Status
Not open for further replies.
5cSjvfs.png

WIP I've worked on recently. Maitland Plan is put into affect, with some notable changes. The British garner support with the local hispanophones by promising their "independent" republics will be protected by British forces. Chilean Independence was secured quickly. But to keep the Chileans from whining to loudly about the British acquisition of Patagonia, they've been given the green light from Montevideo to capture a few more pacific islands then they would've otherwise had. Also the British took William Fullarton's advice about using a pacific fleet from India to seize Quito and Lima. Thoughts?

It looks like the Incas have experienced Interesting Times(TM).

Their empire once extended far more. Now they are more like the Holy Roman Empire, with many apus (governor) swearing fealty to the Inca only in name. Their cultural and political influence is very, very deep however. Think the Roman Empire.

What's that group in the south of South America? Or to the east of it?

The greenish are a confederation of tribes led by the Mapuche; they are mostly nomadic and raid the more settled northern nations though some are starting to settle. The reds in Tierra del Fuego are the Selknam, mostly ignored due to their remoteness except for traders.

As for the east, you'll have to be more specific? The small dots are Taino trade posts, for their trade routes from the Caribbean to the Rio de La Plata.

Industrial Revolution seems to be rather ambitious given the technological levels and rate of development of the pre-Colombian Americas. That said, you've created a butterfly with some very large wings, and there's a lot about pre-Colombian civilizations that we (let alone I) don't know, so perhaps they were ripe for a massive tech boom. It would seem that writing would have to catch on to a MUCH larger degree before that would start happening though.

What qualifies the Old World? Are Nordic Icelanders and Greenlanders still around? What about Africa? Australia?

Native Americans were *behind* technologically from other cultures that is true, but they had a large urban population and very sophisticated societies. With such a POD I believe an industrial revolution is a plausible event, even conservative.

You are right that writing would have need to be developed to store and spread ideas. In this scenario, the Inca empire by necessity had to develop a writing system, based on textile patterns and the quipus. The main storage form is thus textile, but stone/mud tablets and other forms also exist. Other cultures in South America. have developed their own scripts based on the Inca. Mesoamerican cultures have their own.

The only thing included is Greenland, and from what I've researched the settlements there were already abandoned, so there's little difference. For the purposes of this senario, there are no humans outside the Americas, since that's the point.
(I guess archeologists might be puzzled by the remains of settlements at Greenland though...)

Question: what is considered as being the "old world" for the purposes of this scenario? In particular, are Australia, Oceania, Greenland, Iceland, and Macaronesia considered as being part of the Old World?

None of them except Greenland.

That kind of scenario might be interesting, though.

Their empire once extended far more. Now they are more like the Holy Roman Empire, with many apus (governor) swearing fealty to the Inca only in name. Their cultural and political influence is very, very deep however. Think the Roman Empire.

The greenish are a confederation of tribes led by the Mapuche; they are mostly nomadic and raid the more settled northern nations though some are starting to settle. The reds in Tierra del Fuego are the Selknam, mostly ignored due to their remoteness except for traders.

As for the east, you'll have to be more specific? The small dots are Taino trade posts, for their trade routes from the Caribbean to the Rio de La Plata.

Native Americans were *behind* technologically from other cultures that is true, but they had a large urban population and very sophisticated societies. With such a POD I believe an industrial revolution is a plausible event, even conservative.

You are right that writing would have need to be developed to store and spread ideas. In this scenario, the Inca empire by necessity had to develop a writing system, based on textile patterns and the quipus. The main storage form is thus textile, but stone/mud tablets and other forms also exist. Other cultures in South America. have developed their own scripts based on the Inca. Mesoamerican cultures have their own.

The only thing included is Greenland, and from what I've researched the settlements there were already abandoned, so there's little difference. For the purposes of this senario, there are no humans outside the Americas, since that's the point.
(I guess archeologists might be puzzled by the remains of settlements at Greenland though...)

None of them except Greenland.

That kind of scenario might be interesting, though.

I love this PoD! I've thought about similar things myself. It seems like contact between the Andes and Mesoamerica could have a big impact when it occurs, bringing writing from Mesoamerica to the Andes and exchanging crops and animals between both - like the Colombian Exchange in miniature?

EngScot.gif

Still working on "Serpentworld" and "Brokenworld", but here's a doodle where I split the British Isles into regions and used a RNG to determine the results of a FFA on the isles. After a 100 rounds the Scottish Highlands won out after a surprising turn in the last quarter.

Here's a heat map showing how recently the Highlands established complete control (i.e. wasn't contested to the end) of an area. The reds are all after turn 50 and the brightest ones in the late 80 and 90s.
EngScotconq.png

With date of complete control labeled:
Engscotcon.png

Last edited:
View attachment 277266
Still working on "Serpentworld" and "Brokenworld", but here's a doodle where I used I split the British Isles into regions and used a RNG to determine the results of a FFA on the isles. After a 100 rounds the Scottish Highlands won out after a surprising turn in the last quarter.

Here's a heat map showing how recently the Highlands established complete control (i.e. wasn't contested to the end) of an area. The reds are all after turn 50 and the brightest ones in the late 80 and 90s.
View attachment 277267
View attachment 277268
Amazing!

View attachment 277266
Still working on "Serpentworld" and "Brokenworld", but here's a doodle where I used I split the British Isles into regions and used a RNG to determine the results of a FFA on the isles. After a 100 rounds the Scottish Highlands won out after a surprising turn in the last quarter.

View attachment 277267
View attachment 277268
Glory to Shetland and Orkney!

mehworldwind3.png
The prevailing winds and oceanic currents of a fictional world. I haven't worked on this in several weeks and'll probably be too busy to do so continuing into the foreseeable future, so, might as well share what I've got for now. Thanks to Beedok, who I talked to about this probably a month ago now. I'll answer any and all questions.

View attachment 277266
Still working on "Serpentworld" and "Brokenworld", but here's a doodle where I split the British Isles into regions and used a RNG to determine the results of a FFA on the isles. After a 100 rounds the Scottish Highlands won out after a surprising turn in the last quarter.

View attachment 277267
View attachment 277268
Sorry to double comment on your post, but would you mind sharing your process of making this? I've tried doing RNG worlds in the past, but I'm never sure where to start. Where do I put the numbers, and how do I know how far to expand everything? :p

Sorry to double comment on your post, but would you mind sharing your process of making this? I've tried doing RNG worlds in the past, but I'm never sure where to start. Where do I put the numbers, and how do I know how far to expand everything? :p

I would be flattered to share how I make these! My process is very simple and more artistic than mechanics-based, though.

I just go open up Random.org alongside MS Paint, and then for each conflict (here, each individual war of region v. region) I roll a number (1-100) for each combatant. If the numbers are less than 10 apart (1 v 9, 42 v 37), I let the conflict zone stagnate with minor border changes. If the numbers are a bit larger than 10 apart (87 v 62, 15 v 32) then the winners wins a notable amount of territory. As the disparity becomes more drastic (60 v 20, 10 v 72, 2 v 97) I grant the winner relatively more and more (based upon the size of each country and the area being contested). In sea invasions I tend to make 25 the number to beat instead of 10, which is why the Isle of Mann survived for so long.

For how much land to grant to winner, I just go with what seems correct for the result and I think looks right for the occasion. Ayrshire, Kent, and Cornwall survived quite large disparities to give them a fighting chance, for instance.

Here's my MOTF. I was initially stuck between doing a 'super-Morgenthau' sort of thing and a 'USSR post- Bitter Peace', but realized that the two scenarios were not necessarily mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, despite the extension and partially because of a trip I'm taking this weekend I wasn't able to finish this map to remotely the extent I envisioned when I started. Still, I'm fairly happy with the result.

In May 1941, Germany launched Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union. The Red Army was totally unprepared for the rapid and brutal assault, and within two months the Germans had reached the gates of Moscow. In terror and despair, Stalin fled the city to the Volga city of Kubyshev, only to be arrested and shot by conspirators acting under Lavrentiy Beria, head of the NKVD. The Beria government proved no more effective at stopping the German army, and before the onset of winter Moscow and Leningrad had fallen and the Germans were deep into the Caucuses. With the army in tatters and all routes for foreign aid cut off, Beria sued for peace with the Germans. Hitler demanded all regions west of the Volga River, which he described as 'our Mississippi', and the right to deport unlimited quantities of people to the remainder of the Union. Upon arriving back from negotiations to the new capital of Omsk, Beria was captured and shot by an officers' cadre led by Marshall Konstantin Rokossovsky. Knowing the army was not able to reconquer the seized territories immediately, Rokossovsky embarked on a program of reorganization, industrialization and rearmament. The areas west of the Urals were turned into massive military staging zones, and the eastern regions were redivided into smaller, less centralized republics, which were presided over by military commanders. In 1946, four years after the initial peace agreement, the second phase of the Eastern Front was initiated with American atomic bombs being dropped on Berlin and Cologne, and the new Soviet Army (motorized and armored with American aid) streaming across the western frontier. The regions they entered were eerily different from those they had retreated from earlier; the land had been entirely cleared of human life, leaving only the huge facilities in which millions were burned to make way for German settlement of the east. With unrelenting fury the Soviet army continued west until meeting the Western Allies on the Vistula river in early 1950. The Soviet Union regained all her land in the West, which was divided into vast frontier zones for resettlement. As a symbol of the rebirth of the nation, cities which had been wiped off the map during German administration, such as Moscow, were rebuilt to act as regional centers. Germany itself was wiped completely from the map, to ensure that the darkest period in human history would never be repeated.

3wxLkpP.jpg

Here's my MOTF. I was initially stuck between doing a 'super-Morgenthau' sort of thing and a 'USSR post- Bitter Peace', but realized that the two scenarios were not necessarily mutually exclusive. Unfortunately, despite the extension and partially because of a trip I'm taking this weekend I wasn't able to finish this map to remotely the extent I envisioned when I started. Still, I'm fairly happy with the result.
Looks amazing! Could we see more of this world?

Seraphiel

Banned
Party 2 of Cradle of the Gods, 40 years after the last map and 65 since the ISOT.

Part 1

The 2nd Arabo-Iranian War lasts 5 years and devastates Mesopotamia and the northern Levant. Combined armies of modern troops and ancient levies clash across the Fertile Crescent, while initially successful the Saudi momentum in time disappears and the Iranians are eventually able to defeat the Arabians and bring them to the peace table. The end result is a series of minor border concessions, the destruction of the Sunni Hittite Kingdom and the withdrawal of Saudi Arabia from Mesopotamia and Syria. The relatively minor terms of the Treaty of Babylon hid the intense internal issues both combatants faced, especially the Arabs.

While Iran withdraws into itself, leaving Anatolia after briefly occupying the eastern half, and for the next ten years work primarily on maintaining its sprawling empire and keeping dissent in check. In Saudi Arabia meanwhile there comes a long 6 year period of civil war and invasion. As pro-democratic riots break out in the capital the Islamic State senses opportunity and strikes at the Saudis. Unable at decisively dealing with the IS invasion the Saudi state itself collapses into a three civil war between democratic forces, a large portion of the military and the Saudis. By 2048 the democrats and the military enter a coalition and over the next 4 years drive the Saudis into exile in Greece and defeat the Islamic State. The region of Oman suffers huge levels of chemical bombardment but the Sunni extremist state is destroyed, the brutality of that conflict however sidelines the ‘democratic’ elements of the Arab revolutionaries, the subsequent Arab Federation born out of the civil war will be largely stratocratic in nature. Due to the theocracy of the Saudis and the horrors of the Islamic State the Federation is decidedly secular when compared to its predecessor.

Over the next 30 years the Saudis form a syncretic Greco-Arab civilization in Hellas, even going so far as adopting some undeniably pagan elements to keep their fragile hold over a much larger native population, all the while claiming that someday they will return to reclaim their throne. Iran exits it’s isolation after losing control of the Ganges Kingdom when its people slaughter the Shia King and purges most Shia influence. Plans for a massive invasion are scrapped in favor extending Iran’s tributary network in Asia Minor instead, that course of action was much more the result of internal politics than anything else as Iran’s government is increasingly dominated by an archaic ultra-conservative Revolutionary Guard and its powerful rival, the Shia clergy. Underneath the dominating pillars of the Islamic Republic lies a seething mass of humanity tired of a terrible economy and constant warfare. Plus they cannot help but notice that the Arabs are doing fine for themselves under their new government.

The Arab Federation manages to rebuild itself from the ashes of the civil war, implementing liberal economic and social policies that rapidly transformed the state. Egypt is invaded after a nationalist Pharaoh executes ten Arab merchants for refusing to sell him tanks, it falls rather quickly and with limited bloodshed (beyond two Egyptian armies being obliterated by cluster bombs) but as Egyptian civilization is prone to do a new independent dynasty relocates to Nubia and bides its time. Meanwhile the Arabs begin to exploit the tribes of Europe by establishing a series of trading posts throughout the Mediterranean, selling cheap trinkets for gold, silver, furs and grain.

Technology is slowly trickling out towards the Bronze Age states but for the most part little real progress has been made on that front. Certainly nobody besides the Arabs and Iranians have any production capability.

Test_zpszriob9m8.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.