Egypt survives, good writing doesn't.

When I saw your thread title I thought it was going to be a muse on the difficulties of modern literature while using hieroglyphics, alas no, truly the writing is dire, it makes me want to reach for a Dan Brown for something that flows better!

I haven't read the sample but I do not approve of mass butterfly genocide as the summary I've read seems to allude to.

Who's going to arrest this person for environmental endangerment given the number of butterflies just massacred? :mad:

The implausibility doesn't bother me- no one outside this website cares about it. The awful writing quality, however, does...

"He did not touch the lit candle. He held his hands out beside it, with the firm, tanned flesh of the backs of his hands and wrists close to her.
“Burn me,” he said to her, firmly. “Burn me with the candle.”
Natyra shook her head. He could see the candlelight gleaming in her eyes and on the smooth, polished skin of her shaved head."

What was with the sudden turn into an 50 Shades of Grey AH?

I am now tempted to use that awful "Tor - Rot" pun originally devised by Dune fans to diss the book trailer for Herbert Jr. and K. J. Anderson's Hellhole (aka Smellhole). :p

Well, Otto von Bismarck as a terrorist in a British-Egyptian-European 19th century empire... You have to cut the little lady some slack: She certainly has imagination ! :D :rolleyes:

"He did not touch the lit candle. He held his hands out beside it, with the firm, tanned flesh of the backs of his hands and wrists close to her.
“Burn me,” he said to her, firmly. “Burn me with the candle.”
Natyra shook her head. He could see the candlelight gleaming in her eyes and on the smooth, polished skin of her shaved head."

This is almost as bad as the infamous "Her eyes shimmered..." Abhakhazia and TB 'shipping fanfic...

What was with the sudden turn into an 50 Shades of Grey AH?

Don't ask me, because I have even less of a clue. :eek:

Last edited:
If I wasn't so fond of being tactful to women, I'd say to the author: "Ramona, sweetie, please don't pen and publish anything ever again." :eek: ;)

"...Soon as we find that German terrorist that's makin' such a fuss,
We gotta whack Herr Bismarck 'cause the world depends on us..."

Our Lord Julius Caesar
This, which is outlandish if you really think about it.

When the European terrorist Otto von Bismarck
And this, just wow. Otto von Bismark...the terrorist!

As for the writing, well, I'm guessing its a consequence of self-publishing. Wait, isn't Tor books the publishing company that also publishes novels by Harry Turtledove?

It's real easy to criticize...

Well, I imagine a lot of people here would buy the book, read it and then post all of their complaints. Of course by doing that, the author still gets the royalties.