Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't use that word, just use the word implausible, ASB would be if Dion sprouted wings and cast Harry Potter spells on Harper.

I shall use ANY terminology I wish. I'm sorry, but I just see, and this is just my opinion so I don't assume everyone will agree with it, Dion winning a majority, or surviving the coalition process impossible. But hey, if it leads to Prime Minister Jim Prentice...

I shall use ANY terminology I wish. I'm sorry, but I just see, and this is just my opinion so I don't assume everyone will agree with it, Dion winning a majority, or surviving the coalition process impossible. But hey, if it leads to Prime Minister Jim Prentice...

I don't know much about Dion so could you enlighten me as to why you think he wouldn't win a majority or not flounder in this situation?

I don't know much about Dion so could you enlighten me as to why you think he wouldn't win a majority or not flounder in this situation?

Look at the period between 2006 and 2008. Seriously, it's a wonder Harper didn't win a majority in 2008. Plus polling around the coalition crisis showed the Tories with an overwhelming 50%+ support in the polls. I'm sure some people see a way to make Dion a lasting political force, but the POD would have to be way, way back for me.

I can't really do any better than that. The guy was shit at his job, pure and simple. If you want a better example, just watch any of the QP's with Dion as Opposition leader.

Look at the period between 2006 and 2008. Seriously, it's a wonder Harper didn't win a majority in 2008. Plus polling around the coalition crisis showed the Tories with an overwhelming 50%+ support in the polls. I'm sure some people see a way to make Dion a lasting political force, but the POD would have to be way, way back for me.

I can't really do any better than that. The guy was shit at his job, pure and simple. If you want a better example, just watch any of the QP's with Dion as Opposition leader.

I'll give you the fact that Dion was terrible in QP, but the election I had him win a majority in is two and a half years after the coalition was formed. The POD I used to even get the coalition in power was that Dion and Layton acknowledge the support of the Bloc much less (one major point, for instance, not having Duceppe publicly sign the agreement. Duceppe himself thought it was a bad idea, and it really added to the attacks that it was a coalition with separatists).

Also, from what I've read Harper was basically ready to give up and accept defeat up until the infamous Bloc picture, which gave the Conservatives enough ammo to successfully turn public opinion against the coalition. Without these attacks (even if they did occur, I think they'd be less successful without so much vocal support from the Bloc), I don't see the coalition proving to be as horrendously unpopular. And even if they did, again, it's over two and a half years later, enough time for things to change.

But I digress. It was really more a theoretical look at what would happen, and I decided to turn it (somewhat) into Ontario in the mid-1980s, where a Liberal-NDP agreement results in a Liberal Premier/Prime Minister, who subsequently wins a majority.

Since people liked my previous version of "the US with a Canada-style party system", I decided to try some more.

Once again, very interesting. I'd love to see 1992, personally, since a) considering the primaries Bush Sr. went through you'd likely get a good base for the State's Rights Party, and b) assuming Perot's vote share didn't change much, it'd certainly be interesting to see a five-way election race.

2004 in the "US with Canadan-style parties"

Same deal with State's Rights here as in 2000. Their candidate got such a minuscule amount that I didn't even bother figuring out who it would have been. I figured John Edwards, since he ran on the "Two Americas" theme IOTL would have been a Progressive, so I had him as Dean's VP nominee and gave Kerry's veep selection to Tom Vilsack, who was one of the other two on Kerry's OTL shortlist (Dick Gephardt was the third)

uscan04.png

Once again, Bush walks away with the win. Some weird results, like Oregon for some reason not splitting enough to let Bush take it while Washington & California go Republican. New England also goes GOP owing to vote-splitting (except MA & VT). This is also the first election of this type that I've done where none of the congressional districts in Maine or Nebraska differed from the overall state winners.

uscan04.png

Once again, very interesting. I'd love to see 1992, personally, since a) considering the primaries Bush Sr. went through you'd likely get a good base for the State's Rights Party, and b) assuming Perot's vote share didn't change much, it'd certainly be interesting to see a five-way election race.

I'll do 1992 & 1996 elections after 2008.

Independent Quebec!

Here's the final update of my own series.

Rick Hillier's minority government did not last long. Although in his first minority budget Hillier made great pains to try and appeal to both the Liberals and NDP, both parties smelled blood in the water, and brought the government down.

Canada 2018.png

While the NDP had hoped to ride the high approval ratings of party leader Gary Doer to possibly form the official opposition, the party remained stuck in third, although managed to increase their support and win a record 51 seats. Instead, it was the Liberals who benefited the most from the unpopularity of a tired government. With Karen McCrimmon leading the Liberals into her second election campaign as much more of a known quantity, voters increasingly saw her as the best person for the job and ultimately elected the Liberals with a small, but workable, majority government. The Greens, meanwhile, also increased their support, leaving the National Conservatives as the only party to lose seats.

With Liberal leaders in both Canada and Quebec, residents of both countries looked forward to a period - finally - of cooperation, and increased relations. Some optimists even began to think that reunification was possible...

And that's it! Sorry for the lame ending, but I wanted to end it on a hopeful note and not automatically have Quebec rejoin Canada, as at this point it seems way too unrealistic. Hope you liked it, my next series will be my (long planned) series on if Arthur Meighen won a majority in 1925.

Presidents of Quebec:
Jacques Parizeau (
Parti Quebecois) 1996-2001
Lucien Bouchard (
Parti Quebecois) 2001-2006
Louise Harel (Parti Quebecois) 2006-2011
Michaelle Jean (Liberal) 2011-present

Prime Ministers of Quebec:
Lucien Bouchard (Parti Quebecois) 1996-2001
Pauline Marois (
Parti Quebecois) 2001-2004
Martin Cauchon (Liberal) 2004-2009
Gilles Duceppe
(Parti Quebecois) 2009-2015
Nathalie Normandeau (Liberal) 2015-present

Prime Ministers of Canada:
Jean Chretien (Liberal) 1993-1997
Brian Tobin (Liberal) 1997-1998

Joe Clark (Progressive Conservative) 1998-2001
Preston Manning (Reform) 2001-2006
Frank McKenna (Liberal) 2006-2013

Rick Hillier
(Reform) 2013-2015
Diane Finley (National Conservative) 2015
Rick Hillier (National Conservative) 2015-20XX
Karen McCrimmon (Liberal) 2018-present

Independent Quebec!
Quebec presidential election 1996 and Quebec legislative election 1996
Canadian federal election 1998

Quebec presidential election 2001 and Quebec legislative election 2000
Canadian federal election 2001
Canadian federal election 2003
Quebec legislative election 2004
Canadian federal election 2004
Quebec legislative election 2005
Canadian federal election 2006
Quebec presidential election 2006
Canadian federal election 2008
Quebec legislative election 2009
Quebec presidential election 2011 and Quebec legislative election 2011
Canadian federal election 2013
Quebec legislative election 2015

Quebec presidential election 2016
Canadian federal election 2017

Canada 2018.png

2008 in the "US elections with Canadian-style parties"

The first one in a while with State's Rights really taking part. Progressives' candidate was initially John Edwards but after his sex scandal came to light, he dropped out and his VP nominee Dennis Kucinich took over. So I took the intermediate of Edwards' & Kucinich's percentages for each state's share of the OTL Dem vote.

uscan08.png

Needless to say, Obama crushes the competition. The Progressives don't get either 5% of the popular vote or an electoral vote, so they miss out on the infobox.

Not a ton of vote-splitting outside of the south, where McCain drained enough away from Huckabee to give Obama a bunch of southern states he didn't win IOTL. I'm surprised that Obama got Texas while vote-splitting gave McCain Maine's 2nd congressional district.

uscan08.png

A little nitpick, he wins Texas and South Carolina of all things, but loses Indiana (which he won OTL) and Missouri (which he lost by <.5%)?

A little nitpick, he wins Texas and South Carolina of all things, but loses Indiana (which he won OTL) and Missouri (which he lost by <.5%)?

McCain won Indiana because Kucinich siphoned off enough votes from Obama. Huckabee didn't run in Missouri so McCain's OTL vote wasn't split, meaning that he held on to Missouri.

No Backroom Backstabbing

Despite what some pundits said leading up to the day, Kevin Rudd remained highly popular among the majority of Australian's, bolstered by his lengthy, yet politically successful campaign, in which he reaffirmed his mandate by the Australian populace, albeit with a slightly lower popular vote. Running on a positive platform for further national development in social security, medicare and increased international relations, especially among the many large East Asian economies, such as China and Japan. However, it was perhaps his success in (largely) averting the Global Financial Crisis which allowed him to pull in most of the votes on the final day, despite the Abbott campaign's persistence that increased spending and a widening debt would ultimately lead to national economic collapse, a strategy that pulled many fearful Australians back to the Liberal/National circle.

Backroom_Backstabbing.png

Xanadu premier election, 2133 (A Jovian Night's Dream)
Democrat Melissa Oritz was renominated for a third term in 2133 after easily cruising to reelection for a second term in 2129. However, a lagging economy and ongoing centaur raids along the frontier have caused her approval ratings to sag. There was some speculation that former Xanadu Attorney-General Natalie Cho or Hyannis Port Mayor Avram Rivera would challenge Ortiz for the Democratic nomination, but Ortiz dumped incumbent Deputy Premier Jim Hollis for Cho while Rivera ran for Xanadu Land Commissioner.

The Republican primary was hotly contested between Commonwealth Senator Samantha Pollian of Minos and rancher Sweeney Hull of Thubbes. Hull ran a mostly self-funded campaign, tacking hard to the right socially against Pollian. However, at the convention, Hull was forced out by the party bosses who thought that Hull was too controversial to win. Pollian selected former U.S. Representative Terrance Goldsmith as her running mate, while Hull dropped out to run on an independent ticket with controversial Khan City attorney Julianne Billick as his running mate. Columbia's Light (a fundamentalist Columbianist party) once again nominated Montezuma State Senator John Ray Turner for premier, who tabbed retired Minuteman General Elizabeth O'Connor as his running mate. The American Heroes Party and the Our America Party both endorsed Ortiz for premier, though many prominent members of both also ran on the Columbia's Light line and supported Turner over Ortiz.

Ortiz and Pollian ran similar campaigns, stressing their candidate's qualities over actual issues. However, Pollian--who'd been a hedge fund manager before being elected to the Commonwealth Senate--was largely seen as being stuffy and elitist. As usual, Turner and Columbia's Light ran hard on opening up settlement and restricting aborigine rights. Hull and Billick ran a stringent social conservative campaign, campaigning for lower taxes, smaller government and lower immigrant quotas. Many commentators labeled the Hull/Billick campaign as racist, but they tapped into a small, far-right voting bloc who was opposed to government and felt threatened by outsiders--many of whom were Christian and opposed to Columbianism. In the end, Ortiz managed to eek out a victory over her opponents, with Hull and Turner polling votes from both major candidates.

DUPI48c.png

Lord Caedus, can you tell me how to do those Canadian Parties in America Wikiboxes please? Since those are pretty cool and I really want to do something like 1980 or 1976. :)

Lord Caedus, can you tell me how to do those Canadian Parties in America Wikiboxes please? Since those are pretty cool and I really want to do something like 1980 or 1976. :)

I set it out in the 2000 one here. Although for the 1990s elections for the Progressive & State's Rights candidates, I did a state-by-state swing using the OTL primary results and a general swing if that state either didn't hold a primary or it was held after the candidate dropped out IOTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.