crown and the Council of the Indies turned to de Soto with the mission of four years to conquer the interior in the name of the Crown. De Soto was highly interested in the offer, restless in Spain, and would fund mostly himself a small army of 700 to tackle the mission.

*HOWEVER, it was decided that due to the size of Carolina’s Spanish population and development de Soto would not be established as the Viceroy-just yet. If he was successful, the title -could- be conferred upon him. Such was the potential that many within Charles’ court looked at Carolina. Or perhaps over eager from the first success of a colony on the mainland north of Mexico. In the meantime, de Soto would be granted the title of Adelantado, a special military styled governing position which gave de Soto the authority to conquer Carolina, and the position of Viceroy for Carolina would remain vacant.*

Diego Cavallero and the other two members of the original grant, now revoked of their grant but compensated with positions within the new government of the viceroyalty, returned to Carolina in 1536 while de Soto gathered his army and planned. Cavallero was elected presidente of the Audiencia of Carolina, the quasi-legislative and consultative body that would in ways check the power of Spanish governors. They quickly included Rivilla, who knew of de Soto from Nicaragua and was well acquainted with his bravery and brutal tactics. Until de Soto’s arrival in 1539 they simple prepared for his arrival, expanding forts and farms as well as gaining information on the first target of de Soto’s: the Powhatan.

Arriving in 1539 de Soto quickly went to work. His main target was the village of Powhatan for which the confederacy was named for but he realized the importance of removing the natives from the lands that would most immediately benefit settlement by the Spanish. His first battles saw the Spanish overrunning the Powhatan villages along Bahia de Todos los Santos. In what is called by some as “The Peninsula Campaign” he conquered, enslaved, or exiled the Powhatan from their villages along La Bahia such as Nanesmond, [1] Werowocomoco [2], Machot [3], and Tappahannock [4]. The Powhatan fought fiercely but were no match for de Soto’s army, Carolinian militia, and for Pazatican/Chesepioco allies. The second phase of the expedition included conquering Powhatan lands away from the bay, along the further extents of the San Juan, San Martin, and San Leon rivers which were beyond the coastal tidal region of La Bahia and into the Piedmont.

The Piedmont was essentially the lands west of the coastal plains of the Atlantic, here the land rose above sea level, was essentially the end point where many rivers could be sailed by ship, and was rich in land. De Soto admired the interior and set up his own settlement on the upper reaches of the Rio San Juan which he named Villa Rica or the “Rich Village” [5]. The tribes of the Powhatan submitted to de Soto and he forced them to convert or allow Dominican missionaries to set up missions among their tribes. They were also to pay tribute to the Viceroyalty and some would have to pay with free labor. A part of the Powhatan submitted, part of the Powhatan only partially submitted and moved into the land west of La Bahia and paid tribute, while part of the Powhatan left the area entirely-migrating westward into the mountains.

The lands of the interior were now open to the Spanish settlers but de Soto was quick to assert his authority. He officially declared that the coastal lands that bordered Bahia de Todos Los Santos into one province simply called La Bahia. To the territory west of the La Bahia and west of the Rio Santa Maria’s lowest bend to the distant mountains he organized as the province of Senacoma with its capital at Villa Rica.

His second expedition in 1540 to 1541 was a much, much quiet and tame affair. He traveled up the Rio Santa Maria mapping out the interior as the river lead toward the mountains. This was also his time to deal with the Pazaticans who had been allies to the Spanish since their arrival. To them he simply offered those who wished to could stay but they had to convert to Christianity. Those that did not could do so, as long as they accepted the missions of the Dominicans. Ravaged by disease as much as the Powhatan the numbers of the Piscataway had dropped from around twenty thousands to a meager few thousand and were no match for the Spanish. They accepted the offer and moved into the area west and north of the Rio Santa Maria which de Soto declared as the province of Moyao [6].

De Soto would spend much of 1541-1543 on domestic affairs, such as implication of the New Laws. He longed to once more explore the interior of Carolina, and would get his chance to do so again in 1543 once requests arrived for his aid from the OTHER settlements that had been established on the southern coast of Carolina.

------------------

[1] Suffolk, VA.

[2] Gloucester Court, VA.

[3] Port Richmond, VA.

[4] Tappahannock, VA.

[5] Richmond, VA.

[6] North-East and Northern Virginia. West and Capital regions of Maryland.