Decisive Darkness: What if Japan hadn't surrendered in 1945?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not an update I'm afraid, although more on that later, I'm happy to announce that the project of getting Decisive Darkness is now available to be purchased on Kindle, why buy it when you can read it here for free, you ask? Because although the book follows a roughly similar pattern of events there are large changes, including one major one, between the TL you can read here and the one you should buy.

I'm currently writing Part 2, which will include some content that has already been posted on this thread, though considering the rough outline's similairty I will be able to update this TL at the same time, at last, within the next week. I can't describe how thnakful I am for the support those who've posted regularly in this thread have given me, there's no chance this would be published by the great folks over at Sea Lion Press if it wasn't for your support and enthusiasm at every stage.

I hope everyone enjoys Part 1 and is looking forward to incoming updates. :)

12662690_10153892114047350_7800734745081098544_n.jpg

John Farson

Banned
How much editing and proof-reading was involved?

I'm asking because I'm reading the sample of the printed edition and I've already spotted numerous mistakes.

John Farson

Banned
It was good, though the mistakes hampered the reading. Actually, I'll just post what one person reviewing the book already wrote on Amazon (and no, I'm not that person):

Hynes clearly displays what is becoming an increasing issue with self-published titles. The concept and much of the execution may be quite good only to be decimated (for the reader) due to incredibly poor proofing of the final draft. This title has that issue in spades and it is not limited to errors caused by over-reliance on a spell checker alone. In addition to frequent misuse and omission of articles (a, the) conjunctions (and, or) and prepositions (to, as) you will also find confusing run-on sentences and sentences containing edits that were never completed. There were several sentences throughout the story that contained two phrases, both which would work by themselves. One was clearly slated for removal which was not done. No, I am not an English teacher, just a very avid reader that finds the lack of follow-through incredibly disturbing, especially when a story is well put together and researched like this one. This title is in desperate need of a revised edition that has been proofed by someone the author trusts to eliminate the issue of reading what you thought you wrote rather than what is actually on the page when proofreading your own efforts.

Not an update I'm afraid, although more on that later, I'm happy to announce that the project of getting Decisive Darkness is now available to be purchased on Kindle, why buy it when you can read it here for free, you ask? Because although the book follows a roughly similar pattern of events there are large changes, including one major one, between the TL you can read here and the one you should buy.

And here's the .com version of the link, ready to support your chosen charity, as well. (Mine is the Yet Another Society, because I'm a Perl programmer. Not all of us are in the .uk. :)) It's gone on my watch list.

Finally caught up! My thoughts so far:

1) Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and Cthuhlu this is grim :eek:! But very well done imo

2) I think soviet-occupied Hokkaido should eventually be called the People's Republic of Ezo or some variation there of, it sounds better then North Japan and the flag of Ezo wouldn't need much tweaking to be appropriate for a communist state:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ezo#/media/File:Flag_of_the_Republic_of_Ezo.svg

3) Congrats on getting published by Sealion Press!

Quick note - is anybody on here happy to second this for the Turtledoves this year? After having been pipped at the post twice now it really deserves it!

It was good, though the mistakes hampered the reading. Actually, I'll just post what one person reviewing the book already wrote on Amazon (and no, I'm not that person):

Thanks for your concern here John, you've always been a big held. Work is currently underway to iron out these issues.

Quick note - is anybody on here happy to second this for the Turtledoves this year? After having been pipped at the post twice now it really deserves it!

Done. Let's see if third time's the charm, eh?

Aw cheers guys. :eek:

Although it should be noted that the only reason I lost the last two times was because Blunted Sickle is such a good TL!

It was good, though the mistakes hampered the reading.

Just to let everyone know, these issues have now been fixed. Thanks again. :)

Finally caught up! My thoughts so far:

1) Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and Cthuhlu this is grim :eek:! But very well done imo

2) I think soviet-occupied Hokkaido should eventually be called the People's Republic of Ezo or some variation there of, it sounds better then North Japan and the flag of Ezo wouldn't need much tweaking to be appropriate for a communist state:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ezo#/media/File:Flag_of_the_Republic_of_Ezo.svg

3) Congrats on getting published by Sealion Press!

Thanks! A new Ezo is an interesting idea but Nosaka's aim is to spread the revoluton throughout all of Japan eventually and I imagine that would be the official aim of any new state that he was behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.