The Triumph and the Sorrow: The 1944 US Presidential Election and Beyond

Did the Allies conduct Operation Dragoon in August?

Even if they lost the Airborne and embarked Divisions, they still have the remainder of 3 million troops available to land by the end of August.

Southern France is lightly defended and IOTL the ports of Toulan and Mariseille were captured and returned to service along with the railways in Southern France.

Indeed, as Roosevelt mentioned there troops in the South of France by November, but with no Northern invasion the Germans can allocate far more forces to the South, preventing the decisive victory of OTL's Dragoon.

Thande

Donor
Here's an OTL map of the election to give one an idea of which states were closest in OTL.

Another question is whether the Republicans do better in the House of Representatives. In OTL the Republicans lost a few seats, but this is mainly attributed to the war going well. 1946 shows that they could take it back under the right circumstances. There were lots of very close Senate elections too, but I don't think the Republicans could have won enough to take the Senate even when the situation is like this.

Screen PNG.png

When can we hope for an update comrade?

Unfortunately this is just a one-off for now mate, but it's got a good response, so after the Soviet Union's smashed global capitalism in Down the Road and the People's Republic of Britain has been established in Bitter I'll get to work on making Sorrow a proper TL. :p

So, FDR keeps Wallace on the ticket as a butterfly in this timeline, even though the president is likely weaker due to the defeat at Normandy?

Someone needs to do a TL where Dutch Schultz goes ahead and assassinates/murders Thomas Dewey. The butterflies from that could be big.

The reference to the victor being attorney-general of New York makes it clear that Dewey won.

That wasn't the reference, which would have been very wrong.

"this upstart, inexperienced district attorney"...

Dewey was District Attorney for New York County (the borough of Manhattan).

However, in 1942 Dewey was elected Governor of New York, so it's a cheap shot in 1944.

Archibald

Banned
Indeed, as Roosevelt mentioned there troops in the South of France by November, but with no Northern invasion the Germans can allocate far more forces to the South, preventing the decisive victory of OTL's Dragoon.

and the invasion must be a bloodbath. With the Massif Central on the right and the Alps on the left, the narrow Rhone valley is the one and only way to go. Seizing Marseille and Toulon shouldn't be too hard, but then the more you go northward, the easy it is for the germans to go on the defensive. In short, its the italian campaign all over again - defensive lines after defensive lines.
Same thing if the allies try to break in the direction of Languedoc - they end being trapped on the seuil de Naurouze, a narrow corridor between the massif central (again) and the Pyrénées, somewhere near Montpellier.
General consensus is that the allies progression should bog down near Lyon, with that city becoming a French Stalingrad... or Monte Cassino.

That wasn't the reference, which would have been very wrong.

"this upstart, inexperienced district attorney"...

Dewey was District Attorney for New York County (the borough of Manhattan).

However, in 1942 Dewey was elected Governor of New York, so it's a cheap shot in 1944.

It is what I meant nonetheless:eek:

I knew that - that cheap shot is alt-FDR's.

One of the weaknesses I have as a writer is a tendency to instill a bitterness in many characters. Although I feel that, having lost largely to negative campaigning, the FDR swipe at his successor is somewhat plausible. :eek:

Last edited:
One of the weaknesses I have as a writer is a tendency to instill a bitterness in many characters. Although I feel that, having lost largely to negative campaigning, the FDR swipe at his successor is somewhat plausible. :eek:

That seems realistic, especially in this case:)