Portuguese Iberian Union

Portugal dominates spain instead of spain dominate portugal

In what period can Portugal get the crown of Spain and the Spanish empire?

Maybe pedro do brasil survives and conquers the crown of spain, founded the united kingdom of iberia, brazil and latin america?

How would this affect the independence of Spanish America and Brazil?

As I recall, there was a war in 1475 and Portugal didn't do too badly but lost on land. Maybe something can be changed there?

Portugal did many times try to gain the Crown of Castile, best chance is the survival of Prince Afonso, the son of John II, because all records show that he had the support of the Portuguese Nobility and this is important in case the Nobility of Aragon and Castile decides to deny either his wife of his possible sons the right to the Crowns.

Greatest effect that this would have is that this new Power would keep the Portuguese tradition of avoiding wars in Europe, while focusing in exploring Asia, the Americas wouldn't be a priority but the usual to do in those circumstances would be to sell charters to privates to explore and conquest.

The wars in Asia will go much better for the Crown with the extra manpower and resources and plans that took years to implement would be finished faster with the much needed extra ships and men. Another problem solved would be the silver crisis, has no doubt that someone would find the Inca and the Peruvian silver mines, best shot for the Incas is that they are treated like the Kingdoms in Africa establish some feitorias to have access to the silver, worst is the heavy hand treatment of just sending the army and navy in strength to ensure that they are vassals of the crown and the establishment of forts in the major cities and mines, and the creation of Iberian settlements in the coast.

Brazil would probably evolve like OTL and Mexico I suspect that it would probably end like OTL.

Portugal did many times try to gain the Crown of Castile, best chance is the survival of Prince Afonso, the son of John II, because all records show that he had the support of the Portuguese Nobility and this is important in case the Nobility of Aragon and Castile decides to deny either his wife of his possible sons the right to the Crowns.

Greatest effect that this would have is that this new Power would keep the Portuguese tradition of avoiding wars in Europe, while focusing in exploring Asia, the Americas wouldn't be a priority but the usual to do in those circumstances would be to sell charters to privates to explore and conquest.

The wars in Asia will go much better for the Crown with the extra manpower and resources and plans that took years to implement would be finished faster with the much needed extra ships and men. Another problem solved would be the silver crisis, has no doubt that someone would find the Inca and the Peruvian silver mines, best shot for the Incas is that they are treated like the Kingdoms in Africa establish some feitorias to have access to the silver, worst is the heavy hand treatment of just sending the army and navy in strength to ensure that they are vassals of the crown and the establishment of forts in the major cities and mines, and the creation of Iberian settlements in the coast.

Brazil would probably evolve like OTL and Mexico I suspect that it would probably end like OTL.
What would be the fate of the Dutch Republic or lack thereof in your opinion?

What would be the fate of the Dutch Republic or lack thereof in your opinion?

Hard to tell because I don't know much about the Dutch Republic but I shall give it a go.

Well for starters they are kept under Austrian control and considering their loyalty to Charles, I doubt that there would be any problems during his reign, but the problems would be during the Austrian-Ottoman conflicts, he may get Iberian naval aid in this because Lisbon had already targeted the Ottomans has an enemy since Afonso V, in this Austria won't have naval power to stop the Ottoman advance so they may be forced to raise taxes to either create a navy or to bribe naval powers capable of fighting the Ottomans, the Italian Republics and/or the Iberian Power, to fight with him. This taxe raise may cause problems in the Netherlands.

The problem is trying to guess what would happen during the protestant reformation. Charles domains in Austria and in the Netherlands don't give him enough power to fight off the Ottomans and fight against the Protestants, so during Worms he will be forced to actually listen to Luther and achieve a comprimisse because if he doesn't he doesn't has OTL's Spanish Armies, Ships and money to finance his wars.

Now if the Netherlands revolt after Charles dies or abdicates, Lisbon will be forced to interfere because Antwerp was an important part of the Portuguese trade network. How this would evolve I don't know but Lisbon would never tolerate anyone interfering with their trade and Austrians and Dutch fighting in the Netherlands is an interference.

To be honest, in case of a Portuguese-Castillian Union, I think there is a fair chance Aragon would remain independent.