Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an awesome map. did the Program actually get revealed in SG:Universe? I have not seen either season since they aired.

Thank you :). It wasn't actually revealed, but the Pentagon was bombed and a US Senator was killed in one of the episodes of season two of SG:U. To me, the only real choice after that is to reveal the existence of program, but the show decided to just ignore the implications of that episode. Perhaps it was planned for season three.

It also bugged me that the Canadian government/military was never represented at all in SG-1.
You're right about the whole NORAD/Canada thing, with all the lock-downs they've done in the series the Canadian personal would know something is up.
Exactly. And even if those lockdowns went somehow unnoticed, there was that episode when they gated to a planet being sucked into a black hole, and the entire mountain got caught in a time dilation field. No chance of hiding the program from the Canadians after that.

Also United Nations Stargate Command, Wouldn't that acronym Conflict with United Nations Security Council. Maybe United Nations Homeworld Command/Security?
I suppose it would, but UNSC is such a cool sounding acronym. But Homeworld Command was the name used in the show, that would be the more likely name.
I don't think Israel would be included, since they pretty much sell calssified information to the highest barter as it is.

Do they? Well, we can't have that then.

Also, while a few things were iffy, I don't think it'd be that hard to keep the program from being public knowledge for another two decades.

Incidentally, while I don't remember the Lucien Aliance DC thing, Atlantis was cloaked the whole time and set down gently, so even though it was in San Francisco bay, no one would've known it was there unless they ran into it (and I doubt that's where the city stayed).
The Pentagon was bombed and a US Senator was killed. I suppose they could try fabricating evidence to pin it on some sort of terrorist organization here on Earth, but that could backfire. As in, the American people and the members of Congress uninformed of the Stargate would demand a war with someone.

Atlantis was cloaked, but didn't it create a fireball when coming down through the atmosphere?

I hope it qualifies as a map, as I don't know where to put it.

THE 4 PRIMARY LAWS OF ELEMENTAL INTERACTION:

1-There are two forms of interaction: quantitative and qualitative.
1.1-Qualitative interaction is responsible for transmutation.

2-Elements are classified in two poles: masculine and feminine.
2.1-Certain elements show a neutral polarity.
2.2Trans-polar interaction can be quantitative, but never qualitative.

3-Cardinal elements are responsible for the formation of all the other elements.
3.1-A cardinal element cannot be obtained by transmutation.

4-The slightest disturbance during a qualitative interaction will interrupt the process, save for interactions that involve iron.
4.1-Disturbance during a qualitative interaction with iron will produce an aberrant element.

Well, this is cool.

Thande

Donor
I hope it qualifies as a map, as I don't know where to put it.

THE 4 PRIMARY LAWS OF ELEMENTAL INTERACTION:

1-There are two forms of interaction: quantitative and qualitative.
1.1-Qualitative interaction is responsible for transmutation.

2-Elements are classified in two poles: masculine and feminine.
2.1-Certain elements show a neutral polarity.
2.2Trans-polar interaction can be quantitative, but never qualitative.

3-Cardinal elements are responsible for the formation of all the other elements.
3.1-A cardinal element cannot be obtained by transmutation.

4-The slightest disturbance during a qualitative interaction will interrupt the process, save for interactions that involve iron.
4.1-Disturbance during a qualitative interaction with iron will produce an aberrant element.
Reminds me of those diagrams I've seen of Brandon Sanderson's various magic systems, though I know that's because both you and he are being inspired by real life alchemical theories.

I think I've got a near final version of my big ass rail map of the future. Just have to figure out a better logo. Its tough.
I've made it so you can scroll and zoom.
Probably means nothing to most people but north eastern folk will get it.
I wonder, can anyone tell me, what do the grey shapes mean? I wonder whether its intuitive or I'm the only one who gets it without a guide.

http://www.ctallentire.com/image/bernra.svg

I think one could combine the eastern bits of the purple line with the Sunderland-South Shields line via a tunnel under the Tyne, thus creating a north-south link that's independent of Newcastle. As for the grey shapes, I'd imagine those represent zones, but it doesn't really make sense since fares are different within the zones as well as between them.

Dorozhand

Banned
^I like this. Alot.

I find myself in agreement.

The detail is great, particularly how the life on the various planets isn't just different carbon copies (haha) of terrestrial life. That'd be a fun system for exploration and colonization.

Am I assuming this is the same planetary system, i.e. Tloxipeuhca orbits (finally) around Huitzilopochtli?

EDIT: I love that system. Can I post a link or a copy of the system to Chris Wayan, the founder of Planecotopia?

EDIT2: I already mailed him the link (I have been in contact with Mr. Wayan over e-mail several times),, as I saw that Maps'n'Graphics does not require registration to view.

Yep, it's that Tloxipeuhca. Except that the leaves and photosynthetic parts of the vegetation are orange, while the stems and trunks of most plants are still blue, and the satellite's name is different (I was still working out the system when I made that map). The names of geographical features are also after Aztec mythology, and some are named after planets in the system, which gives them a kind of multifaceted meaning.

Thank you all for the kind words :)

Last edited:
Yep, it's that Tloxipeuhca. Except that the leaves and photosynthetic parts of the vegetation are orange, while the stems and trunks of most plants are still blue.

Thank you all for the kind words :)

I find those Aztec names really, really cool, if really difficult to pronounce! And it is also cool that the life-bearing planets are not just, as one poster rightly said... carbon copies, but other forms of life, xenobiologies.

Dorozhand

Banned
I find those Aztec names really, really cool, if really difficult to pronounce! And it is also cool that the life-bearing planets are not just, as one poster rightly said... carbon copies, but other forms of life, xenobiologies.

Thanks, I've always been really fascinated by alternate biochemstries, especially the real potential of Ammonia to replace water (in the right circumstances) and Boron to replace Carbon. Boron is especially interesting because it may actually be better than Carbon at what it does.

Of all the world's mythologies, the Aztec pantheon is my favorite. Aztec culture, philosophy, and ideas about the universe fascinate me. If you want to know which planets were named after which gods, you can find almost all of them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aztec_deities

Last edited:
Thanks, I've always been really fascinated by alternate biochemstries, especially the real potential of Ammonia to replace water (in the right circumstances) and Boron to replace Carbon. Boron is especially interesting because it may actually be better than Carbon at what it does.

Yes, of course the problem with Boron is that it's rather rare on a cosmic scale.

How about Arsenic replacing Phosphorus in DNA and Silicone replacing Carbon in general? The only (well, the largest) problem is that larger atoms have lower electronegativities, so that Silicone and Arsenic are less likely to make the bonds necessary for life.

Dorozhand

Banned
Yes, of course the problem with Boron is that it's rather rare on a cosmic scale.

Yeah, humanity in this timeline has discovered and traveled to many star systems and found life. Huitzilopochtli is a very exceptional, one of a kind sort of place. Although since discovery several more Ammonia worlds were discovered (though none on Tloxipeuhca's calibre of advancement), we still have yet to find another Hydrofluorine world. Some fringe pseudo-scientists even claim that it was deliberately created by an ultra-advanced race as a kind of biological art project :D

Dorozhand

Banned
How about Arsenic replacing Phosphorus in DNA and Silicone replacing Carbon in general? The only (well, the largest) problem is that larger atoms have lower electronegativities, so that Silicone and Arsenic are less likely to make the bonds necessary for life.

Yeah, that's true. There's also the fact that Silicon's oxide is a solid and respiration as we know it would be impossible, although I would say that dismissing it because of that is unimaginative. Perhaps the organism's skin secretes the Silica byproduct and uses it as a protective shell, shedding it when it grows too heavy. This could especially be true of sedentary organisms like plants.

Also, Silane (SiH4) has a melting point even colder than methane, and could conceivably be used in lieu of it if enough could be concentrated in one spot.

I have some rather scientific questions on the system of Huitzilopochtli...

1) Why so many planets? I find that good, really good, but do such stars accrete so many planets, or was it just done for creativity's sake?

2) Huitzilopochtli is a blue star. What does that mean for distances? How far are the planets from the sun, especially Atlacamani? How far is the innermost Xiuhtehcutli? There are some systems were planets are really close, or really far, so it could be anything between a tiny fraction of an AU and 1-2 AU for Xiuhtecutli.
The same applies to all other planets, e.g. Atlacamani could be 1 AU away just as Earth is, or much less, or much more if Huitzilopochtli is hotter. The same for all other planets... and: How far is Zacantzontli?

3) What rotation periods ("days") and orbit periods ("years") do the planets have? Is the Atlacamani year similar to the Earth year, or longer? Or shorter? And, on this note, why would you see a 38-hour-day as it prevails on Teotlale as "oppressive"?
What days and years do the life-bearing moons have in relation to their primaries?

4) How high are the highest mountains, how deep the deepest trenches on Atlacamani? How high is this "Corona range"? What is the highest mountain on Tepelloyotl?

5) Of what substance is the xenojungle of Chalchiutotolin made in order not to be attacked by a HF atmosphere? Is such a leaf poisonous itself, or is it just the HF atmosphere and "rivers" and "oceans" that are? Why is the xenojungle green, and what colour do the seas have?

6) Regarding Tloxipeuhca: Why would the Atlacamanians would to exploit the world at all? For what valuable minerals would they do that? Or are you referring to Humans? The same with "would face... liquidation of their assets and a war of extermination...": By whom? By the native Tloxipeuhcans, by Atlacamani, or by us Terrans? Or by a combination of the three?
Also: Both Rubidium and Cäsium are, as you can see from Wikipedia, highly reactive. So why would you mine the two elements, for what use would Atlacamanians use such reactive substances which (on Earth, at least) need to be stored under inert gases or petroleum oil? To form some compound?

7) What temperatures (surface) do the living (and, if possible to say, also the non-living) worlds have? We know that Atlacamani is more or less Earth-like (hotter or colder?), and that Nonohualco has 12 C. What temperatures are there, e.g., on Chalchiutotolin, and the same basically for all other (living) worlds?

8) What about gravities? How strong or weak are they?

If you, Dorozhand, plan to expand the Huitzilopochtli system with more and more and more information (pictures, maps,...), and I think that you somewhat do plan to, we should make a separate Alternate Planetary Systems, or even a separate Huitzilopochtli, thread. What do you think about that?

I know I’m not him, but…

1) Why so many planets?

Not an impossibility.

What does that mean for distances?

Further, inherently. The nearest may be 1 AU or more.

3) What rotation periods ("days") and orbit periods ("years") do the planets have?

Orbits will obviously be longer, rotation would be within known parameters.

What days and years do the life-bearing moons have in relation to their primaries?

Given moons, their years would be the same and their days would generally be about a week long.

Let’s look at the real moons we know about. Take the Galileans. Ganymede has roughly a week for an orbital period, but its year won’t be any different than Jupiter’s. Whether the moon is tidally locked or not won’t affect much the way of year, only in the amount of sunlight per “day” (day/‘day’/“day”; there are a whole bunch of ways we can call a day a day).

4) How high are the highest mountains, how deep the deepest trenches on Atlacamani?

Won’t be that much higher or lower than Earth; nearly the same gravity means nearly the same sizes. There’s a maximum size for a mountain under its own weight.

8) What about gravities? How strong or weak are they?

Add to this, I’d like to know orbital period, orbital distance, day length, inclination, diameter, surface temperature, and G for all of them.

Seraphiel

Banned
Heres a fantasy map that I've been working on for along time. Its basically a map detailing the world before the first human migration south due to a the "Great Freezing" of their homelands. I really suck at giving explanations for how something looks like as you can see when I attempt to explain how the various races look like.

The Explanation.png

Status
Not open for further replies.