Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archangel Michael, have you ever heard of Project Valkyrie or Project Daedalus? They could speed up travel between the worlds in AJND tremendously (Using Valkyrie, one could take a morning commute to Titan!), and obviously expand Human civilization.

No, the Oort cloud only reaches about halfway to Nemesis.

Got it. I'm also guessing Nemesis is 95,000 AU/1.5 light years from the Sun, since that's where Nemesis was predicted to be.

A little exercise showing why the opposition in Canada (Liberals, NDP) wants some form of electoral reform, and why the government (Conservatives) does not.

Basically, this was an exercise to show how ranked balloting would work in Canada. I chose that since in my opinion it seems like the most likely type of reform to come to Canada's electoral systems (since a) the Liberals prefer this, and are more likely to form the next government than the NDP, and b) I feel like it'd be easier to pass a ranked-ballot reform than any other type). I took the most recent poll I could find with second-choices listed in depth (this one by EKOS. It's from May, so it's a bit old, but fortunately it doesn't differ too much from current polling), applied the regionals, and then narrowed down the second choices until someone received over 50% of the vote.

For comparisons sake, I also included what the results would be under first-past-the-post (on the left). The ranked ballot method is on the right.

May 2, 2014 EKOS Poll, Combined.png

It's amazing the final result, particularly that the Conservatives lose nearly half of the seats they won under normal circumstances. They only win 1 seat west of Ontario (Christian Paradis'), as opposed to 7 under normal circumstances, and 4 (as opposed to 14) in British Columbia, and only 24 (as opposed to 44) in Ontario.

This also wipes out the Bloc, and surprisingly hurts the Greens. It backfires against the Liberals in Quebec, where they go from 33 seats under normal circumstances to 26, since Bloc voters overwhelming named the NDP as their second choice. This results in the unusual occurrence of the Liberals winning more seats in the west (35) than in Quebec or the Atlantic (where they win 29)

And people wonder why Liberals like me support ranked-balloting... :p

May 2, 2014 EKOS Poll, Combined.png

Last edited:
So ranked balloting would be another word for AV/preferential/instant-runoff, I'm guessing? If so, we really do not need a fourth term to describe this type of voting.

Also, it's funny how all the faces in the right one are somehow appropriate to the situation.
Trudeau: Ohey, a majority. Not bad.
Mulcair: Hang on a second, you're telling me we're still the opposition, but I lost my seat?
Harper: Goddammit.
May: *looking at Bloc result*
Beaulieu: Ah, merde.

So ranked balloting would be another word for AV/preferential/instant-runoff, I'm guessing? If so, we really do not need a fourth term to describe this type of voting.

Yeah. I know it mostly as ranked ballots, and I think that's what the Liberals refer to it as. Definitely makes it confusing.

Also, it's funny how all the faces in the right one are somehow appropriate to the situation.
Trudeau: Ohey, a majority. Not bad.
Mulcair: Hang on a second, you're telling me we're still the opposition, but I lost my seat?
Harper: Goddammit.
May: *looking at Bloc result*
Beaulieu: Ah, merde.

I definitely chose the pictures for a reason. :p

It's extraordinary how FPTP is somehow more proportional in Canada.

Aaaand that's why I support FPTP. :p

To me it's way more fair.

To be clear, the vote percentages in the second infobox are the number of people who named the party their first preference.

The Liberal and NDP just benefit so much (and the Conservatives suffer so much) because very few Liberals, NDPers, Greens, or even Bloquistes list the Conservatives as their second choice.

Canadian FPTP is fairer than a lot of other FPTPs.

And people say Canada's a dull country, for some reason. :p

One could make the argument for electoral reform in Canada that it would lead to more stable governments instead of the constant minorities they get a lot now: AV would create bigger majorities based on second and third preferences and STV/PR would force parties to make formal coalitions.

The only reason anyone would push for such a system would to disenfranchise center-right and right-wing Canadians.

The real takeaway I get from this is that using attacks-ads (or over the top, so to speak, criticism) would really backfire under such a system.

Think of it like this, few hardcore Liberals would have put the Conservatives as their second choice in 2008 or 2011 because of the attack ads against Dion and Ignatieff.

The real takeaway I get from this is that using attacks-ads (or over the top, so to speak, criticism) would really backfire under such a system.

Think of it like this, no hardcore Liberal would have put the Conservatives as their second choice in 2008 or 2011 because of the attack ads against Dion and Ignatieff.

And more NDPers would vote for the Liberals over the Tories in any situation.

A little exercise showing why the opposition in Canada (Liberals, NDP) wants some form of electoral reform, and why the government (Conservatives) does not.

Basically, this was an exercise to show how ranked balloting would work in Canada. I chose that since in my opinion it seems like the most likely type of reform to come to Canada's electoral systems (since a) the Liberals prefer this, and are more likely to form the next government than the NDP, and b) I feel like it'd be easier to pass a ranked-ballot reform than any other type). I took the most recent poll I could find with second-choices listed in depth (this one by EKOS. It's from May, so it's a bit old, but fortunately it doesn't differ too much from current polling), applied the regionals, and then narrowed down the second choices until some one over 50% of the vote.

For comparisons sake, I also included what the results would be under first-past-the-post (on the left). The ranked ballot method is on the right.

View attachment 243729

It's amazing the final result, particularly that the Conservatives lose nearly half of the seats they won under normal circumstances. They only win 1 seat west of Ontario (Christian Paradis'), as opposed to 7 under normal circumstances, and 4 (as opposed to 14) in British Columbia, and only 24 (as opposed to 44) in Ontario.

This also wipes out the Bloc, and surprisingly hurts the Greens. It backfires against the Liberals in Quebec, where they go from 33 seats under normal circumstances to 26, since Bloc voters overwhelming named the NDP as their second choice. This results in the unusual occurrence of the Liberals winning more seats in the west (35) than in Quebec or the Atlantic (where they win 29)

And people wonder why Liberals like me support ranked-balloting... :p

Really interesting. Well centrist, moderate parties benefit from ranked balloting because they can appeal to moderate voters from the other more ideological parties to the left and right. Also, duckface Trudeau is cool :cool:

Archangel Michael, have you ever heard of Project Valkyrie or Project Daedalus? They could speed up travel between the worlds in AJND tremendously (Using Valkyrie, one could take a morning commute to Titan!), and obviously expand Human civilization.

Got it. I'm also guessing Nemesis is 95,000 AU/1.5 light years from the Sun, since that's where Nemesis was predicted to be.
Not to pre-empt Archie (whilst in the process totally pre-empting him) but the two of us worked together on getting that outer system in order; that's pretty much what's going on re: Nemesis. It was basically a matter of taking all those vague predictions of where stuff Should Be in the outer system/beyond the outer system and saying 'you're correct, you're correct, and you, you're definitely correct,' along with some creative license and random number generation.

As for Valkyrie and Daedelus:
High-constant-acceleration rockets like Daedelus are what I believe he decided on for speedy travel, but they're also expensive; non-urgent travel takes slower paths using lower accelerations or taking more time cruising, so if you *really* needed to get to, say, Neptune from Earth, you could do it in a couple of weeks, but if you weren't an urgent packet, you could take a couple months. (Note that to attain its speeds, Daedelus would be running for multiple years; constant acceleration chemical rockets can only go so fast when they need to start stopping halfway through the trip.)

Valkyrie relies on massive amounts of antimatter production which, from what I know of the universe, I simply don't see happening on a large scale in AJND, for pretty much the same reason I don't see it happening on a large scale in OTL at that point; it's expensive as hell. Even in AJND, where you have nuclear-powered cars, the sheer power requirements to produce that much antimatter means that even if there is a Valkyrie, it'll be a unique project, not an everyday occurrence.

One more thing: where is the second Green seat?

Saanich-Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca. Mostly because the Greens do really well in British Columbia, and it's right next door to May's. If I was going based on my gut, I'd say the Greens would also be able to win Victoria (probably more likely than Esquimalt, IMO).

Edit: Sorry, it's Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke. I didn't realize they'd already changed the name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.