Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
- A CONVENIENT TRUTH -

The election between Democratic nominee Vice President Al Gore and Texas Governor George Bush ended up being an extremely close nail biter. Incumbent President Clinton was fairly popular because of how well he handled the economy, giving the federal government a rare surplus of funds and putting them on a supposed path to get rid of the federal debt over the course of the first decade of the new millennium, even though he had to deal with a media frenzied over the Lewinsky scandal that brought Clinton to have the unfortunate honor of being the second president to be impeached. This was a net boost for the Democrats, as Gore was a fairly influential part of the Clinton administration. He was influential and popular enough with party members that he easily defeated a challenge from the left in the form of former Senator Bill Bradley. Gore chose New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen as his running mate. Many political scientists consider this to be a positive decision since it excited the liberal base of the party by choosing the second woman on the VP spot for a major party and it was a regional balance between the South and Northeast.

The Republican contest was not so easy. Two of the biggest frontrunners for the entire primary season were eventual nominee Governor George Bush and Senator John McCain of Arizona. Bush was well respected and had a network of donors because of respect for the Bush family. However, McCain was able to make many well placed and timed jabs into the Bush campaign. Bush won out in Iowa, but McCain won in New Hampshire and Delaware before Bush came back in South Carolina. McCain, who tried to position himself as the insurgent candidate that would revitalize the party, accused the Bush campaign of using too many underhanded moves campaigning against him. By Super Tuesday, they looked fairly evenly matched, but as the primary season began to conclude it was clear that McCain would stay an insurgent and not be able to clinch the nomination. He dropped out of the race on April 15, 2000. He chose Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney of Texas (Wyoming for the purposes of election intricacies) as his running mate.

The general election was further complicated by a popular Green Party presence in the form of Ralph Nader. He was polling around 2% or 3%, which was very high for a general third party candidate. Bush used some of his charm and "compassionate conservatism" in order to sway voters much like President Clinton did, but Gore's prowess in debating was clear over that of Bush. President Clinton was a critical piece in the puzzle for the Gore/Shaheen campaign, as he pushed that Gore would continue to put America on the path to eliminate the debt and that Bush would only put America back into a deficit spending pattern and greater debt with his tax cut plan. Polls consistently showed that the race would be close, and many Democrats were hoping that the increasingly popular Nader would not be a spoiler. Ohio was the first major swing state to fall, which was called at 9:30 PM for Bush and a concern for Gore as no Republican had won the White House without Ohio. However, Gore did not have to worry for long, as New Hampshire was called for him at 10:07 PM, making him President-Elect. Florida was still too close to call, and it would remain so until late the next morning, when after multiple recounts it was tentatively called for Gore, putting him just below the 300 EV mark.

13025238854_413f1f9ab5_o.png

President Gore's biggest early goals in his administration was to make sure that the budget surplus continued into the 2001 budget, a number of measures promoting alternative energy sources and research, and education reform. A few measures promoting investment in solar energy, nuclear energy, as well as a compromise measure in domestic offshore oil production were major legislative accomplishments early on, and President Gore was working with influential congressmen, like Senator Ted Kennedy, to make progress on education reform. Even though President Gore set the focus on domestic policy, the events that were about to occur would force him to take major action on another front.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
Right, I've done one for a change. A shame the map didn't recolour as cleanly as I'd hoped, but otherwise I think this came out quite well.

For the curious, this is based on a joke scenario The Onion came up with a short time into the 2012 campaign, where the Republican Party decides they hate Obama so much that they're going to not contest the 2012 presidential election, because they want to keep him in the White House where they can torture him by having to work with the House of Representatives they control ;) Obviously an ASB scenario, but I tried to make an infobox based on how I thought this might turn out if this actually happened in real life.

US Presidential 2012 unopposed.png

"Vote Obama in 2012. It's the only way we'll be able to finish ripping out his soul."

Seriously though, who'd the unpledged electors end up voting for?

Thande

Donor
"Vote Obama in 2012. It's the only way we'll be able to finish ripping out his soul."

Seriously though, who'd the unpledged electors end up voting for?

Well the standard way of doing it on Wikipedia infoboxes is to actually show how the votes were cast (as in 1872 and 1960) here I was thinking that they scatter between so many candidates (everyone in the OTL Republican primaries, Ron Paul, lots of high-profile people who declined, Ron Paul again, protest vote for the ghost of Ronald Reagan, etc.) that the ATL Wikipedians give up and just footnote it.

EDIT: And I just realised Obama should have 39 not 40 states...oh well. (Must have counted Nebraska twice).

Last edited:
A Different Twenty-Seventh

President Lopez Obradór's term proved to be mixed. His efforts at reform mostly stalled due to exhaustion with reform that had gone on under the previous FDN presidents. On the domestic front, Lopez Obradór saw increased American support to tackle the cartels that had begun causing problems in the southern part of the country. He did not enjoy great relations with his American counterparts (both Allen and Roemer) and the removal of most American anti-narcotics task forces from southern Mexico after costly increases in defense spending for nations thought vulnerable to Russian domination and the massive aid package for China and South Korea to handle refugees from the disintegrating North Korean regime led to widespread resentment of Washington and Roemer there.

Although Lopez Obradór remained popular with the lower-class and most of nation's liberals, he quickly became deeply loathed by the PAN and PRI remnants for his fiery rhetoric and populist appeals for further nationalization. Stalling Lopez Obradór's agenda, the two parties combined their strength to pass legislation modifying the presidential electoral system to be a two-round one. Meant to prevent another fiery leader like himself to take power, Lopez Obradór signed the legislation, believing it to be a progressive step for Mexico even if it was intended to consolidate the establishment's power.

Lopez Obradór quickly chose former Interior Minister Marcelo Ebrard as his preferred successor and in an ironic echo of the PRI, Ebrard ran unopposed in the party's primary. The PAN's nominee, former Senator Josefina Vázquez Mota, became the first female presidential candidate in Mexican history. The PRI, having recovered from the 2006 split, put forward former Governor Manilo Fabio Beltrones. With the new two-round system, they initially believed that this was their year to return, as the centrist party would have a much easier time winning votes from the eliminated candidate to put them over the top.

This hope, however, was quickly dashed once the polls kept returning the same thing: voters had largely moved on from the PRI and the first round was always a two-horse race. Beltrones made a bit of a comeback towards the end as Vásquez Mota had some stumbles and opposition attempts to link Ebrard with some minor Interior Ministry scandals began to take effect, but it was too little too late.

13050716333_a9f78bb1ba_o.png

With the PRI eliminated, the real race began. Ebrard had been predicted to win with about 55-60% of the second-round vote beforehand, but now with the scandals being linked to him (albeit on flimsy evidence), it became a neck-and-neck race. Both campaigns quickly went to the mat: Vásquez Mota found herself being forced to deal with openly sexist attacks fanned by FDN operatives, preying on insecurities in the widespread machismo mindset. Ebrard, for his trouble, began to become entangled in more and more Lopez Obradór administration scandals owing to his status as informal second-in-command there. On the day of the second round, the outcome was in doubt and all credible polls showed almost an exact 50% split between the two candidates.

Amazingly, the results bore this out with only a 0.1% margin.

13050716253_3e6e185355_o.png

Vásquez Mota edged out Ebrard by just over 90,000 votes to be declared the winner. Ebrard began a campaign calling for recounts in almost all states where the PAN candidate had won by a relatively close margin. The worries that Mexico would not have an undisputed president by the time Lopez Obradór's term ended soon evaporated as the federal elections agency rejected all but a few appeals, making it unlikely that the 90,000 gap would be closed. Ebrard conceded and Vásquez Mota's historical inauguration as Mexico's first female president saw the new president pledge to act as a unifying president and extended her hand to the opposition-controlled Congress to help her deal with the problems the nation faced.

United States
1976 presidential election
1980 presidential election
1984 presidential election
1988 presidential election
1992 presidential election
1996 presidential election
2000 presidential election
2004 presidential election
2008 presidential election
Supreme Court
2012 presidential & legislative elections

Mexico
1988 presidential election
1994 presidential election
2000 presidential election
2006 presidential election

Canada
1985 general election
1989 general election
1993 general election
1995 general election
1997 general election
1998 general election
2000 general election
2003 general election
2005 general election
2008 general election

Next in my series. Here's Quebec's next presidential election.

With the Liberals having taken control of the National Assembly, most pundits predicted that 2006 would be one of the best chance's for the Liberals to gain the presidency. Incumbent President Lucien Bouchard, feeling a loss was imminent and genuinely wanting to retire, announced that he would not run in the presidential election.

The Parti Quebecois ran former Foreign Affairs minister Louise Harel. Former Prime Minister Pauline Marois had been the initial frontrunner, though stumbled on the campaign trail and was hampered by the baggage of her unpopular term as Prime Minister. Harel was fortunate enough to not be affected by most of the baggage of the Marois ministry, and entered the campaign with relatively little baggage.

The Liberals ran former astronaut Marc Garneau, who initially entered the campaign running high in the polls. His lead began to slip as Liberal Prime Minister Martin Cauchon introduced several unpopular policies, and Garneau ran a rather lacklustre campaign. By the beginning of May, Garneau and Harel were virtually tied in the polls.

Quebec presidential 2006.png

In the end, Harel won a very narrow victory - less than 30,000 votes - over Garneau. Liberals began looking toward 2011, hopeful that voters fatigue at 15 years of Parti Quebecois Presidents would be able to work toward their advantage.

Presidents of Quebec:
Jacques Parizeau (
Parti Quebecois) 1996-2001
Lucien Bouchard (
Parti Quebecois) 2001-2006
Louise Harel (Parti Quebecois) 2006-20XX

Prime Ministers of Quebec:
Lucien Bouchard (Parti Quebecois) 1996-2001
Pauline Marois (
Parti Quebecois) 2001-2004
Martin Cauchon (Liberal) 2004-20XX

Prime Ministers of Canada:
Jean Chretien (Liberal) 1993-1997
Brian Tobin (Liberal) 1997-1998

Joe Clark (Progressive Conservative) 1998-2001
Preston Manning (Reform) 2001-2006
Frank McKenna (Liberal) 2006-20XX

Independent Quebec!
Quebec presidential election 1996 and Quebec legislative election 1996
Canadian federal election 1998

Quebec presidential election 2001 and Quebec legislative election 2000
Canadian federal election 2001
Canadian federal election 2003
Quebec legislative election 2004
Canadian federal election 2004
Quebec legislative election 2005
Canadian federal election 2006

Quebec presidential 2006.png

Ah, nothing puts me in better spirits than a good infobox series. Let's hope the Liberals are able to maintain the Premiership, they're going to need it if they want the Presidency.

President Coderre, perhaps? Maybe President Irwin Cotler?

Ah, nothing puts me in better spirits than a good infobox series. Let's hope the Liberals are able to maintain the Premiership, they're going to need it if they want the Presidency.

President Coderre, perhaps? Maybe President Irwin Cotler?

Both are good, but I'm personally not the biggest fan of Coderre and I don't feel Cotler would want it. I assure you, the next Liberal presidential nominee will be a surprise :D

Also...

Let's hope the Liberals are able to maintain the Premiership

Finally! One of us! One of us!

Both are good, but I'm personally not the biggest fan of Coderre and I don't feel Cotler would want it. I assure you, the next Liberal presidential nominee will be a surprise :D

Also...

Finally! One of us! One of us!

Ha, only because I don't expect you to give ADQ the reigns of power :p

I view Quebec politics differently than I view the rest of Canada. Whoever is the Federalist/Pro-Canada standard bearer gets my support.

Ha, only because I don't expect you to give ADQ the reigns of power :p

I view Quebec politics differently than I view the rest of Canada. Whoever is the Federalist/Pro-Canada standard bearer gets my support.

I suspected as much, but I'll take any chance to get you over to our side

Rosalian election of 1940. There's no other parties that gets in Parliament (called the Asamblea, Rosalian for assembly, but is translated into Noravean* as Parliament)

* Noravean is the language of the people of Noravea. Noravean People's Party represent the Noraveans in Rosalia, and tends to pick up some native liberals as well.

1940_Astudillo.SD.PNG

Last edited:
In Rosalia, this is one of the "focus" characters, for the story. Here's his biography.

Rosalia's first leftist Prime Minister, and the first of many Social Democratic PMs, he nevertheless cuts a controversial figure in history. Born in a cold Northern rural village to a traditional family, due to the Long Depression, they were forced to move to Invierno, a Northern industrial city growing thanks to people moving there for work. Salinas was sent to work as a footboy at the rich Abana family, and grew to despise them and all rich people, as they were cruel to the young Cecilio, with the eldest daughter even sexually abusing him. He often went to bed crying. When he grew up to be a teenager, they fired him without any notice, and he was left penniless, with his family having died or married into better society. He struggled for months on end before lying down on a train track, awaiting death, having starved for days. He would have died. But a young man working for the new SDP found his unconscious body and brought him to his house, fed him a decent meal, and offered him free residence. This man was Alberto Reyes, and Salinas would be eternally grateful to him. Gradually, through Reyes, he found new life and became involved into politics, with his anger against the rich making him a great orator who could whip up the working class in a frenzy. He was elected to Parliament in 1913, and slowly made his way up. When Reyes (who by this point was PSD leader) announced his resignation in 1922 due to an illness, he recommended the young Salinas, and the party elected him. As PSD leader, Salinas led the party to its first government in his second election as leader. The coalition was ad-hoc, shaky and united around a common dislike of the magic formula and of the Liberals, Conservatives and Agrarians. The first bill was the end of the magic formula and the introduction of a formal Opposition. The three parties tried to convince the littlest of Salinas' coalition to support them, but to no avail as the bill finally was passed. The Lords tried to filibuster it, but Salinas had the help of a clever constitutional lawyer named Jorge Rubalcaba, who managed to squeeze it through the courts, defying the Lords for the first time. Angered, the magic formula declared war on the Social Democrats and Salinas. But they collectively lost seats in 1930 as the people backed Salinas' ideals. Divisions then appeared in the three parties and Salinas was free to pass welfare laws, especially one banning child labor. It is said that when he heard it was passed, he said "This is my revenge. This is my absolution." But then came the Depression, and Salinas' left-wing coalition fragmented, forcing him to create a minority government with ad-hoc support from parties who agreed with him regarding one specific bill or another. He attempted to have the King declare a crisis and lengthen Parliament's term indefinitely, but the King refused to budge, and the maximum six year term forced Salinas and the rest of the shaken parties to be judged by the people. Lucky for Salinas, he proved a popular figure, seen as a hard worker who cared about the people. However, his coalition partners took a hit, with the far-right and far-left rising to prominence. He then swallowed his pride and offered a hand to the Agrarian League, a party he personally despised, in order to have stable government. To comfort himself with the idea, he brought the PPN back into government as well. The fourth Salinas Cabinet proved a capable one, but with many tensions. Ultimately, Salinas was brought down by the one thing that haunted his mind the most, his childhood. The ruthless Lady Bolivar spread around rumors that Salinas raped her when he was a teenager. The opposite was true. Unable to fight back due to the truth being more shameful, he resigned and handed power over to his close friend Tancredo Astudillo, who alone knew the truth. "Don't do this, Cecilio. We can fight back." "No. Not when we are alive. But history will vindicate me." A month later, he was found with a bullet through his head, a gun on the floor below his hand and a short paper with the truth on it. Astudillo would burn it, but after he left politics, he would reveal all in his book, Mi Amigo, Cecilio, and would later say, "It is my eternal shame that I let my close friend be vilified for a crime he did not do, for all those years."

Ultimately,
Salinas is a controversial figure thanks to the Depression, but his moral character was never in doubt.

SALINAS, Cecilio.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.