Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Remella here again!:

What is the national/popular sport for the Dominion and ITTL U.S.?

I know in OTL America, Baseball was a very big sport back in the 1910s and 20s. American Football was sorta popular in the 20s and 30s, but by the late 50s, Football took the lead from Baseball as being a popular sport.

Glen

Remella here again!:

What is the national/popular sport for the Dominion and ITTL U.S.?

I know in OTL America, Baseball was a very big sport back in the 1910s and 20s. American Football was sorta popular in the 20s and 30s, but by the late 50s, Football took the lead from Baseball as being a popular sport.

For the Dominion it is most definitely Cricket.

For the USA....

Just finished reading this, and I must say...wonderful TL! One of the best on here!

One thing I'm curious about though...what are the demographics of the DSA, ie what percentage of the population is white, black, native American, Indian, etc? Also, is Indiana still majority Native American?

Also, what religions are popular in the DSA? In one update, you mentioned an Anglican televangelist, but I think most of the DSA would go for more Calvinistic religions like Baptism and Methodism. That trend was beginning even before the Revolution, and I don't think remaining part of Britain would change it to a huge extent. Certainly I think most popular firebrand preachers would be Baptist or similar.

For the Dominion it is most definitely Cricket.

Among the more Anglophilic upper classes, perhaps. But even in an ATL I think most of us southerners would go for something more...physical. Rugby, maybe?

Glen

The Olympic Torch and Laurel
2-z4-3c33a8d9-8923-469d-8517-c7356025150a.jpg

Symbol of the Modern Olympics

With the thawing of relations between Russia and the rest of the world, several people were inspired towards a new spirit of internationalism, including rising entrepreneur Alexander Chuzakov. Chuzakov's financial empire was built on exports of Russian luxury goods including high quality vodka and beluga cavier. As an ardent Eastern Orthodox Christian, Chuzakov also was fascinated by Byzantine and Greek history. This led him to the idea of reviving the concept of the Olympics. Olympic inspired competitions had been held in various places throughout the 19th century, but they were provincial affairs. International games had been held, and successfully, mostly among the members of the British Empire in the Imperial Games. But Chuzakov was the first to put it all together and envision a truly global scope. Chuzakov formed a cartel of like-minded international figures and sought to rekindle the Olympic flame. Initially Chuzakov's group considered holding the games in Olympia itself, but the infrastructure investment it would take to launch a high level of competition (and spectatorship) in the ancient site of the games would be prohibitive. Interest then swung to Russia's capital, Saint Petersberg, but the government of Hellas was so disturbed by the idea of losing the first modern Olympic Games, and offered large incentives to keep the games in Hellas, and eventually it was agreed that the games would be held in Athens. In 1930, the first Modern Olympics in Athens began. It included the 'classic' individual sports of the Greeks such as sprinting, wrestling, shot put, and the marathon, to name but a few, but also innovated by showcasing a number of the world's most popular team sports such as baseball, cricket, handball, football, and la crosse. The entire games were recorded by kinetograph that were shown in kinee houses around the world. In addition, it was the first major international live broadcasting by the new "short wave" broadcast wireless telephony. The Olympics turned out to be the very first true international blockbuster and multiple nations began to vie to hold the 1934 competition.

The First Olympic Stadium in Athens, Hellas
640px-Panathinaiko_Stadium_panorama.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see it's back again :). And I agree that it's a neat look at how the Olympics are evolving in a different TL, something that I fear gets overlooked more times than it should elsewhere.

Glen

Glad to see it's back again :). And I agree that it's a neat look at how the Olympics are evolving in a different TL, something that I fear gets overlooked more times than it should elsewhere.

Thanks and for the sports fans note that this will be used as a jump off point to review some of the team sports that developed in DSA world.

Glen

lacrosse2.jpg

La crosse has been called the "First Game of America" and "North America's Game" almost as long as there has been an United States of America. Seeking to be distinguished from the British and other European nations in the early formative years of the USA's existence, the sport first played by native tribes as "The Creator's Game" was readily adopted by the rest of the USA. Assimilated tribesmen were often thought of as "naturally adept" at the game, though other ethnic groups within the US would have waves of greatness in the game, such as the Jewish community in the early twentieth century. The game was simplified and the rules codified in the first half of the 19th century, with the number of players reduced to twelve, commonly thought to represent the twelve founding colonies of America, with the goal post being marked in red, white, and blue to represent the three colors of the US flag. The ball striking in the lowest blue zone scores one point, the middle white zone two points, and the highest red zone scores three points.

While the game clearly has deep American roots, it has been adopted by all of North America. Modern la crosse first made inroads into the Dominion of Southern America in the Province of Indiana, where the civilized tribes quickly adopted the simplified game for recreation. From there it spread throughout the Dominion, especially along the border where USA/DSA competitions became popular as a way of engaging in friendly competition with the neighbors.

While slower to penetrate into Mexico, it made inroads throughout the 19th century, and the Korsgaardist Mexican regime created their own version of la crosse to 'better reflect the historical heritage of Mexico' and this version became mandatory for all children to play in school as part of the Korsgaardist agenda. After the Global War, this variant of la crosse fell out favor, as most things tainted by Korsgaardism, but by then most Mexicans had gained a taste for la crosse in general, and readily adopted the standard version with gusto, and by 1900 the North American La Crosse Association (NALCA) was formed to promote continental competition and the North America Trophy (in the shape of a golden totem) became a hotly contested item between the three countries.

While most popular in North America, by 1930 it had enough international stature to be included as one of the original team sports in the Olympics. Fittingly, it was the US team that won the first Olympic competition.

lacrosse_lg.jpg

American natives and Lacrosse?

So iTTL, the assimilation of the Native tribes let to the secularization of the game?

Also, modern lacrosse iOTL uses a net, but I'm not sure when that happened. How did it happen that iTTL it ended up with a scoring post?

Last edited:

Glen

What is the feeling of various Native tribes (which are stronger in North America than iOTL as far as I cal tell) toward the internationalization of Lacrosse? In OTL, the Iroquois Nation participates in international Lacrosse tournaments separately from the United States and Canada? In addition, the only sport close to this international iOTL with that level of Religious component is Sumo, for which it is more or less agreed will *never* be an international sport (the international competitors in Sumo are submerged within the existing Sumo culture).

While tribal identification still exists in the USA it is more on the level of ethnicity than as a separate nation, so like being Italian-American you might identify as Iroquois-American. The modern la crosse game has lost its religious importance though there are Native American churches that have amateur legumes where there is some of the religious element maintained and playing la crosse on Native American holidays are important parts of the festivities, but most Americans of native descent focus on the game rather than the religious aspects by the 1930s.

Glen

Reminder to myself that I still need to change printing to sprinting in the official timeline post.

Glen

The game of baseball has deep roots in Great Britain, where earlier versions were sometimes referred to as 'town ball' or 'rounders'; indeed, some versions are still played locally in the British Isles, though not widespread as it is in the United States. Baseball developed in the United States of America into its most evolved and popular form. With twelve players (catcher, pitcher, four infielders, and six outfielders) running four bases (first, second, third, and home, each base worth one point (and thus a home run being worth four points and a home run with bases loaded bringing in ten points), the game was a lively hitting game. To make the game ball play faster, the overhand throw of New England was standardized, and the baseball glove for catching became popular.

wpeF7.jpg

By the end of the 19th century, after many decades of experimentation, the sickle shaped bat became the standard format of bat used in baseball. The skilled use of the bat allowed for greater control of the direction of the ball (which was considered in play so long as it was not hit behind the batter). Baseball would rival la crosse as an American favorite of sports, and enjoyed some popularity in Eastern Europe, where during the Korsgaardian decades sports seen as more Western European were looked at with suspicion). While not as widely popular as other sports, it did make it into the first modern international Olympics of 1930.

Baseball Bat.png