TLIAW- Kayser-i Rum

• Thread starter Deleted member 67076
  • Start date

Deleted member 67076

Ottoman rule over Italy was an interesting endeavor. Rumeli took great care of her possessions and it showed. Roads were rebuilt, cities lavishly restored and great artists, engineers and playwrights patronized. It was, all things considered, rather lenient, with noticeable examples of Ottoman benevolence including lowering taxes (sans the Jizya) and the pockets of serfdom in Ottoman Italy being abolished. This, combined with the superior Ottoman administration, immigration of Rumelians, expansion of trade and the consolidation of most of the lands of Italy into one major state, led to an unprecedented economic and cultural boom. The wealth of Italy, already vast by European spanders, exploded into a splendor never before seen.

This boom, known as the Renaissance to the Italians, was a period of unrivaled marvel in Italy, well regarded as a golden age by later historians, that really cemented Ottoman Rule over the presence. At first, it was fear and might that held Italy together, with the Ottoman military having to crush 4 major revolts in the first 30 years of conquest. But eventually, like during Ostrogothic kingdom before them, the conquered Italian populace eventually saw the Ottomans as a better deal than their predecessors and began to passively accept Turkish rule. This was made significantly easier by the trend of Romanization that occurred as time went by, where Suleyman’s successors attempted to pander to the Italian and Greek populace by embracing their Roman heritage, binding their customs and appointing minority groups to high ranking positions. And finally, after decades of conquest, it was simple inertia and (relatively) excellent living standards of Italy that allowed the Ottomans to rule with a fairly easy yoke on the populace.

But initially, Suleyman did not do much to Italy outside the necessary. His victory was astounding, but holding these vast new domains had was the major concern for him. The Kayser viewed this as his life's work, and thus spent the remainder of his reign ensuring that Ottoman control over Italia would be not slip from the grasp of his empire, not in his reign or the next, or God willing, all who seat on the Kayser’s throne.

What instead followed was several decades of excellent administration and wealth accumulation. Suleymans reign, after its initial waves of conquest, was one of peace and prosperity. Not much really occurred military wise,.a few revolts nonwithstandings. Mimicking his predecessor Orhan, the Kayser instead worked on cementing his legacy, strengthening his realm, and molding the state to his Romanophililc ideal, promulgating a new series of laws, partially modeled on the civil law left by Justinian (among other Byzantine laws) and Islamic law, along with Turkish law to form a new legal code for the Ottomans. It is for this he is often known as the “The Lawgiver” in Rumelia. [1] Living up to the ideas of the philosopher king as espoused by Marcus Aurelius and the Caliph Umar, Suleyman worked hard to clamp down on corruption, champion justice and bind the lands of his predecessors togehter. As well, the kayser most noticeably spent his time restoring both Rome’s to their former glory. in the East, Suleyman oversaw the repopulation of Constantinople, the repairing of its it old facilities, including the Hippodrome, the Hagia Sophia, the baths, and the installation of the Constantinopolitan arsenal, modeled after the Venetian one. By the end of his reign in the 1460s, it is estimated Constantinople was once against a bustling city of 250 thousand souls and growing ever more daily. Similarly, the first Rome was rebuilt, repaired and repopulated, and by 1460s boasted a population of 60,000. Perhaps most noticeably, in a gesture fitting his rank, the Kayser lavishly spent on the restoration of aqueducts, along with the Coliseum and the Forum.

Suleyman would once again set the tradition of wealthy aristocrats patronizing a city via buildings, infrastructure development and sponsorships to many an artist.

In 1467, the Kayser finally died, leaving a vast realm to his son, Orhan. It is thought (although this is most probably a fabrication by later writers) that on his deathbed, Suleyman boasted that, like Augustus, he once again “Found Rome a city of bricks and turned it into a city of Marble.“ We must note however, that for all of the noticeable restoration of Rome, the most developed region of the Ottoman Italy was the south, especially around Bari. Bari was the closest to Rumelia proper, and the vital artery that allowed continued control over Italy. Thus it was of immense strategic value to the Ottomans and would be treated with intense care.

In retrospect, the Kayser certainly earned his title. He is, without a doubt, a worthy successor to the Throne of Augustus, and if the old Romans could see him upon his death they would be pleased that he brought at his success and the honor he brought to the Roman Empire. One of the few philosopher kings, he is honored by modern Rumelians as an ideal of a just and fair ruler, who brought glory to his domains. The fact his portrait is often found in legal houses today as a testament to how his is viewd.

And now, in 1467, the Ottoman Empire would be in the hands of Suleyman’s capable son Orhan. Who, if Suleyman is the Augustus, Orhan is most certainly the Trajan, depsite the man thinking of himself as the modern Justinian. Nonetheless, upon Orhan’s ascension, the Renovatii Imperii continued as scheduled.

[1]: I couldn’t help myself. It was just too good. On another note, I figured this would be a logical outcome following the conquest of such a large and, well, different (both ethnically, culturally and religious) land. The Ottomans are likely, IMO to lay down a law code that can apply to everyone in their empire, and serves as nice callback to the old Romans, which fits their propaganda nicely.

In 1467, the Kayser finally died, leaving a vast realm to his son, Orhan. [...] if Suleyman is the Augustus, Orhan is most certainly the Trajan, depsite the man thinking of himself as the modern Justinian.

Uh-oh. I think it's only natural that this new Roman Empire would expand, but one cannot avoid feeling bad for Europe. (and the Mameluks)

this should entail over-extension, alienating the arabs & traditionalist, followed by losing swathes of land perhaps including eastern anatolia (this third rome is too fun to become a mary sue)

I could see earlier salafi equivalents rising in response to the gavur-emperor to cleanse the faith, with mameluke support.

this could evolve into a quasi-schism in islam.

hows the devşirme system going? slavery after all is a great roman tradition not really banned by allah.

can we see some cameos? machiavelli is about to be born, and donatello should be around but it would be a crime against humanity to force him into calligraphy. does the kayser accept the infidel's paintings? (mind you, this could trigger the iconoclast traditionalist muslims' outrage, nicely tying it with the "schism" i mentioned)

cheers

Deleted member 67076

Next up: Ottoman America?
Nah, America is too far away and too insecure for the Ottoman's taste. At the most you'll see something small like the Danish West Indies.

Uh-oh. I think it's only natural that this new Roman Empire would expand, but one cannot avoid feeling bad for Europe. (and the Mameluks)

You should feel bad for them. :D
this should entail over-extension, alienating the arabs & traditionalist, followed by losing swathes of land perhaps including eastern anatolia (this third rome is too fun to become a mary sue)
Mayhaps, possibly and no.

Losing vast swaths of land is not happening to the Ottoman empire, at least not during this initial period of expansion.

Eastern Anatolia is very, very secure and happy realm, with a nice, defensible border in Armenia. There's little reason the Turks there would (or could) successfully revolt. Of note, the Ottoman empire is more centralized here thanks to a different Timar system and the fact their logistics are more important (what with Italy), prompting the government to take a more 'hands on approach'.

The Mamluks are literally a rotting corpse at this point thanks to the Timurids and their own internal issues stemming from OTL. There's no way they'll put up a threat.

Now, the Ottoman conquest of Egypt here would be different from OTL in a number of ways, but lets say its going to be more.... thorough.

Now, the Maghreb is another issue, but discussing that would give away spoilers.

I could see earlier salafi equivalents rising in response to the gavur-emperor to cleanse the faith, with mameluke support.
It certainly is possible, but such people will be in the background for the most part, especially since they aren't getting access to the printing press for a while.

this could evolve into a quasi-schism in islam.
Your first mistake is implying the Ottomans will allow such a condition to survive. ;)

hows the devşirme system going? slavery after all is a great roman tradition not really banned by allah.
Its spread to Italy. Slavery isn't a big thing in the Ottoman empire that being said.

can we see some cameos? machiavelli is about to be born, and donatello should be around but it would be a crime against humanity to force him into calligraphy.
Yes, we shall see some cameos! :D (I've been waiting to get to this part for a while)

does the kayser accept the infidel's paintings? (mind you, this could trigger the iconoclast traditionalist muslims' outrage, nicely tying it with the "schism" i mentioned)
Yes and no. Religious art involving the prophet and God is a no-no, but court portraits and other art is fine (they were IOTL, case in point Ottoman miniatures.) along with figures from the early Caliphate.

Now, with the Ottomans actively trying to mold themselves in the old Roman traditions (and with the Renaissance coming along they will milk this out for all its worth) you're going to see lots of patronage by the wealthy, which can translate into more artworks being make compared to OTL.

Losing vast swaths of land is not happening to the Ottoman empire, at least not during this initial period of expansion.

Eastern Anatolia is very, very secure and happy realm, with a nice, defensible border in Armenia. There's little reason the Turks there would (or could) successfully revolt. Of note, the Ottoman empire is more centralized here thanks to a different Timar system and the fact their logistics are more important (what with Italy), prompting the government to take a more 'hands on approach'.

The Mamluks are literally a rotting corpse at this point thanks to the Timurids and their own internal issues stemming from OTL. There's no way they'll put up a threat.

oh, of course you wouldn't see territory loss through the period of expansion. I meant after the "5 good padişahs" (or however many).

it is a dynasty after all, you're bound to get some weak monarchs rising to the throne (some ruled by their wives/mothers), pretenders to the throne and all kinds of fun that a dynastic monarchy entails. Before you know it, the momentum of conquest fades, europe gets its act together, ruling a new roman empire brings in the difficulties in administering a giant land (and this time, even the lowliest peasant can wield a musket) and all it takes to ignite the empire is a simple crisis.

I'm just saying there has to be a hangover for a party this big. and when it comes, it will involve domestic problems as well as external threats. you simply cannot please an aspiring astronomer in firenze and a bedouin raider with a single set of policies. some moves made in this age for the sake of centralizaiton & modernization are bound to become the seeds for the chaos of the next one.

but yeah, keep up the good work!

Deleted member 67076

oh, of course you wouldn't see territory loss through the period of expansion. I meant after the "5 good padişahs" (or however many).

it is a dynasty after all, you're bound to get some weak monarchs rising to the throne (some ruled by their wives/mothers), pretenders to the throne and all kinds of fun that a dynastic monarchy entails. Before you know it, the momentum of conquest fades, europe gets its act together, ruling a new roman empire brings in the difficulties in administering a giant land (and this time, even the lowliest peasant can wield a musket) and all it takes to ignite the empire is a simple crisis.

I'm just saying there has to be a hangover for a party this big. and when it comes, it will involve domestic problems as well as external threats. you simply cannot please an aspiring astronomer in firenze and a bedouin raider with a single set of policies. some moves made in this age for the sake of centralizaiton & modernization are bound to become the seeds for the chaos of the next one.

but yeah, keep up the good work!

Oh of course not! This timeline would be boring if it were non-stop Ottoman wank! :D

Rest assured, many will not like what this current set of Osmanli monarchs are doing, but those dissenting elements are mostly being kept quiet by the relative strength of the Ottoman armed forces and the increasingly better and richer position of the Ottomans. Once the momentum fades, well, people will start complaining.

iddt3

Donor
Hmmm, Stable, ultra-wealthy, relatively united Italy? I've heard it said that before 17th Century England, 15th Century Italy was a very good canidate for Industrialization, but then they got steamrolled by the French and Spanish. Now it seems like they'll be largely at peace, with lots of capital chasing investment opportunities...

I could forsee this becoming a situation where the Ottoman's nominal Vassels and buffer states becoming the tale that wags the dog; It depends on how things shake out in the Ottoman heartland. Gunpowder Empires have a poor record on innovation in OTL, but if anyone can prove exception to that it would be the Ottomans. The fusion Greco-Roman-Turk-Muslim identity is a wonderful touch as well.

I'm still waiting to see if the Ottomans will be able to integrate the newly conquered population as well as the original Romans did when they were building their empire.

This means giving everyone in every province, even if it is recently conquered a chance to climb to the highest level of political office on a regular basis. That's usually how empires are sustained, as they need the support of local elites to maintain such a vast empire.

This can reduce tensions and rebellions within the empire, and making it easier for the empire to expand as well. What the Ottomans needs to do now is to create a pan-Eurasian trading network that will not be challenged by the Americas-Europe trading network dominated by the nations facing the Atlantic ocean.

If being part of the newly refounded Roman Empire is able to supply the local elites with all of their trading needs, there will be much incentive for elites in France, Spain and Germany to collaborate with the Romans. However, if they find that there is an alternative route that would allow them to bypass the Ottomans, there is more incentive for them to resist Roman domination.

On theological development, I don't see much difference from OTL. I can see take over of Egypt will still going to witness shift towards more orthodoxy religiously and more Perso-Islamic polity-hood. How both will be applied though, will be put on leash by possession of Italy and the declaration of this OE as successor of Rome, and will also be influenced by other factors in Persia (the whole Shia thing). What's interesting would be the possibility of Ottoman Caesar-(and later)Caliphs emulating some of Roman examples in controlling religion throughout the empire, for better or worse. This is going to run into numerous Islamic blocks, but some of them will might sip in as long as it's not too weird. Salafism and Wahabism-equivalent will might still appear, though it's also subject of outside influence(from the Mughals especially. Fatwa e-Alamgiri was instrumental in reinvigorating Salafism). But I expect this TL's OE will be in much comfortable position to face it.

I think Soverihn has done well in illustrating realistic development of Ottoman Islamic Rome, especially in its absence from subscribing into naive Europeanization-yay assumptions. Make no mistake, Latino-Roman and Italian influences will be huge upon Ottoman Empire and not much less significant throughout Muslim World. Places as far as Aceh will going to feel it. However, two things :
1) The flux is a two-ways road
2) Western ideas are not going to replace things where indigenous solutions work just fine. Means Islamic religion and political culture won't westernize and be made weird beyond what the muslim interests and their already established structures allow.

I'm still waiting to see if the Ottomans will be able to integrate the newly conquered population as well as the original Romans did when they were building their empire.

This means giving everyone in every province, even if it is recently conquered a chance to climb to the highest level of political office on a regular basis. That's usually how empires are sustained, as they need the support of local elites to maintain such a vast empire.

This can reduce tensions and rebellions within the empire, and making it easier for the empire to expand as well. What the Ottomans needs to do now is to create a pan-Eurasian trading network that will not be challenged by the Americas-Europe trading network dominated by the nations facing the Atlantic ocean.

If being part of the newly refounded Roman Empire is able to supply the local elites with all of their trading needs, there will be much incentive for elites in France, Spain and Germany to collaborate with the Romans. However, if they find that there is an alternative route that would allow them to bypass the Ottomans, there is more incentive for them to resist Roman domination.

Ottomans IOTL were already pretty Roman in allowing regional locals meritocratic chance into the highest strata of imperial offices. There might be more old Roman tinge to it ITTL.

I'm not sure if Ottomans will be able to prevent Europeans from gaining alternative route to orient, though perhaps they can mitigate it better IOTL. I'm skeptical that they can maintain monopoly, but holding over Italy alone means binding a chunk of Europe into Ottoman monopoly system as well as gaining more resources and freedom of channeling them into Oriental initiatives, especially this early. But I imagine that they still have to cooperate with other major native players like the Mughals for instance, to blunt European advances.

However, in regards to Ottoman territorial integrity what matters more then control of trade is the strategic depth of their domain. At the very least, Balkans will not be abandoned(it shouldn't be anyway, it was the center of the empire). And from the hints relied by latest updates, Italy won't likely be either.

Last edited:
Changes

Might we see more Islamic art and arcitecture in European cities like we see in Spain? Will we see the introduction of items like coffee and sugarcane and a possible religious toleration in return for tax revenue?

Deleted member 67076

DUDE GREAT WORK KEEP IT UP. :):D:D:D:D:D
Thank you!:D
Ottomans IOTL were already pretty Roman in allowing regional locals meritocratic chance into the highest strata of imperial offices. There might be more old Roman tinge to it ITTL.

I'm not sure if Ottomans will be able to prevent Europeans from gaining alternative route to orient, though perhaps they can mitigate it better IOTL. I'm skeptical that they can maintain monopoly, but holding over Italy alone means binding a chunk of Europe into Ottoman monopoly system as well as gaining more resources and freedom of channeling them into Oriental initiatives, especially this early. But I imagine that they still have to cooperate with other major native players like the Mughals for instance, to blunt European advances.
They won't. To be honest, I don't see how the Ottomans can maintain a perfect monopoly forever. At the very most, they'll delay the inevitable for a few decades. Might mean a slower colonization of the New World.

It also means the Ottomans have a better terminus into Italy, via Milan. IOTL they pretty much only had Ragusa and a few other spots.

However, in regards to Ottoman territorial integrity what matters more then control of trade is the strategic depth of their domain. At the very least, Balkans will not be abandoned(it shouldn't be anyway, it was the center of the empire). And from the hints relied by latest updates, Italy won't likely be either.
Italy won't be abandoned (not over the Kayser's dead body) because, at the very least, Italy is really, really rich (and is going to get richer!). If I had to do a quick guesstimate, I'd say Italy is probably making up at least a good third of Ottoman revenue and the provinces of Italy alone make more money than France does in a year.

Giving up Italy is tantamount to the US giving up the state of California.

Might we see more Islamic art and arcitecture in European cities like we see in Spain? Will we see the introduction of items like coffee and sugarcane and a possible religious toleration in return for tax revenue?
With art, yes. As the updates have mentioned, the Ottomans are trying to settle the depopulated and key areas of Italy (Lazio and Bari, although Calabria is likely to have a big Muslim presence too) with settlers from the homeland. Because of that, these people will bring their own traditions of architecture and design, and change the flair of these regions.

In addition to that, you'll see some architects try to pander to their overlords by creating buildings that they might be more familiar with, which will 1) make these buildings more common, and 2) make them more familiar, so people will get used to the style and like it.

With religious toleration, if you mean the jizya, its already in place, but the Ottoman empire, both in OTL and TTL is significantly tolerant to different religions, especially in comparison to many European countries at this time.

On theological development, I don't see much difference from OTL. I can see take over of Egypt will still going to witness shift towards more orthodoxy religiously and more Perso-Islamic polity-hood. How both will be applied though, will be put on leash by possession of Italy and the declaration of this OE as successor of Rome, and will also be influenced by other factors in Persia (the whole Shia thing). What's interesting would be the possibility of Ottoman Caesar-(and later) Caliphs emulating some of Roman examples in controlling religion throughout the empire, for better or worse. This is going to run into numerous Islamic blocks, but some of them will might sip in as long as it's not too weird. Salafism and Wahabism-equivalent will might still appear, though it's also subject of outside influence(from the Mughals especially. Fatwa e-Alamgiri was instrumental in reinvigorating Salafism). But I expect this TL's OE will be in much comfortable position to face it.

I think Soverihn has done well in illustrating realistic development of Ottoman Islamic Rome, especially in its absence from subscribing into naive Europeanization-yay assumptions.
Thanks! Gotta agree with most of this analysis.

Make no mistake, Latino-Roman and Italian influences will be huge upon Ottoman Empire and not much less significant throughout Muslim World. Places as far as Aceh will going to feel it. However, two things :
1) The flux is a two-ways road
2) Western ideas are not going to replace things where indigenous solutions work just fine. Means Islamic religion and political culture won't westernize and be made weird beyond what the muslim interests and their already established structures allow.
Yep. What you're most likely going to see is the Ottomans taking what they perceive as useful ideas and hybridizing it with their culture.

Things like food will be cross cultural and will spread pretty easily. The printing press will spread, especially among the Christian communities (although the Ottomans will make great use of that).

At the same time, the reverse holds true, and Italy will absorb some Turkish, Muslim and Balkan influences.

Don't be surprised if Italian food has bastard versions of Turkish sweets ITTL, for example.

Arguably this was OTL. At its core the Ottoman Empire was a Muslim Empire, not a Turkish Empire. This means that ethnicity is basically worthless so long as one is Muslim and competent.

Good example of this would be Muhammad Ali of Egypt who was by birth, an Albanian.

I won't say anything because spoilers, but I'll give a hint.

You guys are familiar with the Canal of the Pharaohs right?

Trade aside, there's already a bunch of geopolitical and ideological reasons to go against the Ottoman empire, but yeah, some might decide to play nice with the Ottomans instead of antagonize them because of the trade.

Could we please get some more maps?

But great tmeline!
Ask and you shall receive. Shown below is the Ottoman Empire and its vassals in Green/Light Green respectively. Milan is shown in blue.

Irrelevant to the main story, but of note: The Ottoman Empire is increasing its influence in the Crimea and its owner the Golden Horde at the same time.

Ottomans.png

Thank you!:D
Arguably this was OTL. At its core the Ottoman Empire was a Muslim Empire, not a Turkish Empire. This means that ethnicity is basically worthless so long as one is Muslim and competent.

Good example of this would be Muhammad Ali of Egypt who was by birth, an Albanian.

I won't say anything because spoilers, but I'll give a hint.

You guys are familiar with the Canal of the Pharaohs right?

Trade aside, there's already a bunch of geopolitical and ideological reasons to go against the Ottoman empire, but yeah, some might decide to play nice with the Ottomans instead of antagonize them because of the trade.

One of the biggest problem the Ottomans had was trying to ensure the Christian majority provinces stay loyal to the Empire. A more successful Ottoman empire with more Christians to manage would need to please them successfully and ensure they do not rebel against the empire.

Deleted member 67076

One of the biggest problem the Ottomans had was trying to ensure the Christian majority provinces stay loyal to the Empire. A more successful Ottoman empire with more Christians to manage would need to please them successfully and ensure they do not rebel against the empire.
While I don't doubt that, it runs a bit contrary to the state's policies. What's more likely is that the government will amp up its attempts at conversion and settlement of minority groups, along with generally being open to Christians in the lower ranks of the government. Christians will never be explicitly barred from the government, but its exceedingly unlikely you'll see a Christian in the upper echelon. Same with Jews and any other religious minority.

Deleted member 67076

Could The Ottomans support Grenada? I mean there just across the pond...
Yes and no.

In theory, they could send money, men and try to integrate it into the Ottoman system, maybe as a voluntary vassal like the Barbary states.

However, in practice Grenada is an economic puppet of Castile at this point and any attempts to interfere with Grenada will probably lead to the Castilians immediately invading. As well, sending troops to Grenada would be a bit unsafe at this time without Malta and/or North Africa to use as a springboard and resupply base.

Thats not to say I don't have plans for the Nasrid Emirate. ;)

Could The Ottomans support Grenada? I mean there just across the pond...

As Soverihn said, at this point Grenada was an economic puppet of Castille, kept around as long as it was more valuable in such a role than the completion of the Reconquista. IOTL, much of the reason for the Catholic Monarchs final conquest of Grenada (and for that matter, the Inquistion and state hostility to Conversos) was a result of political motivations around trying to control the Church in Spain and through that construct a nation uniting Castille and Aragon. In fact, much of the Expulsion was due to Aragonese push, Isabela and the Castillians had a lot of use for the Morisco population economically and left to themselves might have been content with forced initial conversion and not worrying much after that. Granted, it's not exactly a progressive viewpoint, but it shows that the Castillians had a more nuanced view of Muslims and Jews than is commonly portrayed.

Here, the Ottomans' support would be invaluable, but not for a reconquest of any of the peninsula. Castille is the most powerful state on the peninsula and to some extent will be tempted to finish off Grenada as evidence of its power and deserving role as leader of the now Avignon-centered Catholic world for its success against the Muslims.

The best way to combat this temptation and ensure a surviving Grenada is for Ottoman interest to make Grenada even more valuable as an economic puppet so the Castillians are less interested in conquering it. If the Grenadans gain a sort of "favored trade nation" status, that could say a lot for their continued existence. Of course, that would push the Aragonese, already rivals in the Western Med, into severe confrontation with the Ottomans, but could potentially lead to a Portuguese-Castillian union that allows Aragon and Grenada to keep existing for profit reasons as it focuses on the Atlantic. It would also possibly cause problems with Venice and Milan, but that's not really my area of expertise.

Regarding other European butterflies, as I've posted on Bacchanalia, the conquest of Italy and the consolidation of the north under Milanese control will largely blunt that direction for Swiss mercenary industry, which will likely instead be focused entirely on internal HRE and French conflicts for the forseeable future. Additionally, the Swiss will be going through something like the Old Zurich War soon, which pit the seceding Zurich and its Hapsburg Imperial allies against all of the Confederation. IOTL the war ended in a stalemate, but given butterflies or Milanese/Ottoman support, the Confederates could be much more successful and force Zurich reintegration much earlier and create a stronger Swiss state in opposition to the HREmperor, which suits Ottoman goals just fine as it creates an internal HRE rival to keep the Hapsburgs from becoming too much of a threat against Italy in the future.

Last edited: