Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure what I did here, let me try and tell a story.

attachment.php

The Mesic government's response to the depression, and record high unemployment for the 4th Yugoslavia led to a massive loss for the Yugoslav People's Party, and led Đukanović back in for a 3rd ministry as chairman of the Peoples Radical Party. They took from the Democratic Party, which had functioned as a junior partner to the Mesic government, and even Izetbegović's Yugoslav Muslim Organisation, partially out of distaste of his strong handed rule over the party. The only other party to gain seats was the authoritarian and supremely anti-EU Yugoslav Radical Union, surprisingly in many Muslim areas where anti-EU resentment was high. The large diaspora as well as a 2010 election promise led to a reduction in Parliament to 386 seats rather then the previous 392 after an embarrassing incident where 6 members could not be seated.

Ugh, thoughts?

Last edited:
A Minor Meighen Majority

Here's 1989:

Horner’s government wasn’t necessarily the most popular government in Canadian history, but the lack of effective opposition made things easier for him. For starters, both Pierre Trudeau and Ed Broadbent resigned as leaders of their parties, ensuring the survival of Horner’s government for at least a year.

At their convention, the National Liberals elected Bob Kaplan as their next leader, defeating Donald Macdonald, Jean Chretien, Don Johnston, Clifford Lincoln, Sheila Copps, and Raymond Garneau. Macdonald provided his strongest opposition, but the baggage from his brief term of Trudeau’s Finance minister left many Liberals (and Canadians) wary of a potential Macdonald government. For the New Alliance leadership, Windsor MP Howard McCurdy won in a field that included Ian Waddell, Nelson Riis, Svend Robinson, and Bob Skelly.

Despite the opposition having permanent leaders, they both struggled due to their lack of experience. Kaplan in particular struggled in opposition, and sensing an opportunity to win a majority Horner called an election.

The election was dominated by a Conservative campaign characterizing Kaplan as a weak leader who would be unable to lead Canada out of the recession (which the Conservatives, and many Canadians for that matter, continued to blame Pierre Trudeau's National Liberal government for). Kaplan himself struggled on the campaign trail, tending to be gaffe prone, but a strong debate performance allowed him to stop the bleeding, leading some to predict that the Conservatives would once again be elected with a minority. Though few predicted a National Liberal government, Kaplan's debate performance and subsequent improvement on the campaign trail led most expecting him to be given another shot as party leader.

Horner’s gamble paid off, as the Conservatives won a majority government, despite very little support in Quebec – a first in modern day Canadian politics that would handicap Horner’s government.

Prime Ministers of Canada:
William Lyon Mackenzie King (Liberal) 1921-1925
Arthur Meighen (Conservative) 1925-1933
Charles Avery Dunning (Liberal) 1933-1939
James Garfield Gardiner (National Liberal) 1939-1953
Brooke Claxton (National Liberal) 1953-1957

Howard Charles Green (Conservative) 1957-1965
James Sinclair (National Liberal) 1965-1973
Alan Eagleson (Conservative) 1973-1980
Jack Horner (Conservative) 1980
Pierre Trudeau (National Liberal) 1980-1984
Jack Horner (Conservative) 1984-1986
Pierre Trudeau (National Liberal) 1986-1987
Jack Horner (Conservative) 1987-present

A Minor Meighen Majority
Canadian Federal Election 1925

Canadian Federal Election 1929

Canadian Federal Election 1933
Canadian Federal Election 1937
Canadian Federal Election 1940
Canadian Federal Election 1945
Canadian Federal Election 1950
Canadian Federal Election 1955
Canadian Federal Election 1957
Canadian Federal Election 1958
Canadian Federal Election 1961

Canadian Federal Election 1965
Canadian Federal Election 1967
Canadian Federal Election 1969
Canadian Federal Election 1973
Canadian Federal Election 1977
Canadian Federal Election 1980
Canadian Federal Election 1984
Canadian Federal Election 1986
Canadian Federal Election 1987
Pierre Trudeau

And here I was hoping for an eternal Trudeau-Horner rivalry where they switched PM for decades.

The Mesic government's response to the depression, and record high unemployment for the 4th Yugoslavia led to a massive loss for the Yugoslav People's Party, and led Đukanović back in for a 3rd ministry as chairman of the Peoples Radical Party. They took from the Democratic Party, which had functioned as a junior partner to the Mesic government, and even Izetbegović's Yugoslav Muslim Organisation, partially out of distaste of his strong handed rule over the party. The only other party to gain seats was the authoritarian and supremely anti-EU Yugoslav Radical Union, surprisingly in many Muslim areas where anti-EU resentment was high. The large diaspora as well as a 2010 election promise led to a reduction in Parliament to 386 seats rather then the previous 392 after an embarrassing incident where 6 members could not be seated.

Ugh, thoughts?

At first I was going to say "I know nothing about modern Yugoslavian politics" but then I realized that there are no modern Yugoslavian politics. So did Yugoslavia no disintegrate here?

A Jovian Election Night's Dream
The 2153 Xanadu premier election is believed to have begun a realignment of Xanadu politics that unseated the Sears coalition that had dominated Xanadu politics during the 2140s. John Lyman Sears considered running for a fourth term in 2153, but decided against it due to his age (83 by election day) and popularity (dipping as low as 48% in winter 2152), leading to a wide open election. Sears's dip in popularity could be attributed to several social issues that had arisen during his final term. The economy was still humming along, with low inflation, low unemployment and high productivity--though plenty of fiscal conservatives and budget hawks were worried about rising budget defecits and spending.

One of the largest issues was human settlement on the Xanadu frontier. The government had limited the number of human homesteads, instead preferring to parcel out land to the indigenous centaurs. This did not sit well with many frontierists (particularly those within Columbia's Light, which had heistantly endorsed Sears the previous three elections) who wanted to open up the frontier for human settlement. The frontierists had always been a bit uneasy with Sears, who had spent much of the late 2130s (particularly during the Sexual Revoltuion) fighting against human settlers and sooners (in particular, Mina Fowler of the American Volunteers) in central Xanadu.

The other pressing issue was the question of centaur marriage and birth rates. The centaur sex ratio had always been skewed heavily female (more than 80% of centaurs in pre-Revolution Xanadu were female), the numbers had become even more skewed following the Sexual Revolution with the male centaur population more than halved. The population growth rate of centaurs had cratered to far below replacement levels, but they were beginning to recover with the introduction of artificial wombs for centaurs which would allow two females to produce a child. With that introduction, population growth began to slowly recover but their was the question of who to pay for it. Use of artificial wombs for humans and most other alien species was subsidized by Medicare, but there was some resistance for government subsidies for centaur artificial wombs, particularly when Equallis was still being heavily subsidized. Centaur marriage was an overlapping issue. Centaur marriages were traditionally polgamous with one male and several female wives, but with the ever-declining number of males (and the impending, implied gendercide if the John Birch Society was to be believed), this was becoming untennable. Many females still believed in "traditional centaur marriage" and entered into all-female polygamous marriages that were not legally binding. This was not a right-left issue. Conservatives could argue for traditional centaur marriage or traditional human marriage, while liberal could argue for freedom of sexual expression or against tradition--while there was a very small, but vocal contingent that argued that marriage should always just be one man, one woman.

These issues overlapped to create a very intense and vigerous election as both parties quickly aligned around chosen candidates. Dr. Bryan C. Condon declined a second run for Premier, instead endorsing Senator Eliza Gaul of Geronimo (his running mate in 2149) for Premier. Incumbent Democratic Deputy Premier Alf Butler declined to run, and the establishment (with Sears's backing) quickly rallied behind Dr. Hazel Blackwell of Sagittarius, the Secretary of Public Health and the former President of the University of Sagittarius. Gaul was a charismatic moderate who opposed further frontier settlement and artificial womb subsidies and supported rollbacks of Equalis subsidies, tax cuts and a balanced budget. Blackwell was a doctor and xenobiologist who'd been one of the pointmen for the Ordonez and Sears administrations for Equalis. She supported the centaur artificial womb subsidies and expanded welfare projects, but like Gaul, opposed expanded human settlement on the frontier.

However, Blackwell was criticized by both the left and the right. The left was, in particular, critical of her foreign policy as--like Sears--she opposed expanded trade talks with neighbors and supported a military buildup against the Scandinavian Nifelheim to the east. Many prominent left-wing Democrats left the Democratic Party to back Helen Collins of New Yuma for Premier. Collins was Sears's former Environmental Secretary who had resigned over national and commonwelath park issues. She joined the Green Party, and selected State Senator Miller Gonzalez of Minos (a Democrat) as her running mate. The right was opposed to further "special rights" for the centaurs and supported expanded and unregulated human settlement. Columbia's Light refused to endorse either Blackwell or Gaul, instead nomination former Lieutenant Governor Blaine Hibbert of Asclartos for Premier on a platform of scaling back government welfare for centaurs and deregulating government regulation for human frontier settlement.

The Blackwell campaign believed that the election would be an easy one despite Hibbert and Collins splintering the Democratic vote. She relied heavily on Sears's backing and funding. Gaul ran an insurgent campaign, focusing on her own charisma and record in the Commonwelath Senate. Despite her rather tepid support of Equalis and artificial womb funding, her support for civil rights and same-sex plural marriages continued the (minor) Republican-swing that Condon had started. The Blackwell campaign was far too complacent, and ended up paying the price for it. Eliza Gaul squeaked by on a narrow victory of 15,000 votes as Hibbert and Collins managed to siphon more than 1.7 million votes away from Blackwell. The loss was a wake up call for many Democrats, who had begun to believe that they'd created a permanent Democratic majority in Xanadu. Sears's coalition was beginning to show signs of splintering between the right and the left, humans and centaurs. With her narrow victory, Gaul promised to work with Democrats and Republicans to create a better, more free Xanadu.

RHvYB9F.png

2127 Dacia
2131 Dacia
2133 Xanadu
2135 Dacia
Second Whaling War
2139 Dacia
2137 Xanadu
2141 Xanadu & 2143 Barasses
2145 Xanadu & 2147 Barasses
2149 Xanadu & 2151 Barasses

Reminds me of 1948, with the slight exception that here Dewey actually does defeat Truman. Also, while I do appreciate the shout-out, why exactly does Xanadu need to defend itself against Scandinavia?

Reminds me of 1948, with the slight exception that here Dewey actually does defeat Truman. Also, while I do appreciate the shout-out, why exactly does Xanadu need to defend itself against Scandinavia?

Yeah, there are shades of 1948 here. I toyed with giving Sears a fourth term but decided three was good enough. And it's not so much as defending itself from Scandinavia as it is the government just rattling some sabers and throwing some circuses to take the public mind away from pressing and divisive social issues.

At first I was going to say "I know nothing about modern Yugoslavian politics" but then I realized that there are no modern Yugoslavian politics. So did Yugoslavia not disintegrate here?

Ja. Also it has Bulgaria (see the DS leader) in it, for total population of 30 million. I'm mildly curious about going back and turning this into a series (because everyone's made an American or Canadian infobox series, but who's done Yugoslavia?), if I can find a good place to start.

Ja. Also it has Bulgaria (see the DS leader) in it, for total population of 30 million. I'm mildly curious about going back and turning this into a series (because everyone's made an American or Canadian infobox series, but who's done Yugoslavia?), if I can find a good place to start.

Do it. Originality and new things are always fun.

Dementor

Banned

attachment.php

Ugh, thoughts?
A democratic Yugoslavia that contains Bulgaria is not something that I've seen yet, and it looks promising (except for the politicians, of course - Borisov and Seselj in the same country!)
I would be interested to know how exactly Yugoslavia is structured. My general opinion would be that without an impossible compromise over Macedonia no non-dictatorial union between Bulgaria and Yugoslavia could work for long but perhaps you have some solution. And the fact that the parties are called by their Serbo-Croatian names only doesn't show that Bulgaria doesn't have lots of influence, which would be another factor working against a successful union.

Dementor

Banned
To me it looks like there are quite a few more Polish civilian deaths, which would make sense seeing as how the Germans have the monopoly on violence.
Still thousands of German civilian casualties in a region with a very small German population seems strange. And Nazi reprisals tended to be a lot more disproportional.

A Jovian Election Night's Dream

If we as Americans are to fulfill our manifest destiny, we must treat all people of all species fairly and equally. We must strive towards an empire of liberty that is home to every race and species under the sun, all living peacefully and equally together under the protection of the Great Architect and His angels.
-John Lyman Spears, 2142 inauguration speech

I have made some slight changes to the 2141, 2145 and 2149 Xanadu premier election infoboxes to reflect some casting changes to reflect John Lyman Sears's forthcoming cameo in The Wanderer.

7qhk3Do.png
LlRouEc.png
GeGs07e.png

2127 Dacia
2131 Dacia
2133 Xanadu
2135 Dacia
Second Whaling War
2139 Dacia
2137 Xanadu
2141 Xanadu & 2143 Barasses
2145 Xanadu & 2147 Barasses
2149 Xanadu & 2151 Barasses
2153 Xanadu

Californian presidential election of 1912, bringing in the Social Democrats for the first time, under the "Old Walrus" himself, George W. P. Hunt.

California_1912_Presidential_Hunt.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.