What if Pablo Escobar became President of Colombia despite his reputation as a narcotics kingpin?

We've elected worse, it would be like 1994-1998 samper era, still our economy was growing so few people would care...

Magical123

Banned
A part of me seriously thinks either Venuzeula or Brazil will invade given that a drug kingpin is running the country next door.

A part of me seriously thinks either Venuzeula or Brazil will invade given that a drug kingpin is running the country next door.
MHAHAHAHHAA Nope, Brazil is trying to rebuild after their own dictadorship and venezuela is still the aftermatch certain incident.... plus here nobody do that, panama might even pay more money to the FARC,ELN, AUC to make sure they don't try something in panama.

Magical123

Banned
MHAHAHAHHAA Nope, Brazil is trying to rebuild after their own dictadorship and venezuela is still the aftermatch certain incident.... plus here nobody do that, panama might even pay more money to the FARC,ELN, AUC to make sure they don't try something in panama.
Even so any fledgling democratic government would be deathly concerned with an actual kingpin running a country on their border.

Wouldn't they at least support various insurgencies, and so on?

Even so any fledgling democratic government would be deathly concerned with an actual kingpin running a country on their border.

As a Colombian left me tell you something...till the past decade(2002 onward) the goverment have an strange 'let be and be in your areas' with the 'insurgents groups' was how goverment collapse that we restarted a very gruesome guerilla warfare and if you see even a former Minister(secretary) of defense take the gamble to negotiated to stop conflict because is simple not stop.

Back into topic, during my countries just by accusation we have rought time with US Congress and other because drugs and other 'unpleasanties' but 90's and other era usa might nto care as long can 'make pressure' as they're worry in other side and our neighboor will not care, south america is like that.

I find it unlikely Brazil would do much about it even under better circumstances but in this case it just got out of the military dictatorship and is in the middle of an economic crisis with inflation so high prices changed between morning and afternoon. I doubt Colombia would even come up much less any level of effort to be spent that way.

Since it's kinda hard to do a Noriega-style intervention, couldn't they just assassinate him and then use the instability to clean out his government?

Easier said than done, considering people had been trying to kill Escobar for decades, and the US government had a poor track record against Castro. They could also fund the Cali Cartel and other potential rivals to Escobar's narcostate.

It would be interesting to see the effect this would have on the international drug trade, in terms of drug prices, effects on other cartels and organised crime groups and narcostates like Guinea-Bissau.

Most likely the US invades Colombia, which would lead to a hardcore Panama/Afghanistan mix. Expect the guerrilla war to be ramped up like hell.