AHC: Chancellor Erwin Rommel

Assuming that he survived WWII, make Erwin Rommel Chancellor of (West) Germany during the Cold War. You can also elaborate on the possible butterflies.

Rommel ends up in a coma after his car accident. The SS assuming he won't make it passes him over. The British find out about his involvement in the July Plot and planning an armistice from the wiretapped conversations of Heinrich Eberach in the West same time as OTL in September of 1944.

Stalin is more aggressive after the war and there is even more brinkmanship in Europe, Greece falls to Communism, it looks even more like WW3 or more a question of when not if. Then its not hard to see the British and Americans 'drafting' him for the job.

The interesting thing is he would have the political ability to be harder on the SS and certain other persons that committed genocide in the East then Adenauer could get away with. Would he focus heavily on putting Germany on a footing to prepare for war? Yes. Though I think he would have a greater focus on developing the scientific and engineering aspects of the German economy then one might think given he had a great interest in engineering, math and the sciences.

This assumes he wouldn't face charges at Nuremburg focused around his use of slave labor. This might be ASB.

The WAllies used German soldiers as forced laborers after the war for quite some time... a very long time in the case of Russia. Rommel at least ordered that French laborers be paid for their work and be treated humanely and would go around the Atlantic Wall and try to improve their conditions where he could.

During Rommel's time in France, Hitler ordered him to deport the country's Jewish population; Rommel disobeyed. Several times he wrote letters protesting against the treatment of the Jews. He also refused to comply with Hitler's order to execute Jewish POWs.

At his 17 June 1944 meeting with Hitler at Margival, he protested against the atrocity committed by the 2nd SS Panzer division Das Reich, which in retribution had massacred the citizens of the French town of Oradour-sur-Glane. Rommel asked to be allowed to punish the division. While he implemented the construction of the many obstacles to strengthen the Atlantic Wall, Rommel directed that French workers were to be paid for their labour, and were not to be used as slave labourers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

The chance of Rommel being tried at Nuremburg is approximately zero. Even Manstein wasn't tried at Nuremburg, it was mainly politicians, bureaucrats and hated desk generals who just issued genocidal orders that did. Field commanders like Manstein whose actions were 'too much' even by the standards of the time were given a slap on the wrist (he ended up spending 4 years in jail) and he wasn't tried at Nuremburg.

Last edited:
The WAllies used German soldiers as forced laborers after the war for quite some time... a very long time in the case of Russia. Rommel at least ordered that French laborers be paid for their work and be treated humanly and would go around the Atlantic Wall and try to improve their conditions where he could.

The chance of Rommel being tried at Nuremburg is approximately zero. Even Manstein wasn't tried at Nuremburg, it was mainly hated desk generals who just issued genocidal orders that did. People like Manstein whose actions were 'too much' even by the standards of the time were given a slap on the wrist (4 years) and not at Nuremburg.

He was also practically the only German with a positive international opinion during the war at all. No one from the West is going to put Rommel on trial.

And since he never served a day in the East the Soviets won't have much luck in trying to get him.

Hell IIRC even Patton respected him.

Rommel respected Patton as well, not just for his fighting tactics, but also because he let it be known how he felt about Stalin. Rommel told his son to ask Patton to allow him to join his army, but the French poached Rommel's son first as a recruiting tool for their Indochina jungle adventure.

Rommel, Leclerc fight with Foreign Legion

New York (N.A.N.A) - The sons of two bitter wartime enemies are today fighting side by side in Indo China. They are Erwin Rommel Jr., son of the late Field Marshal, and the young Count de Hauteclocque son of the late Free French General who distinguished himself under the name who distinguished himself under the name Leelere in the North African fight against the German "Desert Fox". Both sons are now members of the French Foreign Legion.

With Frenchman forbidden to join the Legion-Marked on the rolls as Belgian and Swiss, and Germans (quota maxium in the Legion is 50 per cent, but that has been far exceeded) listed as Austrian, Swiss, the Foreign Legion, colorful and brutal, continues to grow.

Young Rommel said his father said that if captured he should tell General George S. Patton that Marshal Rommel asked him to take his son into the U.S. Army.

"But, since you can't join the U.S. Army" De Lattre is reputed to have said, "would you join the Foreign Legion". Rommel hesitated and muttered something. "Perfect!" De Lattre said to have exclaimed. "I knew you would want to join the Legion! Congratulations!"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...BAJ&pg=2954,2356559&dq=rommel+indochina&hl=en

Churchill paid him his best tribute at his death, Montgomery perhaps next. How he was viewed at the time only makes sense if you understand that between the British Empire and her Commonwealth, the French, the Italians and the U.S. Army you had nearly the whole Western world involved and officers and the media from the whole Western world at the time were watching what he did and judged him on his actions not on how they felt about the regimes policies as they believed from his actions that he opposed the policies that made Germany hated at the time.

jews2.jpg~original

Last edited:
Rommel is Germany's MacArthur in this case. The left and center will be hitting him hard for his former military history and ties with the Nazis. And seeing how these are the Nazis we are talking about, any ties to them at all would provide plenty of political ammunition. To say nothing of his own rather questionable special relation with Hitler.

Meanwhile on the right end of the spectrum, other former military generals would be criticizing him. Apparently while he's Britain's sweetheart, the actual generals in Germany found him to be rather hard to work with.

So, Germany's MacArthur. Extremely popular with many people, but has too many enemies and too many questionable choices throughout his career, and would be torn apart in a political campaign.

But then again, this is the Desert Fox. Maybe he would be able to once again pull off a surprise and exceed everyone's expectations.

If I was part of his campaign team, I would say his greatest strengths with the electorate are his personal charisma and whatever political policies he is running with. And it has to be about the policies, since running on his war record would be counterproductive. The German electorate has no love for war heroes after that war. Rommel needs to paint himself not as a war hero, but as the archetypical reformed nazi. Trying to dodge the nazi issue wont work, since his opponents will tear him apart with it. He has to present himself as the embodiment of the new postwar German state. Personally charismatic, good with kids, a family man, strong christian values, an atoner for Germany's past, able to acknowledge that Germany and himself were wrong, but with a strong internal drive to atone for those mistakes and press forward into the future to build a new and better Germany.

Even after making himself politically acceptable to the public, he still has to deal with the fact that the Chancellor is not elected by popular vote but is elected by parliament instead. Thats a system that greatly favors professional politicians with established political machines, rather than outsiders like Rommel. Which means he needs to purge himself of taint to become political acceptable, and then after that, he needs to work his way through the Bundestag to gather votes.

It is very difficult.

Rommel is Germany's MacArthur in this case. The left and center will be hitting him hard for his former military history and ties with the Nazis. And seeing how these are the Nazis we are talking about, any ties to them at all would provide plenty of political ammunition. To say nothing of his own rather questionable special relation with Hitler.

Meanwhile on the right end of the spectrum, other former military generals would be criticizing him. Apparently while he's Britain's sweetheart, the actual generals in Germany found him to be rather hard to work with.

So, Germany's MacArthur. Extremely popular with many people, but has too many enemies and too many questionable choices throughout his career, and would be torn apart in a political campaign.

But then again, this is the Desert Fox. Maybe he would be able to once again pull off a surprise and exceed everyone's expectations.

If I was part of his campaign team, I would say his greatest strengths with the electorate are his personal charisma and whatever political policies he is running with. And it has to be about the policies, since running on his war record would be counterproductive. The German electorate has no love for war heroes after that war. '

Rommel needs to paint himself not as a war hero, but as the archetypical reformed nazi. Trying to dodge the nazi issue wont work, since his opponents will tear him apart with it. He has to present himself as the embodiment of the new postwar German state. Personally charismatic, good with kids, a family man, strong christian values, an atoner for Germany's past, able to acknowledge that Germany and himself were wrong, but with a strong internal drive to atone for those mistakes and press forward into the future to build a new and better Germany.

Even after making himself politically acceptable to the public, he still has to deal with the fact that the Chancellor is not elected by popular vote but is elected by parliament instead. Thats a system that greatly favors professional politicians with established political machines, rather than outsiders like Rommel. Which means he needs to purge himself of taint to become political acceptable, and then after that, he needs to work his way through the Bundestag to gather votes.

It is very difficult.

Alot of what you said about German feelings I believe was true by the mid to late 60s. As for the late 40s and early to mid 50s... eh Hitler's racial garbage was discredited, but the war itself being immoral I am not so certain had become a mainstream view. As for the German public having no love of war heroes after the war...

Rommelfilm.png~original

Rommel's road to a chancellorship does run into road blocks if he wants it and pushes for it I certainly agree with that, then he does run into the MacArthur problem. But, I can't see him wanting it or pushing for it as he hated politics.

The road is most open for him like with Ike if the behind the scenes actors decide they can use him as a popular figurehead for the party to promote him for the job which he doesn't want because he is an apolitical soldier, but feels and sends the message to the public that he is being 'drafted' into it for the good of his country with the enemy at the gates ready to invade at any time.

That is what I meant when I said an even scarier early Cold War and it was pretty damn scary to people in the late 40s and early 50s would make such a thing more possible both from Rommel's end considering the job and from the early parties prospective of wanting a soldier who will get votes and make people feel safe from the Red Army. A great many people really did expect Stalin back then to send in the tanks at any time or organize a Communist uprising/coup within West Germany.

Last edited:
That is what I meant when I said an even scarier early Cold War and it was pretty damn scary to people in the late 40s and early 50s would make such a thing more possible both from Rommel's end considering the job and from the early parties prospective of wanting a soldier who will get votes and make people feel safe from the Red Army. A great many people really did expect Stalin back then to send in the tanks at any time or organize a Communist uprising/coup within West Germany.
If I was German during a Soviet invasion, I would want Erwin Rommel leading the Army; not playing politics.

If I was German during a Soviet invasion, I would want Erwin Rommel leading the Army; not playing politics.

One could say the same for Ike and yet he was 'drafted' to deal with Korea and to prepare for what people saw as the coming war with the Soviets. Ike thus created the first large professional standing U.S. military.

Americans also wanted Ike because they wanted a face that the Soviets would respect and somewhat fear at the helm as they believed there was deterrence power in that to avoid the kind of adventurism that Khrushchev did with Kennedy.

Germany had no military in the late 40s and even early 50s, but the plan was to rebuild it to deal with the Soviet threat. A worse Cold War situation if the parties wanted Rommel as Chancellor it would be for similar reasons as Ike was elected minus Korea... a reassuring face for the public in a time of great worry that the Soviets will respect and somewhat fear who will rebuild a military force that will protect the country from invasion.

The heyday of such generals/political leaders was gone by the 60s when views changed and the Cold War entered a different phase. Only certain people like De Gaulle didn't get the hint and couldn't change with the times.

Last edited:
He was also practically the only German with a positive international opinion during the war at all. No one from the West is going to put Rommel on trial.

Yes, this.

He is one of the rather few actors of WW2 who is remembered in a positive light even to this day. There are places, streets, Bundeswehr barracks, etc. named after him, which wouldn't be even remotely possible if he was considered a war criminal. Rommel was for WW2 what von Lettow-Vorbeck was for WW1: Highly competent and somewhat conservative -yet nowhere near any extremes-; a gentleman with a moral compass and a sense of decency, even during the darkest times - and both of them refused to be exploited for political reasons.

That being said, I seriously doubt that Rommel would have pursued a political career following WW2.