Altered America

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls! My name is Cyrus P. Underwood and I am part of a short story collection called Altered America. This collection of short stories from all across the multiverse give you tales galore! See Marilyn Monroe get interviewed in her 80s! Thrill at George Washington staying a loyalist and crushing the American Revolution! Those stories and more are in Altered America. Preorder from Martinus Publishing for US$11.50. Will be released on March 31st.

mowque

Banned
How seriously do you take butterflies and such? Do you hold with recursive history or something more chaotic?

Edit: Although the fact that you have been here logner then me is a good sign!

How seriously do you take butterflies and such? Do you hold with recursive history or something more chaotic?

Edit: Although the fact that you have been here logner then me is a good sign!

It's a collection of short stories by different authors friend of which I am just a part. Though I took butterflies into account I am not so sure of the others.

Me too, me too!
My story is Guns of the Green Mountains.
I was curious about how many of the authors were actually from this site. Doctor What has 2 stories in it as well (his are also in the writers forum in their raw versions)

Assume you guys got your email announcements?

Me too, me too!
My story is Guns of the Green Mountains.
I was curious about how many of the authors were actually from this site. Doctor What has 2 stories in it as well (his are also in the writers forum in their raw versions)

Assume you guys got your email announcements?

Yep. Been trying to advertise.

Wow-- how many of us ah.commers have a story in this?

I've got two of them in there. :)

The finalized table of contents, and the finished front cover artwork, for the 'Altered America' anthology can be seen here:

http://www.martinus.us/books.html#alteredamerica

AlteredAmericaFront.jpg

Oh cool, they finally announced it? I have a short story in the anthology as well.

Me too, me too!

Yep. Been trying to advertise.

You guys have done the obligatory Author Facebook page, right?

Oh, and speaking from personal experience, Martin loves cultivating his writers. He always has a few anthologies on the go (he has four accepting stories now) and is planning on announcing at least two more this year.

He also runs a few 'shootouts' every year, where he throws out a prompt and you have a week to come up with a story and submit them, then you rate your fellow writers on their stories, and then the process repeats again with a new prompt.

More often than not, a large number of the prompts tend to have something to do with an upcoming anthology of his, so with a bit of luck you sometimes end up getting a story (tentatively) accepted for publication. Of the four anthologies that's in the works, I have a story accepted for publication in three of them.

Anyone one have ideas on promotion? I have an author facebook, twitter and websit/blog, but not much outside of that.
I'd be willing to do something together but I just have no idea how, since its all in our shared interests to promote sales for the anthology

Anyone one have ideas on promotion? I have an author facebook, twitter and websit/blog, but not much outside of that.
I'd be willing to do something together but I just have no idea how, since its all in our shared interests to promote sales for the anthology

Any comic book/sci-fi bookstores in your area? Call them up and ask them what their policy is when it comes to stocking books. Tell them the truth; you're a local writer and you think their customers might like the anthology. Most will blow you off but one or two of them will ask you to bring in a copy or two of the anthology for the manager to read over. I hadn't had any luck convincing the bookstores in my area to stock them but one or two of the managers did state that they'll be buying their own copies of the book in any case, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Maybe you'll have better luck?

Also check your area for any sci-fi conventions coming up in the next little while. I booked a table at the last one that was here in my town and managed to sell about fifteen copies of various anthologies.

Any comic book/sci-fi bookstores in your area? Call them up and ask them what their policy is when it comes to stocking books. Tell them the truth; you're a local writer and you think their customers might like the anthology. Most will blow you off but one or two of them will ask you to bring in a copy or two of the anthology for the manager to read over. I hadn't had any luck convincing the bookstores in my area to stock them but one or two of the managers did state that they'll be buying their own copies of the book in any case, so it wasn't a total waste of time. Maybe you'll have better luck?

Also check your area for any sci-fi conventions coming up in the next little while. I booked a table at the last one that was here in my town and managed to sell about fifteen copies of various anthologies.

My brother owns a coffee shop that sells things that are locally made. Since I am a local author, and his brother I think I can get him to sell a few. But I will see about the conventions.

My brother owns a coffee shop that sells things that are locally made. Since I am a local author, and his brother I think I can get him to sell a few. But I will see about the conventions.

Offer to sign your story, so that he can put up a "Author Signed Books for Sale!" sticker.

Another thing to do is contact some bloggers. I got a few guys to do a little blurb on their sites and I managed to convince a local community blog to review my novel.

Have you been interviewed by Martin yet? He did a little thing with me with my first sale last year. I contacted a few writer/sci fi sites and bloggers and offered to do guest posts and/or interviews for them. In fact, I'm in the middle of writing a guest post as I speak, er, write this.

Offer to sign your story, so that he can put up a "Author Signed Books for Sale!" sticker.

Another thing to do is contact some bloggers. I got a few guys to do a little blurb on their sites and I managed to convince a local community blog to review my novel.

Have you been interviewed by Martin yet? He did a little thing with me with my first sale last year. I contacted a few writer/sci fi sites and bloggers and offered to do guest posts and/or interviews for them. In fact, I'm in the middle of writing a guest post as I speak, er, write this.

No Martin hasn't interviewed me yet. When does he usually conduct interviews?

No Martin hasn't interviewed me yet. When does he usually conduct interviews?

Usually around the time the anthology comes out in print, give or take a week. He usually does it by e-mail. He'll send you a few questions to answer and give you a few days to get back to him.

Right now he's posting the interviews for the VFW: Veterans of the Future Wars anthology that was released a month ago.

I'd be keen to do an interview, if I'm asked.
Good ideas on the local shops thing, unfortanately I don't think there's any specialty books stores in my area, its usually big name franchise stores or second-hand stores.
The downside of living in a small population country I guess

I'd be keen to do an interview, if I'm asked.
Good ideas on the local shops thing, unfortanately I don't think there's any specialty books stores in my area, its usually big name franchise stores or second-hand stores.
The downside of living in a small population country I guess

True but the internet is global, so try those other suggestions I mentioned.

By the way, are you thinking about setting up an author's page on Amazon?

Not really. I did but I deleted it. Not enough traffic. After this I may make a new one. But I doubt it.

Oh yeah I've done all that other stuff long before I even wrote my story for Altered America, since I've had two alternate history books self-published since the start of last year.