George Patton's Reputation If Movie "Patton" Had Never Been Made?

Magical123

Banned
I never got a flattering feeling of him in the movie-insensitive, brash, arrogant, self righteous and magnanimous.

Rubicon

Banned
I never got a flattering feeling of him in the movie-insensitive, brash, arrogant, self righteous and magnanimous.
That's why it's so popular both among "hawks" and "doves". It appeals to both and reinforces their beliefs.
It's a masterpiece in that regard.

There was also the somewhat overblown rivalry between Patton and Monty that the movie really played up. By all accounts it was never that bad.

That's why it's so popular both among "hawks" and "doves". It appeals to both and reinforces their beliefs.
It's a masterpiece in that regard.

I've always thought that the oversized US flag in the opening monologue would HAVE to be interpreted as ironic, at least by anyone with even the slightest sense of cynicism about the military and patriotism. But I do know a few people who take the film entirely straight with no chaser, so I guess my reaction is not universal.

Rubicon

Banned
I've always thought that the oversized US flag in the opening monologue would HAVE to be interpreted as ironic, at least by anyone with even the slightest sense of cynicism about the military and patriotism. But I do know a few people who take the film entirely straight with no chaser, so I guess my reaction is not universal.

Patton looked like a true hero to those who believed in military values, said the writer, a "red-blooded American who loves to fight and whose crude talk is straight talk." To those who despised militarism, however, Patton showed the worst kind of red-blooded American mystical maniac who believes in figthing." In their eyes, the general was "symbolic proof of the madness of the whole military complex." In a unique and highly entertaining way, then, Patton manages to accomplish a rare acheivement - a well substantiated of more than one perspective on a famous figure
-Toplin, Brent Robert, Reel History - In defense of Hollywood, p.135

You got me to dig up one of my old Uni books, damn you! ;)

Two thoughts... One, in the absence of the movie historians would still know of Patton. He accomplished far too much during the war to be sidelined in history. He would have gotten a fairly even shake, ultimately remembered as a extremely brilliant and competent general who had an unfortunate tendency to let his mouth run without his brain engaged. For the public however he would have been a historical footnote. Maybe 1 out of a 100 would have been able to recall his name. How many have heard of Lucien Truscott or Chesty Puller? Brilliant military men but largely unknown because they didn't have a movie to lionize them.

Secondly, it has been speculated in some historian circles that George Patton suffered from a form of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a brain injury recently brought to light by NFL players head trauma experiences. Patton was a cavalry officer and devoted horse rider and was known to have been thrown from his horse on several occasions. It is reasonable at least to speculate that some form of CTE was responsible for an otherwise intelligent, learned, and professional officer to have behaved so foolishly at times.

Puzzle

Donor
It is reasonable at least to speculate that some form of CTE was responsible for an otherwise intelligent, learned, and professional officer to have behaved so foolishly at times.

I feel like that's a stretch. While he may well have had CTE there's a huge range in normal brains and Patton's confidence and aggression that gave him his successes may also have contributed to his defeats. Smart people can do dumb things too.

Agreed. It is a fascinating and complex subject but I admit that it is speculation only. However, no less a historian that Carlo D'Este believed that it may be a factor, stemming from both auto and horse related accidents over his career.

Last edited: